PDA

View Full Version : Help! Overland won't go forward

cdawg
2003.10.21, 07:51 AM
Last nite I put a new titanium main gear, 11T pinion gear and GPM wide aluminum rims and 30g wide tires in the rear. It seemed to run ok, but on my hardwood floor it would start slow then pick up speed and seemed to run slow. Now it will no longer go forward. reverse is fine. I was using an x-speed motor. Tried the stock motor and same problem. I guess I burned out the forward FET. But could the new tires and gear have caused the problem, and if so am I stuck with only using stock tires. The tires look great and stick well.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mondo
2003.10.21, 08:00 AM
Wow, sorry to hear that.

You mentioned an 11T Pinion gear. Did you change the motor spacer in the gearbox?
If not, perhaps your mesh was all wrong, thus causing binding and resulting in the FETs overheating and dying.

cdawg
2003.10.21, 08:04 AM
I was using the long spacer for the 11-12T. It seemed to run smooth. I replaced the Main gear mount with an alloy one, and I did notice some rubbing on the inside by the main gear.

arch2b
2003.10.21, 08:34 AM
the overland electronics were not thought thru in my opinon. considering the gearing, they should have used something similar to the 02 electronics (with an apparent higher draw capacity). that said, they also seem to be a crap shoot as far limits they can handle. i've read alot of stories about some frying fet with a stock or x-speed motor and regular wheels/tires and many that have had no problems with the same motors and monster wheels/tires. what can you do:rolleyes:

well, it's the perfect excuse to get a fet upgrade and you'll never have to worry about it again. i run a drac neo-a-bb with monster tires on a 2x2 chassis with out any problems. i would recommend atleast a 2x3 upgrade though.

as far as the main gear rubbing, again, gpm seems to have variations in it's manufactureing. i have one it main gear that is smooth as silk and another that is noisy but causes no harm. adjusting the mesh with spacers is critical though. my problem seems to be one motor heat sink that is slightly off in fit and requires shimming. nothing gets rid of the noise though but i'm not tearing up anything so i'm not complaining.

cdawg
2003.10.21, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the reply. Good to know that this is a fixable problem. When you say 2x3 do you mean 2 stacks of 3 FETs?

Thanks.

arch2b
2003.10.21, 12:52 PM
yes, 2 stacks of 3 fets.

my 2nd ol was used with burnt forward or reverse fets. i had them replaced/upgraded and it's been great ever since