PDA

View Full Version : Break in procedure?

Vmax
2003.11.26, 12:41 AM
Hey everyone,

My wife and I just picked up a couple of Overlands (I got the X5 and she got the Land Cruiser). I noticed that the suspension on the cruiser is very tight and has little reboud and articulation due to this. Is there a good way to break in the suspension, like sanding down the pillow balls or something?

Oh, and these things are a blast!

toyotaland369
2003.11.26, 08:21 AM
try lubing the shock pins. and glad to see you like them!

Vmax
2003.11.26, 10:11 AM
I took the suspension apart, the shocks themselves are fine. It seems the stiction is coming from the two plastic links and four pillow balls at either end of the vehicle. I am hesitant to bore out the eyelits on the links; I'm afraid I will mak them too loose.

Anyone else had this problem?

Newbster
2003.11.26, 11:37 AM
It's a common problem, The best thing to do is polish the balls and make sure the top screw is loosened enough so that you can see a slight gap (just barely enough to see light on the other side) and than just use the overland, they will soon break themselves in.

stuZ
2003.11.26, 01:47 PM
first of all, you must have a very cool wife!!

secondly, if the previously mentioned advice doesn't work, you could get the kyosho upgrade 4.8 pillowballs, they're great.

schlabinski
2003.11.26, 01:58 PM
I don't mean to undermine your assessment of the problem, but I went through a similar thing with my OL. You might double-check the shocks as a source of the binding before doing anything too drastic. With the shocks removed from the chassis, it seemed to depend on the angle in which I pushed them down--sometimes smooth, sometimes a bind.

For grins, check the thread below on how to alter the angle of your shock body:
stock OL shock fix (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9892)

Cheers,
jeff

Vmax
2003.11.26, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by stuZ
first of all, you must have a very cool wife!!

Yes, I do have a cool wife! :) We used to race Micro's when we lived in Utah. We just moved to New Mexico and thought the Overlands would be fun for in the house. They sure are! We have lots of moving boxes which we use as bumps and ramps to go over the coffee table.

Originally posted by schlabinski
You might double-check the shocks as a source of the binding before doing anything too drastic.

Last night I had the shocks completely off and there was still a lot of resistance while I twisted the suspension. Perhaps some shock binding is occuring, and multiplying the problem. I guess I have some things to go over tonight.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions!

DNF RIDER #4
2003.11.26, 05:42 PM
i put the balls in a electric drill and put it on meidium speed for a while when they were still in the socet this losend them up a bit:D

Vmax
2003.11.27, 09:14 PM
Well, last night I did the drill thing, polishing, and the lube. It has seemed to eliminate my binding problem. Thanks again for all of the help.

DNF RIDER #4
2003.11.27, 10:23 PM
happy to help enjoy :D