PDA

View Full Version : RCP Track Review

efsee
2003.11.28, 10:57 AM
Last night I finally received my much anticipated RCP Track (actually, I bought 3 tracks in the Wide ďLĒ configuration). So far I just took one track out of the box and built the Wide ďLĒ track just to give it a try. Following is my opinion so far:

Assembling:
Assembling the track was a piece of cake. The RCP Track is well engineered and everything fitted perfectly. No tools needed just as advertised. Building the track for the first time will take a few more time because the side rails must be assembled, but if you store the track with the side rails already assembled, the second time around should be a snap.

Surface:
As for the track surface, I tried the rough side of the mats (one side is rough and the other is smooth). The grip is excellent. I used my MR-01, which is setup for our LHS track (particle board plywood surface with concrete sealant), and the car handled great (grip is so good that I couldnít make my car spin. Iím using 15 deg Rad tires in the rear, and stock tires in the front on a Corvette body). This was a plus for me, as I didnít want to be having to make major setup changes between our LHS track and the RCP Track. Iím sure that playing around with a few tire combinations will be all I need for further fine tuning.

Side rails:
Iíve been reading that at the Mini-Z Cup Finals a few racers were complaining about the foam side rails. No complain here! The side rails are excellent, and I think that trying to avoid them in order not to loose speed or bounce back is just part of driving. Also, the grip is so good that the rails are easy to avoid, and another plus is that they donít damage the Mini-Zís body. On the servo or steering plate braking issue, no problems so far. I think that the issue might rise when you get hit on the wrong place by another car, but this can happen on any track.

Overall:
So far Iím very impressed with the RCP Track. The quality is excellent, the setup is easy, you can have many different configurations, track width is perfect at about 34Ē, and the surface if excellent as well. The price might be an issue, but if you want a quality track with multiple configurations, I think the investment is well worth it.

I havenít taken any pictures of the track yet, but I hope to take a few this weekend when I assemble the 3 tracks, so I hope to post them later. To give you an idea of how configurable this track is, Iím attaching the 35 different track layouts Iíve come up with so far, that you can build with 3 Wide ďLĒ tracks.

efsee
2003.11.28, 11:01 AM
Sorry, I hope the Track Layouts image comes out now...

Hammer
2003.11.28, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the great report! BTW, where did you purchase your RCP tracks?

2EZ
2003.11.28, 08:21 PM
What was the cost?? do you feel the the three is enough??

efsee
2003.11.29, 02:40 PM
Space limitations and money were the factors why I bought 3 tracks. Actually, I have the space for 4 tracks, but had the money for 3.

Are 3 enough? Well, I think itís a matter of opinion, but as you can see from my track layout designs, I am able to build tracks in a full 7x4 grid (22.67í x 12.83í) and even on an 8x5 grid (25.67í x 16í) leaving a few empty spaces. The Mini-Z Cup Finals track was built on an 8x5 grid, and you can build it out of 4 tracks. So, in my opinion, I think 3 tracks give you a pretty good size track and many different layout configurations. Here is a picture of my first track layout in a 7x4 grid configurationÖ

My RCP Track (http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/tracks/RCP_Track_01)

P.S.: The grip on the track is so good that I feel that the X-Speed motor cars are slow. My turbo FET Pro-Z runs great, and you can really enjoy driving it on this track. So I can tell you that Iím pretty much happy with the 3 track layout. I feel itís enough to really enjoy racing our Mini-Zís.

arch2b
2003.11.29, 03:36 PM
wow, that is an impressive layout! the track design images doens'y do the real thing justice in terms of grasping the real size of it. looks great! so, your not going to tell us how much they were? i'm interested in seeing the price range as i'm certain there will be differences from place to place

RCPMini-z
2003.11.29, 05:08 PM
In the US, the price of the tracks at your local hobby store should be very close to retail. Most tracks that sell at these retail prices include shipping costs to locations within the Continental US. The track boxes are a lot bigger than your average RC product, so they carry a high shipping cost. So when you look at the price of each track, remember it includes a high shipping cost. Hobby stores are not obligated to sell the tracks at these prices.

Retail prices:

Narrow Oval......$ 119 USD
Wide Oval..........$ 149 USD
Wide "L" Tur.n...$ 199 USD
Off road expansion -
(12 off road tiles, side rails and 24 PINS)..$65 USD

arch2b
2003.11.29, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by RCPMini-z
... Hobby stores are not obligated to sell the tracks at these prices...
that's why im interested in seeing what others are paying.....

Draconious
2003.11.29, 08:09 PM
***(actually, I bought 3 tracks in the Wide ďLĒ configuration)***

So he blew $600 on a track? :)

I think maybe 1 out of every 1000 mini-z/mini-car owners would actualy do that...

efsee
2003.11.29, 08:26 PM
Hey Drac, just to put the facts straight, final cost for the 3 tracks down here to El Salvador was $790.00, and I must say that I feel they were well spent, as down here in El Salvador we don't have much options.

This it our LHS track, which cost us about the same or more, but without the design layout flexibility, nor the surface quality, which by the way we need to re-paint once in a while.

Our LHS Track (http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/tracks/Hobby_Center_01)

I'll definately take the RCP Tracks.

Ken Mifune
2003.11.29, 08:48 PM
Congrats efsee on your new track. It looks great and fits very well in your space.

arch2b
2003.11.30, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by efsee
...final cost for the 3 tracks down here to El Salvador was $790.00...

so that was about $263 per track including shipping....that's all i was looking for;) which doesn't seems so bad considering the shipping distance. i appreciate the review as well. it helps make the rest of more informed consumers:D

mini-z
2003.11.30, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by 2EZ
What was the cost?? do you feel the the three is enough??

FYI they are now available in the Shop:

http://mini-zracer.com/shop/products.php?pid=11

Note that that price is to your door!

:cool:

mini-z
2003.11.30, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Draconious
***(actually, I bought 3 tracks in the Wide ďLĒ configuration)***

So he blew $600 on a track? :)

I think maybe 1 out of every 1000 mini-z/mini-car owners would actualy do that...

I'm not sure that "blew" is the appropriate term; these tracks are really good value, I think you are incorrectly comparing them to raw tiles, and by doing so not considering the critically important features such as the amazing barrier system, and the textured racing surface. ;)

Ken Mifune
2003.11.30, 05:37 PM
Where's the love, Drac?

arch2b
2003.11.30, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Ken Mifune
Where's the love, Drac?
he's got his own tile track going....

Draconious
2003.11.30, 07:22 PM
Blew, Spend, Dish Out, whatever you want to say, then say it...
I do not refer this to be "Wasted" if thats how you read it...

I am not comparing them to anything... the price is just too high regardless of what it is, for the average Z owner, as of late its more and more kids upgrading from bitcharges, zip zaps etc...

Ken Mifune: "Where's the love, Drac?"

Hu? You say this why?

Was the fact that it costs $600 for 3 tracks a secret or something? If I am not mistaken he him self said it was 200$ for one ;) I was just adding things together... my point? the vast majority of Mini-Z owners are kids they likely could hardly afford the Mini-Z let alone spend $200-$600 on a track...

$50-$150 would more likely be what they expect to pay for a track...

arch2b
2003.11.30, 07:27 PM
a vaild point....thus my many questions regarding pricing. i was hoping this would be the break the average z owner needed to get a chance to race on a professional track. sort of the common ground for the newbies and experienced alike... at the retail pricing however, it's about as affordable as a new rtr for most... don't get me wrong, from what i've heard and seen of the tracks, they are top notch. i'll end up getting one at some point too, just not as soon or as many as i had hoped. i do know an oval will not hold my attention for more than 5 min's though;)

Draconious
2003.11.30, 07:33 PM

Only because I do not wish to spend $800-$1000 for the size track I wish to make, and the track will be my own, not a production track... like the RCP... The RCP track also does not yet allow the type of track I want... although he is working on them he does not have 45 degree parts and other size turns available yet...

davkin
2003.11.30, 08:04 PM
I'll agree with Drac on this. The price is too high for the average Z owner, it's really more of an investment for a hobby shop to make. I'm spending less than $100 to cover my elevated 8' X 16' track with foam tiles, and that's with painting and glueing barriers to them. Add that to what I spent to make the platform in the first place and I've already spent way more than I wanted to. No way I could spend $400-600, and that track wouldn't fit on my platform anyways. Don't get me wrong though. It's a great looking track and from everything I've read about it, it's a great track to run on, and if I could afford one I'd buy one.

I have to disagree with one thing you said Drac. I don't beleive the majority of Z owners are kids. I only know one juvenile that owns a Z, everyone else I know that has a Z or OL is an adult.

David

Ken Mifune
2003.11.30, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by arch2b
Yes, I have known this for quite a while but there's no need to be over-competitive to the point of sounding brash and insulting.
And as a moderator he should choose his words more carefully.

lfisminiz
2003.11.30, 10:58 PM
For a area of about 20'x12' .How many wide L tracks would i need? Thanks.

Ken Mifune
2003.11.30, 11:06 PM
The Wide L is approx. 10'x 13' but you can add tiles to suit your needs.

Donut
2003.12.01, 06:07 AM
The RCP-Track looks really great and would be perfect for our hobby shop here but...must agree with some...:( ...beyond our budget...and I'm not even a kid (with a zipzap) anymore...wahhh!

efsee
2003.12.01, 08:14 AM
I donít know how things work at the LHS you guysí race, but at our LHS, we were content that the owner provided us with free space. Then we got together 15 racers that were willing to have a decent track to race at, and we each put down $50.00 to build the track. Now, we have a free track to race at, and those who didnít put down the initial investment must pay a daily or monthly fee to use the track. I think this is a fair deal for the LHS owner. Iím sure that if at the time we built the track we would have had the option of the RCP Track, we would have bought a few sets instead, and as I mentioned earlier, have the flexibility to change the track layout, which is an option we donít have right now.

Also, I think that most of us posting on this thread have at least 2 Mini-Zís if not more, and have probably invested a lot of money on them. Then, why wouldnít we be willing to spend $200 or $600 on a professional track to run our Mini-Zí. The other cool thing is, you can get together with another friend or two, and each buy one track so later you can put them all together.

OK, I admit the RCP Tracks are not cheap, but looking at the product you can see they are top quality. And maybe not everybody will be able to afford one, but at least for those willing, there is finally a very good optionÖjust my 2 cents.

arch2b
2003.12.01, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by efsee
...Also, I think that most of us posting on this thread have at least 2 Mini-Zís if not more, and have probably invested a lot of money on them. Then, why wouldnít we be willing to spend $200 or $600 on a professional track to run our Mini-Zí. The other cool thing is, you can get together with another friend or two, and each buy one track so later you can put them all together.
well, i can explain...i've had to plead and be very nice to the misses to get what i do have and to double or triple the investment is just out of the question. sure i've spent alot on my z's but it's also been a process covering almost 2 years. by the time i save for 2 years to spend that much on a decent track, i have no doubt the next best thing will be available from rcp, which will likely and rightly so, cost more

...OK, I admit the RCP Tracks are not cheap, but looking at the product you can see they are top quality. And maybe not everybody will be able to afford one, but at least for those willing, there is finally a very good optionÖjust my 2 cents.
i completely agree with you on this. rcp's tracks look to be the best thing available that is also mass produced as a ready set so to speak. i still think it's out of the average person's price range though....i mean if each track were bumped down to the previous tracks price....it would still be expensive but more bang for the buck. an small oval for over one hundred bucks is good for bits and other micro rc's but will have you banging you head against a wall using z's or xmods.

my opinion in no way is ment to disparage rcp or his tracks. he has been nothing but gracious to this community and the tracks appear to be great.
my opinion was this, these tracks had the opportunity to provide ALL (or a larger percentage of) racers the chance to own and race on a PROFESSIONAL track. this, in my opinion is a big deal because it level's the playing field so to speak. i am in no way blaming rcp...actual cost alone may have prevented this from being a possibility for all i know

Draconious
2003.12.01, 09:47 AM
Ken: Yes, I have known this for quite a while but there's no need to be over-competitive to the point of sounding brash and insulting.
And as a moderator he should choose his words more carefully.

Ken, you seem to think that I plan to mass produce a track like RCP... well I dont. There was a time I was considering it, but for the last year, since RCP posted he was going to sell a track, I abandoned it... if I even concider it again, it would only be because of his prices... My priority is not to make the money, its to get ppl a track, and hopefuly make money while doing it... so from that point of view im definatly going to think it costs too much...

I have been emailing RCP a lot, since he poked his head into the forum with that bridge track etc... wich just happen to be useing the foam tiles I was going to use, it confirmed that they were useable for a track, so I started focusing on the tiles again, instead of using my dads crude wood shop to make wooden track sections...

At first he was very helpful but either he thought I was more of an employee of this site (he said he knew i had my own site) or changed his mind, but he was going to "send me a track and see if I could sell it on my site"... but I guess some were along the line he thought when I said "my track" I was trying to compete with him or something...

When I say my track, I mean "MY one track that I will build for my self to run my Z on", not "my track that I plan to sell 100s of"...

When he quoted that a track would cost just under the cost of a new F1, to me that meant just under 100$... but I forget the real price of an F1 is $150... and I was assuming it would be more than an oval... since no one realy wants to just go in circles, heck I can stick a broom on the floor and drive around that lol...

I like the RCP track, weather I have driving on it or not... I am not bashing it... if you can afford it, by all means go buy one. If I got a free track, or won one in the contest I too would be praising it left and right... but I would still be complaining about the price...

And ok maybe not the majority but there are a LOT of kids, and a lot of college ppl, and a lot of ppl that just are not THAT financialy into this hobby...

arch2b
2003.12.01, 09:52 AM
ok, before this gets out of hand and way off "track";) the point has been made.

this is and should get back to track reviews:D anyone else lucky enough to get one, please chime in....

HammerZ
2003.12.01, 11:59 AM
Any time something new comes out the price is going to be high. I think the maker has to try to make back the development costs and see how the product would do in the market. I would buy one of these tracks but right now money is tight for one thing, and another thing I would wait to see if it becomes a standard if the expansion packs are around the corner. Maybe later the price may be more agreeable with the "average joe" who wants a track for himself.

Ken Mifune
2003.12.01, 02:29 PM
via email RCP has told me that any upgrades and expansions will work with his previous sets. His plans are to add 45 degree turns, larger radius turns...
He is also working on developing a tasteful banked turn. Nothing outrageously steep so the F1s don't get hung up.
All cross-compatible.

arch2b
2003.12.01, 03:35 PM
rcp has told us this himself in conversaition across several threads...i'm sure as time goes on, new and better things will be available for the rcp tracks.

drac does make a good point though, it's easy to sing the praises when you won, and rightly so, a nice track while the rest of us will have to go broke to do so. i understand your enthusiasim as i would be doing the same thing. but for the rest of us poor schlubs, we are resigned to a bit of bit of envy and frustration...nothing personal.

THRC Dan
2003.12.01, 04:56 PM
Actually I just purchased 4 of the large L's..... What Im trying to solve now is a way to store them.
Leaving the rails attatched is the most efficient way of taking down and putting back up, but the tiles have to be stored where they won't become distorted. The prime way is on edge... or take even the rails apart and re pack it flat like from the factory..

I have looked around for a container around 3 or 4 foot in length for the track parts but cannot find one yet... The internal dimensions must be a minimum of 20" X 20"

If any of you come up with a good solution, I would like to hear it...

thanks
dan

Draconious
2003.12.01, 05:40 PM
dare I say this, but buy some cheap foam tiles ;) and fit them together like a box... and put the RCP track in them :D hehehe... this is how I plan to store mine... the track becomes the box.

Hammer
2003.12.01, 06:28 PM
THRC Dan, I have 2 of the wide L tracks on the way. Iíll let you know about storage when I get them.
Drac, thatís pretty funny and a good idea, Iíve have quite a few of the foam tiles left over from jobs. Iíll check it out.;)

Ken Mifune
2003.12.01, 08:32 PM
...it's easy to sing the praises when you won, and rightly so, a nice track while the rest of us will have to go broke to do so. i understand your enthusiasim as i would be doing the same thing. but for the rest of us poor schlubs, we are resigned to a bit of bit of envy and frustration... That was never the issue so lets just drop it.

arch2b
2003.12.01, 08:40 PM
never said it was....i did not mean to offend you:( , consider it dropped

efsee
2003.12.01, 08:50 PM
THRC Dan, wow! 4 tracks. Congratulations!

Good question on the ideal storage. In order to facilitate the track assembly, its best to leave the side rails on, but then storage is kind of complicated. I currently have my track staked on the floor in blocks of 4 tiles already fixed together. This makes it much easier to build the track later, as there are fewer pieces. However, the track pieces are kind of bent, and Iím worried they can get ruined. Do you think they will straighten out later? I am also still trying to figure out how to store them, so I would also like to hear if anyone comes up with a good solutionÖ

lfisminiz
2003.12.01, 10:47 PM
Im thinking about getting a track.From people that have one or RPC himself,some questions.If you get 2 wide L tracks,whats the max size you can make(dimensions).Whats the difference in texture of the surface of both sides.advantage/disadvantage.Can you use a vac to clean it?Will the tiles hold up in a cellar environment.If i incorporate any jumps ,temporarly for overlanders,will any bouncing or flipping on tiles harm them?Thanks ahead for replys.Big investment,need some answers.

RCPMini-z
2003.12.02, 10:01 AM
efsee.....Although taking the side rails off and storing the tracks flat, is the best way to ensure the tiles will remain flat the next day, I occationally store some of my personal tracks in sections of 4, up on their edge. Yes, my tracks also tend to bend a little while storing in this manner, but once I lay them back on the ground, they tend to just flatten back out. The tiles are made of mostly rubber, so even if by accident the tiles get stored with a large bend, bending the tile in the opposite direction usually corrects the situation.

To facilitate the track assembly, leaving the side rails on, is the best option. When storing my personal tracks, I sometimes take the side rails off. When I do this, I don't unscrew the PIN, I simply pull on the side rail away from the mat, which pulls the PIN through the bottom mat, leaving the PIN attached to the side rail. To re- assemble, just simply push or pop the PIN/side rail back through bottom mat hole. I have designed a new PIN for the side rails that will be incorporated into future orders, and will help to make an even quicker and easier assembly, if you choose to unscrew the PINS while storing. Here is a sample picture of them. I have introduced these new PINS into my overseas Kyosho label tracks and they will be incorporated into the US tracks sometime early next near.

Draconious
2003.12.02, 10:41 AM
I did not know the pins even had threads on them... I thought they were just a press fit type of plastic thing... a fat white nail in a way...

Why even make them out of plastic? Have you already tried just making a slightly over sized pin out of the same foam the tracks are made from and just shove it in the hole? a friction fit...
If you removed the plastic pin from the cost of production, and used scrap foam blocks (maybe a cheaper grade), whoever is making the tiles has from left overs, cut them into dowel/pin/cylenders it might drop the cost some...

You could then sell the plastic ones you had produced already, as upgrades or something...

Foam pins might "disapear" better.. not as noticeable...

Its possible you got a realy cheap source to make those pins, but they look like they might actualy cost more than the track... at least in my hunting for places to make plastic parts...

RCPMini-z
2003.12.02, 10:43 AM
lfisminiz.....mzr will soon be working on a program that will allow you to:

a) Design your own track layout and the program will then tell you how many RCP-Tracks it will take to make your track.

b) Type in how many RCP-Tracks you plan on purchasing and the program will then give you a large variety of track layout suggestions.

If any of the mzr members have additional track program suggestions, feel free to post them and we can see about incorporating them into the new track maker program.

There are two textures. The bottom texture is smooth and will allow the mini-z cars to slide or drift. I like to use this side for my 1/43 and smaller rc cars, because I experience traction roll when using the 1/43 and smaller cars on the rough side. The rough side is basically a groomed EVA texture that will give the mini-z cars with soft tires that extra grip. Install foams on your car and it will feel like your on rails.

I don't see any reason why the tiles wouldn't hold up in a cellar enviroment.

Although the rough on road tiles will work with your Overland, I suggest using the smooth on road surface or add the off road tiles to your track, because the smoother surface of these tracks helps in the traction roll problems usually seen on a high grip track with the Overlands. I used similar tiles for a track I previously set up for my 1/10 scale RC party business. I used EVA foam tiles for this 1/10 scale track and the tiles held up very well. They are really quite durable.

My off road and on road tiles will be used at the first Kyosho Mini-Z Cup regional Dec 6th, so we should get some reviews of this unique surface next week.

Hammer
2003.12.02, 10:45 AM
RCPMini-z, will you be making the new PINS available to those of us who have purchased your tracks already? Removing the PINS may be the best way for me to store my tracks.

RCPMini-z
2003.12.02, 11:08 AM
Yes, they will be available seperately. I would suggest trying the method of pulling the side rail off with PIN attached, as mentioned above.

Any new additions or improvements that I incorporate into production, will be designed to work with all the original track tiles. For example: 45 degree transitions, road deflector tiles and large radius turns will interlock into your track.

RCPMini-z
2003.12.02, 11:21 AM
Drac, Yes, I originally had many designs for the PIN, similar to what your describing. They all worked to hold the side rail with horizontal impacts, but failed to hold the side rail from poping vertically. If the user does not mind ocassional vertical lift on the side rails, I made the bottom PIN connector so it fits very snug into the hole of the tiles and side rail. Because of this, the user doesn't have to install the top threaded PIN connector, just simply slide the bottom PIN in, if they are lookinig to facilitate the assembly.

Draconious
2003.12.02, 12:00 PM
As for your track editor program...

Say the user starts with a blank screen, let them just free-sketch a line on the screen, and have the program fill track parts around the line as needed... then they can use that to start editing from it....

PS, I sent an email regarding the 45' sections... I would like you to concider my way of doing them, before you get too deep into however your going about it...

arch2b
2003.12.02, 12:01 PM
the offroad sections look very nice:D i can't wait to see what if any special sections you come up with for overland course;) if i had the opportunity, i would love to run some overlands around on a track...

btw, the images on your website are rather poor quality and difficult to discern. i guess we can wait till the new features are available here as it doesn't make sense to do things twice;) nay time line for these new online features? it would give me something to do while waiting to save up for a track or two.

RCPMini-z
2003.12.02, 12:03 PM
Hey Drac, I have not spent any time developing a tote for the tracks, but this is something maybe you would want to look into. Although I don't think your idea of using EVA tiles in the shape of a box will work to well, because one complete L Turn track weighs approx. 35 lbs. I am thinking of something made out of styro-foam similar to drink storage coolers, with a stryro-foam lid that fits snug over the tote.You could even design it with vertical rails so the tiles will stand on their edge with the side rails attached.

You could call it the Toteconious! Just a thought.

RCPMini-z
2003.12.02, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by arch2b

btw, the images on your website are rather poor quality and difficult to discern. i guess we can wait till the new features are available here as it doesn't make sense to do things twice;) nay time line for these new online features? it would give me something to do while waiting to save up for a track or two.

Yes, sorry about the website images. I plan on fixing the website shortly. Website design is not one of my strong points and I am currently looking for outside help to improve it.

RCPMini-z
2003.12.02, 12:31 PM
Drac, thanks for your suggestions with the track. I will review your 45 degree transition later today.

Draconious
2003.12.02, 12:44 PM
Also I am not nit picking the track, i like it, just want to make it ALL IT CAN BE ;) -- umm about the wide angle curves or whatever your calling them, going by the image on the site, do they realy serve any advantage over the current curves? -- they are still nearly a 0-radius - 90 degree turn...

This is why I was hopeing you would at some point, hybrid my concept with your current ability to make and source the track parts... and even if you did in the future make a version II of your track, and it was not compatible, its not hard to make a "adapter" piece :) so you could sell a few parts now, with the standard puzzle mat edges and let ppl connect your tile track to the puzzle mats so say.. some one with a bunch of tiles and some one with a rcp track racing at the same location coudl combine their tracks...

The best way to realy tote them around, would be to just tie a strap/handle around them... no need to make a bulky container... And when 5 of the foam tiles are shoved together to make a box, they are pretty strong... one company sells a large version thats more round/hexogonal, were kids climb and roll in it, so it should be plenty strong ;). it was Just a crude temporary solution, not a real way to do it...

BTW, here is a exploded view of what my track set would look like, had I gone through with it, and or had you done a hybrid of our two designs... and basicly its a good shot of the 45' method I am using on mine.

arch2b
2003.12.02, 01:40 PM
rcp...i know you mentioned earlier some ideas for future ol style inserts, have you considered molding some jumps into tiles? i know they wouldn't be flat but they would be lots of fun! i saw the log type obstacles you posted...maybe something 2 or 3 times as big... i'd like to make a mix track consisting of on and offroad portions:D

Ken Mifune
2003.12.02, 02:00 PM
Pins: It was eventually fully assembled but we tried the track with just the pin bottoms (because we couldn't wait) and it works fine. The new shorter pin tops will speed things along. Just an idea... how about a pin top that just pushes into place *click*? It should hold since most of the impact is sideways.

Storage: I pull the pins and lay all the foam flat in a box. It is most compact this way.
Z-tip: As portable as the system is, if you have to transport more than two Wide-L tracks you better have a big car or better.;)

The tile adapter is a great idea, Drac.
For DIYers, a plywood template and a router might work.
factors:
-Do the PepBoys tiles router well?
-You might need to shim underneath the thinner mat.

Draconious
2003.12.02, 02:16 PM
razor glides through the tiles like butter, and I once crudly cut a circle out of a part of the foam tile, then stuck it on a mini-z rim, mounted it in a dremel and sanded it into a tire ;) instant foam tiles LOl and one HECK of a mess :D -- this is too far off topic lol

HammerZ
2003.12.02, 02:46 PM
rcp...i know you mentioned earlier some ideas for future ol style inserts, have you considered molding some jumps into tiles? i know they wouldn't be flat but they would be lots of fun! i saw the log type obstacles you posted...maybe something 2 or 3 times as big... i'd like to make a mix track consisting of on and offroad portions:D

Could do a "washboard" tile or just a rough uneven tile. One idea I would like to see would be a snow tile thats like running on snow and have that put into sections of the track. The snow tiles could have a slight groove to run a line or a smooth ice tile.

arch2b
2003.12.02, 03:55 PM
those are some good ideas too! i like the grooved surface idea as well as the washboard... i've run on the grooved asphalt streets all the time before they repave them and you get this wavy motion when driving over it. you could do a wavy pattern and or directional. could be a good idea for racers as well....in the run off or outer fringes you could have directional grooves that would either pull or push you into or away from the barrier edge.

HammerZ
2003.12.02, 04:40 PM
I liked the mix of on and off road. Maybe set up an on road course around the outside with off road sections cutting corners to run OL's and racers on the same track. I still think an "ice or snow" covered hairpin would be interesting. I know that it would have to follow through a number of tiles to work.

HammerZ
2003.12.02, 04:45 PM
Can't edit, I meant the grooves in that last line.

DAMZer
2003.12.02, 07:59 PM
RCP

How about selling just the barrier system in kits to us DIY selfers??

:D

NT2
2003.12.02, 10:00 PM
RCP,

Ditto DAMZer's post, I am also interested in the barriers only (for now):D :D

Hammer
2003.12.02, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Ken Mifune
Pins: It was eventually fully assembled but we tried the track with just the pin bottoms (because we couldn't wait) and it works fine.

As portable as the system is, if you have to transport more than two Wide-L tracks you better have a big car or better.;) My tracks arrived today, amazing since I ordered them from this forums shop on Sunday. Iíve only had a little time to check them out, however, RCP system is very cool.:cool: As Ken suggested, I had enough time to assemble a few track sections just using the pin bottoms only to attach the side rails, and it seemed to work fine. I did screw a couple of the tops on the pins and they worked but would require quite a bit of time if you were to use them while intending to remove the rails for storage. The alternative would be to pull the pin bottoms through the track surface mats as RCPMini-Z suggested, however, that option doesnít appeal to me.

Also as Ken stated the boxed tracks are not small. Each box for a Wide L Track measures, 22Ē wide x 41Ē long x 17 1/2Ē high. So two boxed tracks stacked on top of one another measure 22Ē wide x 41Ē long x 37í high.
Iíll post when Iíve had enough time to put the tracks together and give a proper report. :p

Hammer
2003.12.02, 10:46 PM
Can't edit. The size of two boxed Wide L Tracks, stacked on top of one another, would measure 22" wide x 41" long x 35" high.:D

firefly
2003.12.04, 02:21 PM
With the rcp track do the F1 cars get stuck in between the barrier and track, or do they break the front knuckles on impact or does it "give" enough that it doesn't snap the front wheels???

RCPMini-z
2003.12.04, 04:02 PM
I have not experienced any damage to the my F-1's or Racers. Your results may be different, but take a look at the picture attached. Here is an F-1 at a very slight angle in relation to the side border. With this picture the wheels still have another 3/16 of an inch clearance from the side wall. From my experience the front plastic wing guard usually hits the wall before the tires. I think the one way for the wheels to hit first, would be if you where traveling parrallel to the wall and took a quick turn towards the wall. You would have to be travelling pretty close for this to happen, and for the wheels to hit first. I think a servo gear might go on a strong hit, before anything else, as it would with many different track side rail materials. There is a little give to the side rails, so some protection is provided for the knuckles and other plastic parts. The other way the tire could hit first would be from a hit from another car, pushing your car into the side rail, while your wheel was turned toward or away from the rail. I think some input from those who own and actually raced on the track will be good for reviews on each persons own experiece with side rail hits. Many should be posting soon.

RCPMini-z
2003.12.04, 04:12 PM
Regarding getting stuck under the side rail, I have not experienced this with my cars, but some have claimed this happened to them a few times. I am not sure if they had the plastic front wing guard installed when this happened. Take a look at the attached picture and you can see that with the plastic front wing guard, there is about 1/4 of and inch distance from the top of the wing guard to the track surface. The gap between the side rail and the road surface is very minimal, so I am not sure how the F-1 would become wedged under the side rail, unless the plastic wing guard was removed. Quite possibly the cars got wedged at the side rail interlocking point where there is more side rail vertical lift possibilities, because of the distance from the PIN. Again, I think it will be great to get some feedback from others who have tried the tracks and to see what their experiences have been regarding this. I am sure many will be posting shortly.

DAMZer
2003.12.04, 06:54 PM
I believe both of my broken servo gears did not come from contact with the rails, rather after bouncing off of a barrier. When going into a hairpin with 3-4 other cars, some incedental contact often occurs( a little understated;) ). If you get pushed wide and go head first into a barrier, you rebound. No harm no foul until the other group racing behind you comes into the curve. Then depending on the angle and amount of rebound, you could be side-on to multiple impacts from cars just beginning to slow.

Also mixed class practice can add to the probability that a side on impact will end in broken suspension/gears. That nice clear front wing guard on F1's, that protects them so nicely, can become a front knuckle/gear beater on an MR1. I'm not slamming you F1 guys.............................Bottom line here, it is not the track or the other cars or classes!! If you run clean and patient, you will stay off of the barriers; resulting in both lower lap times as well as lower part replacements.:D

Hammer
2003.12.05, 06:39 PM
Iíve found, after driving my F1 on the RCP-Track, you can get the front bumper wedged between the rail and the track. This only seemed to occur when I made contact with the rail at a certain angle, perhaps 60 degrees, with enough velocity to cause the bumper to push under the rail. It doesnít happen often, most of the time I just bounce off. What I have found is, the more practice you get driving on this track, the better driver you will become. After a short time on the track I was able to hold a better line, avoiding contact with the walls as any actual F1 driver would have to be able to accomplish.
Iíll post a more detailed report on the track soon, as I have time.;)

francis_Z
2003.12.06, 02:47 AM
RCP,

Me too but as you mentioned, the RCP track sections are now 20" wide so it won't work with my el cheapo Sam's Club foam tiles :D

But ..... Will you just sell the nylon screw and post?

Thanks,
Francis

Originally posted by NT2
RCP,

Ditto DAMZer's post, I am also interested in the barriers only (for now):D :D

christhercman
2003.12.08, 03:06 PM
Hello,

I have never posted here before but have been an avid reader of the minizracer forum for about a year now. I would like to give my review of the RCP track.

Even though I have never posted, I own 2 mini-zís, one Overland, and 4 XMODís and have heavily researched the pre-made track option for these vehicles. I have thoroughly looked into the tracks made by Technoxtreme, Microtracksystems, and Couchracing. Other than the Couchracing product (which is no longer available), the RCP track is far cheaper and better than the other alternatives. The only other better alternative is making your own, but that only applies (in my opinion) if you are making a permanent track. In my opinion, it would be very difficult to make a portable/configurable track system that could approach the quality, portability, looks, durability and flexibility of the RCP track system and you could easily spend a lot more money trying to do so.

At Hobbytown, I paid $199 plus tax which came to $214.99 for the wide ďLĒ drop RCP track. I've seen many people complaining about the price on the minizracer.com forum and I can't understand it. For ~$200 (which is the cost of the mini-z, plus hop-ups) you could have a track which is by far the best product out there. Although I have the funds and the room to make a bigger track, the 10í X 13í wide ďLĒ drop track was big enough and fun enough for four adult men to spend most of the day racing around it (speaking from personal experience). The other track systems out there are also very nice but much more expensive and not re-configurable.

The cars handle very well on the track, with a lot of grip but you can still drift through the corners if you are good enough to race at full speed. The lane size is perfect for 4 cars or more (in a couple of weeks I will be trying 8 cars at once) but it might be a little big if you were only racing 2 cars. It would be great if the could make smaller lane options (with transitions to tie in to the larger lanes) just to add more layout options, but Iím not complaining. The fit and finish is excellent. The seams fit together very smoothly. In fact, I raced my Super Slicks (about 1:43 scale) around the track and they rolled over the seams as if it was once continuous piece.

The attention to detail in both the quality and the design is very evident. And it looks so cool! The contrast of the dark gray or black track surface (depending on which side you are racing on) and the light gray side rails and the red corner rails is very, very cool looking. I highly recommend going to the rcp-tracks.com website and looking at the pictures of the tracks (the pictures are not many or of great quality but they give you a decent idea of what the system looks like).

I had only one complaint and they are addressing that already, which is that the start/finish line is only painted on one side of the track (the track has two sides/surfaces). But John at RCP said they are working on it as I write this.

I have not received the ďoff-road, OverlandĒ type track pieces yet, but will write again after I have tried those out. I am very excited about the idea of being able to add an off-road texture at any point on the track. Later this month, my friends and I are getting together to race at my house where I am building a ~15í X 20í RCP track. We are attempting to build an overpass/tunnel and I may use the off-road surface on the bridge part (Iíll have to see if itís too rough for the mini-zís, I might have to wait until I build a full Overland track.

Hammer
2003.12.08, 07:25 PM
Finally my RCP-Track review. Like christhercman posted, the RCP-Track in my opinion, is of very high quality and looks very cool. I set the track up at my office and people, whether they were into rc or not, were very impressed. The colors, the design, and the fit are all very nice.

I still havenít had too much time to run on the track, maybe 3 hours total, but I can say it is fun to race on. I used the rough surface. I had a couple of friends over and the three of us had a great time. One driver was a complete novice and the two of us, with some experience, were able to navigate around him with no problem, so the lane width is great. Actually, after that novice driver got about a hour on this track, his driving improved 300%!

We all three had a few close laps at the end. I know my driving has improved in the few hours Iíve spent on this track!:p

Bottom line, I feel these tracks are a good value if you need a portable track system that you can reconfigure easily. ;)

Ken Mifune
2003.12.08, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Hammer
...Bottom line, I feel these tracks are a good value if you need a portable track system that you can reconfigure easily. ;) ...and they smell good too.;)

RCPMini-z
2003.12.09, 11:11 PM
I have added some new track layouts on our website that will give you a variety of configuraton suggestions that can be created when combining multiple RCP starter tracks together. I will be adding many more layouts to the site within the next few days. We are currently working on adding some additional tiles to the narrow oval track that will turn this track into a narrow L Turn. This will allow the user to create a variety of layouts when combining multiple narrow tracks together. The narrow tracks have a lane width of 23 inches and the wide tracks have a lane width of 34 inches. Blank tiles to make even wider lane widths should be available in January of 2004.
We currently have off road tiles available at the mzr store. These off road expansion kits contain 12 off road tiles, 12 black side rails and a complete set of attaching PINS. You can interconnect the off road tiles into the on road track.
In the next few days I will be adding some more pictures to the website along with some more detailed information about the track itself.
You will soon see our tracks at some very exciting and amazing events in the near future. The dates and locations of these events will be released shortly.

lfisminiz
2003.12.10, 10:26 PM
RCP,thanks for update.Just recieved my track today.Cant wait to put it together over weekend.Please keep us updated on all new developments.Thanks.And thanks to the shop for their usual great service.

arch2b
2003.12.10, 10:29 PM
nice updates:D

lfisminiz
2003.12.14, 12:05 AM
Hi,I just finished putting up my track.Its about 18-19 ft.x12 ft.I ordered 3 wide L tracks.I used 2 plus some of the 3rd.I to wasnt sure about the money.I was lucky enough that my x-mas club is always more than i need so that helped fund my track purchase.Now that i build it all i can say is its well worth it and i would do it again.I was so impessed with it that i ordered the off-road pack.The quality and workmanship of the track is 1st rate.The looks of the track puts a big smile on your face.To have a kyosho cup race track in your home is awsome.The grip is excellent.We raced on the basement floor before with pvc pipe.The traction was ok but very unenen in spots.This surface isvery good all arond.My enzo just spun on the cement,on this track it was hooked up right away.If your really into your hobby like most of us seem to be than when and if you can swing it you wont be disapointed.Enjoy and have fun.

Wyo-Mini-Z
2003.12.19, 10:47 AM
We purchased our RCP Track about four weeks ago. I can say that this is the best surface we have ever had to race our Mini-Zís on. We had tried industrial grade office carpet, Ozite and painted particleboard.

I first learned about the RCP Track at Mini-Z Nationals in Vegas. My brother and I arrived early and we helped set the track up. We learned how easy the track goes together and how simple it would be to layout other configurations. Racing on this surface was fun. Almost any combination of car setup worked. It didnít take much time to get our cars dialed in. From our experience at Nationals we new that we wanted to purchase something similar to race on at home.

One of our favorite features of the RCP track is the soft side rails. This takes a while to get use to. All of our previous lane dividers were either pvc pipe or vinyl wall trim. With our old material it was easy to ride the barriers around the track. Now driving skill is the winning factor - not necessarily the fastest car. The best part, the paint stays on your car. It does not rub off onto the walls. The only damage now is car-to-car collisions.

We also got a few off-road tiles to try. Currently we have placed them randomly within our on-road track. We tried to place them so that they are just off the desired line. This has made our track much more technical. In some areas we now have a chicane where we once had a straight. Obviously the on road cars donít handle the rough surface well, but our Overlands fly over the texture with no issues.

We have noticed only a couple of issues. The track surface sheds fine pieces of the black foam rubber. We have been using compressed air to blow out our cars. The other issue is with the F1ís. Once in a while a F1 gets wedged under the rail. This is rare. It was very common with our old track lanes.

After pricing other track systems and trying everything else, we have found the RCP track to be the best track on the market.
:)

2EZ
2003.12.19, 02:58 PM
Watts brothers Enjoyed racing with you guys at the Nats. good report on the track Hope to see ya in the future.

Tannie

Wyo-Mini-Z
2003.12.19, 07:02 PM
It was great meeting and racing with you. I hope to see you guys at Nationals this next year. We donít have a qualifier in our region so qualifying will be a challenge. We may try to qualify at the last chance qualifiers at RCX.

lfisminiz
2003.12.20, 12:55 AM
We got together to race on our track.Everbody enjoyed this track and surface much better.You can really go for any spot on track and not slide into somebody.Setting car up is eaisier.Nice review.

TNB
2003.12.20, 02:56 AM
Yo W-Y-O

Having fun down at Danseys. So far there are only about 4 or 5 people using the track, but I know quite a few Mini-Z's have been sold as X-mas presents and the LHS is starting to get more and more hop-up parts since one of the owners is running his mini-z several times a week.

Tonight I purchased a new ďchromeĒ Mini-Z MR-02RM G'ZOX Mugen NSX. The front part of the chassis looks like my Enzo MR-02, but the rear part of the chassis is like the older MR-01 Racer. However, Kyosho also changed the width of the car. Basically, if you flip the MR-02RM (front-to-rear), the wheels line up with the MR-02 (Enzo)--the front of the MR-02RM is wider than the rear end while the Enzo is the opposite. Before even running the MR-02RM I changed the tires to 20's and 30's, changed to motor to an X-speed, added a bearing kit, put on aluminum wheels and installed an internal antennaóstill no diffs. All I can write is that the MR-02RM runs fantastic and I thought the Enzo was nice.

And the stock F-1 hasn't been modified that much but it is no longer stock. I'm also using my Futaba T3PK with the Z's and loving every minute of it, well most minutes anyway. Good luck up there in snow country.

davkin
2003.12.20, 11:32 AM
Man, I wish I was going to Vegas the week after Christmas like I originally planned, I'd try to line up a time to race with you guys. If the racing gets going real well and you start having trophy races please post the info in the events forum and hopefully I'll be able to make it down there.

David

firefly
2003.12.20, 02:23 PM
Just a quick review of the new track.

Just got the L a week ago. Race 4 fully dressed F1s. The older snowplow bumper does/can get stuck at high speeds, the new kick up bumper works flawlessly, gets stuck on occasion, but not a problem. If you do not hit the walls you need not worry.

Do not be concerned about not having room for more than 1 track. It keeps the action close and eventually when you do expand you will already know how to take most of the corners. Since there are only 3 corners they do/can become beat up (with the F1ís bumpers at least). The can create small cuts in the rubber. We have now placed a small strip of duct tape on the entries and hot spots on the track. Again, probably an exclusive F1 problem.

We did have one older set of stock tires come apart on the fronts and rears after about 3 hours of hard running. They provided incredible traction but spread rubber debris all over the track and walls. The team slicks and lower compounds 30-40 of the ribbed work very well, with signs of wear, (but clean) hardly noticeable performance wise.

This is a great investment and a great tool to recruit friends that may be on the fence about getting into the sport. The quality is top notch and very professional looking. This track can be set up anywhere, snow season is upon us in the NE, and so 1 track is all I have room for. I plan to purchase 3-4 more tracks in the spring and set them up in the yard (with a tarp beneath) or in any driveway or parking lot. Do not hesitate on a purchase, this makes all the hours of hop-ing up and bench racing come alive more than most can imagine.

TNB
2003.12.20, 02:53 PM
David,

There has been some talk of organized racing after the holidays, but it probably depends more on the local interest unless others want to contact Danseyís and show an interest as well. Since one of the large franchise hobby stores is also selling the Overland now and there is talk of adding an Overland track at Danseys, the local scene appears to be growingóa good thing for the owners of the track or a bad thing if track time is harder to get in. It seems that one problem is that the larger stores donít even tell people about the other stores and tracks. For example, I spoke to one employee at a franchise store who thought the Danseyís dirt track was only open for races and didnít even know they had a mini-z track though that franchise sold Overlands. And of course, some employees tend push other products on someone even if they donít have a requested item or donít sell it instead of referring the person to another LHS. I guess that is one reason I prefer the local independents instead of corporate.

Well Iím going to get ready to go to the Z track soon.

If anything organized is arranged, Iíll probably post it on the General Discussion/Tracks/Las Vegas Ė Danseyís Mini-Z Track thread or General Discussion/Events thread.

Hammer
2003.12.21, 08:54 PM
Now that Iíve had some time, a more comprehensive report.

After a suggestion from John at RCP-Tracks, Iíve found a way to store my RCP-Track that works very well.;)

I assembled all of the 90 degree corners as sections. That would be, four track tiles, four rail pieces, plus the pins to fasten the rails to the track tiles, to make up one corner section. I have two Wide-L tracks, so there are 12 of these, four tile, corner sections. For the straight sections of the track, I assembled two straight tiles with the rail fastened along one edge, so the sections will be joined in the middle of the track. There are 16 of these, two tile, straight sections.

I can store all of these sections assembled, on edge, and they consume only 30 cubic feet (2 ft. x 3 ft. x 5 ft.) of closet space.:cool:

The best part of storing the track this way is the set up time, when you want to race. This is a computer model of one track configuration I was able to set up in about 20 minutes. Very cool and, as others have posted, this track system is great to race on and an excellent way to stimulate interest in Mini-Z racing! In a very short time, Iíve been able to recruit at least three new Mini-Z racers.

One step at a time.:D

Hammer
2003.12.21, 09:28 PM
Actually this is the track I set up in 20 minutes. Not much difference but I wanted to be accurate.;)

christhercman
2003.12.23, 06:47 PM
I posted my intial review of the RCP track earlier. Since then, I have hosted an 8 racer r/c party at my house where we used 2 of the wide "L" drop tracks and 1 set of the off-road tiles which created aboput a 20' X 20' track! First of all, everyone loved the track. 3 of the guys that raced didn't even know what a mini-z was and were blown away by the looks, design, and performance of the track. I know if I had broughtt these guys over and we were just racing the mini-z's around the kithcen floor they would have been bored in 5 minutes. Having a track to race around makes all the difference in the world and is absolutely worth the investment.

That day we raced XMOD's and Mini-z's and they both performed well on the track. The track has 2 sides, a smooth side and a grooved/rougher side. From my experience the smooth side is the grippy side. However, I personally prefer the grooved side which allows the cars to drift.

We also tried my Overland and it did just fine. We only raced it on the smooth side and it would flip if driven too hard in the turns. I will be curious to see if it does better on the rough side where it might be able to drift and therefore not turn over as much.

For fun, we raced my Mini-z Monster against the other cars. It is hard to drive on the track because of the steering sensitivity but it does not flip over like the Overland. However, it does not climb as well as the Overland when we made a 50 degree inclined hill. It was fun climbing over the other cars when they got in my way :-) . It is also difficult to drive on the track because if the tire so much as slightly touches the guard rail, it will spin it sideways right in to the railing or sometimes it will try to jump the railing. If I was a better driver this wouldn't be so much of a problem, :-) .

The big hit on the track was my new MR-02 Enzo Ferrari. None of the Mini-z's (even modified) or XMOD's could keep up. It has such a low, long, wide profile that the others just can't compete. The Enzo, once the driver was dialed in, could be driven at full speed all the way around the track. Next time I will race my F1 against it and it should be a fair race.

The off road tiles are great. They are rough enough to affect your driving line (with a standard Mini-z) without losing complete traction. And the brown color and "pebbled" texture looks great!

For fun we even ran my Mini-T on the track!

That's all for now.

TNB
2003.12.23, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by christhercman
The Enzo, once the driver was dialed in, could be driven at full speed all the way around the track. Next time I will race my F1 against it and it should be a fair race.
What is your Enzo and track set up? I'm just wondering because no one I know can drive my Enzo at full speed around the local Mini-Z track. As a matter of fact, I don't know anyone who can drive any car, including my NSX MR-02RM, around the local track at full speed.

Ken Mifune
2003.12.23, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by christhercman
...The track has 2 sides, a smooth side and a grooved/rougher side. From my experience the smooth side is the grippy side.The grooved side is the grippy side.
...The Enzo, once the driver was dialed in, could be driven at full speed all the way around the track... Did it just seem like "full speed"? You had to have eased up on the throttle at some points unless something was wrong.

'Cool to hear you're having a blast.

lfisminiz
2003.12.23, 11:45 PM
I have to partly agree on the enzo on rcp track.As posted before i have a rcp track set -up.I cant floor the enzo all the way around the track,but it flys around the track.Its the fastest and best handling out of all our mini-zs.

Ken Mifune
2003.12.24, 12:41 AM
christhercman, What kind of tires are you using to get better traction on the smooth side?

christhercman
2004.01.06, 05:59 PM
TNB,

The Enzo is stock and the track is the standard set-up (with ~38" wide lanes). You and Ken Mifune are right in that I was probably exagerrating slightly when I said "full speed". He was able to drive it very fast but I am sure he was slowing down somewhat in the corners. If your local track is not an RCP track then that probably explains the difference because I don't think he could have gotten around a carpet track or any other surface as fast as he was able to drive on the RCP track.

Ken,

I am not saying you are wrong, but in our tests it sure seemed like the grooved (rough) side allowed the cars to drift alot more than the smooth side (at least with our cars and our set-ups). But, yes, as I said above, I think you are right that he was probably not driving at "full speed". On the Enzo, which performed the best by far, we were using stock tires. The next best performer was my Porsce 911, which is riding on Yeah Racing wheels and tires (I can't remember what variation of the Yeah Racing tires they are, just that they are the semi-wide's).

Ken Mifune
2004.01.06, 07:29 PM
Chris Thercman,
Thanks for the info.

Perhaps the Yeah Racing tires is the choice for those running on Pep Boys tiles. Does somebody out there have both Pep Boys tiles and Yeah Racing tires?

arch2b
2004.01.14, 07:58 AM
i will the be the proud owner of one wide l track in a few days time;) i hope to get the offroad expansion pack as well.

i look forward to posting my comments shortly!

RCPMini-z
2004.01.14, 12:51 PM
If you have some pictures of your own RCP-Track, please post them in the RCP-Tracks Gallery section of this forum. It would be great to see how others configured their own custom layout.

arch2b
2004.01.14, 01:11 PM
see this thread;)

featured galleries (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11627)

arch2b
2004.01.14, 07:58 PM
rcp,
how about making a transition peice so that we can drive onto and off of the track to the floor? this would make it easier to add custom segments etc.

Wyo-Mini-Z
2004.01.14, 08:51 PM
Hereís another RCP Track storage idea. If your old track was anything like ours you may have used PVC pipe for your track lane dividers. We used our old PVC pipe to organize and hold the foam sections together. The tiles are held together with a series of pipe wrapping around the outside. The top joints are not glued so the top sections can be removed easily.

We used single sections of pipe to hold the side rails together. Each end is held together with the female plastic keeper from the track system. We wrapped the pvc ends with electrical tape for a snug fit.

This packs our track small enough that it fits into the trunk of our Honda Accord with room to spare.http://www.wyomingmodelerspark.com/rcp/pvc-track-holder.jpg

Wyo-Mini-Z
2004.01.14, 08:55 PM
Here is a picture with the side rails.

http://www.wyomingmodelerspark.com/rcp/wide-L-track.jpg

Wyo-Mini-Z
2004.01.14, 08:57 PM
Here is a picture of how we store the side rails.

http://www.wyomingmodelerspark.com/rcp/pvc-close-up.jpg

arch2b
2004.01.16, 08:24 AM
i came across this thread on tinyrc this morning, READ HERE (http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17498) . discounting the obviously stupid and childish comments, it looks like an RCP Track?!? am i wrong?

i know kyosho will be selling them in japan, there's nothing to say rs couldn't do the same here....can you clear this up RCP?

firefly
2004.01.16, 06:27 PM
http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F006%5F009%5F003%5F000&Page=1

arch2b
2004.01.21, 08:04 AM
i just got my track tuesday!
HERE (http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/album194/IMG_0311)

i have to wait for the weekend to set it up;) can't wait!

Hammer
2004.01.25, 05:41 PM
arch2b, did you get your track configuration designed? Sorry I couldnít send you what Iíd done.
Post picís when you get a chance. That would be when you get tired of running laps of course.:D

arch2b
2004.01.25, 07:15 PM
i set it up this morning! right now all i can say is WOW!

i'll have more to say and pics to post later tonight

i have to say the offroad tiles are awsome!
http://mini-zracer.com/albums/album194/IMG_0336.sized.jpg

now i just need more of them;)

arch2b
2004.01.25, 10:12 PM
ok, HERE (http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/album194/IMG_0457) is my layou with one wide l and one offroad expansion pack

i can't wait till the offroad turn tiles are made! i need more of these so that i can make branch off's the main track for just the overlands...that's what i woul like to do however the expansion pack is only straights.

the traction is awsome! the offroad tiles (http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/album194/IMG_0473) make very good areas to avoid for the racer's. it gives them a tad bit of wheel hop but doesn't really slow them down. they were great for use with the overlands as the street tiles (http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/album194/IMG_0474) have too much traction for the overlands and i was doing MANY 2 wheel corners with my x5! the lowdowns really help with this. i was still able to roll it though.

suggestions:
sloped edge peice so that you can drive up onto the track along a straight or a pit lane.

when will the seperate tiles be available? your limited as to what you can do with the expansion pack due to lack of curves.

RCP-Tracks, Inc
2004.01.26, 12:38 PM
The next batch of tracks that are currently being manufactured at our factory for US sales, should arrive in California sometime in early March. With this order we will have in addition to complete starter tracks, the following:

1) Blank on road tiles to make wider lane widths in increments of
19 1/2".

2) A small amount of off road textured Outside and Inside corner rail tiles.

3) A small amount of blank off road tiles, to make wider off road lanes for larger trucks such as the Mini-T and Tamiya's new 1/18 Mini- Monster truck. We are building a very unique track at RCX for both the vehicles mentioned above.

We are currently working on some designs for producing soft rubber jumps and obstacles to add to the off road tiles. It would be nice to have a little feedback on if this is something that people would be interested in. Initially we figured each user would build his or her own jumps and ramps or add props under the track to create such additions, but we feel there is a need for something that is made from the same soft rubber materials that the tracks are made. The rubber props would help eliminate the scratches and damage normally seen with hard wood or plastic props. Your feedback would be appreciated.

Ken Mifune
2004.01.26, 01:46 PM
'just a thought. Too much cushion for landings could be bad. If the material you're landing on is too soft it grabs the car and puts stress on steering, suspension, and gears. The track foam should be a good material for ramps.

krazy mini z
2004.01.26, 02:12 PM
I got my rcp tracks friday and I love it! This is the best track that I have raced on. I got the wide L and wide oval and got some offroad sample tiles. I've raced on wood and carpet with pvc and my cars always got a beating. Racing on the rcp tracks, Ive had no damage to my cars and better control.

Heres some pics of my track using the wide L and wide oval. I used most of the pieces except 4 and the offroad tiles.

pics (http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=751049)

arch2b
2004.01.26, 02:22 PM
i really like the offroad tiles! it gives you the potential to have a great track for both racers and overlands in the same setup.

they can also be placed in areas which you are supposed to avoid with races, sort of like an instructional tool i suppose.

ramps etc would be very cool. the only issue i can forsee is the anchoring of the obstacles. maybe if the were able to notch into custom side rails? i tried putting a cardboard ramp in but it just got pushed around

after a good 4 hours of laps i have to say the best review here doesn't do the system quite the level of justice it deserves. it's something you have to experience to understand. while i spent most of the day bouncing from one side rail to the next, my racers or overlands never got a scratch and teh traction is just awsome. i think this track will do more for improving you skills than any tweak or setup you can do to/have on a racer or overland.

RCPMini-z
2004.01.26, 02:28 PM
Ken, thanks for your suggestion. The prop material would be made of a firm rubber material very similar to the side rail construction. The idea would be more to help minimize scratches and broken plastic body pieces rather than to cushion the blow from jumping vehicles. Each jumping ramp would have a return angled ramp to help minimize the impact, rather than the vehicle just landing on a flat surface.

We are not talking about huge ramps, just some that had a final lift of about 2 - 4 inches.

The off road mats are very flexible, so the user does have the option to prop up the track to make humps and jumps with anything laying around the house. You can very easily create your own off road track by proping the track up in many locations to create something very similar to the off road Stadium tracks seen at public racing events. At some past trade shows, we have used 1 inch wood dowels, cut in half thorugh the middle, to make off road track obstacles into logs. We also have used model train display grass, bent in half, taped on one and inserted into a hole in the foam tiles made with a small phillips screw driver. I will take a picture of this today, when I get to the shop and I will try and post it later today. I think it is a great tip for the RCP tracks or your own d.i.y. off road track.

RCPMini-z
2004.01.26, 02:35 PM
arch2b, you are correct. The designs we are working on enable the jump to attach directly to the side rail, to prevent movement. This way you could replace the standard side rail with a jump side rail and PIN attaching connector. Each set of jump accessories would come with a replacement side rail and adapter PIN.

Hammer
2004.01.26, 06:56 PM
after a good 4 hours of laps i have to say the best review here doesn't do the system quite the level of justice it deserves. it's something you have to experience to understand. while i spent most of the day bouncing from one side rail to the next, my racers or overlands never got a scratch and teh traction is just awsome. i think this track will do more for improving you skills than any tweak or setup you can do to/have on a racer or overland. Excellent point arch2b, Iíve had the same experience. Because you donít do as much, or any, damage when hitting the rails and the traction is so good the learning curve is really improved. Just having the track set up for a few days and being able to run laps as I have time, has improved my driving considerably, not to mention friends who have come over to try the track.
The only damage seems to occur when coming into contact with other cars, but itís so much fun having someone to race with.:D

BobT
2004.02.17, 12:07 PM
Rather than add the weight of a container I opted for stapping the tiles together. This will put an indentation in the edge of the tiles. However if you incorporate a plastick corner to protect the edges it would make an excellent way to transport the track

BobT
2004.02.17, 12:10 PM
Make that "Strapping" rather than "stapping". For some reason I could not edit my original post.

Ken Mifune
2004.02.17, 12:34 PM
BobT,
How much track is in the photo? It doesn't look like enough for a Wide-L.

Hammer
2004.02.17, 01:44 PM
Thatís not an RCP Track. It is a good track storage idea none the less.;)

BobT
2004.02.17, 02:24 PM
Ken,

It's not RCP track but it is simular. The photo is of my 8x18 foot track (36 2x2 squares) packed and ready to go.

If RCP had been available when I bought my material I would have bought the wide oval knowing what I know now.

Coming up with a guard rail system was not easy and the one I have is not perfect. I probably spent as much on my track as the RCP wide oval costs.

rlc77
2004.02.25, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by RCP-Tracks, Inc
Your feedback would be appreciated.
I had read on another Forum that you were making banked turns. Is this true? That would be too cool.

Subrogate
2004.02.28, 06:16 PM
I live in Canada how much extra for shipping?

Newfoundland,
a2h 2m3

mini-z
2004.02.29, 09:05 AM
Subrogate, it's about $10/box extra to Canada - email us and we'll get you taken care of! :)

RCPMini-z
2004.02.29, 09:54 PM
What happen to the X-Z Trax?

Subrogate
2004.03.01, 08:06 AM
still here :)

Hammer
2004.03.10, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by RCPMini-z
The off road mats are very flexible, so the user does have the option to prop up the track to make humps and jumps with anything laying around the house. You can very easily create your own off road track by proping the track up in many locations to create something very similar to the off road Stadium tracks seen at public racing events. Iíve created a great stadium type course using 12 RCP Off Road Tiles & Rails, thanks to John @ RCP-Tracks. This is a straight track which starts on burber carpet then the RCP Off Road surface, which Iíve placed up to and over the coffee table spanning the gap to the sectional couch and up to the top of the couch. This is lots of fun with my Monster! I can cruise from the floor to the top of the track, which is the top of the couch, if Iím careful at the top I can the continue along the top of the couch until I fall off. The only way to fall of is onto soft leather so no damage is done. Iím currently unable to post pics, I wish I could because this is very cool.
Also, adjacent to the burber carpet starting surface is a large quarry tile area which is killer for drifting and spinning brodies, with the Monster.:cool:

arch2b
2004.03.11, 01:27 PM
that is alomst the same front end setup i have only i use lowdown shocks.
the toe in does help in the straights but it requires me to let off the gas in the turns so i don't end up in the rails.

nice setup:D