PDA

View Full Version : Lancia Stratos

Fusion
2002.01.26, 03:23 PM
I 've heard something about a mid motor mount or something on this body. What is this "mid motor mount?" Is it just the mid wheelbase or am I mistaken?

323iT
2002.01.26, 03:44 PM
I'm not sure what kinda of motor mount the car has but its got short wheelbase and giant rear wheels... must be interesting to drive that car:D

Mondo
2002.01.26, 04:06 PM
I did see a pic of the Stratos on one of the Japanese Mini-Z home pages.
I am sure it's a standard motor mount position.

Perhaps Mini-Z knows..

Mondo

mini-z
2002.01.26, 05:11 PM
Actually we haven't seen a Stratos yet as there's been no interest in them - everyone wants an NSX! The wheelbase is short on the Stratos (the first one ever to use short), so I'm not sure what it could have meant, where did you read it? Mid motor mount sounds almost like the mid-engine config. plates that GPM and Squat make to put the engine in front of the rear axle like an MR-S or 360...?

Fusion
2002.01.26, 05:18 PM
I read about it on some forum, dont remember where though=) Well, the thing is, my dad is buying that body and the NSX, and I am to choose one, because my brother is indifferent. The Lancia is cool, but so is the NSX, so I need some input on this. Also, the Lancia has wide rear wheels???

Rick
2002.01.26, 06:17 PM
Wait a minute, you're 22 years old and your dad buys you stuff? Lucky! I'm 15 and I can't even get my dad to buy me lunch, much less Mini-Z stuff. Anyway, about the bodies, get the Stratos because soon, everyone is going to have an NSX and its really boring if everyone has the same car. Plus it's so preeedy!

Fusion
2002.01.26, 06:32 PM
haha, I am not 22, I am only 17, should change that date of birth soon:D

Fusion
2002.01.26, 06:34 PM
Ok, so far One vote for Stratos

Anyone else with suggestions?

aesch
2002.01.26, 07:50 PM
I'd go Stratos too.

Could the mid configuration be an additional motor mount plate that places the motor in between the low mount point and the hig mount point. The pic I have seen tend to show that the Stratos have a rather high back end...

Aesch :)

Rick
2002.01.26, 09:03 PM
Does your dad need any more children? :D:D:D;) ;) ;)

Fusion
2002.01.26, 09:16 PM
Seems like the Stratos is the way to go then. Someone said something about the wide tires for this car? is this true?

mini-z
2002.01.26, 09:59 PM
Wait! Before the polls close I'd like to cast several votes for the NSX! This is by far the best stock Mini-Z I have ever driven. Its wide tracking and long wheelbase result in amazing handling stock! The Stratos based on the short wheelbase alone should be very difficult to control.

Fusion
2002.01.26, 10:42 PM
Is the NSX better than the CLK (handling-wise)? Also, I've heard that the Stratos has wide rear tires, seems like a great way to provide some stability for this short wheelbase car. Actually, I am also deciding whether to get an NSX or CLK

aesch
2002.01.26, 10:45 PM
My vote for the Lancia was not based on performance, just on looks, uniqueness and fun factor :) (Just clarifying)

Aesch :)

mini-z
2002.01.26, 10:50 PM
Fusion, I have both the NSX and CLK and I haven't driven the CLK in a while but would have to say the NSX is better because the first time I drove it I was shocked at how well it handled compared to other stock Mini-Zs.

Fusion
2002.01.26, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the info,

But, isn't it true that both the NSX and the CLK have the same wheelbase and wide rear wheels? (other than the fact that the NSX is lighter) , shouldn't handling be nearly identical?

funkydog
2002.01.26, 11:07 PM
as inconsequential it might seem, that little bit of weight the clk has more of, actually matters.

I know when I race my nsx, sometimes i take off the spoiler and am totally surprised that i actually notice a difference!

Fusion
2002.01.26, 11:11 PM
Hmm, then I guess the NSX is less stable through turns but more agile right? (less weight, less inertia)

funkydog
2002.01.26, 11:20 PM
i'm not an expert, but i would say maybe less stable then the clk, but not the other mini z's. Still has a wider and longer wheel base.

Fusion
2002.01.26, 11:37 PM
It'll be very interesting to see the Ferrari in action, acutally, even the Stratos' new idea of chassis configuration seems pretty different and is probably better than what we all expect. Wide wheels elmininating some stability problems during cornering, as well as the unique body design, both combine together should make a unique car altogether

323iT
2002.01.27, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Fusion
Seems like the Stratos is the way to go then. Someone said something about the wide tires for this car? is this true?
yups its got wide in the rear like the CLk

FATBOY from CS
2002.01.27, 04:05 PM
Hi, please check out this site www.connecticutspeedway.com they have a lancia with all the lights working, including rally lamps, a CLK custom and an NSX

funkydog
2002.01.27, 04:06 PM
i cynical. I've seen the stratos. Even with the wider tirers, would a short wheel base be good? Like a long wheel base is so much more stable and easier to drive compared to the mid wheel base, that i can't help but think that a short wheel base would be pretty bad.

Fusion
2002.01.28, 01:47 PM
The Stratos on that site looks so cool! Oh yeah, did anyone notice the white CLK there with the warsteiner stickers? How is this possible?

FATBOY from CS
2002.01.28, 08:31 PM
Hi Fusion,

My friend had to scan and resize a 1:24 scale set of stickers and scale them down to 1:28 to fit the CLK perfectly. The white CLK is a black on white version of the Warsteiner.:)

Fusion
2002.01.28, 10:07 PM
That's an awesome colour for the CLK, I love it:) I am getting my own D2 CLK, the gray one. Btw, what is your opinnion on the NSX vs. the D2? I know some people prefer the NSX over the CLK, what about you?

FATBOY from CS
2002.01.28, 10:20 PM
Honestly speaking, the NSX looks good but interms of balance and durability, I'd go for the CLK. The NSX's front hood and bumper tend to pop-in after a hard crash or head on collision with a barrier. My friends who have NSX bodies had to reinforce the area around the latch plate attachment in the NSX's body using a hot glue gun.

Fusion
2002.01.28, 10:35 PM
Yeah, I totally agree with what you said. I saw a Lancia on the website, looks cool, and has short wheelbase, but wide rears:D So, how about the Lancia, in terms of handling and durability?

HKS117
2002.01.28, 11:54 PM
In terms of durability I would asume poor.Notice how the body of the lancia cuts into the chassis leaving much of the wheels exposed.This can lead to many busted steering arms and servo gears.

This similiar problem can be found in the old skyline bodies they fit so tightly on the sides they give little protection to the front wheels.

Fusion
2002.01.29, 12:01 AM
On my Skyline, nothing has broken, maybe I am a good driver:D
I have now retired the Skyline and drive a Porsche

HKS117
2002.01.29, 12:04 AM
No it depends on what kind of track you race on.If you run on tracks that use hoses or anything of that sort as gaurd rails they are perfect for catching your wheel and pushing it in the opposite direction.

It's like running your car without a body on at all.

Fusion
2002.01.29, 12:13 AM
Oh, I understand what you mean now. I have hoses at home, and I used to run my 1:10th around them , and they really catch onto my wheels because they are grooved hoses. Oh well, I think it's better as a display model on the shelf;)