PDA

View Full Version : Some pictures of my tracks.

Shrubba
2001.11.13, 01:21 PM
Attached are some pictures of tracks I have made.

Shrubba
2001.11.13, 01:24 PM
The above track was made of tar paper, and foam pipe insulater sliced in half.
The lanes were nearly 3 feet wide. This was the first track that I made, about a year ago.
it was fun :)

Shrubba
2001.11.13, 01:28 PM
This track, made again with tar paper and foam, had lanes roughly 18 inches wide.
It was much better :) very very fun :)

Shrubba

mini-z
2001.11.13, 01:29 PM
Cool - is it just an oval? The interior doesn't seem to link back up...? Maybe just pits? I like the elevation at the back!

Shrubba
2001.11.13, 01:31 PM
Track made of Chalk lines, and Kyosho corner bars.
Lanes were about 20 inchs...

good track... untill it rained :)

Shrubba

Shrubba
2001.11.13, 01:33 PM
Another outside chalk track.
This was my favorite one i made outside :)
It was a ton of fun to race on!
Lanes about 20 inches.

Shrubba

Shrubba
2001.11.13, 01:36 PM
Another picture of the above track. differant angle.

Shrubba
2001.11.13, 01:43 PM
here is the last track that I made. I whipped it togeather pretty fast, so it looks pretty crappy.
it is made to have alternate routes :)
The carpet isn't good, it have a bad habit of making the car spin out to one dirrection :(

Shrubba
2001.11.13, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by mini-z
Cool - is it just an oval? The interior doesn't seem to link back up...? Maybe just pits? I like the elevation at the back!

You could run it either like an oval, or use the "infield". So you would hook a U turn, and then fallow the inside, and then pull another U turn to get back onto the oval :)

Yeah, the elevation change is fun :) if you go too fast, you might end up in trouble :) hehe.

Shrubba

Sm0lders
2001.11.13, 02:24 PM
hehe sw33t

SSJ Char
2001.11.25, 04:25 PM
Hey, Ive seen that track on your site. Very cool. How well does the tar paper work? grippy?

Has anyone over tried using those pool noodes as walls? I think they would work if you cut them in half. But i think it would be pretty hard cutting them nicely.

Shrubba
2001.11.26, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by SSJ Char
Hey, Ive seen that track on your site. Very cool. How well does the tar paper work? grippy?

Has anyone over tried using those pool noodes as walls? I think they would work if you cut them in half. But i think it would be pretty hard cutting them nicely.

I don't have a web site. You must be thinking of MartiniRacing's web site.
Also, the tar paper is really grippy, but it starts to get bumps in it either from moisture or people walking on the track, so then the car will role over easily.
I think that the tar paper has almost a little too much grip.
yes, it is hard to cut the noodles in half :) and the other problem is that the car will still be able to ride up on them because of the rounded shape. and the foam will grab your car if you hit it certain ways.

Shrubba

SuperGreg
2001.11.30, 03:10 PM
I am jelous... I really want a track to race on.. I do not have a lot of room to make 1.. i think the only place in my house to do this is about an 10x8 room in my basement.

Any ideas on how I would fully utalize that space? Could you draw somthing up for me?

Many thanks.

Shrubba
2001.11.30, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by SuperGreg
I am jelous... I really want a track to race on.. I do not have a lot of room to make 1.. i think the only place in my house to do this is about an 10x8 room in my basement.

Any ideas on how I would fully utalize that space? Could you draw somthing up for me?

Many thanks.

You could make a reasonable track in that space.
is the surface concrete or carpet?
Also, are you racing Mini-Z or F-1?
If you are using the normal Mini-Z you should be able to add a bridge with out much trouble, and it will give you more room to work with because you will be able to go under it too :)

Shrubba

SuperGreg
2001.11.30, 03:23 PM
it is concrete.. very slippery.. I have been searching for smooth carpet for the last couple weeks.. Trying to get out of this kinda cheap. I am not a very good "builder" but I think i can do it. What is the easiest way to build the bridge?

SuperGreg
2001.11.30, 03:24 PM
ohhh.. I have a mini-z Audi body right now.

Shrubba
2001.11.30, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by SuperGreg
it is concrete.. very slippery.. I have been searching for smooth carpet for the last couple weeks.. Trying to get out of this kinda cheap. I am not a very good "builder" but I think i can do it. What is the easiest way to build the bridge?

Probably the cheapest way to get a good serface would be to use paint.
there is a certian kind that will give you a nice amount of traction.

as for the ramps... anything goes :) i gues it depends how much time you want to speend on it.
use thin card board if you want :)

Shrubba

SuperGreg
2001.11.30, 04:18 PM
thanks.. I am going to use the pics you posted to try and create a plan. I was wondering if you knew what kind of paint would be best for the track surface.

Shrubba
2001.12.01, 12:46 PM
Some people say that "Roofing Paint" is good. I think it has a rubber added to it, which gives good traction.
Also, "Tennis Court Paint" would work good, but I almost think that is too rough, it will rip your tires up. Although the good thing is that Hard is the best on that surface, and it is easier to get hard tires :)
Make sure you pick a "flat" paint.
I think normal flat paint should be ok, just do some testing :)

I would maybe ask people what paint they use by starting another thread because I dont' know if everying one will be checking this one.

actually, since this track will be in your basement, you might want to use the roofing paint, because the normal paint won't give enough traction on a cold floor... just a thought.

Shrubba