PDA

View Full Version : lapcounters used at your event???

herman
2004.01.12, 01:24 AM
just wondering what kind of lapcounting system you use at your event??

any reviews would be highly appreciated... thanks...

gulfclk
2004.01.12, 10:29 AM
Hi Herman,

we use the VRS software with a beacon we made ourselves with lasers and photo diodes. Very inexpensive, you can built it yourself. The software comes for free and the system works great. It's the system where you have to mount flags on the antenna's and when you cross the beacon with the flag, your laptimer 'sees' your car.
If you only have a one car 'race', you don't put any flags but capture the car itself.

A good system I was looking into is the lap-z system, but I read the software is no good. They only seem to have a 'race' possibility, no practice, ... The system is not too expensive in Europe, accept in Belgium.

herman
2007.05.25, 06:22 AM
thanks... how about the others? what do you use at your track?

dean
2007.05.25, 10:26 AM
Your responce is 3 years 4 months later.. Is this a new record? :D

JOE KROSNER
2007.05.25, 06:54 PM
RC Scoring Pro with AMB personal transponders.

We here in phoneix have had just too many problems with CORE.

Joe

Hood
2007.05.25, 09:07 PM
RC Scoring Pro with AMB personal transponders.

Joe

How about PHOENIX..

herman
2007.05.26, 02:09 AM
Your responce is 3 years 4 months later.. Is this a new record? :D
yeah i must have missed it... been swamped... kinda thinking of finally considering getting one... so wondering what would be the best or mostly used lapcounter at least...

considering customer support and parts availability as well... and of course price... :D

herman
2007.05.26, 02:11 AM
what was your specific problem with core? based on the threads i've read, i thought it would be a breeze using that system....

Dusty Weasle
2007.05.26, 03:06 AM
CORE often produces a pronounced steering glitch as the car crosses the antenna loop. Usually its not too bad, but always annoying.

Now the AMB system has warts of its own. The receivers are bulky, heavy (CORE about 1g, AMB about 6g), and uses the batteries.

The batteries are the biggest issue as we found last weekend when we had an enormous number of missed laps. We think its because 4 AAA's are not enough to power the transponder when Neo Magnet motors (like ATM Stock) are under full acceleration. The solution is to put the finish line near a sharp corner so cars will be decelerating when crossing the loop. (We're working on a better power solution).

Also note we have had no problems with stock motors on HFAY/OLPS short tracks.

It probably won't matter for you anyhow unless you're planning to spend over $5000. If you do though, you'll be getting the gold standard in lap counters. You could even open a 1:10 scale track. Charge money, get rich. :D

I still use CORE in my garage (when its not +100deg). It's inexpensive compared to many others, the software is easy to use, the tags are lite and inexpensive, and the displays and audio call-outs easy to customize. The downside is the infuriating glitching, and the transponder tags can be scarce if you need new ones. Future support seems dubious at this time as we've been waiting years now for Kyosho to officially release the system.

(But whatever system you get, having a lap counter is the best thing you can have for your hobby along with RCP track. It's a much more real and competitive race experience once you have timing data).

briankstan
2007.05.26, 03:05 PM
I'll throw my 2 cent in here as well. At Salt Lake Mini-Z we are using my core system. Depending on where we locate the loop we get some glitch. this is very rare with my system and a little 6" location move with the loop will usually get rid of any glitching.

I have had very little problems with missed laps, and then only with the little F1 transponders, but most of the time it's smooth sailing.

All said I am very happy with my Core system. easy to use, reliable, and customizable.

hope this helps. :cool:

(But whatever system you get, having a lap counter is the best thing you can have for your hobby along with RCP track. It's a much more real and competitive race experience once you have timing data).

I'll second this quote from DW

herman
2007.05.29, 05:25 AM
any reviews for robitronic?

http://www.robitronic-usa.com/index.php?page=736