PDA

View Full Version : Slow Xspeed

jude26
2004.01.29, 11:35 PM
My girlfriend bought an MR-01 to be able to race against my MR-02 NSX and I was noticing that her car was very close to mine in speed. Her car is stock, mine has an xspeed & full bearings. So I did a speed check on my tamiya speed checker and her car had a top speed of 25kph, mine with the xspeed was 25kph and when I switched the xspeed out for another stock motor I have lying around, that one came in a 27kph?!?!?!!?
What is wrong with this thing? I'm thinking of switching to a PN speedy.

TNB
2004.01.30, 01:36 AM
Are both cars geared the same? I read sometime back that a stock MR-02 Enzo with an 8t runs 15 mph. Of course, it usually comes with the 6t on the motor. I've also ran my cars stock against someone with an x-speed and it wasn't that noticeable in the truns, only on the long straight. Now, I have x-speeds in 4 of my 5 Mini-Z's and they are all geared down.

Another thing, are you both running the same type of batteries? 650's v. 800's? Old v. new? Same chargers and charge rate?

jude26
2004.01.30, 08:41 AM
Same batteries on all runs, NiMH radio shack batteries. Her MR-01 has a 8t mine has a 9t.
But when I took my xspeed motor out and stuck a stock motor in there, it actually registered a faster top speed and a faster run to 100M.

Two runs, both on MR-02 NSX
1- With Xspeed, Top Speed is 25kph, to 100M in 14.12 sec.
2- W/out Xspeed, Top Speed is 27kph, to 100M in 14.06 sec.
Both runs with at 9t pinion

One run with my girl's MR-01 Z8
--Stock motor, Top speed is 25kph, to 100M in 14.76 sec.

There is definetly something wrong with the xspeed.

TNB
2004.01.30, 11:32 AM
Did you try running that motor in her car and timing it? I would also try to have everything constant--not just the same type of batteries and charger, but the same batteries and charger as well as car and motor when you run your test.

le1717y
2004.01.30, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by jude26
Same batteries on all runs, NiMH radio shack batteries. Her MR-01 has a 8t mine has a 9t.
But when I took my xspeed motor out and stuck a stock motor in there, it actually registered a faster top speed and a faster run to 100M.

Two runs, both on MR-02 NSX
1- With Xspeed, Top Speed is 25kph, to 100M in 14.12 sec.
2- W/out Xspeed, Top Speed is 27kph, to 100M in 14.06 sec.
Both runs with at 9t pinion

One run with my girl's MR-01 Z8
--Stock motor, Top speed is 25kph, to 100M in 14.76 sec.

There is definetly something wrong with the xspeed.

try changing the pinion gear.. the motor might be topping off too quickly.. right now i have the pn-racing modified motor.. and i am running a 10T and it is faster than the "stock" 6T..

Yeap
2004.02.08, 02:54 AM
how old is your x-speed motor?
coz age does matter, performance suffers after long usage.
i change mine to new x-speed motor y'day, and retired the old motor.
drastic change, really fast now!!

car setup:
stock MR01, with x-speed motor, full bearing, oil shock.

cheers!

TNB
2004.02.08, 01:19 PM
How many run-time hours do you think you can get out of an X-speed?

I noticed that one of the locals who just purchased an Enzo and put a new X-speed appears to run slightly faster than everyone else though we are all running the same tooth pinon. I don't really think it's a driver issue either since some of the same guys with Enzos drove his car as well.

One of the other guys was going to increase the pinion in his car, also an Enzo, but I was thinking that the difference might be because of the age difference in motors, in batteries or in the charger.

I recently purchased a new F1 and installed a new X-speed. It may run slightly faster than my first F1, but I've never raced them against each other. I just purchased several sets of Rayovac 800's and have been running 650's & 750's, so I'll see if that makes a difference.

cjtamu
2004.02.10, 11:12 AM
I'm new to Mini Z's, but from racing 1/10 cars I can tell you that brushes, springs, and commutators eventually wear on electric motors. If you have some runtime on your x-speed it could be the problem. Not sure if an x-speed is rebuildable or if there's a lathe that will cut the comm, maybe somebody else knows.