PDA

View Full Version : Tom Thumb Cup Track Configuration

latency
2004.02.15, 09:52 AM
For those of you coming to town next weekend for the Cup Race at Tom Thumb, I thought I would post up a pic of the configuration:

http://www.latencyproject.com/miniz/IMG_0801.JPG

Overall this track is much bigger than what we typically run on. This track is in a section of the store that used to house merchandise, but that was all moved for the bigger footprint for the track.

Here is another angle showing the turn onto the straightaway:

http://www.latencyproject.com/miniz/IMG_0802.JPG

And sadly, this where I spent all of my time today. In the pit:

http://www.latencyproject.com/miniz/IMG_0811.JPG

Having been so busy at work this week, I have not had time in the evenings to install my futaba dongles to use for the AMB transponders. So, yesterday was a test and tune day at the track, and I almost spent all day installing the dongles.

On the MR-01's many folks decided to solder directly to the batter terminals. I did the same at first, but was not liking the extra wires hanging out. On my MR-01's, I decided to take the time it takes, and install them just like a turbo and run the wires up the inside. I am very happy with that, and there is not a nest of wires to deal with.

Now, on to the more eventful installation. The MR-02. Using the voltmeter, we found the best place to install the dongle that would provide as close to 5V a possible. That turned out to be on either side of the PCB board where the board connects up to the (+) and (-) posts on the chassis. John installed his without issue. I on the other hand, decided to take a short cut.

Instead or unscrewing that connection then soldering, I thought I could solder with it still screwed in. Well, after finishing up, I slapped in some batteries, and BAM. Smoke everywhere. And not a puff of smoke either. This baby was HOT.

After the chassis cooled down, and I had said every word in the book, we took it apart to find out what happened. In my short cut, I dripped some solder down on the wire that connects the left battery compartment to the right. When that happened, it burnt off the plastic sheath, and expose bare wire which then short the (+) and (-) on the left side of the chassis, while in the mean time melting it into some unrecognizeable form.

In hopes of salvaging the car, I was off to the parts counter. I picked up a new clear chassis, and started the tear down of my original.

After a good 45 minutes, I had the car swapped to the new chassis, dongle installed and was ready to install some batts to see what I had... This time, all was well, and my personal transponder had power, car was not smoking, and ..... no damage to the electronics.

As much as it sucked for that to happen, I was glad I did transponder installation early. Had this happened on race day, I would have been out of the 02 race.

John and I had both bought personal transponders, and we were both running them to get used to the cars with the added weight. I really did not notice too much, other than the faster battery drain.

After running at the shop, I then came home to work on the cars some more. I had some bits on the Mod 01 that were not cup legal, ie. alloy rims, etc. After spending some time doing all of that, the 3 cars I am running are ready to go.

Now I cant wait till next weekend. I took Friday off, so I will be at the track all day to get laps in and practice. Doors open at noon for practice on Friday.

Hope to see some of you next weekend.

:D

arch2b
2004.02.15, 11:19 AM
wow, that is a very big track! that is sure to eat up batteries. make sure you bring lots of extra sets. i've found that the rcp track really sucks the juice out of the cars.

i also hard wired all the amb connectors. i took the time to unscrew the battery terminal leads first though;) i soldered them right to the ring terminal.

talk to mike about the marshalling as it doens't look like you have alot of room for them tostand around and no matter how low the overlands are they wil flip. i'm sure there will be lots of collisions as well so marshalling will have to be top notch on rcp tracks.

it sounds like you will very busy runnign 3 classes. i might just be inthe overland open but my brother will be in the mr-01 stock and overland open. btw, does tom thumbs have good parts selection? there are a couple things i need to replace that i didn't get to for the races at stampy's to return my brothers overland to kyosho spec. i am also taking off that friday so we plan on arriving sometime friday afternoon. i still haven't made arrangements for overnight stay, do you think that will be a problem?

i'll be bringing all my z's, is there anything anyone wants to see that i can bring so i don't forget?

are there alot of local racers? just want to find out what the odds are as there is always a homefield..

West.F1
2004.02.15, 11:44 AM
i am also taking off that friday so we plan on arriving sometime friday afternoon.

greetings arch. Looks like friday will be a big day for practice at TTs. i plan on doing the same as are several of the others. Gotta take advantage of that open practice.

are there alot of local racers? just want to find out what the odds are as there is always a homefield..

normally there are around 8-9 racers on any given race weekend at TTs. Past two races however this number has grown due to new members. Also, not sure how many from dayton are going to be coming. Columbus and Dayton are also the only two leagues in this south ohio area that race regularly. It'll be hard to measure skill levels of those who are coming from out of town who actively race somewhere else though (ie home racers) so race day will be very intereseting. As for home field advantage, none to worry. This RCP is new to us veterans having raced on it for the first time last weekend. You and i both won't be running on this new layout till next friday.

++++++++++

Latency or Mike- what's the word on an after race bash? better still, how about an after practice bash on friday?

For anyone who's been to a kcup already- any advice on where best to solder the transponder on the F1? Haven't done it yet but I plan on soldering the female adapter wires to the +/- connections under that black square cover plate. Hope that is correct. Otherwise, LMK. Thanks

latency
2004.02.15, 03:07 PM
But on Friday after practice, lets head out for some dinner and a beer. We can decide where when we get there, but maybe head up to Brazenhead or somewhere else...long as they have beer. :)

Draconious
2004.02.15, 03:46 PM
grr if only I didnt have to stay there over night ;) I might ponder going down tehre again, jus tgot my truck back from shop and its ready for another OH trip :) -- im flat broke again (repair fees of truck $700+), so its unlikely I actualy go, be it to race or watch... or just to meet those there... that were not there last time. :).

I would be able to afford the gas to get there, then I would be SOL on the race fees, food and hotel BAH... and the gas home LOL...

He needs to open up the back room and fill it with cots ;) lol Racer Lodging lol...

Its nice to see more room for the track! -- at first I thought the slot car track had a middle section removed to make it smaller or something... get some more photos of the pit space, did he manage to make more room?, I was VERY uncomfortable with the last setup no room to sit were I was sitting once other ppl sat behind me...

And is the "bathroom" issue taken care of? ;) lol... that facility is likely not a leagal size for this large of an event LOL.. might need a porta pot or two ;).

West.F1
2004.02.15, 05:27 PM
We can decide where when we get there, but maybe head up to Brazenhead or somewhere else...long as they have beer

"HOOTERS! HOOTERS!"... actually, BW might be a good idea too. Like you say, anywhere where's there's beer, but also a TV with sports going on (ie Friday Night Fights)

And is the "bathroom" issue taken care of?

don't think TTs will have a luxury bathroom anytime soon. Maybe one of these days, but not for this race:D

RCPMini-z
2004.02.15, 05:53 PM
Latency, have you installed the off road tiles at the corners or anywhere on the track? They should help some of the traction roll.

You can add some jumps and humps under off road straight sections typical to what Arch did and HobbytownUSA in Lincoln.
Did you see any of the posts with these humps added? You can check the Feature RCP Gallery section for some pics of the HobbytownUSA track, I don't know if Arch posted his humps there.

Just checked, Arch posted pictures in his own RCP track section in his personal photo gallery.

I received a call from the store owner of the last regional in Palmdale, California. They are interested in running RCP for there local regional event. I am driving out there next week to show them some samples and check out the space availablility. It will be your last chance to qualify before the finals weekend at RCX.

Tom Thumb Hobby
2004.02.15, 05:55 PM
Parts should not be a problem. At this point, if we don't have it in stock then Kyosho USA (GP) didn't have it to ship. Several new parts for the MR-02's have not yet been released in the USA. A few of the "high-breakage" items for the 02's have been back-ordered in the US so we are trying to get them direct from Japan. GPM tires are in but not in the quantities we wanted. We currently have only about 60 pairs.

This track is 5 ft wider and 3 ft longer than our normal track. However, this might become our 'everyday' track. We need to give a little more thought to store design. We made some major moves for this event that we might make permanent. I don't think turn-marshalling will be a problem. At least I hope not.:rolleyes:

We currently have 20 local racers entered in several classes. Other than last Saturday when we were testing the track and lap counting equipment, there will be NO more practice until the open practice session on Friday. It will be a "semi-controlled" session so everyone will have a chance to test and tune.

Latency is the man in charge of any after hours recreation:D :D . Just be careful on the quantities of "adult beverages" consumed before the race. I have been told :D :D :D that they may impair your Mini-Z driving abilities.

Arch2B - getting a room Friday should not be a problem. There are no other events that weekend that will eat up hotel space.

Drac - too bad you can't afford the trip.:( . Maybe you should have delayed the truck repair and hitched a ride down with the $700 in your pocket to cover your racing. :D I am sure we could have found you a VERY comfortable place to sit.:D

Tom Thumb Hobby
2004.02.15, 06:07 PM
Yes, we did install the off road tiles in 4 of the corners. In addition to some above track ramp sections we will also be elevating the track in 2 or 3 spots using 4" PVC pipe. My daughter and I timed a "remove and replace" session and it takes only 5 minutes for the change. Since the 5 minutes will not create any time problems I intend to use then for all Overland racing during this event. For anyone who is a World Rally fan the tiles also make a great surface for your WRX etc. simulating some of the conditions they race on.

RCPMini-z
2004.02.15, 06:10 PM
Sounds wonderful. Should be for some good Overland racing.

Oh, BTW your track looks great!!!;)

arch2b
2004.02.15, 07:31 PM
mike- thanks for the info and for making the effort to make rorom for the track;) i can't wait to see the overland track, it sounds like fun!

the offroad tiles are GREAT! as i've posted before, they are very good for reducing traction rolls for overlands and i have a very small pit lane using them. they create an awsome loose traction feel for the racers which can be incorporated into your everyday track.

rcp- glad you like my setup! the hill and mounds are well worth the effort to make and provide. my hill is about 4-6" dia. so we catch air if you can make the 5th corner at full speed;)
mike- here (http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/album194) is a link to my track with mods.... i must take the time to thank rcp for making such a great product and helping me and others make the best track they can.

i've went thru about 8 sets of cells today on the track and it just gets better and better! i really can't say enough good things about it.
i have some suggestions as far as setups:
overland- use stock tires up front and dial down the steering radius, this helps control the traction rolls.
racers- the same thing applies here except dialing down the turning radius, you'll need the tight turning to avoid pileups and turning yourself around when you get hit, and you will get hit. there is not riding the rails on rcp's which will really cut the chaff from the weat quickly. i expect the most difficult thing will be traffic and avoiding those that nose plant the rails;)

mike- you will want to vacuum the track between fri and sat. we generated a fair amount of track dust today. i would recommend everyone bring some canned air to clean the cars as well. overall, track shedding doens't effect the handling as much as it sticks to your car/truck due to static. i'm not using the slick side of the track though so that side might be different.

for all- the key to winning sat will be keeping the good line, staying off the rails and avoiding crashes. i have no doubt that with continual use, the rcp track will raise the level of competition for you locals;)

mike- any updates on the registration numbers per class?

latency
2004.02.15, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by RCPMini-z
Latency, have you installed the off road tiles at the corners or anywhere on the track? They should help some of the traction roll.

Sure did. Mike installed some in the corners. This pic was snapped in between my fights with my MR-01. :)

http://www.latencyproject.com/miniz/IMG_0819.JPG

The overlands did really well on those corner pieces. Heck, my enzo did "ok" on them too. :) For the cup race there will be some jumps and ramps as well, doing exactly what you recommend.

Switching topics, I just downloaded a pic of the MR-02 chassis post fire:

http://www.latencyproject.com/miniz/IMG_0836.JPG

That completely sucked, but I bought a nice new clear chassis from Mike and was able to repair.

Tom Thumb Hobby
2004.02.15, 08:15 PM
Arch2B - Thanks for the tips. You may be the one with the "home track" advantage:D with all the time you have had with RCP. I actually did take a section of the track from a corner and shake it hard to see how much "dust" was created by the 2 hours of running. I was surprised that there was VERY little. I will take you advice however and vacuum it before Saturday.

The class breakdown as of 2/14;

01 Stock - 17, 01 Open - 12, 02 Open - 14, F1 Open - 10, Overland - 9

BTW - Glad to hear you are coming.

arch2b
2004.02.16, 12:15 AM
ok, after a full day of racing i'm posting pictures of the track shedding dust collection on my x5 and my brothers wrx.

see me (http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/album194/IMG_0418)

and me (http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/album194/IMG_0424)

while none of this possed a problem, it does build up over time. my front x5 wheel looks like it's wearing a shag hubcap;) you can get rid of it by just blowing on it.

latency
2004.02.16, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by arch2b
ok, after a full day of racing i'm posting pictures of the track shedding dust collection on my x5 and my brothers wrx.

Nice! While I do get some of that, not nearly in that amount. Some of the other guys locally had their cars covered just like yours, while mine really only had minimal dust.

I was running a completely different tire set up than most, so maybe that was the difference.

arch2b
2004.02.16, 08:53 AM
tires- what tire setup are you using? for my mr-02 supra i have 10deg. atomic grooved rear and 30deg. atomic slicks front.
i plan on trying a set of stock slicks up front to balance the oversteer (i got the right word right?).
i like the stock ol tires for the front with 30deg in the rear. it still rolls but i don't think there is any k. spec way to eliminate that.

tie rods- i have a 1deg toe in for my x5 as i saw your track has long straights. my supra has this as well and both do well on my track but it's much shorter than your setup.

shocks- i tweaked the lowdowns (almost a must for rcp track) by screwing down the shock shaft almost as far as it will go. my brothers lc with stock shocks was all over the place

motor- while i should have used a stock motor for stampy's i think the x-speed will definatley be helpful considering the sraights you have. what pinion do you feel works well for the track?

track- which side of the track do you have face up? the textured side or smooth?
while the offroad tiles work well, for me anyway, the mr-02's got a little wiley when the it them. have you experiencec this? i know they gave my f1 a hard time.... which direction will we be running? it's going to make a huge difference in where th pileup corners will be (looks lke the mid section, 3 turns, will be a tight spot if the grid is bunched up).

transponders- what will you be using to stick these to the cars/trucks? i've read some use electrical tape but that is messy. stampy's used small velcro dots which worked well unless you really got wacked.

marshalling- i am new to this but the people at stampy's were nto happy with the marshalling rules which were;
driver can not touch his own car
marshall can not fix cars

if your car had problems you had to ask somone or have a pit person so to speak ready for emergencies. for the most part, anyone standing by did the fixing which was typicall the body/transponder getting knocked off. by the end of day however anyone and everyone was doing it all which i can't blame them really after the long delay we had.

latency
2004.02.16, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by arch2b
tires- what tire setup are you using? for my mr-02 supra i have 10deg. atomic grooved rear and 30deg. atomic slicks front.

I run radials (GPM) front and rear.

tie rods- i have a 1deg toe in for my x5 as i saw your track has long straights. my supra has this as well and both do well on my track but it's much shorter than your setup.

I have always run 0 degree stock all around, so don't really have any feedback on this one.

motor- while i should have used a stock motor for stampy's i think the x-speed will definatley be helpful considering the sraights you have. what pinion do you feel works well for the track?

No question xspeed, but for pinion, I liked the 8 tooth.

track- which side of the track do you have face up? the textured side or smooth?

Textured. The offroad tiles will ONLY be used for the Overlands. Mike has folks to swap them in between heats. Racers run full "asphault". :)

which direction will we be running? it's going to make a huge difference in where th pileup corners will be (looks lke the mid section, 3 turns, will be a tight spot if the grid is bunched up).

Clockwise. So from the picture, on the straight the cars will be going away from you. Racers will line on the right hand side of the pic.

transponders- what will you be using to stick these to the cars/trucks?

I have my own Personal, so I bought a good amount of self-ahesive velcro. I slapped a section on each car and on the transponder itself.

marshalling- i am new to this but the people at stampy's were nto happy with the marshalling rules which were;
driver can not touch his own car
marshall can not fix cars

Don't know on this. We have always done similar with the drivers, last thing we need is a driver darting out to get their car and obstruct views/step on cars etc. Mike bought grabbers for the event, and on friday I plan on trying to locate the best Marshall locations that folks will be at. I do not know this, but my guess would be that the heat that just finished racing, would marshall the next, but I am not sure how Mike was planning to do that.

Hopefully some of that helps! :)