PDA

View Full Version : best surface best price

Flux302
2004.02.20, 11:15 AM
ok i'm not paying 600 beans for a pre built setup thats just murder. so i'm asking what the best surface to build a track with is.... i've heard of foam sheets from pepboys or homedepot and allso carpet or ozzite. i'm planning on building an indoor and out door track.... wanyone have a setup they feel is the best... also list what type of racing you like to do, i like on road style and drift.

RIGDone
2004.02.20, 06:18 PM
I use the Impact foam mats from Pepboys. Very high traction and easy to store away. I believe it's the cheapest alternative to a RCP track setup.

Another alternative is laying out ply board and applying low nap indoor/outdoor carpet. This is more of a permanent track setup.

Just my 0.02 opinion.

Cheers!

davkin
2004.02.20, 08:02 PM
I use the foam mats, I get mine at Sam's Club. $15.97 for eight 2'x2' mats.

David

ripsecond
2004.02.20, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by davkin
I use the foam mats, I get mine at Sam's Club. $15.97 for eight 2'x2' mats.

David

Do you have a SKU for these?
How many do you use to make your track?
What do you use for barriers?
have any pictures by chance?

Sounds like the ticket!

Thanks

davkin
2004.02.20, 10:57 PM
Do you have a SKU for these?

Nope, wrappers are long gone.

How many do you use to make your track?

I have an 8 X 16 elevated track that's portable. One set of mats will cover a 4 X 8 area, so I use 4 sets. I have a bunch more though for expansion when the weather warms up.

What do you use for barriers?

What I'm using now is kinda complicated. You could use PVC pipe. I first used the border pieces that are included, glued them to the mats but didn't like that much, the cars would catch on them and stop and bounce back out into the middle of the track.

I don't have any pics of my current setup.

David

ripsecond
2004.02.20, 11:04 PM
Man,

I am going to sam's tomorrow morning!

Thanks

Flux302
2004.02.21, 09:19 AM
never heard of sams club guess it's not in my tri state area.
thanks for the help though i'll prolly hit up the local pep boys....
hey off topic rig i saw you have a 02 rm.... can i ask why you selected that setup?. as i am going to buy the 02 rm supra that from what i can tell is only out in japan but it just looks so hat plus i want an 02.... i really wanna drift though is rm better or worse for drifting than mm?... thanks

sleekun
2004.03.09, 01:40 PM
FYI- I'm using pepboys foam mats for my track. They have an in store sale through 3/13, 6 mats with borders for $9.98, you'll have to find a store with enough of them to do your track. the borders are important because you can use them for the borders on the track. I'm putthing the borders on with twist ties, sounds cheap but it looks good and I can change the layout anytime I want. Overall I'll end up with a 12'x16' track for less than $100. I'll post pics later this week after I complete the track.

RIGDone
2004.03.09, 05:49 PM
Check Walmart for the mats also. I've seen some people walking out with some and it seems to be the same brand as the Pepboys one.

Dragon40
2004.03.15, 09:37 AM
Here is some good info with Links and Pics

http://www.tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18305