PDA

View Full Version : F1 tires on a MR01

PAULANGELO
2004.02.24, 09:06 PM
Yes, it can be done. I cannot take credit for it though. Eric at the CP Mini Raceway did it first and showed me how he did it. Tonight I did it also. Talk about meats for the back!! :o Takes a little modding, some dremmeling and a little washer but it can be done. I will take some shots and put them up in a couple of days if I can figure out how ::). I put them under a CLK D2 body with a PN racing motor mount, and a S02 in a BB can with a 2x6 FET stack. SO you can see I needed the rubber in the back. This weekend I will bring it to the track and see how it preforms. I will keep you all updated on that.

latency
2004.02.24, 10:28 PM
...with the tires being much larger, the gearing was seriously changed.

When I did this to one of my cars, I found it to handle terribly. I thought it would do well, but it changed the cg of the car just enough (rear end was higher) that it was really not a good set up for my driving style.

Hopefully your setup will work for ya, cant want to see pics!

hrehowsik
2004.02.25, 12:22 AM
they fit well with the skyline calsonic and enzo bodies but i've yet to see anyone really happy with the setup. in theory it seems like it should work great but.. maybe you'll figure it out.

herman
2004.02.25, 06:59 AM
i've tried that once.... well actually it's still on one of my cars...

i've used the worn down gpm foams.... couldn't continue to use them on the f-1, as i would be putting the spur gear in jeopardy...

so i followed some guys at the track who found a new use for the worn down rear foams...

i liked it... you will have to use some traction compound though

PAULANGELO
2004.02.29, 07:47 AM
As promised. I have uploaded some photos of my CLK with the F1 wheels on it. I had it at the track yesterday and really like how it handles and runs. It really feels solid on the track and NO ratteling of the body (partly of the wheels, and of the foam I have inside the body) The specs of this car is S02 motor in a PN Ball bearing can. Topcad rear and side dampers, PN racing modified motor mount, alloy bulk head, 2x6 fet stack, custom antena, side windows removed from the car for added air cooling (like opening a window in your car in the summer:D ) PN racing Diff, CF H plate (thin as I could get.) I am sure I will be changing things as I go but this is what it looks like now and am looking foward to going to the track again today. Oh it is in the Home made hop ups and more album if you are interested and here is a tease
http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/album166/122_2285_IMG

2EZ
2004.03.01, 10:21 AM
I love it need to have some one make matching rims for the front
Which Diff are you using the F1 or a racer? any mods to make it work?

PAULANGELO
2004.03.01, 10:43 AM
Thanks, I would love to get matching front wheels. Maybe if I can mount the F1 fronts?? hum... Anyway, this is what I needed to do.

I am using the MR01 diff PN racing ball diff to be exact. and have to put a small washer on the diff before mounting the tire. Otherwise the wheel/tire combo will rub against the motor.
On the wheel that mounts opposite the spur gear, you need to sand/dremil the ridge that goes aroung the wheel (inside part). You need to be able to put the wheel down on the table flat. this is how you get past the width and the diff. I also dremiled the tire so the Diff worked properly. Be careful in doing this, you don't want a wheel that is wobbley and out of balance. After that, I installed the side dampers for better stability (bounce all over going into the turns without them) Now that i have it like this. I am goign to change the front tire combinations until I get the right tire componds for it. As of now, it has the stock F1 and stock MR01 tires on it. the front likes to grip a little in the turns still but nothing like it did before I put the F1 tires on it. For the turbo, this is the way to go. Now I am thinking about fitting my MNL motor on it and really see what it can do:D .

TroublesomeZ24
2004.03.08, 03:10 PM
How wide are the f1 rears?

PAULANGELO
2004.03.08, 03:16 PM
Te CLK's wheels are 11mm and I believe the F1's wheels are 15mm

PAULANGELO
2004.03.09, 01:29 PM
Correction, the F1 rear wheels are 16 mm.

FireDrakeRacing
2004.03.11, 05:56 PM
this is what you should do so you can use regular mini-z rims, i came up with this idea on my free time, and also, can you e-mail me EVERYTHING i may need to use the awesome idea for the tires?

ok guys, here it is. my first hop-up for the mini-z racer (mr-01, havent tested it with an mr-02 yet...) its like having a mini-z with overland capabilities! if any of you guys have watched the wrc (World Rally Championship), youd know what im talking about. i can now do almost anything that an overland can do with just a little common sense!!! anyway, i dont have pics yet, so ill try to exlain it the best i can, anyway, here is the list of stuff youll need:

an ALLOY motor mount (i dont think the brand matters)
a cf plate (any kind of plate, any thickness)
6 spacers (if you have stock h-bars. you can break some of those in half, or if youve broken cf ones, recycle those)
4 long screws (2 of them should be the original ones for the h-bar, and youll need 2 more for the alloy motor mount.)

Anyways, on the alloy motor pod, do NOT put the cf plate on the bottom, put it on the top, YES THE TOP. before you do this, put 3 spacers in between the motor pod, and the cf plate, then, use 2 of the 4 long screws to screw them on.

then, do the same the the chassis, before you put the cf plate on, put 3 more spacers in between the cf plate, and the chassis.

when you are done, you will have what i call, a MONSTER-Z. your mini-z now will have alot of the properties of an overland, but, NOTE: this change may affet the acceleration/top speed, it may also alter the handling, and the suspension.

you may modify this to your own settings for your optimal performance, anyway, i will try t get some pictures of my mini-z soon. thanks!

PAULANGELO
2004.03.11, 07:41 PM
Can't wait till I see the photos. Kinda hard to follow the description.

FireDrakeRacing
2004.03.11, 08:00 PM
here are some pics!

FireDrakeRacing
2004.03.11, 08:00 PM
and more

FireDrakeRacing
2004.03.11, 08:02 PM
and more...

FireDrakeRacing
2004.03.11, 08:12 PM
one last one.

p.s., the body in this pic is the m-benz clk dtm, its going to be repainted a crimson red and a red waterslide m-benz symbol will be in the back window... with my logo on the sides in black...

FireDrakeRacing
2004.03.11, 08:35 PM
one last one.

p.s., the body in this pic is the m-benz clk dtm, its going to be repainted a crimson red and a red waterslide m-benz symbol will be in the back window... with my logo on the sides in black...