PDA

View Full Version : Contest: Mini-ZRacer.com Site Suggestions

mini-z
2004.02.29, 09:13 AM
We've got a ton of exciting new Site Features planned for this year, but to help us focus our efforts, we want to hear from you, our Members, as to what you'd like to see. To enter the contest, all you have to do is post your best idea for a feature we should add to the site (or a change to an existing feature). The prize for best idea will be one set of MZR Dry bearings (you pick the vehicle: Racer/F1/MR-02, Overland, or Monster) and one MZR ?-Plate (choice of H, V, or X). The contest deadline will be March 31st, 2004. Can't wait to see everyone's ideas! :)

HammerZ
2004.02.29, 09:26 AM
My idea is to setup the MZR, Tinyrc, and Your Micro to use the same shopping cart through paypal. This would make it simpler to buy mini z stuff and bit/microsizers stuff in the same order.

davkin
2004.02.29, 11:04 AM
I'd just like to see more pics and product info on the items in the store. I often have to look at the databases in other stores to figure out what exactly an item is in your store, but there have been plenty of times where I just had to give up and therefore didn't purchase the item.

I'd also like to more GPM alloy wheels in stock, with pics.

David

HammerZ
2004.02.29, 11:11 AM
I know about that, I find myself cross referencing part numbers all the time.

Pedro Castro
2004.02.29, 11:20 AM
I agree with davkin and also think minizracer.com should start with the merchandising stuff we talked about in the past, getting more people to know what enjoiabble mini-z`s can be...
:p

mini-z
2004.02.29, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by davkin
I'd just like to see more pics and product info on the items in the store. I often have to look at the databases in other stores to figure out what exactly an item is in your store, but there have been plenty of times where I just had to give up and therefore didn't purchase the item.

I'd also like to more GPM alloy wheels in stock, with pics.

David

Just wanted to point out, Product Pics etc. is a valid suggestion (for the contest) while More GPM Wheels would be more of a Parts Request, not a Feature. However, A Better Way to Suggest Parts To Get would be a good Contest entry. :)

PTRacer
2004.02.29, 01:06 PM
There is a lot of great info on the forum, and a lot of ppl wiling to help, so i think that we could build a "Guides" section in the site, were all the members could post they're tutorials, with motor care tips, how tos on seting your suspension, etc...

That is THE thing that is missing, many other sites have small tuturials, but to be honest they SUCK:D . Guess we could change that ;)

arch2b
2004.02.29, 02:35 PM
just so you know, we instituted the "how to" album on page 2 of the gallery for this purpose. i think most haven't seen it though as it's on page 2 and it's waiting for detailed "how to's" from anyone and everyone. it just so happens that while many want the feature, there are few that contribute.... frustrating really

HammerZ
2004.02.29, 03:21 PM
A download section. Not just instruction mauals, but other stuff like decals or whatever in PDF format. Can be instructions to Mini Z Racer hopups as well.

khalu
2004.02.29, 08:30 PM
Instead of waiting for people to add to the how to album which is not getting much attention. How about just taking all the valuable info already on the forums and organizing it into the album. Lots of great info already there just need to organize it into categories to better take advantage of it.

pHREDD
2004.02.29, 08:58 PM
If I could get into the how to alblum I would try to post some how to's... I would do one on the long travel shock... I already have the pictures....and the know how to build it.

For the contest...How about doing a topic or "how to" of the month...or even mod of the month...mabey post the users racer/overland at the top of the page for a week or so. I think this would help to get people into posting or doing how to's

minizaltezza
2004.02.29, 09:35 PM
you should sell pre-modded or pre-fetted ready sets, where almost all hop ups are used, for cheaper than paying for them individually. I would have bought one.

arch2b
2004.02.29, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by pHREDD
If I could get into the how to alblum I would try to post some how to's... I would do one on the long travel shock... I already have the pictures....and the know how to build it.

For the contest...How about doing a topic or "how to" of the month...or even mod of the month...mabey post the users racer/overland at the top of the page for a week or so. I think this would help to get people into posting or doing how to's
add it to your album and i can move it

pHREDD
2004.02.29, 11:29 PM
eek!!! how do I get a alblum?

nooB
2004.03.03, 11:28 AM
As a bit of a noob to this whole thing, a glossary would be immensly helpful.

I keep reading through the forums hoping to clear up some question I have and invariably I end up with 2 or three more questions. I'm not complaining, I think the amount and scope of information is great, and the forums rock, just a bit overwhelming for some of us who don't really know our 15 degree tires from our servo-savers.

RCPMini-z
2004.03.03, 01:46 PM
I suggest a "Trouble Shooting" Section. This section can be broken up into specific catagories like chasis, motor, electronics, servos, etc. In each catagory people can post what went wrong and how they fixed it. The "fix" can either be a home d.i.y. remedy or a part you can buy. I think sooner or later most people will have something strange happen to their rc micro's and it would be nice to go to a specific section and say, Hey that happen to my car and this is how someone else fixed it.

I think this "Trouble Shooting" section should only be for people to post their rc problems along with a fix, not for just posting the problem you are having. I think the current beginner questions section is better suited for just questions. The "Trouble Shooting" section should be "Problem and Fix"

The micro industry is growing everyday and the best way to keep these new enthusiast in this hobby is to offer more features that are directed towards the "Beginner".

arch2b
2004.03.03, 02:04 PM
i would like to have a detailed/expanded profile page takes adavantage of/ioncorporates your member album.

it would be nice to have a menu that includes an image picked from your member album diplayed with a space for detailed list of parts, mods etc (would be ehlpful to have the vb code in here too). also you would be able to create one of these entries for each chassis (not every autoscale) you own.

timinater
2004.03.03, 10:39 PM
what about when you type in the addresses to either tinyrc, mini z racer all those addresses refer you to a main site where you can choose your micro, tiny tc, etc then you click onthe button or whatever than you can go tothe site you want , it could increase traffic to all the various affiliated sites.

West.F1
2004.03.04, 10:08 AM
Not sure how others might feel about it but I wouldn't mind seeing individual pics added to the members profile section.

also, a way to group the member listing by state and or country. Perhaps a modified search mode within the members tab where if i were to type in ohio, every alias in ohio would be listed.

West.F1
2004.03.05, 04:28 PM
a read only section on 'rules and regulations' where clubs can have their rules and formats posted for all to get ideas from.

also the FAQ section modified where tips are grouped into subheadings. ie Tire questions go under Tires/Wheels, motor questions fall under Powertrain, etc.. This to simplify search and repetitive questions.

toyotaland369
2004.03.06, 11:58 AM
a testing forum to try out the posting,etc. features

herman
2004.03.08, 01:30 AM
how about improving the tracks forum.... to include addresses (a map link i.e. to map quest - giving possible directions to the place), pictures, track hours, track ammenities etc...

herman
2004.03.08, 01:34 AM
how about type in a question? (a more of a detailed search function...)

to see if your question has been asked... at least it will be answered more directly....

how about enabling the search funtion to recongnize words less than 3 letters?

herman
2004.03.08, 01:39 AM
i don't know but it might just be me...

some threads allow pictures on them... how about allowing images being embedded in the threads, instead of attaching them?

herman
2004.03.08, 01:46 AM
kyosho cup questions...

have somebody moderate (hopefully from kyosho) a forum for racers who might have questions regarding kyosho cup rules....

herman
2004.03.08, 01:48 AM
how about a fresh look for the site? changing the colors to something... brighter.... like pink and peach? errr i mean some neutral color... or some manly color... or

arch2b
2004.03.12, 01:29 PM
this one just came to me...

how about a parts request/shop feature for out of stock items that notfies us via email when the parts are back in stock. this could be part of an expanded profile page or something...

Cian
2004.03.12, 01:55 PM
haven't read all the previous posts, apologies for any duplication

1. car or the week/day/month whatever, upload your submissions, get them seconded, hold a vote/poll for the best

2. that shop need photos, there's no excuse, any other comparable shop can at least provide thumbnails, I know it's tedious, but i really think it would help.

3. I like arch2b's 'back in stock' reminder mail, sounds good...

4. maybe this is more tinyrc than mini-zracer, but how about a general part request, for non mini-z part thats might be usuable in miniz's e.g. suppose I want sheet styrene, or modelling putty for a body mod. i haven't thought it all out, but maybe there's a way of pooling requests, for smaller things, l.ike small scale group buys.

5. more own brand goods. you've always been really good at high quality , hard to locate stuff. I mean, the O plate was invented here after all, just to name one... keep 'em coming!!!

There ain't much wrong with things here, you run a good site man!

West.F1
2004.03.12, 03:33 PM
semi off topic:

Regionals hosted by MiniZRacer.com!

a once a year race held in good o'l Ann Arbor, MI. Open class will really mean open class then:D

herman
2004.03.14, 11:10 PM
how about a prize for the member with most posts... with a non moderator status, not living in the us of a? :D

herman
2004.03.14, 11:12 PM
how about opening forum with custom / modified parts only???

dog
2004.03.17, 07:53 PM
i still think that it would be good to have a "clickable" picture of a chassis so that when you click on the part it either goes to a list of the stock part and the "hop ups" for the part...

herman
2004.03.17, 08:20 PM
hmm... why not showcase a tip of the day... or tip of the week or tip of the month????

if the budget allows, have a monthly prize for the best tip of the month... :D

arch2b
2004.03.17, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by herman
hmm... why not showcase a tip of the day... or tip of the week or tip of the month????

if the budget allows, have a monthly prize for the best tip of the month... :D

remember the piu? that had monthly prizes and the submissions or interest dried up quickly... i ended up winning about 3 times. i think those ideas always sound good but they rely on member participation which can be hit or miss

herman
2004.03.17, 08:34 PM
hmm... with some exceptions of course... :D three times eh? too bad i didn't know about it...

R33E8
2004.03.17, 11:40 PM
Oh! Maybe we can have a lottery. Each ticket would be like $5 or so and if it adds up high enough they win a mini-z or some parts.
I'm not sure if that the piu thing though.

Hum... Being able to upload 3 pics per post would be nice too.

More smilies:)

herman
2004.03.18, 02:28 AM
... Being able to upload 3 pics per post would be nice too.

or being able to enable the (img) function... embedding the pics would be a whole lot better... saves time from attaching files to the threads

Stamp3de
2004.03.18, 08:16 PM
You guys should start selling paints and spray paints and have custom vinyl design sets.

R33E8
2004.03.18, 09:51 PM
I think that would more likely be under parts request.

HammerZ
2004.03.19, 07:52 AM
Organise the part DB by Mini Z type (F1, MR01/ MR02, Overland/ Monster, and a general "catch all" for all others that work on all Mini Z's). Also a tag for replacement service (stock) parts, to tell that it's a replacement and not a hopup part. When I first came to this site the only Z's were the F1 and Racers (MR01's) anyway in that time the market grew. If it was subbed in section's you can find what you are needing. I think it would look better than a page with multi-color tags.

stuZ
2004.03.19, 12:44 PM
I agree with hammerZ.

It seems the shop organization and item pictures are the only downfalls of this site. I know that's a lot of work, but that's all that I can think to suggest improving on, well, except:
a sticky post in the newb or faq thread on how create a gallery, and on how to embed pictures in posts would be helpful

this is far fetched, but maybe a GPM request list for their parts you don't have in stock, when the list reaches a certain dollar amount that makes the order worth it, list requestors are notified to pay, and the parts are ordered. I understand the possible snafus, so you need not flamelist them, just an idea.

The color scheme is great in my opinion. It's simple and easy on the eyes.

arch2b
2004.03.19, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by stuZ
a sticky post in the newb or faq thread on how create a gallery....

[look of frustration] i posted this (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11578) awhile ago... a banner ad suggesting newb's to try searching first would be nice

stuZ
2004.03.19, 01:55 PM
I emailed my pics to gallery@mini-zracer.com with my username a while back, but received no reply. [look of frustration]
I searched and did find that post, as well as the instructions on the gallery front page.

arch2b
2004.03.19, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by stuZ
I emailed my pics to gallery@mini-zracer.com with my username a while back, but received no reply. [look of frustration]
I searched and did find that post, as well as the instructions on the gallery front page.
email- considering the number of email virus's that have been circulating recently, try to imagine how many this site gets..... there have been some email difficulties due to this problem.

instructions- they have always been on the main gallery page and i posted what i thought were detailed instructions. what more do you want;)

i have your album up here (http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/stuZ) and i will email you with the rest of the details. i'm sorry if your emails went unanswered, it was not intentional.

**you disabled the email option so you can email me directly please (wow, 4 ol's huh...that should make for lots of pictures;) )

stuZ
2004.03.19, 02:20 PM
email- considering the number of email virus's that have been circulating recently, try to imagine how many this site gets..... there have been some email difficulties due to this problem.
instructions- they have always been on the main gallery page and i posted what i thought were detailed instructions. what more do you want ?

That is all understandable, I'm hoping you can understand where I was coming from: I followed the easily understandable detailed posted instructions and...;)

perhaps my suggestion is a more bulletproof gallery creation method, given that users email attachments and the possibility of infected attachments pose a possible threat to moderators or site owners, thus hindering the gallery creation process for the MZR.com user.

also, is there a thread or post about displaying pictures in posts?

I'll email you so we can keep this thread on track.

Thanks Arch

dog
2004.03.20, 05:51 AM
[look of frustration] i posted this awhile ago... a banner ad suggesting newb's to try searching first would be nice

mr. 2b,
as a relative newbie i can say that the search thing can be really frustrating... typically you get a lot of hits from really long threads... it's hard to pick out what you want to know (especially if you don't speak minizese)... also, the site organization is not intuitive for first timers...

i would think that it would best serve Mini-Z and and forum to make the site very user friendly to new folks...

things like the forum threads and galleries have become so large that it is hard for someone who has never been here before (or even someone who has like me) to find what your looking for... i remember having a hard time doing a search of the forums the first time... i hit the first search button i saw and kept going to the shop, for instance... that was just the beggining...

here's some thing that would help:

1) a picture glossary of terms. (i don't know what a shock stay is?!?... try and figure it out from a search)

2) break up some of the forums, like the Overland Forum... too much info...

3) folks who visit often know where stuff is and how things work... put yourself in the place of someone coming here for the first time... it's intimidating... i've seen newbies ask questions and get a terse, "do a seach..." answer... not real welcoming...

maybe a big button with a title of "first timers look here for help" that introduces them to the site with very brief how tos with hot links...

Bottom line: put yourself in the position of someone who has never been here before who is considering a mini-z but is also looking at other micros and look at the site... from that point of view... it's inimidating...

sorry for the long whine...

arch2b
2004.03.20, 10:37 AM
not a wine at all...very enlightening. thank you for your comments.

i too was a noob at one point... when i first stumbled across this fine place, i spent about 3 weeks reading as much of the existing threads in every categoery i could so that i would have a better idea of what it's all about before i posted. so, yes, there should be an easier way.

adambam
2004.03.23, 01:52 PM
here's an idea - how 'bout a 'custom lab' where you can select your model of mini-z then view it as it would look with different wheels/body/upgrade combinations?
Also, taking it further, If you designed & released custom 'vinyl' decal packs with tuner names, stripes etc you could view these as they would look on your car.
anyone who's played need-for-speed-underground on ps2/xbox will be familiar with the whole idea (& its addictive!)

ps anyone who hasnt its worth gettin just to get ideas of what you could do to a 'Z'

Evo
2004.03.23, 03:01 PM
Im not sure if this is what dog suggested.

My suggestion is a picture where you can pick fx. the shocks and then see the shocks avaliable from kyosho/GPM or maybe the store and with a little note which is going to say why that exact shock is good, and what it is good for. (The lowdown shock set for the overland and monster is good for the racetrack bla bla bla..)

like this:
http://www.racetin.dk/guides.htm

click on some of the "words" around the skyline.
The words means chassis, steering, whell/rims and so on..

:cool:

dog
2004.03.25, 06:47 PM
Evo,

thanks, that's pretty much kinda like what i was thinkin'... i just don't know the right terms for all the parts so if we could "mouse over" a part on a pic of a chassis and have it link to all the parts and hopups for that part it would be great... a little java script and voila!

dog
2004.05.14, 07:14 PM
mini z-

btw - who won?

Akira_kj
2004.06.10, 11:33 PM
More Product pictures and Ablility for High level Users to Rate/Reveiw/post pictures of said products in real life use. =]
Love the site. Keep up the Great Work.

HammerZ
2004.06.19, 07:16 PM
This is for the parts album, the Kyosho parts album. Separate the stock replacement parts from the hop up parts. And if possable to link some to other chassis that use the same parts, like servo gears, motors, and such. Also a brief description of parts and whats included in that set.

USATorque55
2004.06.19, 07:43 PM
Whenever i go to a new forum, the first thing i look for are tutorials or new ideas.

So I would suggest a Tips Mods forum. Where all qeustions are deleted but every thread is a tutorial or mod done to a car w/ a sort of walk through.

like bitpimps...

so a newbie could come to the main page and scroll around looking for different things. they could find a lift kit for an OL, or an internal antenna mod for a racer...just in general the easier the information is displayed, the more inviting it is for people.

also people are more willing to create a thread w/ a tutorial then a gallery since they know how to make a topic, and everyhting is right infront of them. its simple and just helps everyone.

Maximus
2004.07.23, 12:16 AM
Hello...Mini-Z...you there who won the contest?