PDA

View Full Version : A shout out from High Desert Hobbies

circinus
2004.03.05, 12:56 PM
Greetings All -

This is just a shout out from High Desert Hobbies.

My name is Odysseus and I'm one of the local racers in the expert classes and I also donate my skills and server space to the www.highdeserthobbies.com web site.

We are looking forward to our Kyosho Regional on Apr 3rd.

I just wanted to say hi and see if anyone from this forum is planing on coming down to race or if any one who has already raced in the 2004 season regionals might have any advice for us. Either in organizing or racing.

A little history behind HDH:
The shop was opened on Oct 1st 2003. They carry major brand name RC cars, boats, planes, and accessories. The main attraction is the indoor Mini-Z track and was built to be apart of the business... it wasn't an after thought.

The owners are extremely cool people and the employees are friendly and knowledgable and have extensive histories in RC racing.

The store is located in a safe side of town and close to Hotels, Restaurants, Stores, and FWY.

It's a family orientated, sociable atmosphere and every one looks out for one another.

The weekly race days are highly competitive in all classes. The racers are great people and we have a lot of fun. We help each other when ever possible.

HDH currently has the Mini-Z Races and outdoor parking lot races for bigger scale cars.

If you have any questions to ask about the area or track, etc... please don't hesitate.

Thanks for reading :-)

arch2b
2004.03.05, 01:43 PM
circinus- welcom to the forum

read all the thread regarding the regional held at stmpy's in char., va and tom thumbs in colum. ohio.

there has been LOTS of comments, suggestions etc on the races thus far. i applaud you for your effort to take advantage of the information as mike and stampy has.

what track will you be using? house or rcp?

what classes do you run in your normal race season?

what is your stance and opinion on the k. cell rule?

make sure you have plenty amb connectors and encourage all your locals to install them as soon as possible rather than procrastinate and end up short... also, if you can, practice with the transponders on the cars/trucks/f1's. they don change the way hey handle.

i've participated in two regionals so far (2004) and hope to catch a third

PAULANGELO
2004.03.05, 02:08 PM
Arch has a good suggestion. And for those that do not have the transponders, Take 2 quaters, tape them together and then on the car where you want to place the transponder. You can move them around to find the best place for them. The 2 quaters is close to the weight of the transponder.

circinus
2004.03.05, 02:46 PM
Thank you for the advice about the transponder adapters:)

To answer arch2b questions:

* what track will you be using? house or rcp?

I belive we will be using an rcp track over our house track (which already uses the same type of pads)

* what classes do you run in your normal race season?

We run on Thursday Nights and Saturdays (Formerly Sunday)

1 hour practice and about 6+ hours racing with 2 heats and a main. We sometimes have groups if 8+ people sign up in a class.

Novice 12 and Under (Open or Stock)
Novice (Open or stock)

Sportsman MR-01 (Open or Stock)
Sportsman MR-02 (Open or Stock)

Expert MR-01 (Open or Stock)
Expert MR-02 (Open or Stock)

F1 (Mod or stock)

* what is your stance and opinion on the k. cell rule?

That was a concern considering the recall of the k. cell but since the rules change with the CP Mini-R/C Raceway Regional on the 13th and we come after, it luckily isn't a problem for us. I personally have secured a couple of sets just this week.

My opinion is that it is fair that everyone use the same MAH and volt (and even brand) - but I got the CP batteries and they are nothing more than GP800 batteries (the same brand as the mini-z power 800 cells underneath) with a CP sticker on them... and I can get that brand much cheaper than what I paid though CP. But I guess the sticker makes them official ;)

arch2b
2004.03.05, 03:04 PM
what kind of numbers do you anticipate for attendance? the 2 regionals i attended had atleast 60 total

it would be nice if you could post updates as to number of entries (registed) by class periodically... mike (tom thumb) did this and it was nice to see the numbers for each class grow and grow;) it also gave me an idea of how much competition there was per class, in tom thumb's case there was alot!

do you have any pictures of your establishment? if you would like, emial the gallery and we can have a member album for you to post pictures too.

parts suggestions:
overland
-main gear parts set
racer
-servo gears
-mr-02- h plates

hopefully more of the members that entered the racer and f1 classes will chime in on what they feel were popular need parts as i only entered the overland class and several people stripped idler/main gears.

i guess alot of the setup suggestions can be found in the tom thumb threads as they had an rcp track.

fraz
2004.03.05, 03:16 PM
The rule is already out. It's CP batteries or K-cells and nothing else from this point on. They better not change it again because I already coughed up my money to CP for my batts.

So circinus, I was talking to [I think] Pete and he was telling me about the foam track surface you guys had but that may change to RCP? If so it would be great to find out ahead of time so I can change one of my other cars over to stock.

On top of Arch's part list suggestion let me make another... F1 TIRES!!! Since we have to run the grooved tires they don't last very long. Also, tires in general would be good to have on hand. I already have all of my tires ordered so it shouldn't be a problem for me but it will be for others.

circinus
2004.03.05, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by arch2b
what kind of numbers do you anticipate for attendance? the 2 regionals i attended had atleast 60 total...

Pictures.... there are a lot and even mpg and avi videos I personal shot when they first opened. I'll try to get that out.

I'm unsure on the numbers thus far. I will ask Peter (the owner) tonight.

My guess is that there will probably be at least 30 locals signed up in various classes.

As for parts: Bring on a list and I will compile and forward it to them. We go through tires, parts, and hopups here like candy (not only from necessity either, addiction plays a big part) so they know they will need to stock up.

fraz -
I think you have been mentioned amongst our conversations with Peter. There has been talk of the RCP track from the Kyosho powers that be.

RCPMini-z
2004.03.05, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the report circinus. It sounds like High Desert Hobbies will be a great place to host one of the regionals.

I was contacted by one of the owners a few weeks ago. I plan on visiting the store this Monday. I am bringing some sample tracks, so the owners can see the texture of both the on road and off road tiles. The on road tiles have a different surface texture than the current mats that are being used at the store. I think you will enjoy the RCP texture.

We might be able to come up with some added Overland obstacles since this regional is within driving distance from Los Angeles.

circinus
2004.03.05, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by RCPMini-z
Thanks for the report circinus. It sounds like High Desert Hobbies will be a great place to host one of the regionals.

I think High Desert Hobbies will be prove to be very inviting to the outsiders. And We (the racers) are looking forward to it and welcome all who come. Bring IT :cool:

Good to hear from you to RCP. We all have been looking over some of the track designs online. Very exciting.

Monday... excellent!!!

TNB
2004.03.05, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by circinus
I think High Desert Hobbies will be prove to be very inviting to the outsiders. And We (the racers) are looking forward to it and welcome all who come. Bring IT :cool:

Looking forward to meeting you since one of the Utah racers and myself plan on racing there in April. Since we will both be racing F1s, may I suggest tires and knuckles. Hopefully, I won't need any knuckles but I went through one last night. I can always stock up on tires, especially since they don't last long.

By the way, will the race be clockwise or counter-clockwise? Switch off to mess with everyone's heads. ;)

I may also sign up for the Overland class since the Utah racer has already signed up for both the F1 & OL, however, I did not list it on my entry form. I simply assumed that I could enter the OL class upon arrival since it is my understanding that the early entry was basically for t-shirt orders.

Queso
2004.03.05, 07:31 PM
I plan on showing up and racing in mr01 and mr02 if possible

circinus
2004.03.06, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by TNB
Looking forward to meeting you since one of the Utah racers and myself plan on racing there in April.

You too, if you like, send me an email with your name and maybe a picture so I can lookout for you and welcome you personally.

That too goes for any one else planning to come.

Originally posted by TNB
By the way, will the race be clockwise or counter-clockwise? Switch off to mess with everyone's heads. ;)[/B]

It most likely will be counter-clockwise.

Originally posted by TNB
I may also sign up for the Overland class since the Utah racer has already signed up for both the F1 & OL, however, I did not list it on my entry form. I simply assumed that I could enter the OL class upon arrival since it is my understanding that the early entry was basically for t-shirt orders. [/B]

Yes, the early entry is for the t-shirt. They probably will be taking the entries on the day too. Don't quote me on that. Call the store to be sure.

circinus
2004.03.06, 12:12 PM
To let all who come know...

The very closest Hotel is a newly built Best Western John Jay Inn & Suites which is less than a half a mile away from the shop. Walking distance even.

Best Western
John Jay Inn & Suites
600 W Palmdale Boulevard,
Palmdale, CA, 93551

Phone: 661-575-9322

Check our site for other hotels and map to the shop:

http://www.highdeserthobbies.com/mini_z_cup.html

arch2b
2004.03.06, 12:15 PM
off topic but were you able to get into your album?

circinus
2004.03.06, 12:29 PM
off topic but were you able to get into your album?

Yes, thank you very much for that :)

TNB
2004.03.06, 01:54 PM
You too, if you like, send me an email with your name and maybe a picture so I can lookout for you and welcome you personally. . . It most likely will be counter-clockwise.

There are a couple of photos of me on my website under R/C - 1 and Corvette. I still need to update the R/C - 2 section since a couple of R/Cs are not shown. Simply hit the "www" button.

Counter-clockwise--that's backwards!

circinus
2004.03.08, 11:23 AM
Great TNB. I will look out for you.

Nice Corvette BTW. I own an 86.

TNB
2004.03.08, 11:44 AM
I should be with Aaron--his picture is on Kyosho's website under the 2003 Pocatello race.

http://www.kyosho.com/events/mini-z-cup2003-results.html

I looked at an 86 roadster, but I didn't like the lack of storage space. I also considered a 69, but I didn't like the insurance payments. And if I ever move to somewhere were there is no smog, I'll probably change out the manifold. For $300 I could get a lot more horsepower, then again it already sucks enough gas (12mpg city) and the predicitions are that gas will reach $3.00 per gallon this summer which should put premium at least at $3.20 per gallon--I may end up getting a GoPed. :mad:

Aaronnn
2004.03.08, 12:25 PM
looks to be a good race....i cant wait to come down...
hey, darrell since all the local racers will be familar with the track well before race weekend....maybe we should even things out for us, maybe you should bring your "attack cat" down to palmdale..(train your kitty to attack all mini-z's except ours....)

circinus
2004.03.08, 01:02 PM
LOL

But no... the track config will be changed the night before, by the owners, Alex, and/or RCP.

The cat idea would make for interesting racing though. But any one the kids would be happy to break out the shop's Mad Force to run defense :p

TNB
2004.03.08, 07:06 PM
The dilemma would be if Bennie would attack the opposing Mini-Zs or drag "his" Mini-Zs off the track so they don’t get hurt. Perhaps, I should bring down my Mini-Z Mad Force too or my hopped up Mini-T. Aaron, do you have any frequency scramblers—what channel are you running circinus?

Edit: It's official, Bennie can catch the MMT when running it indoors.

circinus
2004.03.09, 12:32 PM
It is official, the RCP track has been installed and what a pleasure it is to drive on.

John (RCP), It was great to meet and get to talk with you. Your design is amazing and very modular.

We extended the track base by about 3 feet out on Saturday night to prepare for RCP's arrival yesterday and so that the course could be larger for the cup.

BTW, in case you didn't know, the track sits on a raised platform about 3 feet off the floor. Clear Lexan sheets act as a barrier against any car from falling if/when it looses traction and flips.

A quick picture of the original track can be seen here: http://www.theav.com/business2003/nov-03/hdhobbies/index.htm

The track base and configurations are an l-shape to accommodate the design of the shop building.

Anyway, the RCP track surface is a dream and a lot more fun to drive on than the store-bought foam pads.

Tires wear a much different way too and within a few laps even new tires find their place.

We all had Happy Meal grins while racing on it.

For you F1 guys: It was quickly inherent that the front bumpers get wedged under the foam railings if loss of control occurs. So try to keep your line clean.

For you Overland guys: We have the offroad pads too, so that will be fun.

We are racing on Thursday, so I will have more updates.

One more thing to point out is... the car is more responsive and stable, my M8 rarely needed to be steered hit end-to-end, which is a much different than the reaction on the old track. More speed was attained with much less effort on the throttle. Our NMLs were still fairly warm to the touch after 7-10 minutes of laps. On the other mats they would get scorching hot. Especially on the MR-02.

Aaronnn
2004.03.09, 12:39 PM
ya, ....its kinda hard to discribe the feeling you get during an
"A main"....with the F1 stuck under the rails..:eek:

arch2b
2004.03.09, 12:54 PM
how about having your ol roll over and sit there till an already busy marshall can get to it

a nice thing about having the track elevated is the marshalls won't be walking on the track to get to a car/f1/truck. in ohio, thru no fault of the marshal, they just happened to be of husky size and when they darted out on the track to get a car/f1/truck the whole track in that area shifted. this happened a few times which i'm sure was frustrating to those racing at the time.

what will you use in assiting to right cars/f1/trucks? stampy's had broom poles with spatula's taped to the end. while it looked funny, it worked well.

also it's nice to see you don't have any obstructions in the layout as well, such as columns etc or atleast from that one picture... get any up in your album yet?

circinus
2004.03.09, 01:14 PM
broom poles with spatula's taped to the end[/B]

That's a great idea, I will pass that along.

We usually have grabbers, and broom poles.

There are no obstructions or blind spots!

TNB
2004.03.09, 04:03 PM
BTW, in case you didn't know, the track sits on a raised platform about 3 feet off the floor. Clear Lexan sheets act as a barrier against any car from falling if/when it looses traction and flips.
So what if someone is only 4 feet tall?

circinus
2004.03.09, 04:26 PM
We just get one of the employees to hold the person on their shoulders :D

But seriously, all kids and they have no complaints.

fraz
2004.03.09, 05:34 PM
Killer, glad to hear you got RCP track. I have to admit I have become a bit of an RCP snob(tm). Since I have run on a few RCP tracks and my local track is RCP now, I really like the stuff a bunch.

RCP John: I would still like to see how the side barrier developments have progressed. I know we talked about various ideas and was wondering if you found a material or adhesive to make the side rails less "sticky". Did you come up with anything good that we may be able to test out?

arch2b
2004.03.09, 06:53 PM
off topic- rcp, i am curious about that too... something to keep myself from planting myself on the inside turns would be nice;)

RCPMini-z
2004.03.09, 11:00 PM
I need to be careful on the information I disclose on this forum regarding the final Cup event. Obviously, there are people entered in the event that are not viewers of this forum and I think it would be an unfair advantage if I disclose information on specific details or changes with the track, unless everyone entered has equal opportunity to this information.

The organizers have posted pictures of the RCP track on the Kyosho website, so most are aware of our track. I think any changes that I ultimately make to the track should be posted on the Kyosho website. Again, like the layout, I will offer it and any additions to the organizers and if they believe it is best to post it on the Kyosho website than you can see it there. I hope you understand my position.

Ken Mifune
2004.03.10, 12:14 AM
Keep 'em sticky. No rail riders.
Has anyone ever tried spraying their shell with a silicone or dry lubricant? I know a good wax job will do the trick. It might help if you're eight feet from the finish line but on the hood.;)

Seriously, I've never been to a ZCup and it might sound like a weird question to a Z-er but in regard to using reverse, is it allowed? What are the guide lines for the marshalls?

Aaronnn
2004.03.10, 08:53 AM
reverse is allowed...just dont pull back when
someone is passing you....usual racer creed stuff...
& marshalls please dont crush my z

RCP: thanks ! for the good info...

arch2b
2004.03.10, 09:11 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ken Mifune
[B]Keep 'em sticky. No rail riders.
....QUOTE]

my interest is just for my home track... i have learned very well to stay off the rails;)

marshalls- int he last two cup events i entered the rules for them have been the same.
-watch where you step
-no fixing cars as you should be watching the track and not fiddling with cars

i've seen varying degree's of marshalling as well... such as some people will turn any car/f1/truck around that hits or plants into a rail while others let them (drivers) reverse to get themselves out of the mess they got themselves into. i prefer the latter as it's not the marshalls job to correct driver error. that's just me though.

it has to be said though that the f1 racers expect their f1's to be turned around as they complain it is difficult for them to do so. while their point is justified, it's not easy turning around an overland either sometimes. the f1's are much longer and require more room most of the time. i know that every time i had to back up ot of a jam, i got passed by everyone just about but this is also true for the other classes. having to back up can seriously put you behind so stay off the rails! ofcourse it's nto always your fault;) it's easy to get nudged/bumped into a corner too

Aaronnn
2004.03.10, 09:30 AM
i think there are many diffrent thoughts on how to marshall...in mini-z i have never hear of offical marshalling rules....
as for correcting a car...my view is only if it is stuck or on its top...
turning around someone to be nice is not fair to other drivers...
next to that, having a marshall in the way needs to be put to a minimum !!

arch2b, "f1 racers expect their f1's to be turned around as they complain it is difficult for them to do so." i have low tolerance for that kind of racer....complain complain complain, the only thing worse is "the hacker"....
ohh well, the pros to rc far outweigh the cons

p.s. im glad you brought up fixing cars during the race...(ive done it many times) i think its a good idea...i shall stop...

Aaronnn
2004.03.10, 09:33 AM
p.s.s. arch2b who are you?

arch2b
2004.03.10, 10:01 AM
it's nice to know someone else shares my opinions:D i often felt like an outsider being a cup race noob. like the whole teching thing, i was expecting someone to go over your car with a microscope and pull it all apart but it varies in degree from event to event. stampy's had rather lax teching while tom thumbs had much more thorough teching by comparison.

i had no problem righting cars/f1's/trucks that got stuck or obviouslt could not do so on their own. i had to do this several times and it had to be done for me several times as my x5 had trouble getting into reverse most of the time. i thingk the f1 racers have a point to some extent...

after 2 cup races i was able to see a few general types of racer such as;
-those that are there to have fun and try their best to stay out of the way (myself)
-the hackers (only saw a couple times that this happened out of two events. for the most part noobs unfairly fall into this categorey as they tend to cause the most traffic incidents, myself included)
-the overly serious/complainers (these were the ones huffing about not having their cars/f1's/trucks around)
-those that are quiet and just race (i would say about half the people fit this categorey)

all in all i would say i found everyone at both events very good people and it was a pleasure to see them all compete.

i find the f1 races to be the most competitive to watch and the overlands to be the most fun to watch. there are sooo many racers in the 01 and 02 classes, it's alot to pay attention to. you'll quickly see the front runners in the intial qualifiers though.

to sum up my experience, i am very glad i went to both events as it was a real eye opener in terms of the level of competition as well as a great chance to meet some of the members here. if i could have made more of the events i would have. there's always next year;)

arch2b
2004.03.10, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Aaronnn
p.s.s. arch2b who are you?
just an average joe...

i was in the a main picture for the overland class at stampy's (black hat) with the maroon x5.

Aaronnn
2004.03.10, 10:32 AM
ok..now i see....said the blind man....
(p.s. im blind in my right eye...zero depth...so i have
a real good excuse why i hit every rail & corner...)

anyway see ya at RCX

TNB
2004.03.10, 12:00 PM
Aaron,
See you Saturday. FYI, I put oil-filled shocks and red screws on the OL and MMT last night. BTW, if you get shocks, please note that there is a front set and a rear set. I almost picked up 3 fronts and 1 rear--from what I could tell, the only difference was a plastic top mount.

circinus
2004.03.10, 12:03 PM
When we turn marshal in our normal races, no car is corrected unless it is flipped, wedged, or if the body has popped off.

In some rare cases, like when a knuckle pops off of the tie rod and it is close to a marshal, that will be fixed as quick as possible.

Turning a car around is not done when a racer can simply hit reverse.

arch2b
2004.03.10, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by TNB
Aaron,
See you Saturday. FYI, I put oil-filled shocks and red screws on the OL and MMT last night. BTW, if you get shocks, please note that there is a front set and a rear set. I almost picked up 3 fronts and 1 rear--from what I could tell, the only difference was a plastic top mount.

how well do the oil shocks work on an rcp track? almost everyone at tom thumbs had lowdown shocks

TNB
2004.03.10, 07:09 PM
arch2b,
Depending on the "traffic", I may try the OL and MMT out tonight on the track. If not, I'll wait until when the track is not busy. For now, I used the stock fluid and haven't added any spacers. Just filling them up, I'd say they work better than the Losi oil-filed Mini-T shocks but the OL/MMT shocks were more expensive too. However, I'd rather have the soft inserts installed in order to give a better opinion (on order). Did you glue your MMT tires onto the wheels? I was thinking about that after I get the soft inserts, but not before.

By the way, I uploaded the "correct" photo on the other thread--just look for the MTT on top of the F1.

And Ken,
I like to ride those rails and cut those corners since I like to test how close I can get and keep on speeding along without crashing. However, you don't hear me complaining about the RCP track--though I don't care for when the F1 bumber gets stuck underneath the rails on occasion.

TNB
2004.03.11, 03:26 AM
arch2b,
The oil-shocks worked great on the MMT and I took it over a jump used for Mini-Ts--landed very well. Of course, the MMT could climb over the RCP rails if I cut the corners too sharp on the RCP track. I also took a few laps with the OL and though I flipped it 4 times, it landed on its wheels 3 of the 4 times, so I just kept going. I was either very lucky or the shocks made a difference.

circinus
2004.03.17, 06:23 PM
Greetings All -

16 people have been offically counted as signed up.

About 15 more locals should soon be too.

Aaronnn
2004.03.17, 08:32 PM
maybe you can give a breakdown closer to raceday....
i hope its just me in overland....LOL

TNB
2004.03.18, 03:30 AM
Aaron,
I'll probably join you. :D

Circinus,
Should I/We call the store and provide them with my/our transponder number(s) or just wait until the day of the race? I didn't own a transponder when I mailed the form.

Aaronnn
2004.03.18, 09:43 AM
ya know i have no idea...ask dave about the transponder code, or maybe somebody will post a reply to this forum with vast knowledge...
do each transponder have a code only for that transponder or is it like freq's and some share bandwith....

arch2b
2004.03.18, 09:50 AM
from the events i attended, they will ask you at race time if you have your own transponder and which number it is. i assume the earlier you inform them, the better.

they were numbered 1 thru 6. i don't know how these numbers were determined though.

TNB
2004.03.18, 11:49 AM
The personal transponder has a black multi-digit number on top of the red case just like a serial number. As far as numbering the transponders 1-6, I'm guessing that the shop owners numbered their transponders 1-6 because there were 6 racers at one time, because they wanted to keep track of their store-owned transponders, and because the longer transponder numbers were already entered into the computer or because they used the last digit of the transponder number (see the bottom quote). If I'm wrong, someone will probably correct me.

The following quotes are from the AMB website, which also has some tips on installing the personal transponders on Mini-Zs.

"AMBrc transponders give each RC vehicle a unique identification. When the vehicle passes over start-finish, each transponder will emit a unique signal the detection loop will pick up."

"Is there a limit in how many competitors can be timed or scored simultaneously?"

Answer:

"No, all AMB systems currently in production can score an unlimited number of competitors. The only limitation is how many competitors safely fit on your track!"

"The AMBrc Rechargeable Transponder has the same size as the former AMB20 Transponder and can be charged by the current AMB20 charger rack. The AMBrc system enables you to keep using existing AMB20 software. At start-up the new AMBrc decoder will have standard AMB20 records output. As the AMBrc unique transponder number has 7 digits, the AMB20 output of the AMBrc decoder will only use the last digit. The AMBrc Transponder number 1234567 shows as transponder number 7, but transponder number 6543217 shows up as transponder number 7 as well (not as 17)."

http://www.amb-it.com/amb.asp

circinus
2004.03.18, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by TNB

Circinus,
Should I/We call the store and provide them with my/our transponder number(s) or just wait until the day of the race? I didn't own a transponder when I mailed the form.

I would call to be safe. But the day of, won't hurt either.

Be sure to only talk to Christie or Peter. They are the owners and will place that info in a safe place.

TNB
2004.03.18, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I provided Christie with the PT#.

fraz
2004.03.19, 01:28 AM
AMB Personal transponders are unique and according to AMB there are 2 million unique codes. AFAIK they have not sold anywhere near that many of them yet.

If you have your own it is always better that the track operator knows about it ahead of time. Nothing holds up the race program more than having to enter bunch of stuff into the computer on race day.

Aaronnn
2004.03.19, 01:31 AM
thanks fraz...you wild man you

TNB
2004.03.24, 04:02 PM
My name is Odysseus and I'm one of the local racers in the expert classes and I also donate my skills and server space to the www.highdeserthobbies.com web site.

If you have any questions to ask about the area or track, etc... please don't hesitate.

So which restaurant to you recommend?
http://www.theav.com/bsearch/palmdale/restaurants.htm

I also noticed that the hobby shop website is being redone. Any word on when it will be back up with "photos" (inside/outside?) or is it planned for after the April race?

circinus
2004.03.24, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by TNB
So which restaurant to you recommend?
http://www.theav.com/bsearch/palmdale/restaurants.htm

I also noticed that the hobby shop website is being redone. Any word on when it will be back up with "photos" (inside/outside?) or is it planned for after the April race?

The restaurants in the shopping center are (all walking distance):

Four *s being overall good to eat at in terms of taste and value imo.

Clean is essential so no worries there.

• (***) Alice's (right next door) - Big Selection/Family style - Pretty Good
• (***) Eduardo's Italian Restaurant (next to Alices) Italian/Pricey - Subjective to taste, but ok
• (***) Thai Cafe (next to Eduardo's) - Friendly/Fair Prices - Very Good
• (***) Sizzler
• (***) El Toreo West (Across the street) - Authentic Mexican food -Friendly/Good Prices - Pretty good

Outside of the shopping center (Small driving distance)

On 10th Street West (Heading North - Right before Rancho Vista Blvd):

• (****) Baja Fresh (Mexican Grill, Better)
• (****) Me 'n Eds Pizzeria
• (****) IHOP
• (*) Blue Koi Oriental Restaurant (Don't let the name full you... overpriced/glorified buffet and not so impressive sushi)
• (**) McDonalds
• (*) Cupid's Hot Dogs
• (****) A Donut Shop
• (**) Sharkeys (Mexican Grill)
• (***) Togos/Baskin Robins
• (****) Jamba Juice
• (***) Rubios
• (****) Panera Bakery (The Best Sandwiches and Pastries, fair priced)
• (****) Panda Express
• (***) Thai (Forgot the spelling but sounds like Napgou)
• (****) Two Starbucks (One in Barnes and Noble and the actual shop)
• (****) Trader Joe's (if you want to pick up a quick but good salad)

The AV Mall has (On 10th Street West and Rancho Vista Blvd)

• (****) Chilis
• (***) Red Lobster
• (****) Red Robin (Great Hamburgers - this is where you want eat a 6 dollar burger [but more expensive than that too])
• (****) El Torito
• (****) Olive Garden
• (***) Denny's
• (**) Arbys
• (*) Carl's Jr. (Not bad food, just slow slow slow service)
• (***) Outback Steakhouse
• (*) Chipotles (McDonalds Mexican Grill)
• (****) Cold Stone Creamery (Custom made Ice Cream)
• (*** average) ...Plus a food court inside in the Actual Mall

Palmdale Blvd (heading east - Bigger drive if coming from the hobby shop)
(Before 14 FWY)
• (***) Baker's Square
• (**) Denny's (Before 14 FWY - but go to the one at the mall instead)
• (***) Crazy Otos (4-6 egg omelets)
(After 14 FWY)
• (****) In and Out Burger
• (****) Bakery Express Cafe (30th east)
• (****) Phoenix Inn (35th east)

There are a lot, i mean a lot, more... but these should do. Ask me when you're here too.

circinus
2004.03.24, 06:33 PM
Pictures of the High Desert Hobbies store and RCP track are available here:

http://www.highdeserthobbies.com/gallery.html

TNB
2004.03.25, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the restaurant ratings. I'm also glad to see a "Coke" machine in the hobby shop--Pepsi tastes like flat Coke to me.

The track looks good and it looks like a few people are enjoying it. How is the Mini-Z stock selection? The last time I called, I heard the F1 parts and tire selection were low but more parts were to arrive. If some of the parts I want don't arrive locally by the time of the big race, I'd like to make a few purchases in Palmdale (like tire inserts for the MMT, that fancy Kyosho carry bag which seems to be on back order, a VW Mini-T body, a couple of Tamiya F201 hop up parts that I don't have already, and so on). Even if I have spares, I may purchase additional parts anyway if the prices are better than they are here locally.

Another question, that "black" box looking thing near the finish line reminds me of a Losi Mini-T cardboard jump, is that what it is?

circinus
2004.03.26, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by TNB
How is the Mini-Z stock selection? The last time I called, I heard the F1 parts and tire selection were low but more parts were to arrive. If some of the parts I want don't arrive locally by the time of the big race, I'd like to make a few purchases in Palmdale (like tire inserts for the MMT, that fancy Kyosho carry bag which seems to be on back order, a VW Mini-T body, a couple of Tamiya F201 hop up parts that I don't have already, and so on). Even if I have spares, I may purchase additional parts anyway if the prices are better than they are here locally.

Essential parts are in stock and a lot more is coming in. There should be enough.

But the Kyosho bag, and a VW Mini-T body most likey will not be.

Originally posted by TNB

Another question, that "black" box looking thing near the finish line reminds me of a Losi Mini-T cardboard jump, is that what it is?

It is :D

circinus
2004.03.26, 03:49 PM
There has been talk that the starting time being around 10:00am with practice at 9 am.

Too Early?

Sounds Good?

Too Late?

arch2b
2004.03.26, 04:49 PM
practice at stampy's started around 8am and about 9am for tom thumbs. stampy's had open practice and tom thumbs had scehduled practice. each started the races about an hour, hour and a half after practice session.

TNB
2004.03.26, 04:52 PM
I guess it depends on where "we" eat the night before, the party flavors in the room, and how late we stay up. ;) Myself, I like to take my time that "early" in the morning--it will be a race between myself and the batteries to see who gets charged first. Perhaps, the motel will supply an energizer bunny. If not, perhaps Hef will supply a bunny. :D Is that a contridiction or what?

circinus
2004.03.26, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by TNB
I guess it depends on where "we" eat the night before, the party flavors in the room, and how late we stay up. ;)

LOL :D

fraz
2004.03.31, 02:50 PM
Anbody got hotel "floor space" that is going to be there Thursday night? I was only able to secure a room for Friday night because of the big soccer tournament that weekend in Palmdale. I would like to come down after work on Thursday if somebody has some room for me to crash.

fraz
2004.03.31, 02:55 PM
Oh, one other thing. What is the chair and table situation? Are there plenty or do we need to bring our own?

RCPMini-z
2004.03.31, 03:03 PM
Fraz, can you send me an email? I have a question for you off line.

circinus
2004.03.31, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by fraz
Oh, one other thing. What is the chair and table situation? Are there plenty or do we need to bring our own?

There should be plenty... but if you can, and have room in your car, bring one.

FYI, Thursday night is our club racing night. If you want to race, be here by 6pm - (practice starts at 5pm).

And Fraz, If you have one, get your AMB transponder adapter ready. We will be using them for training purposes. If not, they will count your laps by a sticker number for Thursday.

Please note that Thursday's track layout will not reflect the Saturday layout.

Aaronnn
2004.03.31, 03:20 PM
Me & Darrel plan on staying only friday night...sorry..
we plan to bring chairs & a card table....

circinus
2004.03.31, 04:35 PM
Come by and say hi. I'll be very happy to meet you.

Here is a picture of me.

http://www.bluecharm.com/me/2694A.jpg

TNB
2004.03.31, 05:12 PM
Aaron and me should be easy to spot. Ever watch the movie "Twins"? He's the tall one and I'll be the short one with probably either a "cat" shirt or a "corvette" shirt. Aaron will probably be more organized too. By the way, my Harley-Davidson shirt also has a picture of a cat on it.

Based on the website link, I take it you are into web design. Have you done any video streaming using Premiere and Flash? I've thought about taking some short video clips and combining them into something like Hillman Curtis does with Flash, but my video clips are too dang large. It's just a hobby for me, so I'm still using Premiere 6.0, Flash 5, and would like to keep the clips small so the hosting g-ds don't through a fit and attack my pocket book. At one time my website was getting 1000's of hits per week when I had some R/C videos up, so I removed them.

http://www.hillmancurtis.com

You should check out his client list: MTV, Rolling Stone, Adobe, Macromedia, and so on.

traders168
2004.03.31, 05:27 PM
Tnb, favor pls. I left 1 of my kyosho drill there when Dave borrowed it, Can you pls. bring it? il see you at palmdale this sat. Il bring britney. (lol) in exchange.

TNB
2004.03.31, 05:36 PM
Traders168,

I just got off the telephone with David and he is going to set your mini-drill aside for me, so I should be able to pick it up tonight. However, you'll have to get the motel details from Aaron on where to bring Brittney.

Aaronnn
2004.03.31, 05:53 PM
Twins...LOL funny,
p.s. im the one that traded in my six pack for a keg!!!

circinus
2004.03.31, 05:56 PM
Cool, I'll look out for you guys :-)

As for being into web design, I'm the owner and lead designer of BlueCharm Web Productions, LLC. I started it back when I was 17 (now 25).

I do work with Flash, but mostly on the intros and eCommcerce level. I haven't had time to play around with Premiere as a combination.

My focus is kept to more practical client needs due to market necessity.

I work heavily with PHP and MySQL as well as JSP and ASP.NET these days. I'm actually trying to steer away from "client to client" by developing and leasing in-depth cgi software utilities in order to create a higher degree of residual income with less deadline stress. Among reasons, to be able to have more energy to invest in working with newer technologies and concepts like you mentioned.

traders168
2004.03.31, 06:48 PM
Tnb, Thanx in advance!

fraz
2004.03.31, 11:13 PM
RCP, check your e-mail

Aaron, If you and Darrell bring the card table, bring the cards and your money too:>

Circinus, cool, I have my own table and chair, I just wanted to get an idea if there would be room to set it up.

> FYI, Thursday night is our club
> racing night. If you want to race, be
> here by 6pm - (practice starts at
> 5pm).

I coudn't get down there that quick. I drive fast on I-5 but not quite that fast;)

> And Fraz, If you have one, get
> your AMB transponder adapter
> ready. We will be using them for
> training purposes. If not, they will
> count your laps by a sticker number
> for Thursday.

I have been running AMB personals mounted on my Z's for a long time. I personally soldered up many of the mounts for people at the nats last year because few had done it and fewer had soldering irons or skills. I think I did over 25 of them not including mine. My cars are set up but I will have my soldering station with me and will help anybody who needs a hand.

> Please note that Thursday's track
> layout will not reflect the Saturday
> layout.

I figured as much. My understanding is the actual race layout will be ready by Friday morning, right? That's when I was planning on coming down.

TIA

TNB
2004.04.01, 01:10 AM
Circinus,
When I was 17, I didn’t even know what a computer was and when I finally saw my first computer, it was in its own A/C’d glass room. At least it wasn’t a punch card though it was a joke compared to today’s computers. I also recall “manual” encryption, but nothing I’ll write about on a message board.

Traders168,
I picked up your mini-drill tonight and placed it my “newly” organized parts box. Just remind me to give it to you because when you bring Britney, I doubt if I’ll remember it or much of anything else for that matter.

Fraz,
Cards and Money? I’ll be off with Britney. While still in most of my right mind, I do recall at least three neighboring people who you soldered Mini-Z adapters for including myself, and guess what, I recently purchased a soldering station and soldered the adapters on my Overland and Enzo. Aaron did take care of the F1s and gave me some solder-type instruction. I haven’t tried the Monster yet though I’ve been bending some pipe and soldering it into bumper guards—who knows I may up the number of lights. In the attached photo, it only has 8 lights (2 front, 4 top, and 2 rear).

See you all soon (unless Britney carries me off). However, I don’t anticipate any wedding plans in Las Vegas. Traders168 will have to fill you in on the joke. :D

circinus
2004.04.01, 11:33 AM

I figured as much. My understanding is the actual race layout will be ready by Friday morning, right? That's when I was planning on coming down.

TIA

Where did you hear that?

The final track layout will be done Friday night actually, late... after they close and no locals, visitors, or customers are around. I've discussed this personally with the owners and employees last night and today as of 10 am.

As a matter of fact the design draft hasn't even been completed and won't be until the same time.

The track you see on Friday morning will be from tonight's race.

traders168
2004.04.01, 12:09 PM
Yes, I will TNB! Thanx! BTW is Greg & the Gang comming to Palmdale?

TNB
2004.04.01, 01:59 PM
traders,
No--Most would have to change their cars back to Kyosho only and probably need to learn how to drive again.

circinus,
In my opinion, it's a very good idea to change the track just before the race. It would simply be more fair that way.

traders168
2004.04.01, 02:04 PM
:( Sad to hear that, send my regards to them. See you at Palmdale Mr. TNB, be safe....

circinus
2004.04.01, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by TNB

In my opinion, it's a very good idea to change the track just before the race. It would simply be more fair that way.

It is the only way to go!:)

traders168
2004.04.01, 03:55 PM
CIRCINUS,

What is my exit from L.A.?

circinus
2004.04.01, 04:56 PM
Heading North on the 14 fwy From LA
Exit to Palmdale Blvd
Turn LEFT on to Palmdale Blvd
Turn RIGHT onto TRADE CENTER DR.
Turn LEFT onto W AVENUE Q.
Go STRAIGHT up to the cul-de-sac, HDH is on the LEFT driveway where the Chiropractic office is (Alices Burgers is the right side driveway and for their employees only.)

The main parking lot may or may not be closed but ample parking is available there.

Also, there is plenty of safe, free parking next the sidewalks at each side of the street if needed.

traders168
2004.04.01, 05:02 PM
wOw!!!! Thanx 4 the info, see U Saturday, Good Luck!

circinus
2004.04.01, 05:06 PM
traders168 - You're welcome :D See you saturday and a have safe drive.

Come and say hi if you get a chance.

fraz
2004.04.01, 11:26 PM
How long do we get for practice on Saturday then? The other races I understood were set up one day before so you could get some practice. While I agree holding out on the layout is a good idea to level the field, there are only 6 legal frequencies and often conflicts even when you run funnies.

circinus
2004.04.02, 11:29 AM
How long do we get for practice on Saturday then? The other races I understood were set up one day before so you could get some practice. While I agree holding out on the layout is a good idea to level the field, there are only 6 legal frequencies and often conflicts even when you run funnies.

1 Hour open practice, as stated in the rules. HDH is following them.

They may end up being a little fudged, but don't count on it.:(

Practice starts at 9am and races begin at 10am

As for frequencies, you could use the Xmods xtals for practice. Albeit technically not RC legal they still fall within the legal CB range and work well with "1-6", and of course, readily avalible at any R.S.!.

That's not to say that six cars on the track at any given time is not fair and shouldn't be observed. 8 people out there does indeed look suspicious.

And funnies, well... I haven't seen any conflicts unless someone else happens to be using the same one of the 63 available. ;)

Not that I'm encouraging such flagrant disregard for FCC regs.

arch2b
2004.04.02, 11:53 AM
while the previous 2 events i attended had practice time the night prior or the race, i was not able to make them so i could not tell you if the tracks were setup differently and it was more of just practice to get setup for the track surface in general... stampy's had open practice time prior to the begining of the races. we were limited to i think it was 5min. and you hecked in on whatever open freq. was available. tom thumb has scheduled practice based on the the roster for the first round of qualifiers. you had i think it was 5 min. on the track with the same people you would be running with for the first qaulifier run. if you missed your calling, you had to work something out at the end or something. both had advantages and disadvantages.

tom thumbs allowed the use of xmod xtals. i had to use a set myself when i freq changed from one round to the next. i don't recall alex saying we couldn't...doesn't mean we could either but we asked (not alex) and got the ok first. i saw non k. xtals being used at both events. i mean come on, $16 for one pair when you can get 6 for cheaper (xmod)....

matrix
2004.04.02, 08:24 PM
Hi Arch2b,

I checked out your gallery and watched the last page video clips. I was wondering how many RCP track require for that setup?
1 Wide L or 2 Wide or Oval? What is the Length and width ?

Thanks.

arch2b
2004.04.02, 09:41 PM
thanks, it's one wide L, one wide oval and one offroad expansion pack. i will be going up to race on it this weekend and will get exact measurements. i'll be getting some new video's;) i have 2 f1's now so that should make for a nice video. that and i found a tripod so i don't have to hold the camera myself anymore

TNB
2004.04.04, 12:30 PM
circinus,

Just a note to let everyone know I made it home ok--it was 6am and I tried to keep Aaron awake as best I could. I also survived the wrath of Tigger & Bennie. Furthermore, I want to thank everyone for the great time and hope to see most everyone at RCX. I'll also post another picture of the Monster as soon as I finish the bumper guard and get the additional four lights mounted.

ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Aaronnn
2004.04.04, 07:22 PM
:eek: i made it home also...what a marathon....

TNB
2004.04.04, 07:38 PM
Glad to hear. Don't forget to get your stickers for your Overland "soccer mom", I mean champ. :p

Wyo-Mini-Z
2004.04.04, 10:33 PM
How did the races go? Do you guys have the results to post?

fraz
2004.04.04, 10:43 PM
Good to hear you guys made it and it was good seeing you again. With the time change we left around 2am and I rolled in about 10am. I had to pull over and sleep for about 1.5 hours but I made it. I am looking forward to RCX and will see y'all there.

traders168
2004.04.05, 12:45 AM
Glad to hear that all of you made it home "SAFE" congrats to all of you who "JOINED" the race. Its an experience i cant forget. It was nice to meet you AAron, FratZ, Circinus and was nice to see you again TNB. See ya! :D

TNB
2004.04.05, 03:57 AM
Same to you traders168 and see you all soon at RCX.

Attached also are updated photos of the MMT (though I did upload them already). As you can tell from one of the photos, Tigger wasn't too upset since he got to play with the MMT. More specifics are on the "owner" thread--I actually added a lighted interior compartment now, but I have to find some little people for the inside. Perhaps, I'll find a few extra for Aaron's Overland. ;)

Aaronnn
2004.04.05, 12:36 PM
i started a palmdale thread...
i would have thought circinus would have done that already...
(what a slacker, i guess he was tired from all his celebrations) :)

circinus
2004.04.05, 12:46 PM
Glad to hear you guys got home okay :D

I had some great fun. Congratulations to all the winners and racers who came out and tried. It was great to have you all here.

I will grab the results and try to post them at the hdh website tonight.

It was pleasure to meet you all: TNB, Aaronnn, traders168, fraz, and the Z-Club.

It was amazing to be racing with Philip from PN Racing. Congrats on your 1st place in 02 open. :)

Fraz, you were on fire in 01 open. One question though, what's with the swaying body and antenna while you are racing? It is very distracting. When you hit my antenna with your's in the A Main, my car glitched big time and I lost half a lap. I'm not trying to be mean or start a fight, just a humble question. :confused:

It was a long, arduous day. Our very own Lance and one of owner's Christie, did a wonderful job with the silly Sparco software (which apparently no other track we called for help, uses) and AMB-IT transponders. Peter, the other owner, and his son did a nice job on teching too.

This day was mostly made intense (and would have ended quicker) due to the absence of ALEX, some Kyosho rep he is. :mad:

This race (as all should) need to be top priority for you, especially over some simple trade show in Canada. Alex, no one here (at HDH at least [especially the locals]) are happy with you! You made HDH look bad to the visitors, race organization wise. Please call HDH next week and apologize ASAP. Not even a phone number provided to call for help. Bad form.

Overall, it was one of the best times I ever had in my life.

Us locals had a cool party at Chad's fifth wheel afterwards. It was nice to kick back on his couches, hear some music, and play some PS2 during the day too.

Hope to see you all at the Nats.

Aaronnn
2004.04.05, 01:34 PM
circinus, e-mail the pic to aaron.nelson@wwireless.com

Aaronnn
2004.04.05, 01:34 PM
p.s. i couldnt e-mail you through your profile..

arch2b
2004.04.13, 01:55 PM
can anyone please ask the owner what rights he had in determining/adjusting rules for the regional cup race?

i'm curious as to how the earlier shops managed to overlook the k.spec rule while the latter ones had to either have k.spec of cp branded cells. i'd like to clear up some thoughts i have regardign the whole cell rule and how it was handled this year.

circinus
2004.04.13, 02:01 PM
can anyone please ask the owner what rights he had in determining/adjusting rules for the regional cup race?

i'm curious as to how the earlier shops managed to overlook the k.spec rule while the latter ones had to either have k.spec of cp branded cells. i'd like to clear up some thoughts i have regardign the whole cell rule and how it was handled this year.

To what are you referring to? And owner of what, HDH?

arch2b
2004.04.13, 02:15 PM
whomever had the authority... i only assume it woud be the shop owner

btw, sorry to hear alex was a now show... i went thru an extremely long race day at stampy's even with alex there :rolleyes:

circinus
2004.04.13, 02:20 PM
whomever had the authority... i only assume it woud be the shop owner

btw, sorry to hear alex was a now show... i went thru an extremely long race day at stampy's even with alex there :rolleyes:

"determining/adjusting rules" - what rules do you think were adjusted?

arch2b
2004.04.13, 02:27 PM
each regional race had's it's own quirks/problems or just bugs to work out... all of the early regionals were not required to follow the k/spec cell rule. was this a descision made my k. or something the regional host's were able to push? if it was a descision by k. why was it handled so poorly, why did we have to wait so long for a descision that wasn't even formally announced till somewhere between stampy's and tom thumbs?

circinus
2004.04.13, 02:47 PM
The battery rule was posted on the Kyosho web site slightly prior to the CP regional. HDH just followed the rule.

We had no problems here with the battery rule. Everyone had them. HDH bought out what CP had in stock pretty much; so everyone would not feel left out. They ended up buying and selling over 60 sets.

arch2b
2004.04.13, 02:54 PM
i understand that but could he have pushed the subject had he not been able to secure stock from cp?

wow, 60 sets...someone made alot of money ;) (assuming they cost the same $13 cp was charging)

circinus
2004.04.13, 03:10 PM
i understand that but could he have pushed the subject had he not been able to secure stock from cp?

That is true, Peter didn't like it either. Plus, considering Alex wasn't here to enforce a single thing, the rule probably would have be altered.

wow, 60 sets...someone made a lot of money ;) (assuming they cost the same $13 cp was charging)

Nah, They just broke even. :rolleyes:

TNB
2004.04.16, 02:36 PM
circinus,

Have you seen the photos from the race on flyxwire? And Aaron was concerned about his "keg". :rolleyes: Please tell Peter & Christie I said hello. I also referred someone to their store so perhaps, they'll have a new "regular" customer. See you soon. :)

circinus
2004.04.16, 04:51 PM
I have seen them, thanks.

I will say hi to P & C for you :)

Have a safe trip!

TNB
2004.04.17, 03:10 AM
Thanks, you too.