PDA

View Full Version : MR-02 to MR-015

neurokinetik
2004.03.07, 01:49 PM
I've seen plenty of threads converting the MR-01 to an MR-015, but not converting the MR-02 to an MR-015. The goal is to narrow the rear end a bit to prevent my wheels sticking out and causing me to break H plates. Since I have an MR-02RM, I know that I would need a MR-01 motor pod and differential. The question I have is what about the oil shock mount? Do I use one for the MR-01 or do I use my existing MR-02 oil shock? The motor mount I plan to use is the PN Racing modified mount, if that maks any difference.

McLaren F1 T3
2004.03.07, 02:20 PM
If you already have a MR-02 RM, there is absolutely no point to conversion it to a MR-015. The RM pod sits vertical to the ground, and has a really low CG. Unless you plan on not using your center shock and mount any more, i would not suggest getting a 01 pod even though the PN pod is a great lightweight pod. I think you can retro fit a 01 shock onto your 015 if you do so, because i have retrofitted the 02 shock and whole rear end to my 01.

Cheers,

mike:)

arch2b
2004.03.07, 02:38 PM
i think the important question to answer is: is the 01 pod and diff a shorter wheelbase than the 02rm pod and diff? this seems to be the main point of nuero's question so when you have that answer, you will know what to do.

just me but i though the 02 rm pod and diff were longer than the 01 to match the 02's wider front wheelbase...

pchan0
2004.03.07, 03:08 PM
That's track width, not wheelbase.

I think using 01 pod + diff would make the wheels narrower.

arch2b
2004.03.07, 03:12 PM
your right, track width....

RIGDone
2004.03.07, 03:49 PM
The reason I changed my 02 to 015 was to use the Focus WRC body. I was curious on how the car will perform with a high mount. So far, so good. The shock I use is the mr01 megatech adj. rear damper. Direct bolt on.

herman
2004.03.08, 12:58 AM
The goal is to narrow the rear end a bit to prevent my wheels sticking out and causing me to break H plates.
if that's your goal, i suggest that you use narrow rims... however if you use them, the front and rear tires wouldn't have the same track width... the rear would be narrower... (i've tried this with my vitz body...) it's ok if you are not too particular as to how the car looks...

The question I have is what about the oil shock mount? Do I use one for the MR-01 or do I use my existing MR-02 oil shock? The motor mount I plan to use is the PN Racing modified mount, if that maks any difference.
oil shock? although the mr01 and mr02 doesnt come with one, i guess you can use one, either mr01 or mr02... if there's a will there will be a way....

just out of curiosity though... what body do you plan on using with this chassis?

here's mine...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10618

neurokinetik
2004.03.08, 08:39 AM
Well, right now I am running one of these three:

Mobil 1 NSX
Corvette C5R
Ferrari F40

The root of the problem is the AVM Quintech wheels I am running. They were really designed for the Enzo, so they have a little too much offset in the rear. I love the way they look, though, and would rather run them than the stock wheels. I figured if I got the narrower rear, it would bring them in where they should be. I really want to stick with a wide rear rim, as I have too many traction problems as it is with the motor that I run.

As for the oil shock, I consider it essential, as the stock "damper" does nothing, and with the oil shock, I can completely eliminate wheel hop. I suppose I should just order my motor mount and diff, and see if the shock will bolt up.

arch2b
2004.08.08, 12:28 PM
i thought i would jump back into this thread to talk about my latest experiment ;)

the toyota vitz was my first min-z and i've lawyas liked the body however it was always a bit unstable (top heavy) for the mr-01 chassis so after using it very thoroughly i moved onto new bodies. well, i decided to give the vitz a 2nd chance on the mr-015 chassis!

http://mini-zracer.com/albums/album50/IMG_1643.sized.jpg

it took some rummidging around to find a suitable wheel combination and this is what i came up with, the rear wide clk wheeks and front standard vitz wheels on teh mr-02 chassis using mr-01 pcb coupled to the mr-01 high mount rear end. a real frankenstein mini-z :p

i choose wide rear wheels so the the extended front track width of the mr-02 chassis, even with standard wheels, would match up with the rear wheels as close as possible

http://mini-zracer.com/albums/album50/IMG_1645.sized.jpg

http://mini-zracer.com/albums/album50/IMG_1644.sized.jpg

i don't have any wheels rubbing at all with this setup however i had to place a strip of plastic inside the vitz body plate notch to push the front end a smidge forward. it's a trick that works well with some very tight conversion bodies.

here you can see just how short the vitz body is! not to mention how tall....

http://mini-zracer.com/albums/album50/IMG_1652.sized.jpg

http://mini-zracer.com/albums/album50/IMG_1653.sized.jpg

i haven't had a chance to run it one the track yet, next weekend, but i'm sure the combo of low cg chassis and super short wheelbase will make it an interesting run with other diablo's, viper's etc. next weekend.

btw, it has a 2x2 fet and m'z stock motor;)

Bad Company
2004.08.08, 02:37 PM
Nice work arch! That does look a little wierd with the motor sitting like that though. :p Can't wait to see how it performs. ;)

arch2b
2004.08.08, 07:49 PM
hehe... it should be fun :p

btw, i'd like to get some video of some you your rides as well next weekend :cool:

herman
2004.08.09, 12:20 AM
arch... cool job...

i would suggest using the mr02 rims (i.e. mobil 1 or supra) as they are wide in the rear, narrow in the front...

or the skyline calsonic circa 1990... as they also have wide rears and interestingly "inset" front rims... haven't tried this though...

i've tried putting the vitz on my porsche taisan mr015 conversion and it runs just great... i just know you'll love driving it around...

once again here's the link...

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10618

and here's my vitz...

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8094

here's another view...

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8095

arch2b
2004.08.09, 05:41 AM
i knew atleast one other vitz fan would show up ;) i'll have to keep an eye out for some of those wheel sets. while the porsche wheels look good on yours, i'm trying to get them both (front and rear) inside the body. i'm very curious about the '90 skyline inset wheels.... that would be nice to edge the front wheel sin just a bit. for the setup i have the narrow front and clk rear match up very good. i have some semi wides that would work perfectly for the rear if i could find a pair of those skyline wheels...

do you still run your vitz at all? there aren't too many of them left, or people that run them :(

Ninja
2004.08.09, 09:03 AM
anybody know where i can get a used vitz body? for say $10 or so shipped? i would really like to try some stuff with that tiny body :D it doesnt really matter about the condition of the paint as long as the body is still in tact/no broken pieces.

arch2b
2004.08.09, 09:08 AM
good luck ;) they have been discontinued for some time. what's even worse is that before that happened they never dropped the price like they did with the z8, audi or bettle. i've never seen it for less than $19 new which i think is too much for a very old body style that was never really popular to begin with. if you do find some, let me know as i'd like to get a new one.

Ninja
2004.08.09, 09:11 AM
i recently bought an Audi, and im currently looking at a New Beetle, but dont really have the funds for a new one right now :o are you interested in those?

arch2b
2004.08.09, 09:16 AM
nope, sorry. there's a reason those can be found cheap :p

herman
2004.08.11, 10:14 PM
rch... cool job...

i would suggest using the mr02 rims (i.e. mobil 1 or supra) as they are wide in the rear, narrow in the front...

or the skyline calsonic circa 1990... as they also have wide rears and interestingly "inset" front rims... haven't tried this though...

err.. apologies... i would like to correct myself.... the skyline calsonic circa1990 rims have narrow offset front rims.... it's the rear wide rims that are "inset" a few mm... just looked at them this morning to verify my above statement...

for the setup i have the narrow front and clk rear match up very good. i have some semi wides that would work perfectly for the rear if i could find a pair of those skyline wheels... do you still run your vitz at all? there aren't too many of them left, or people that run them

if the wide rims and standard fronts fit the vitz good as you mentioned, then the mr02 rm rims should just fit fine (i.e. nsx rims & supra rims) at least then they would match... the porsche taisan rims on the vitz do stick out some - because of a couple of mm offset...

still run them when i can... bit busy these days with other things... as i know you are too (congrats...babies are bundles of joy...) :D

sad that the vitz tribe has decreased

byebye
2004.08.12, 09:42 AM
I bought 3 vitz bodies a while back for 15 a peice from a hobby shop in Lancaster , CA. They hosted a kyosho cup in 2003. Last I remember they had a few more left, not sure if they still have them but they might help you. I do have my vitz body that I painted. i don't run it because it's too top heavy and I did modify the body to take wide rear wheels and a wider offset front.

arch2b
2005.06.20, 08:53 PM
kyohso was nice enough to finally list parts kits for 015 to 01 and 02 to 015 conversions

MR-015 → MR-02

MZ201 Main Chassis Set
MZ202 Chassis Small Parts Set
MZ203B Front Suspension Parts Set

MR-02 → MR-015

MZ151 Main Chassis Set (MR-015)
MZ152 Chassis Small Parts Set (MR-015)
MZ153 Tie-Rod & Shock Stay Set

arch2b
2005.06.20, 08:58 PM
some more good conversion info

HammerZ
2005.06.23, 02:10 AM
Is there an SP steering bar set for the MR015? You can find them for the MR02.

If this is the MR02 set?