PDA

View Full Version : Front Stablizer/antisway/antiroll bar thing

ApacheXMD
2001.11.14, 05:07 PM
The front stabilizer. Does that really do anything?
I know it's supposed to link the two springs, such that when you compress one spring, the other one is supposed to compress as well. But in practice, when one side is compressed, the other end barely moves at all. What's the deal?
I've noticed pretty much the same action from both the stock bar, and the RCRM hopup part. Both barely move the opposite end.

-patchy

Kinesthesia
2001.11.14, 05:26 PM
I agree completely... being new and faced with a great many option parts for the Mini, I caved in and bought a Megatech Alloy "Antisway" bar thinking "ewww, ahhhh..." only to find out that it's a direct replacement for a part that already exists and once installed, didn't seem to do much at all. I must admit that I was very disappointed.

And... I buy the replacement springs for $14, only to discover that the stock springs seem to fall between medium and hard springs and it seems everyone runs either the medium or the hard springs in the front, so...

If only they sold driving skill in a can, now that I could use !

Russ
2001.11.14, 06:28 PM
Broaden your driving experiences, set up some cone tracks that require more grip and for you to change the settings on your car. I use every single part I have, and I don't buy something unless I know it will solve a problem I am having.

I have the GPM alloy front anti roll bar, and it is great, for when I need it that is...I don't notice any "roll" difference, but what I do notice is the front end is weighed down a little more and is a little more sluggish, which I sometimes use :)

Russ

ApacheXMD
2001.11.14, 07:18 PM
that's great that you use the alloy antiroll bar, but wouldn't it have been cheaper to stick a lead weight somewhere in front?

-patchy

Russ
2001.11.14, 07:33 PM
not really...I got a whole package of stuff for my mini-z from my friend in Hong Kong for like, $20 US cuz stuff over there is super cheap, it's just the shippnig to get here that sucks.

But that's not the case anymore because now everyone wants everything having to do with mini-z's, so no more super great prices...I get good prices still, but it's just as much as if I ordered from here in the shop with shipping and everything, plus since Sept. 11th, the mail has been super slow, not for everyone it seems, just me. It's taken a package 3 weeks for me to get from Ga to Canada. 4 weeks from Hong Kong to get here to me.

Russ

mini-z
2001.11.14, 07:40 PM
Kinesthesia: $14 for the front springs? What brand where they?! FYI we have them for $7.49, and the stabilizer itself for $14!

Kinesthesia
2001.11.14, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I know... but sometimes (ok, often) I'm suckered by having a part right in front of me where I can hand over greenbacks, pop my car open, put them in, and set it back on the track and run...

And I didn't mean to suggest that these parts, or any others, don't have merit... it's quite possible that I'm not experienced enough to recognize the benefit... in fact that was most of my point, that I did not know enough that it was a replacement part and not an add-on... and that the springs I was paying for were remarkably simliar to the ones I had and that the local track champion while having a fair share of hopup parts including TWO sets of lights... was still running on stock front shocks.

If nothing else, I bought myself some pretty colored parts and maybe some future patience...

:cool:

Draconious
2001.11.14, 09:35 PM
I removed it from my Mini-Z... relocated the spings on the knuckle pin ;) hehe... I prefer a more, insane out of control driving experience.

mini-z
2001.11.14, 09:57 PM
Drac: You mean you're running with no front stabilizer of any sort?!

ApacheXMD
2001.11.14, 10:15 PM
a dude at a LHS was doing the same thing as draconius. No stabilizer at all. just springs on top of the steering knuckles. He said it ran better like that for him.
*shrug* whatever floats your boat :)

-patchy

Draconious
2001.11.14, 11:40 PM
None whatsoever... I am using springs from a pen though... to make up the difference ;) -- I have lots of... junk on my car that is literealy junk ;).

http://members.home.net/draconious/Mini-Z/Images/NoStable.jpg

ApacheXMD
2001.11.14, 11:47 PM
what is that motor you have on top of your z in that pic? Metal pinion?

-patchy

mini-z
2001.11.15, 12:18 AM
Looks like a servo motor - like he said, he's got a lot of "junk" on there alright! ;)

ApacheXMD
2001.11.15, 12:45 AM
oh yeah :) looks like the whole servo module is missing from that car

-patchy

HKS117
2001.11.15, 02:08 AM
Yes I agree with the front stabilizer not doing much.I also enter the aluminum "heat sink" motor mount.Does that litte motor really produce that much heat to make a heat sink necessary?Even if it were an XSpeed.:confused:

Kinesthesia
2001.11.15, 07:49 AM
Not to mention battery heatsinks... I've had mine get warm while charging but I've never felt them getting warm running... and even if they did, they'd have to get reasonably hot to warrant a heatsink (although I do realize that excessive heat is not good for NiMH).

Russ
2001.11.15, 08:44 AM
Actually, mine has & does. I've melted one stock plastic motor mount / top clip set already, but I was running the 9T and on my 3rd set of batteries straight through. I let it rest now between cells, that was when I first got the car, & the X-Speed too. Basically one of my first RC experiences. Wow, I've learned so much!! hehehe...

Russ

Draconious
2001.11.15, 12:52 PM
well I ran mine on slightly less then flat carpet, it had to push a bit more to make it go.. and I had to stop and go alot to turn around (with out spinning or rolling, or hitting the furniture heh).
My motor was quite HOT, not just warm, but not hot enough to melt the end of the motor, I let it sit and cool off. The batteries were just a ity bit warmer then usual. (700mah Energizers).
The motor gets warm if its under a heavier load for a longer period of time, a flat carpet or wood floor probly wont make it very hot... I do think the heat caused some squeeky sounds in my stock motor.

I was under impression that NiMH was a bit more heat resistant.. then the Nicads... they have higher operating tolerances. LiIon however dont let those get hot ;).

Draconious
2001.11.15, 12:58 PM
Yep thats the servo motor, had I not cropped that photo you could have seen the rest of the servo guts... I have left my servo cover off untill I get some servo gears, with the motor etc shoved under the nose plate, cuz my servo cases screw holes are kinda worn out (only took it apart 4 times trying to fix a gear), so I left it off as to not wear the rest out, I currently put some model glue in the hole, and redrilled them out.. hopefuly that will give the screw someting to bite.

Shrubba
2001.11.15, 01:15 PM
I like to use the soft setting on my front stablizer when I run my CLK.
I helps reduce the bad under steer the car has becuase of the large rear tires.

Shrubba

wrcracer
2001.11.15, 01:55 PM
is a front stabilizer the bar that goes thru the servo that steers the car? im not quite used to so much terminology. :confused: (thats 'sposed to be a confused face - the ? dont show up)

mini-z
2001.11.15, 02:27 PM
WRC: no, that's the tie rod. The front stabilizer is the bull-horns-shaped piece of plastic that spans from one king pin to the other and also accomodates the front springs. :)

wrcracer
2001.11.15, 04:15 PM
ya learn sumthin every day...:)

T Man
2001.11.21, 11:41 AM
Mine does. Must be that metal Lamborghini body. lol. :D