PDA

View Full Version : Inevitable

Mondo
2004.03.24, 08:10 AM
It was merely a question of time before I added a Mini-Z Mad Force to my collection.
I did a little deal with Draconious and in return got myself a Monster minus the TX, which isn't a problem as I have more TXs than I know what to do with.

It should arrive with me in the next couple of weeks and I am already scouring around for hop-ups. *sigh*
So far I don't see anything too exciting out there, other than the usual salvo of alloy shock mounts, GPM shocks, wheels, tires and unknown brands of bearings.

Mini-Z when will you stock Dry Bearings for the Monster?

Draconious
2004.03.24, 08:50 AM
Doh started reading this and I was like WHOO HOO he got it already, then you said, will have it soon ;) Its only been a few days, so no way would it have been there by now lol...

The bearing holes looked the same size as the OL to me... but some one said they might not be who knows... I know the MID gear on that thing is HUGE compared to the overland... totaly different gear ratio... purhaps another way to hack more torque into an OL? ;)

Hope it gets there soon, it almost made me go and buy one, but I just spent the money on buying a TRACK INSTEAD! :-D

PAULANGELO
2004.03.24, 08:51 AM
hey Mondo, congratulations. You will be very happy with the way the Monster runs out of the box. But as you know inevitably you will want to upgrade. here is my suggestions.
1) oil shocks.
2) Turbo http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12767
3) get Arch2b's lift kit (if you don't already have something like it) also you can mount ANY OL body on it. The OL's are bigger than the mad force body and look better on the chassis (in my opinion)
4) the MZR dry bearings are also a must. I cannot wait till he has the idler gear ones. I have the rest.

The knuckles break but can be fixed better than the original Just ask warfile about that one. I also had to fix one last night.

Mondo
2004.03.24, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Draconious
Doh started reading this and I was like WHOO HOO he got it already, then you said, will have it soon ;) Its only been a few days, so no way would it have been there by now lol...

Drac, I got a postal slip today :) It may be the Monster or perhaps some software I bought on-line earlier this week.

Draconious
2004.03.24, 09:20 PM
:) its in a brown box with a lot of sharpie marks crossing the labels out (less chance customs will think it was a food parcel).. lol... a box I got from tower ;) since tower recycles beer boxes and anything they have laying around... one of my orders was in a 12 pack of bud or busche or something... lol....

Mondo
2004.03.25, 03:36 AM
Yes! It arrived.
My impression? An Overland with attitude :D
I have it at work with me as I collected it this morning. I'll be playing with it tonight for sure.
Now to the 'bay to get some alloy wheels, road tires.....

Draconious
2004.03.25, 05:14 AM
That was fast, US to UK, Sent Friday, got there Tuesday?! :) (US time)

I remembered the manual and all that right? -- I was gona read it but sent it before I got to opening it... cant find it so asuming I sent it lol...

Mondo
2004.03.25, 05:29 AM
Yea, Drac, thanks man, everything was there :)
One question though, what frequency is this? 27MHz?
I can't wait to play with it, my work colleagues have a mixed reaction with everything from "wow that's neat" to "aren't you a little too old to be plaing with these things?" :)
Me too old? Never! It's called a hobby!

Draconious
2004.03.25, 07:00 AM
same as any mini-z... 27... theres no xtal in it.

Mondo
2004.03.25, 08:27 AM
Wow, I haven't even run the damn thing yet and I just got myself a bucket load of hop-ups from the Mini-ZRacer.com Shop
I got 3 sets of alloy locknuts in black, 2 X-Speed motors, foam tire inserts and some goodies for the Overlands.
I also got a cheap and cheerful bearing set for the Monster from the 'Bay.
Next up is some alloy wheels. I have a brand new spare Turbo, but I am still contemplating the FET upgrade route. I have a few Z's (1 x Racer and 1 x Overland) with burned FETs - compliments of my son, so anyone tell me where I can buy loose FETs, as I coudn't see any at the shop here.

Draconious, thanks for the Neo magnets :D I didn't realise they were in the package until they attached themselves to my cufflinks :D

arch2b
2004.03.25, 08:55 AM
try mysterE for fets?

Draconious
2004.03.25, 10:01 AM
:) - I figured after the gas/time you spent running to pick the box up it was worth the magnets... and likely more lol... well at least it didnt like jump out and attach to some ones pace maker.. maybe I should warn ppl when I sneek those in a box?

I've done it to a few orders, usualy when I am drasticly late, as with a few ordes I jsut sent out friday that were almost 3 weeks old, cuz I was sick.

arch2b
2004.03.25, 10:09 AM
drac- those things could potentially be dangerous to unsuspecting buyers;)

Mondo
2004.03.27, 01:28 PM
I drove the Monster for the first time today.
Admittedly, it is fun, but not quite as quick as my Overlands.
It also begs for oil shocks, but I wasn't prepared to sacrifice the Kyosho oil shocks from my beloved Overlands either!
The wheelies are great, and it makes quite a fun indoor vehicle.
Well, now I await the hop ups to arrive :)

PAULANGELO
2004.03.27, 02:43 PM
The quickness is an issue. Before investing in FETS (and losing it for a while waiting) Throw a turbo on it. You will be supprised on how quick they can become.

Evo
2004.03.27, 03:07 PM
Monster with fets and Tamiya Ultra dash.

18 km/t.

http://racetinfyn.dk/-/MOFFET.wmv

:)

PAULANGELO
2004.03.27, 03:16 PM
cool Evo. My monster can do that also with the Topcad turbo and Xspeed. Gotta love the extra power it gives.

Evo
2004.03.27, 03:19 PM
Just to clear things out, that is not mine. The owner is a guy who do internal fet mods, and wire motors up.

Paul-->Then i guess you use 9T?

:)

PAULANGELO
2004.03.27, 03:22 PM
no, I have the 12 in it. :D

Mondo
2004.04.07, 02:23 AM
My Monster's parts arrived from the Mini-ZRacer.com Shop yesterday.
I've now added bearings, an X-Speed motor, soft tire inserts and Kyosho alloy lock nuts.
Next will be some Kyosho oil shocks and some of those lovely GPM alloy wheels.

The X-Speed makes a noted difference, especially when doing reverse -> forward wheelies. Impressive :)
Slowly but surely I'll get the Monster to be as bulletproof as I've made the Overlands. :)