PDA

View Full Version : MR-02 vs. mini z

tlosi4ever
2004.03.29, 12:08 PM
ok i am looking for a on road car and i would like to know what the diff is in the mr-02 and the miniz, or are they the same, or just which one is better? i am new to the on road i have a overland and i love it.

Yugo DSC Maxxer
2004.03.29, 12:27 PM
An MR-02 is the newer-style Mini-Z.
The older style is the MR-01.
The Mini-Z family is as so: MR-01 (version 1), MR-02 (version 2), MR-F1 (F1 style), MR-OL (OverLand)....And I don't know what the monster is.

easy
2004.04.05, 07:37 PM
An MR-02 is the newer-style Mini-Z.
The older style is the MR-01.
The Mini-Z family is as so: MR-01 (version 1), MR-02 (version 2), MR-F1 (F1 style), MR-OL (OverLand)....And I don't know what the monster is.

Um, that's great but with respect to you the question was whats the difference between the MR-01 and the MR-02 not what are their model names and order of production.

From what I've seen the MR-02 has electronic braking circuit the MR-01 does not although it is unclear if braking was introduced on the MR-01 at some point.

The MR-02 MM motor is mounted in front of the rear axle the MR-02 RM motor is behind the rear axle and the MR-015 is an MR-02 rear mount that uses and MR-01 motor mount to allow the use of some bodies.

I've seen people posting about converting MR-01 to MR-02 so suggesting you can at least have an MR-01 mid mount but still no braking. I've seen some mention that some MR-02 users didn't see an advantage in the braking.

It was mentioned that most parts, motor, diffs, gearing, wheels, axles, knuckles, servos ect are interchangeable.

I'm intersted in knowing of any other diferences between the MR-01 and MR-02.

West.F1
2004.04.06, 11:39 AM
i would like to know what the diff is in the mr-02 and the miniz

first gen mz (mr01) has side battery tray and has tendency to glitch. To my understanding, kyosho still plans to support/manufacture this older model. You'll find there is no short supply for upgrades and most bods available for the Z are meant for this model.

the mr02 is a marked improvement in design with less glitching than the original and has far better handling. The battery tray is also flat like the F1s and the front suspension is easier to take apart than the original. Bods are limited however some mr1 bods can be fitted but will require dremmeling to match the mr02wheelbase

They do have some interchangeable parts are limited since their designs are totally different. The suspension, motor mount and h-plate are not interchangeable which are key parts for both chassis. Rotating parts are what you mainly can interchange ie The wheels, wheelnuts, and bearings.

as mentioned there is a 1.5 set up you can do but i'll not complicate things

If you're seriously contemplating getting an on road racer, it's a matter of what you want. i'd like to say, invest in an mr2. More bods will be out over time and the design is much better than the mr1. However, any more you can get an mr1 for less and of course has plenty of upgrades available.

Consider too what your club is racing.

easy
2004.04.06, 12:56 PM
Thanks F1 those are all good points. I'm not really worried about trying to turn an 01 into an 02 since I'm not a serious racer. I'm more concerned about cost.

I'm actually looking at an Iwaiver which is reported to be a virtual dublicate of the MR-01. It is probably using the same molds as the MR-01. At 1/4 the cost of a Mini Z I didn't expect identical performance just close.

I'm looking for something to play with the kids and my buddies who are not into rc and willing to spend for a Mini Z. They are over 300.00 cdn after taxes. We thought about slots but I think entry level rc is a better option.

I posted here after searching for a thread comparing the 01 and 02. Sorry if I offended anyone.

West.F1
2004.04.06, 03:11 PM
np Easy. My reply was actually toward tlosi4ever (thread starter) so i got confused there for a second.

since you did mention that you're looking for something for 'non-serious' rc racing, there is always the x-mod alternative. Excellent price for beginner levels.

easy
2004.04.07, 02:30 AM
np Easy. My reply was actually toward tlosi4ever (thread starter) so i got confused there for a second.

since you did mention that you're looking for something for 'non-serious' rc racing, there is always the x-mod alternative. Excellent price for beginner levels.

The X-mod is an option but only available in canada through Ebay RS Canada is a different company owned by Circuit City. My understanding is the MR-01 and theoretically Iwaiver are better than the X-mod.