PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded Forums Software - Feedback and Bugs

mini-z
2004.04.04, 08:11 PM
As you may have noticed, we've upgraded the Forums to a significant new version. We're still getting used to it too - please use this thread to offer feedback and advise of any bugs you encounter. Thanks! :)

mini-z
2004.04.04, 08:15 PM
Btw, I should point out that the white and blue color scheme etc. is just temporary until we restore the MZR Theme! ;)

ridealot100
2004.04.04, 08:20 PM
i hate it :(

you got any idea on how i change my avatar??

long story short rcmod has this setup and it is just plain awful, whay did ya change!!!!!!!! lol

very confused

ridealot

although i love the new faces :) :rolleyes: :cool: ;) :p :D :confused:

toyotaland369
2004.04.04, 08:30 PM
im not really to fond of it. its really confusing, i know it will take time to get used to, but i really liked the old setup much more. and how do you access the shop :confused:

RedRSX
2004.04.04, 08:34 PM
Where in gods name is the shop and stuff. The MZR theme will make it a little better but...i dont know if i like it as much as before. Are you going to get rid of that "vBulletin" thing at the top?

pchan0
2004.04.04, 08:52 PM
Nice, I like it. Just bring back the black and grey theme...Too bright now...!! :cool:

TNB
2004.04.04, 09:29 PM
I've noticed that a few other forums allow the member to choose their "specific" viewing colors, perhaps a possibility? I'd rather have a spell checker for those brain dead moments....

mini-z
2004.04.04, 09:32 PM
Nice, I like it. Just bring back the black and grey theme...Too bright now...!! :cool:

Working on it! ;) :)

Draconious
2004.04.04, 09:43 PM
Too much wasted space... between user name, and post count message area... use it or lose it ;) I hate wasted space....... makes me ignore the content on the page...

some parts of the code I like better, some I dont...

pHREDD
2004.04.04, 10:11 PM
This is weird...gonna be hard to get used to...

cosmo_k
2004.04.04, 10:58 PM
not fond of it- but on the other hand it does seem more "modern".
i'm having difficulty with the "search" feature- not working like before... eg:typed in "mount" in overland forums, and couldn't direct me to anything...
anyways- though i'm not fond of it- i don't mind it either- my 2 cents- forum upgrade has alot of "potential"...

shimey
2004.04.04, 11:08 PM
First impression- Not a fan....threads are hard to read because the replies are in their own little boxes... Don't like the boxes... too much space inbetween things interupting the "flow?" AND IF YOU HOTLINK FROM HOTMAIL,(email notifications) YOU CAN'T POST (username/pass isn't recognized) SUPER annoying bit now shared with YourMicro and TinyRC... I have to open the forums in a seperate window to allow posting...Am I stupid? can I change my browser settings and fix this?

Second impression- First look, it's snappy, (dunno what'll change when you get the scheme the way you want it. I'll probably get used to it? I think?

EDIT:
Just went and checked out a couple of my other fave forums...They seem to have similar setups, and I'm used to them....so....BRAVO! thanks for the hard work....but I hate the hotlink thing still....LOL.

Seriously, thanks to whom ever it may concern for trying to keep the forum progressive and....."zippy?" LOL...THANKS!!!!!

herman
2004.04.04, 11:12 PM
hmmm...

kinda interesting... mixed reviews on new format...

as in most things, resistance to change will always be there...

actually i kinda like the color... a bit brighter... and kinda agree with tnb on allowing users being able to choose their own specific viewing colors

arch2b
2004.04.04, 11:27 PM
wow....this IS different.....

the seperate boxes take a bit to get used to....it looks liek a bunch of seperate threads at a glance. colors ofcourse have to go...

i like the more user friendly posting menu though. i'm sure this is the begining of good things ;)

were is the view new threads/posts button? how do i come back and read all the new posts...i have to visit each section? yikes

Rick
2004.04.04, 11:31 PM
I hate it. It's awful. It would be hard to be much worse. I hated it when RadioControlZone switched over and I was hoping none of the other vBulletin boards would do it.

herman
2004.04.05, 12:31 AM
how about adding date posted in the thread / thread starter section...

that way we could know when it was originally posted

davkin
2004.04.05, 01:15 AM
Not happy at all! Ya, I'm usually resitant to change anyways, especially when it comes with no warning and for no apparent reason. But right off the bat there's a feature missing that I am very unhappy about. Where did the "Go to First Unread message" button go? This was the only forum I use that had it and I hated that the others didn't. Now I'll have to waste time trying to figure out where I last left off in each thread. Not fun!

David

EDIT: Okay, I found it. I'll withhold my judgement, but my first reaction is this is not an improvement, I would like to know why this change was made?

herman
2004.04.05, 01:53 AM
hmmm...

apparently the search function doesn't work... :confused:

fraz
2004.04.05, 02:00 AM
IMNSHO it sucks! The old one was one of the better look and feels on the net as far as vBulletin implementations. Easy on the eyes and the black/grey background works.

allahsone
2004.04.05, 02:52 AM
i really hate it. still trying to get the hang of it. i hate the colors. the old ones were nice. lets hope tinyrc dosnt change too :confused:

HammerZ
2004.04.05, 05:38 AM
Whoa, am I on the right forum. This is very different for sure. I will welcome back the black and grey, my monitor is looking forward to it as well.

shimey
2004.04.05, 06:38 AM
Can't use the Avatar function...button won't un-check.

Can edit some posts...can't others?

PAULANGELO
2004.04.05, 07:14 AM
I'm willing to give it a shot. Problem with signature though. Tried to edit it so that the [size] code wouldn't be there and cannot save it. Max of 500 charaters. SO, looks like it's gonna stay that way. (for now)

PAULANGELO
2004.04.05, 07:16 AM
were is the view new threads/posts button? how do i come back and read all the new posts...i have to visit each section? yikes

If you click on the pull down for quicklinks, I think you will find what you are looking for ;)

mini-z
2004.04.05, 07:43 AM
[QUOTE=shimey]AND IF YOU HOTLINK FROM HOTMAIL,(email notifications) YOU CAN'T POST (username/pass isn't recognized) SUPER annoying bit now shared with YourMicro and TinyRC... I have to open the forums in a seperate window to allow posting...Am I stupid? can I change my browser settings and fix this?
QUOTE]

shimey, do you mean if you send yourself a link, and then click it later, then you are logged out?! You're cookie'd, right? :confused:

mini-z
2004.04.05, 07:45 AM
I'm willing to give it a shot. Problem with signature though. Tried to edit it so that the [size] code wouldn't be there and cannot save it. Max of 500 charaters. SO, looks like it's gonna stay that way. (for now)

Was there any kind of error, or?

mini-z
2004.04.05, 07:45 AM
hmmm...

apparently the search function doesn't work... :confused:

Should be fixed now! :)

mini-z
2004.04.05, 07:48 AM
i really hate it. still trying to get the hang of it. i hate the colors. the old ones were nice. lets hope tinyrc dosnt change too :confused:

We're still trying to get the hang of it too! But, bear with us, as this is the first step in some really amazing upcoming changes, I assure you it will be worth the temporary inconvenience. And, just to re-re-reemphasize, the colors/design are just temporary until we are able to restore the MZR look - the new version of the software isn't directly compatible with our old Theme so we have to "update" it to work properly. :cool:

mini-z
2004.04.05, 07:53 AM

Actually it looks like there are a few places where you can find it. The easiest (nicer even than the old Forums) is right at the top of every page:

User CP FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search Quick Links Log Out

The second is under the Quick Links menu, which, seems kind of silly since there's already one at the top level! :)

Mondo
2004.04.05, 07:56 AM
I like it.
Guys, be patient, it will all be in order in due time. before you know it, the Mini-Z Logo's will be flashing away and you'll come to love the new format :)

Progress is never achieved without a little learning

arch2b
2004.04.05, 10:36 AM
while some of the new features are bewildering, there are many much friendlier tools now

take the post menu....no need to recall all the vb code. just highlight and click. want to change the size, etc, it's all right there.... it's a format more familiar and similar to word which is nice as it gives you more options and easy to format posting

it also seems you can attach more than one item at a time :eek: i've seen a few posts already with 3 attachments. if you don't understand the benifits of this, you obviously don't post alot of images :o

the main menu for the forum has a lot more relevant information that is easier to read.... most recent post in a thread per section, date (even uses tags suck as today and yesterday which for those that have a hard time keeping up with the actual numeric date is very nice :rolleyes:

i've only been on the "new" forum a few times thus far and with the distracting horizontal format aside, i like the new options etc.

mini-z, i believe what paul was say is that, before there wasn't a charater count for the sigantures. if there were i would never have got mine to work ;) can that be fixed?

NT2
2004.04.05, 10:37 AM
Maybe I missed it, but where is the "Mark all forums read" option?

Cian@work
2004.04.05, 10:54 AM
Font Face, size and color now changeable!

Guys try not to look at the asethetics, these are very easily to change. Buttons can be moved / colors can be easily changed. Try to look at all the new stuff that is now possible, Like hybrid thread viewing, and

the
ability
to create
ordered lists!!!!

racer_d
2004.04.05, 11:23 AM
With mostly negative thoughts already posted i'll go with positive. yay the site has more features and I like how the little bulletin board next to threads changes color when there is a new post.

I say keep up the good the good work because to go foward you have to take just one quick step back or something like that ;)

mini-z
2004.04.05, 01:03 PM
mini-z, i believe what paul was say is that, before there wasn't a charater count for the sigantures. if there were i would never have got mine to work ;) can that be fixed?

S/b fixed, please give it a try.

Btw, some people have asked about the "Most Recent Post" feature - it hasn't gone away, you just have to click the little http://mini-zracer.com/forums/images/buttons/firstnew.gif image, instead of the Thread Name text itself. :)

mini-z
2004.04.05, 01:20 PM
Hey, this is cool!

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription

You can now elect to get Daily or Weekly summaries of Threads, instead of the bombardment of instant email notifications! :cool:

rlc77
2004.04.05, 07:45 PM
Hey, this is cool!

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription

You can now elect to get Daily or Weekly summaries of Threads, instead of the bombardment of instant email notifications! :cool:I agree.....that is a very cool function.

HammerZ
2004.04.06, 04:16 AM
One thing I found out that's neat is look at my sig, it's centered. I don't think you can do that on the old system.

shimey
2004.04.06, 11:45 AM
Mini-z-

In response to your question about my question about hot-linking.

I recieve email notifications to my Hotmail account. Before the change, I could click the link in the text of the email, the thread would open in a new window, then I'd read and post. No problemo.

I'd noticed on both YourMicro and TinyRC, I click the link in the email and the thread opens in a new window, but when I hit the "post reply" button--the login window pops up and says I am not logged in. If I try to login from that window, I cannot.

Since the change, Mini-zracer has been the same.

A little annoying because I then have to open Mini-zracer in a new window, click "forums" then find the thread then post... I know, I know, I'm lazy but isn't that part of the point of email notifications?

Anyway, I only mention it because I was fine before the update...

BUT-I don't see anyone else complaining, so if I'm missing something my-side...well, then I'm stupid. I'm cookied, and I've changed none of my settings.

Other than that, I'm getting used to the new look...and I'm digging it more and more. Any ETA on the scheme change?

THANKS for everything, I know it's a thankless job, so...thanks.

PAULANGELO
2004.04.06, 01:01 PM
S/b fixed, please give it a try.

Thanks it is fixed.

Sixstring88
2004.04.06, 01:04 PM
It's a good thing you guys are changing it back to the original theme! Plus I like the new smilies! :cool:

Hammer
2004.04.06, 07:37 PM
I'm actually getting used to the color change, not that I wouldn't prefer the black and gray. There are some really cool new features, like when you view a thread you can see, of those who have posted, who is currently online and whos not. There are many other new features that are very cool! Hopefully the display graphics will be returning to more familiar territory in the not to distant future. That being said, Im totally on board! :cool:

Vmax
2004.04.07, 11:28 PM
After using the new board the past few days, I give it thumbs up. There's a few little touches here and there that make it quite nice.

Yugo DSC Maxxer
2004.04.08, 03:13 PM
The colours (except for the smiley colours... :() are ok....

Just the setup!!! Baaaah! I hate it.... :(
I want good 'ol MZR back.... :( :(

pchan0
2004.04.08, 07:49 PM
Cool, Private Messaging is available now too...

racemini89
2004.04.08, 09:34 PM
i like this cause it is easier to post pics, i just dont like the colors, cant wait till thats on i dont like the white and blue.

mini-z
2004.04.09, 11:09 AM
Mini-z-

Any ETA on the scheme change?

THANKS for everything, I know it's a thankless job, so...thanks.

Hoping to launch it by EOD today! :)

shimey
2004.04.09, 02:19 PM
Groovy.

Any time to look into my "can't post if linked from a Hotmail email update" problem?

Anyone else out there with a similar problem?

How 'bout the avatar thing? I can't uncheck the "don't use avatar" button in my edit avatar option...?

I know you're busy so--again, thanks for everything!

HammerZ
2004.04.10, 09:05 AM
Any time to look into my "can't post if linked from a Hotmail email update" problem?

Anyone else out there with a similar problem?
I to have faced the "hotmail" thing. I always seen it as a minor issue. I think it's the funny way that hotmail works.

mini-z
2004.04.18, 08:15 PM
As you have hopefully noticed, we've got our colors and menus back - please let us know if you notice anything strange. The one main item left is altering the buttons/smilies/etc. as they are currently anti-aliased for light backgrounds, and look a bit rough on the black and grey.

RedRSX
2004.04.18, 08:42 PM
hey, ummm yeah...i still see the white and blue colors...im still waitin for the black and gray

RedRSX
2004.04.18, 08:42 PM
hey, ummm yeah...i still see the white and blue colors...im still waitin for the black and gray

rlc77
2004.04.18, 10:01 PM
I'm still seeing the default theme as well. I don't see any menus either. :eek:

Rick
2004.04.18, 10:23 PM
I also see blue and white. I will use this time to again say that I strongly dislike this new software but oh well. If it's supposed to look different, it's not working for me because itain't!

racer_d
2004.04.19, 09:28 AM
ERROR!!

I THink It"s Not working
still the same

Vmax
2004.04.19, 09:48 AM
I see gray, if I squint really hard. :)

Yugo DSC Maxxer
2004.04.19, 06:12 PM
... :confused:
Where are the normal MZR colors?

toyotaland369
2004.04.19, 07:43 PM
uhhhhh yeah....... still the same....

toyotaland369
2004.04.19, 07:43 PM
uhhhhh yeah....... still the same....

rlc77
2004.04.19, 07:47 PM
I've noticed that several people seem to be double, or even triple, posting. I'm not sure if this is a software glitch or just mistakes, but I thought it was worth noting.

stuZ
2004.04.19, 07:49 PM
I guess I had avatars turned off in the last version, and now can't figure out to turn them on and upload an avatar.

I too am anxiously awaiting the old color scheme.

I just noticed, that the two largest and most well used message boards for mini's and micro's (mini-zracer.com and one18th.com) both used the black color scheme. I don't know if that's a coincidence, but perhaps it's just easier on our eyes.

HammerZ
2004.04.19, 10:57 PM
I've noticed that several people seem to be double, or even triple, posting. I'm not sure if this is a software glitch or just mistakes, but I thought it was worth noting.
It has to be a glitch, it happened to me twice and I had to go back and delete the extra posts. Good thing it was in an area that I can go back and delete them.

arch2b
2004.04.22, 12:00 PM
hurray

forum colors are back! :D :D :D

Vmax
2004.04.22, 12:18 PM
Feels more like home, doesn't it? :)

mini-z
2004.04.22, 12:21 PM
I also see blue and white. I will use this time to again say that I strongly dislike this new software but oh well. If it's supposed to look different, it's not working for me because itain't!

Well, apparently I had only enabled the new colors for myself and not everyone else! :rolleyes: :o Should all be fixed now, as well as the header, banners, etc. :) Also, you'll notice that threads are back to the Old School format too, how do you like that? :D Last thing to do is fix all the nasty blue buttons and light anti-aliased buttons, which is going to take a while, unless someone w/ PhotoShop would like to help? :)

mini-z
2004.04.22, 12:21 PM
I just noticed, that the two largest and most well used message boards for mini's and micro's (mini-zracer.com and one18th.com) both used the black color scheme. I don't know if that's a coincidence, but perhaps it's just easier on our eyes.

Probably just them copying off us again! :D :p

HammerZ
2004.04.22, 03:13 PM
:cool: Starting to feel like the old board again.

stuZ
2004.04.22, 03:23 PM
ahh, black is back!! :D

racer_d
2004.04.22, 06:02 PM
It's back to normal but after i just got used to the blue anyways three cheers to
mini z
hip hip.........Hooray

Yugo DSC Maxxer
2004.04.22, 07:00 PM
Yay.
Now these smileys... :D

davkin
2004.04.22, 08:36 PM
For some reason AC DC's song, "Back in Black" is going through my head right now. :D

I hate to say it, but the other color and kinda grown on me, and the icons don't work well with these grays and blacks.

More importantly however, are we gonna get the create and edit avatar problem fixed?

David

mini-z
2004.04.25, 07:42 PM
Well, we may allow a selection of colors once we've got this one working properly. The graphics all need to be redone to work w/ the dark BG, the previous Forums version had a tool that made it really easy to create new graphics but the new one doesn't have this and it's a giant pain to try to fix them all - but we're working on it! :) Avatars, I'm still trying to figure out what the problem is. :o

RedRSX
2004.04.25, 07:46 PM
Mini-Z, did you say you wanted someone to work with you on the buttons so they dont have that weird little white ring around them?? I think you wanted someone with adobe photoshop...well i have adobe photoshop 6.0, id be glad to help you on the buttons if i could recieve an F1 body as payment...we got a deal??? Email me at SpecialBlend303@aol.com thanks