PDA

View Full Version : what rubber tire compound will have good steering...

matrix
2004.05.16, 05:26 AM
I have very good traction and steering with Foam tire on RCP track. Once I swtiched back to stock rubber tire, traction still good but almost no steering at all. What rubber tire compound i should use on RCP track in terms of good traction and steering? Or use foam tire instead?

techno
2004.05.16, 02:04 PM
from what i have seen and tried 20's in back and 30's in front werks well

matrix
2004.05.16, 03:59 PM
"from what i have seen and tried 20's in back and 30's in front werks well"

Did you mean slick rubber tire?

What about GPM RAD Rubber tire? Is it good for RCP track?

Sometime, the MR-01 will pull to left like crazy if full throttle at pick up and hard to go straight. Is anything to do with tire compound/material (like rubber rad, foam or slick rubber) ?

techno
2004.05.16, 05:41 PM
actually i mean the treaded type as in radial and v-treaded those seem to be the best slicks dont seem to offer the best traction on RCP IMHO.

R33E8
2004.05.16, 05:41 PM
I think the problem with the pulling to the left is with the diff. On my stock diff, it does that all the time on slick sufaces.

fraz
2004.05.17, 02:46 AM
> GPM RAD Rubber tire? Is it good for RCP track?

Yes indeed. The GPM RADials are the best rear tires I have found for RCP track. Get the 10 degree with "C" pattern (the V referred to earlier)

> Sometime, the MR-01 will pull to left like crazy if full throttle at pick up and
> hard to go straight. Is anything to do with tire compound/material (like rubber
> rad, foam or slick rubber) ?

r33 is correct, your differential is too tight. Your car will pull to one side or the other under power with lots of grip like the RCP track. Loosen the diff and come back and let us know how it works.

fraz
2004.05.17, 02:48 AM
I want to correct one thing. I love the GPM 10s but I run a Corvette. These tires are not always the optimal and on some cars with different wheelbases I have found completely different tires work best. My Beetle for example worked best with 30/25 and 25/25 tires.

matrix
2004.05.17, 03:22 AM
Hi,

Is this the one you talking about offer best traction for RCP track. I only found 8 degree for Front & Rear.

http://cgi.*********/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44021&item=3193508635&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

PS. I always check with Mini-z racer store first but they don't have many parts in stock.. :(

> GPM RAD Rubber tire? Is it good for RCP track?

Yes indeed. The GPM RADials are the best rear tires I have found for RCP track. Get the 10 degree with "C" pattern (the V referred to earlier)

> Sometime, the MR-01 will pull to left like crazy if full throttle at pick up and
> hard to go straight. Is anything to do with tire compound/material (like rubber
> rad, foam or slick rubber) ?

r33 is correct, your differential is too tight. Your car will pull to one side or the other under power with lots of grip like the RCP track. Loosen the diff and come back and let us know how it works.

TexasMonster
2004.05.17, 01:53 PM
i tried a few different things to get my steering/rear traction balance right...meaning no spinouts coming out of turns or understeering through corners. I'm getting perfect control and rear grip using 8deg GPM grooved radials in the back and 20 deg kyosho slicks on the front. btw, this setup is for my mr02 enzo.

with 8degs all around, the fronts gripped too hard and would initiate spinouts in the rear...the stock tires would just slide and understeer like crazy. hope this helps!

Eternalight
2004.05.17, 06:29 PM
when I drove my bro's mini-z. I think he said there were 35s on the front and I think it was 20s in the back. After a few minutes the front tires would start slipping off the rims b/c it was too soft and it would slow down and mess up the alignment, then you had to slide the tire back in.

edit* oh yea, the combination worked great btw. It allowed powerslide and good grip for turning, at least to my experience. Only about three times did the car traction roll and we were playing for a few hours.

techno
2004.05.18, 02:11 PM
a quick fix i found was to put shoe goo on the tires it hols the m on real well go light with it and you can get it back off your rims too

matrix
2004.05.18, 03:06 PM
I don't have tire come off problem and i am using X-speed.
Are you guys runing FET and Faster motor?

a quick fix i found was to put shoe goo on the tires it hols the m on real well go light with it and you can get it back off your rims too

Eternalight
2004.05.18, 03:24 PM
I don't really know what a FET is, in fact, I don't know much about mini-z's, I just play with them when I get the chance. So far the car is just stock engine, dry bearings and probably no FET. I should try the shoe goo thing, thanks for the tip.

herman
2004.05.18, 11:49 PM
hmm... instead of shoo goo.... try double sidded tape... the thin kind... :D

Eternalight
2004.05.19, 12:36 AM
would folding scotch tape to double-side it have basically same effect?

herman
2004.05.19, 06:14 AM
would folding scotch tape to double-side it have basically same effect?

nope... it doesn't work that way