PDA

View Full Version : Lap counter needed.

NT2
2004.06.28, 05:18 PM
RCP, I must say, I am amazed at how quickly you were able to fill the need for an affordable modular track- excellent job.
Thanks to you we have access to an awesome track but are still missing an affordable lap counter.
While navigating through the web, it seems that the most logical way of counting laps would be with the lapz system, and according to their website, they will accomodate distributors with an oem package.

What are the chances you can either:
A) acquire some counters and bundle them with your tracks at an affordable price, or.
B) Use your influence and persuade Kyosho to either distribute the counter in the US or allow you to distribute the counter for them.

I think that there are many members in this community, myself included, that are ready and willing to take at-home-races to the next level.

Just think about how many tracks have been sold since you started, now imagine how many more could be sold if the counter was available.

I for one, and I am sure there are many others that think the same, will rather get a Mini Tile 96 an a lap counter instead of driving 40+ miles and paying x amount of dollars to race for an hour.

Could you give us a hand?? :D :D :D

techno
2004.06.28, 05:33 PM
I second that for me being one of the mod challenged and would love a professional looking timing system that can count multiple cars well at least 6

arch2b
2004.06.28, 05:53 PM
i would love to have a timing system that wouldn't require a small loan to get.

imagine this on a super mini tile track :eek: only i want the layout with my 50cm tiles.

pHREDD
2004.06.28, 06:15 PM
I would get one too if it was affordable.....

TNB
2004.06.28, 07:01 PM
Since I already own a personal transponder, I'd like to have a "cheap" but worthwhile lap counter. Yelling the lap number to the cats (or even to human lap counters) doesn't quite cut it. Then again, if it turned into a Palmdale episode, I'd probably quit counting anyway.

I tried the cheap Radio Shack Zip-Zap lap counter and the sensor wouldn't even reach all the way across the 50cm tile track though it would probably work fine on the Super-Mini Tile Track. It made it interesting though because it would reach about 1/2 way across so I set the sensors in the middle of the track and drove between them (and "into" them a couple of times). The difficult part was finding a location where I consistently drove between the sensors without having to slow down.

For everyone's information, I've been going back and forth with the Nomadio radio people regarding their new sensor radio which will soon be released. Sometime back, I brought up digital servos, the Mini-Z, and the possible use of the "unique" signal to be used in place of a transponder. I was recently informed that the radio will "now" have an option so that it can be used with both analog and digital servos, that Nomadio is now looking into the option of using the sensor for personal lap counting, but even though I suggested "mounting" the sensor unit much like a personal transponder, it is still a no go since the Sensor transceiver is 1" high and the sensor requires power, 3 servo jacks, and 3 sensor jacks.

Jitter-Z
2004.06.28, 10:48 PM
Guys,

I'm building it now... For myself anyways. If enough people have interest
I can build a limited number. Here are the details:

1) no computer needed! The main unit is a 2"x3" printed circuit board with
a 4-digit 7 segment display that will show the number of laps and the lap time.

2) The brains behind the lap counter is a small IC chip that can be
programmed to do the counting functions. It can be re-programmed as
well so if I change the logic in the future, it can be upgraded easily.

3) I want to keep the transmitter that attaches to the car as simple as
possible. So, there is only an infrared transmitter (one of 3 frequencies)
with no extra encoding chip like on the lapz transponders. This limits it to
3 cars since there are only 3 frequencies that the transmitters come in :-(

4) there are also start LED's (red, yellow, yellow, green) and a buzzer for starting the race :-) They light up in sequence at 1sec intervals with a short
buzz each second. When the green light turns on, there is a longer start
buzzer (and you floor it of course).

My guess is that it would cost $50-$100 per unit. Each driver can bring his own counter to the race :-) Any suggestions are welcome...

Thanks,
Jitter

davkin
2004.06.28, 11:55 PM
Sounds interesting, but unless it can count at least 6 cars it's not of much use. It's a shame, I'd really like to get hold of an affordable lap counting system. I don't want to use the laser system with the flags. Looks like the LapZ is the next best thing to the AMB but no distributors have picked it up in the US.

David

Jitter-Z
2004.06.29, 01:31 AM
Davkin,

It's not a problem to add the encoder and decoder IC chips. But, that adds
another $6.00 to each transmitter and receiver. I don't race more than 3
cars on my mini-tile RCP track. But, I guess I can include the extra chips.
With the encoder chip, you can race 256 cars :-) I'll put together a prototype
in the next couple of weeks (assuming I have time).

Are people willing to pay $100 bucks or so for a portable lap counter with all
the features described above? You'll have to built a simple platform/bar to hold
the sensor and lap counter circuit board though... But, that should be a fun
side project...

Thanks,
Jitter

TNB
2004.06.29, 01:49 AM
Jitter-Z,
Would "$100 bucks or so" cover the total cost of the portable lap counter, all the features previously described, and six sensors/receivers so that six Zs can run at once right out of the box? What sort of things would cause interference if any, i.e. lighting, flooring, etc. and can the sensor circuit board be ran under the track or does it have to be run over the top of the track or is it sort of like the Radio Shack Zip Zap unit? If it has to run over the top of the track, how high can the sensing units be set?

NT2
2004.06.29, 07:14 AM
Jitter-Z, do you have any prototype pictures?

The concept sounds excellent, and I agree with Davkin, we need to be able to race at least six cars.

What I liked the most about the LAPZ system was that it was small and you could add many cars, and using the laptop, you could keep track of all cars in the same display.

You mentioned that the display was four digits, how will it display both the lap # and the time, and does every car need a separate display?

With regards to the cost, I feel most people would not mind paying for a product as long as the product is worth the price.

The majority of the members in this forum (me included) would rather pay full price for an original mini-z than save a few bucks and buy a cheap imitation that will break .

Someone once said, buy cheap, buy twice.

We all want the best for as little as possible, but if a few bucks will add more features and flexibility, I say go for it. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Dragon40
2004.06.29, 08:13 AM
A supposed Radio Shack insider posted in another forum, about Xmods getting a mutli car lap counting system, that hooks to a PC, at a affordable price… in the near future. Which could have been modded to work on Mini-Zs. But, after hearing that the Xmods Summer Racing Tour is using the Ambrc.com lap counter… it kinda kills that idea. Which means RS’s lap counting device is not ready, or not even in the works.

Who ever comes out with a awesome, and affordable lap counter first, is going rule the market.

lornecherry
2004.06.29, 08:20 AM
We've done a lot of research into lap counters over the past three years, and I agree, short of the AMBrc everything else is medicore at best. LapZ was supposed to send us units four months ago, but they seem unprofessional at best ...never replying to emails or taking 3 months to reply. We still have no units.

There is certainly a strong market for a $299 - $399 professional 6-8 car system that does not have the weaknesses of a flag-based system.

With respect to single car systems ...been there, done that. We've enhanced the Tomy Lap counter with a laser beam an it works very well for 1 car across a wide track. (The stock Tomy unit is good for only 10 inches or so). The laser enhancement sells for $49 and is nothing more than a laser beam in a height-adjustable base that has minute adjustments. But it's still only for single cars and thus will not be of two much use for races, other than setting the field.

I've heard so many promises of decent lap systems, received tons of emails but yet to see anything really good. (We've tried them all from KO Propo to the best of the flag systems).

Jitter ....if you can demonstrate a reliable, working 6-car system (forget single car, the Tomy system with a laser is cheap and easy to do) then I know our compnay could committ to at least 100 units ...and I think RCP would easily match that too ...so there's the challenge and a guaranteed market! -Lorne

lornecherry
2004.06.29, 08:33 AM
Here's a picture of our laser-enhanced single car system. Simple and elegant with the major pitfall of only being able to time one car. Entire system costs $59, of which $49 is for the adjustable beam laser. Does, timed laps, best laps, total laps within a specific times, and time for a set amount of laps. We also combine this with a foot operated countdown starting light but as...

....my electrical engineering skills approach that of a rhesus monkey, this is as far as we go into lap timing. As I posted above, we are hoping someone is able to develop a system beyond the current laser/flag systems with the functionally of the AMBrc system at a sub $500 price. - Lorne

arch2b
2004.06.29, 08:40 AM
A supposed Radio Shack insider posted in another forum, about Xmods getting a mutli car lap counting system, that hooks to a PC, at a affordable price… in the near future. Which could have been modded to work on Mini-Zs. But, after hearing that the Xmods Summer Racing Tour is using the Ambrc.com lap counter… it kinda kills that idea. Which means RS’s lap counting device is not ready, or not even in the works.

Who ever comes out with a awesome, and affordable lap counter first, is going rule the market.
it was my understanding that rs was going to offer an existing system for sale, not develope a new one which turns out to be the case.

jitter, you can't ask for a better incentive than lorne's ;) good luck with your efforts

lornecherry
2004.06.29, 09:28 AM
Arch ...I'm not sure what RS could offer in "existing systems" since the only two worthwhile are the AMBrc and the LapZ (with a remote possibilty of the KO Propo). None of these companies are easy to work for the following reasons:

AMB will not want to canabalize their $3K system, KO Propo's system is so-so ...well, maybe LapZ ...but they already have a deal with Kyosho. (Just putting on my marketing hat here in speculating that I doubt it is one of these.)

However, given RS's deep pockets and experience in OEM development, there might be something in the works with a third party developer.

I still marvel at the ZIP ZAP SE and what an improvement that was over the Bit Char G and other clones. Likewise, the XMODS. We know that RS is VERY committed to small scale R/C and R/C in general and XMODS is clear evidence of their move into the hobby market (as opposed to toys)

...OK, I've opened the door a crack here ...would there be a RS insider lurking in shadows that is able to tell us more?

arch2b
2004.06.29, 09:45 AM
i thought i read somewhere that rs had decided to use the arc system as opposed to the amb-it system kyosho used for the mini-z cup events. i might be worng... i assumed if they were using an existing timing system for their race circuit, they would be selling it as well much like the rcp track system they will be using and selling. assumptions are usually where people get into trouble so it is possible i am wrong.

why spend the money to develope something new when you can rebadge an existing product? most compaines would rather do this than invest in the r&d to develope their own system. rs had to have sunk allot of money into the xmod already. lets just hope they release an xmod se ;)

ok, i've taken this more off topic than i wanted, so lets keep this to lap counting and not cars please. this applies to myself as well :rolleyes:

Jitter-Z
2004.06.29, 03:42 PM
lornecherry,

I know I can build this... I am an electrical engineer :-) But, it'll take me a little
bit of time to build the prototype. I was planning on building just single lap count
units where each driver would buy/use his own. But, having a reliable system
that handles multiple cars that uses the infrared encoders is a bit more tricky.
I may end up building only a 6 car version that would have 6 time/lap count
displays, start timer/LED's, and buzzer. It would also require a larger FPGA to
handle all the functions. The final cost may be in the $300 range which may
be a little too steep for most people though :-(

-- Jitter

lornecherry
2004.06.29, 04:20 PM
Jiiter: here's what the market wants:

Simple 6-8 car hardware system that interfaces with any of the popular race management software programs ...and with the ability to "arrive and drive" (i.e. bypass the complex race heat entry and naming software and simply display car postions, lap times and best laps as drivers cross the detection area.

Detectors/receivers/wires need to either hide under the track (as the AMB system does) or in a strarting bridge (as with flag-based systems).

Transponders or other emiiters should easily harness into the Mini-Z battery or smaller (3.6 volt would also be good, as that would include Epoch size) and if it were possible ... the 1/64th scale market (Zip Zap, MicroSizers) would be a bonus and increase sales (although you would need something very lightweight and minature to fit in the car.)

$299 is a great price point and if was few dollars more than that's OK ... a fully outfitted KO Propo is $2K and AMB is $3K ...only LapZ is under $500.

Make it too big, too complex or unattractiive and the market will certainly reject it. See the the LapZ site ...they've got it down right and are missing a huge market leadership opportunity in North America by not getting this to market faster.

Hope this helps .... other forum members, please comment on what you'd like to see.

itter, if you build it, they will come! -Lorne

NT2
2004.06.29, 05:39 PM
Jitter-Z, I second everything Lornecherry said, in fact, if you can make a system such as the one depicted by Lornecherry, and works wonderfully for around $300~$350, then consider one unit sold. :D :D :D

davkin
2004.06.29, 07:27 PM
It's not a problem to add the encoder and decoder IC chips. But, that adds

Well, I'm pretty much electronically illiterate so I don't have much idea what you are talking about. :D We do have an electronics guru in our club and he's been kicking something around in his head but hasn't got down to brass tacks yet.

I would pay for a 6 car system that just counts laps on separate displays, but not a lot. For $300+ I'd want what Lorncherry describes. I would really like to see an affordable RF system for the masses, but maybe that's wishing too much.

David

Jitter-Z
2004.06.29, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I've thought about a RFid system. I think I will experiment with it...
But, it may cost a little more $$$. The antenna's are the most expensive thing,
anwhere from $100-$300. But, no hacking of your mini-z is needed with
the transponders since they require no DC power.

The infrared lap counter project is something I was intending to only build for myself. I'm uninterested
in making it work with a computer interface since I don't want to have to drag my
laptop out just for a race. The 7-segment displays will show all the useful info like
# of laps, lap time, current position, and best lap time for each car. Am I missing
any other inportant info people would want?

Thanks,
-- Jitter

RCPMini-z
2004.06.29, 09:17 PM
Arch, the AMB i.t. system is currently being used in the RadioShack XRL tournament and the RCP tracks and timing system have worked beautifully for the first two events in West Palm Beach and Winston Salem. Although the AMB i.t. system is one of the best in the industry, as you already know, it does not come cheap.

Although I can't offer much information on open forum at this time, RCP Tracks is currently working on a lap timing system/ track package. We have contacted a few of the higher quality lap timing system manufacturers and are currently discussing the options available to us.

NT2, through our contacts at Kyosho and other large companies in the RC industry, if there is a way to offer our tracks and a high quality lap timing system, geared more for use in somebody's home price-wise, we will offer it.

Racemonster505
2004.06.30, 12:36 AM
I dont know if this will help but i got some links to a Palm enabled Lap counter using IR it was featured on Tech TV The Screen savers here are some links

http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=ZILG&script=410&layout=0&item_id=584099
had some cool features
also here's more info on it http://www.geekfreaks.com/

seem to be a cool system you can have MP3'S starting the race is sounds cool. but ill you guys decide

for all you track onwers if this sounds like a good system can you let me know im thinking of opeing a Mini-z raceway more i know before I start the better

NT2
2004.06.30, 06:21 PM
RCP, thanks for the info, please keep us posted since, as you can see, there is a lot of interest.

davkin
2004.06.30, 09:22 PM
I dont know if this will help but i got some links to a Palm enabled Lap counter using IR it was featured on Tech TV The Screen savers here are some links

You have to use the flags to have mulitple cars and multiple lazers at different heights, (ie latency project), and every driver would have to have a PDA sounds like. It's basically just a lazer system using a pda rather than a laptop. Not really an option as far as I'm concerned.

David

Racemonster505
2004.06.30, 10:21 PM
No just one person has a pda the system. i think it can be setup many differnt ways IR ,RF. all the PDA does is do the setup of the race. sorry the links are not informitive . the demo on show was better .

francis_Z
2004.07.01, 12:42 AM
oohhhhh! Would be nice to have sensors imbedded inside RCP Track tiles. Makes for a clean setup :)

davkin
2004.07.01, 12:52 AM
No just one person has a pda the system. i think it can be setup many differnt ways IR ,RF. all the PDA does is do the setup of the race. sorry the links are not informitive . the demo on show was better

So, really it's just a transmitter and receiver for the race data to software on a pda? That's not really a lap counting system, it's just something to take place of a laptop and wires. I'm sure a wireless system could be set up with a laptop as well, and you have far more choices for software with a laptop.

David

RCPMini-z
2004.07.11, 05:15 PM
Lap Timing System Update

There is a high quality multiple car lap timing system currently in the works for US distribution. It should be available within the next few months and may be offered at prices below $500. Combination timing system and RCP Track packages are likely. I can't disclose actual retail pricing and track/timing system combination prices, nor can I disclose the timing system manufacturer, but I will keep you updated as soon as more can be released.

rlc77
2004.07.11, 05:19 PM
Lap Timing System Update

There is a high quality multiple car lap timing system currently in the works for US distribution. It should be available within the next few months and may be offered at prices sub $500. Combination timing system and RCP Track packages are likely. I can't disclose actual retail pricing and track/timing system combination prices, nor can I disclose the timing system manufacturer, but I will keep you updated as soon as more can be released.
That's great news..................... :D

Can't wait to see it.

latency
2004.07.11, 10:48 PM
Lap Timing System Update

There is a high quality multiple car lap timing system currently in the works for US distribution. It should be available within the next few months and may be offered at prices below $500. Combination timing system and RCP Track packages are likely. I can't disclose actual retail pricing and track/timing system combination prices, nor can I disclose the timing system manufacturer, but I will keep you updated as soon as more can be released.

Hey RCP, sounds great...something we have allll been looking for. Keep me in the loop on this one, would love one for the house! :)

-latency

G-Class
2004.07.12, 12:53 PM
Lap counter can be downloaded at http://www.easy-rc.com/laptrack/ I do not know how good it is.

arch2b
2004.07.12, 05:03 PM
Lap Timing System Update

some of the best news i've heard :D can't wait to get my hands on it

RCPMini-z
2004.07.13, 01:24 PM
arch, we are working on a few RCP track displays for the International Hobby Expo in Rosemont, Illinois. For the show we are working on some RCP track displays for two different areas, so if your planning on making the trip, you can check out the system in person. There is a good chance that both tracks will have the system set up and there should be public testing available in addition to random demos. We will most likely set up some smaller Mini and Super Mini tracks in addition to the displays using the wide lane version. If we can swing it, we just may set up one of our Kyosho Palm Cruiser boat tracks.

I could make arrangements for you to be apart of the RCP team during the show and help us with the tracks, timing system and demos.

arch2b
2004.07.13, 07:55 PM
rcp,
free time is in short supply for me right now, read this (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14273)

i don't see that event in your previous thread (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14049&page=1&pp=15). if you can update the information, i will see what i can do as i would love to get the opportunity to help out. it would be the least i could do for all the help you've given me with my track ;) i keep an eye on the "events" thread hoping you swing closer to the east coast...

is it this (http://www.ihobbyexpo.com/) event?

RCPMini-z
2004.07.13, 08:04 PM
Yes arch, your time is in short supply. Congratulations!

I did hint a little to this in my previous thread, when I mentioned upcoming events in Chicago.

I will keep you updated.

arch2b
2004.07.13, 08:10 PM
Yes arch, your time is in short supply. Congratulations!

I did hint a little to this in my previous thread, when I mentioned upcoming events in Chicago.

I will keep you updated.
i've already asked the wife and she said, "go and have fun" lets just see if that's still true close to october

RCPMini-z
2004.08.02, 11:00 AM
The LapZ timing system will be available here in the US very soon. It should be available to over 5000 US hobby stores through a large US hobby distributor. We are currently working on an RCP Track and timing system combination package. We hope to have some pricing information shortly.

TNB
2004.08.02, 11:04 AM
Soon: in or within a short time; before long; quickly

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=75787&dict=CALD

herman
2004.08.03, 12:56 AM
hmm.... indeed good news...

track and a lapcounter.... sounds yummy.... now if i only had the mulah... :D

any info on international orders? i.e. shipping etc... :D

arch2b
2004.08.04, 04:39 PM
turns out tower has the lapz system listed or atleast prelisted...

Retail
KYOP0105 LapZ Lap Counting System $899.99
KYOP0107 LapZ Transponder 69.99

Special Stock#
KYOP0105 LapZ Lap Counting System

Tower's Low Price

Stock Status
Late Aug

Special Stock#
KYOP0107 LapZ Transponder

Tower's Low Price

Stock Status
Late Aug

rcp, have you tested this system yet? i've read about concerns of high light environments etc....

lornecherry
2004.08.04, 08:26 PM
Porta-Trax is also developing a special OEM version of the LapZ system ... we have been working on a system that will have significant enhancements over the Kyosho version including the ability to work with a variety of track widths ....I'll have more within the next 30 days ...and our price should be much better than Tower also. - Lorne

RCPMini-z
2004.08.04, 11:00 PM
Lorne,

Since you have tested Kyosho's version of the LapZ system, in your opinion, what are the pros and cons of the system with respect to the Mini-z's and why do you feel Kyosho's version needs significant enhancements?

lornecherry
2004.08.04, 11:11 PM
....all I can say at this time is our OEM system will have some differences from the current version of the Devinco product marketed by Kyosho. It would be inappropriate for me to discuss these with you before our offical product release, but I will certainly post as we get closer to finishing development.
- Lorne

RCPMini-z
2004.08.05, 09:18 AM
Lorne,

I am not asking you to post your special OEM version "Secrets". Not many forum members have had the opportunity to experience the LapZ and since you have already tested it, it would be nice to hear your thoughts on how it performed with the Mini-Z. I don't think that information would be inappropriate.

lornecherry
2004.08.05, 06:04 PM
OK: I'll do my best to summurize my experience with lap timing euipment over the past three years.

First, my experience with the LapZ system is somewhat dated, and at best, very limited .... we are still awaiting the newest version, which has supposed improvements to the transponder and software. (I have only run the system on a single car with very old software and have not run it in a true racing environment. Moreover, it was an RS/4 Micro and not a Z.)

The system worked fine, but the software was rudimentary and not user-friendly Since then, Lapz has gone through many improvements and revisions, and based on corespondence from various European sources, the system is very good and stable at this point. More to the point, it's the only game in town for under $2K

What we'll see with LapZ, is a 50%+ drop in the cost of professional lap timing; certainly welcome, but still far from the magical $299 4-car system we all envisioned. (Blame the weak US dollar and too many layers of distribution) At $1,000+ or so with 6 transponders, I doubt many Z enthusiasts will find a LapZ in their Christmas stockings. (Or let me put it this way; if they drop the price of the a Ferrari 360 by 50% ... I still can't afford one, no matter how great the car is and such is true with $3K timing equipment.) Thus, the door is still open with respect to capturing the consumer market if someone does an entire system that is $299.

--

I've had extensive conversations with both AMB and KO Propo ... and the problem (accoroding to KO) is market size. In order to get the price down, they've got sell more, notwithstanding no distributor will commit to a niche product over $1K if they cannot sell 100+ a year. And let's not forget the AMBrc is really a trickle-down technology from full scale and karting ...the transponder is still a bit too big for the Z ...upsetting critical racing balance (I do not have enough experience with the LapZ to pass judgement in that respect.) Whereas $3-4K for timing equipment is peanuts for a $100K commerical karting outfit where AMB is the status quo, R/C hobbyists and even hobby stores are reluctant to invest that kind of money.

I also mirror CP Raceway's experience ...for pure Mini-Z, the transponderless KO Propo is ideal ... but again, few of us are going to invest $2K in timing equipment that is only suitable for 27MHz ...many tracks that run Zs also run RS/4 Micro, hence the AMBrc has been the system most tracks use. What is needed is products that bring into the Z into the hobby mainstream, not proprietary equipment that only works with the Z (are yoou listening KO).

---

So there you have it .... the LapZ will indeed effectively cut the price of lap timing in half or more ...but I still think the market is open to a developer who can come up with a non-flag system for $299 for 4 cars (within reach of those who want to host a Saturday night racing league at their home) to $499 for a 6-8 car system. (In keeping ith the work done by ourselves and RCP to improve the overall Mini-Z experience, I think the $299 lap timer is the final missing piece of the puzzle.)

I will add more over the next few months when we've had more time with the latest LapZ and I'm sure hoping we can get the price under the Tower prices posted above. - Lorne

pchan0
2004.08.05, 06:21 PM
I will add more over the next few months when we've had more time with the latest LapZ and I'm sure hoping we can get the price under the Tower prices posted above. - Lorne

Are you going to let Mini-Z hobby shop in Toronto to test your lap system?

lornecherry
2004.08.05, 06:36 PM
...yes, that might be a great local test facility! ... I know they have a dedicated core of Z racers there. (Sure be nice if they'd put in our rail system too ...would greatly improve their carpet track.) Our first few units will be going to our commerical rental customers, but we could do something with the Mini-Z Hobby Shop within the next 60 days.

Contact me mid-Septmeber and perhaps we'll set up something for upcoming Fall season. -Lorne

pchan0
2004.08.05, 09:29 PM
...yes, that might be a great local test facility! ... I know they have a dedicated core of Z racers there. (Sure be nice if they'd put in our rail system too ...would greatly improve their carpet track.) Our first few units will be going to our commerical rental customers, but we could do something with the Mini-Z Hobby Shop within the next 60 days.

Contact me mid-Septmeber and perhaps we'll set up something for upcoming Fall season. -Lorne

I'll let them know, it would be for sure nice to see a lap counting system at Mini-Z Hobby Shop for this coming winter race season.

arch2b
2004.08.14, 03:17 PM
tower has just lowered the prices.....
Kyosho Lap Z System 600 w/CD Lap Counting System
Special Stock#
LXHCS9

Tower's Low Price

Stock Status
Late Aug

Kyosho Lap Z Transponder
Special Stock#
LXHCT0

Tower's Low Price

Stock Status
Late Aug

lornecherry
2004.08.14, 11:41 PM
Arch ... chalk up one for the little guy ... we are much cheaper than Tower ...selling the system for $499 as kit (just add your own bridge) ...kit includes a transponder and free shipping. Additionally, our kit will accomodate 36" tracks, whereas the Kysoho is limited to 24".

For those of you who want an RTR (ready-to-run) system with a pre-built bridge; we should have those ready in 30 days for $599, including a transponder and the ability to accomodate 36" tracks.

We also intend to improve the system by adding enhancements over the next few months, as well, Porta-Trax will offer full support (necessary for a computer-based product).

Our company is now fully commited to the LapZ and I am pleased that a pro timing system is now available for under $500. - Lorne

I-Lap
2004.10.08, 09:36 PM
Hi all,

I have recently finished developing a lapcounter for my track. It is very similar to Lapz and outputs AMB20 protocol to a PC.

The price is not yet as low as you would like but should come down as production goes up. I've priced it at $650 for a 60" width 8 car system. I need to break down the pricing per component to be more accurate - a 42" 4 car system could be around $400.

Check out http://www.rclapcounter.com for pictures and details.

I would love to here any comments and suggestions

Thanks,
Craig

davkin
2004.10.09, 12:26 AM
Hi all,

I have recently finished developing a lapcounter for my track. It is very similar to Lapz and outputs AMB20 protocol to a PC.

The price is not yet as low as you would like but should come down as production goes up. I've priced it at $650 for a 60" width 8 car system. I need to break down the pricing per component to be more accurate - a 42" 4 car system could be around $400.

Thanks,
Craig

Looks interesting. Will the system work on a 24" track?

David

I-Lap
2004.10.09, 07:29 AM
Looks interesting. Will the system work on a 24" track?

David

Yes, just use less bridge sensors.

Craig

davkin
2004.10.09, 11:26 AM
Since it's IR, could sunlight affect it? We run in a garage with the door open during summer.

David

I-Lap
2004.10.09, 11:44 AM
It shouldn't, especially in a garage.

It was designed for my 1/18th scale rental track and used primarily outdoors. Most of the time I was under a canopy (for my protection) and never had any problems with sunlight.

Worst case outdoors, you would need some shading from direct sunlight.

rlc77
2004.10.10, 06:45 AM
Hi all,

Thanks,
CraigI'm assuming this needs a line of site between the bridge and the transponder. Does the window tinting on a Mini Z affect reception?

I-Lap
2004.10.10, 09:02 AM
I'm assuming this needs a line of site between the bridge and the transponder. Does the window tinting on a Mini Z affect reception?

Not the ones I have seen. If you look at any device with infrared ports (laptop, PDA, some cell phones) you will see they have a tinted plastic window over them.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.10.12, 06:31 PM
Although the price is right, the method is not exactly what i'm looking for, it seems like there are too many ify answers to do with the IR sensors... when you get a professional review i'll take a look again Craig, but until then I can't purchase. Nice price point though, sounds like it could work out for you.

I-Lap
2004.10.12, 11:11 PM
As far as the ify answers go, I've been told I'm a horrible salesman :)

What would you suggest for a professional review?
Production volume is way too low for a magazine review, I am still building them by hand at home (just like Mom used to).

Are there any events coming up near Chicago where I can demonstrate?

TNB
2004.10.13, 11:18 AM
Are there any events coming up near Chicago where I can demonstrate?
[International] iHobby Expo
20th Annual International Show
October 14-17, 2004
Donald E. Stephens Convention Center
Rosemont, Illinois, USA

http://ihobbyexpo.com

I-Lap
2004.10.13, 01:54 PM
[International] iHobby Expo
20th Annual International Show
October 14-17, 2004
Donald E. Stephens Convention Center
Rosemont, Illinois, USA

http://ihobbyexpo.com

I was planning on attending as a spectator.

As far as I can tell, the biggest concern folks have is sunlight so I'd rather not demonstrate it indoors, assuming they would even let me carry it in.

Craig

Twenty-Se7en
2004.10.13, 08:52 PM
I was planning on attending as a spectator.

As far as I can tell, the biggest concern folks have is sunlight so I'd rather not demonstrate it indoors, assuming they would even let me carry it in.

Craig
Great thinking Craig, it's nice that you are listening to what the people have to say.