PDA

View Full Version : Speed upgrades

nitrojunk
2004.07.15, 07:06 AM
What speed upgrades can I do to the monster without having to stack FETS?

pHREDD
2004.07.15, 07:17 AM
Bearings
x-speed motor
bigger pinion gear

nitrojunk
2004.07.15, 08:58 AM
how about a turbo?

pHREDD
2004.07.15, 10:01 AM
Someone else will have to answer that I have never done a turbo on any of my Z's

davisdavis
2004.07.15, 10:26 AM
i think turbos are too much wires and added weight, also very messy.
if one of the six wires on the turbo came off (when using turbo motors), the fets on the pcb will fry immediately, at least that's what i think.

TeaQue
2004.07.15, 12:03 PM
The only way you can a turbo to work on a monster is by making it "ghetto" and having to plug and unplug the battery wires before you turn the truck on/off.

honestly, add 2 more cells like I did.

You can get the AAA holder from radio shack for like $1.99 and you will have a lot more power than just the turbo. I know. I've had both. :D

arch2b
2004.07.15, 12:23 PM
The only way you can a turbo to work on a monster is by making it "ghetto" and having to plug and unplug the battery wires before you turn the truck on/off.

You can get the AAA holder from radio shack for like $1.99 and you will have a lot more power than just the turbo. I know. I've had both. :D
can you post a picture of where you attached the wires from the aaa holder?

pHREDD
2004.07.15, 12:28 PM

So your saying you can add 2 more cells without a fet upgrade right?

TeaQue
2004.07.15, 12:47 PM
So your saying you can add 2 more cells without a fet upgrade right?
Yes.

Pics are coming and in another thread so everyone will see them :D

arch2b
2004.07.15, 01:03 PM
thanks. i bought the cell holder and i soldered on two ring terminals and screwed them into the inner chassis power conenctions and i got nothing :confused: if anything, it ran slower. i'm trying to do this mod in an easily removeable fashion.

AR2
2004.07.15, 01:12 PM
me too, running 6 cells sometimes, without any fets and turbo. :p

when i want the extra speed, i just plug 2 more cells in(between any 2 existing cells), and there s no chasis modification and soldering job to do. Total cost for this 40% more power is about 50 pence , PCB seems to be holding up 7.2v well. The only problem is high CG, since I could only put the battery case on top of shock mounts without chasis modification.

(sometimes I put these below the chasis when i race my friends' on flat surface :p , theres still enough ground clearance about 8mm, but much more stable cornering.

btw, motor i have used are x speed / pn speedy / atomic stock, pn s the fastet, but weakeset in acceleration. now i m using atomic stock, superb torque! ...very short run time and noisy though.