PDA

View Full Version : Problems With Mini Zs

petersiu007
2002.02.12, 11:36 PM
Is it just me, or do Mini Zs start dying after 3 or 4 months? I've noticed with many of my friends' cars that it starts jittering for no apparent reason after 3 or 4 months... Do they have bummed cars? or does this happen to everyone? Is there a way to solve this? btw, they don't have ANY upgrades or turbos, just stock cars that run fine but then start jittering. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

wrcracer
2002.02.12, 11:55 PM
i think that it may just be you. mine hasn't done anything like that, and i've had it since '99.

funkydog
2002.02.13, 12:24 AM
what do your friends put their cars through? If they race them outside or on long carpet that might explain it. I only race mine on an indoor track. I don't think you can put the miniz through whatever and expect it to come out unscathed.

petersiu007
2002.02.13, 10:31 AM
They don't run the cars on bad surfaces, but they do run them hard... maybe that's the problem... can anyone suggest a fix to this? thanks

mini-z
2002.02.13, 10:49 AM
Well, I've had my race Z for about 2 years and it's still as good as the day I first drove it...sounds like some kind of damage was inflicted to me.

HKS117
2002.02.13, 04:44 PM
That's strange.I've had mine for about 3-4 months and I've had the same problem.I've run it on indoor track only.There was a thread on here that discussed the lifespan of Mini-Z that focused more on the problem.

Personally I think that over time connections slowly start to wear out and needs to be re-soldered and tighten down any loose connection.

petersiu007
2002.02.13, 05:36 PM
I saw similar problems posted on a forum for HK people. They say to use "zip" paper and using "pcb". They claim the problem originates from the "VR" I have no idea what those terms mean so if anyone can clear that up for me, that would be great. Thanks

Mondo
2002.02.13, 05:58 PM
I bought Mini-Z number 1 about5, almost 6 months ago.

I've run it on some pretty rough surfaces and hit some immovable objects too. No problems to date.
Minbi-Z #2 ahsn't been used too much yet and the F1 has had some good runs and is trouble free.

Justin
2002.02.13, 07:18 PM
There MAY and may not be an electronics fault in the board... Ask Drac to have a look at it and he'll be able to tell you whether or not it's dead... Also if I didn't remember wrongly, Drac mentioned that if the board is faulty within 3 months or something or rather, you can get it replaced by Kyosho free of charge (is that right Drac?).... Or it could be radio interference or dodgy batteries....

Ask Drac for more help.... He's the electronics man in the forum.

Cheers~!:D

Draconious
2002.02.13, 10:28 PM
not realy electronics man... just if it works I post it... no electronic classes other then one in Highschool were the teacher never showed more then 10% of the total days...

any way hobbico or whatever Kyoshos US distributor / supporter is.. what ever site they link to on the Kyosho.com page... will accept them, instead of repairing they usualy send a whole new car... but you gota send yer car in first. I was told I could send mine in a while back but I never did... I got to attached to this puppy, i mean Mini-z...

PS. if any one has burnt esc, I need to buy one that works at least forward or reverse... with or with out bad/good range... for a few expirements, the more that works the more Imight pay for it, but I aint paying more then 30% of a new one... even if its almost mint. I dont realy need the servo parts.. but would be nice... heck if I dont kill it in the tests I might even fix it and send it back ;).

Ken Mifune
2002.02.13, 11:38 PM
petersiu007,

I don't know what the "zip" or "pcb" is but the "VR" is refering to servo pot that tells it where center is. This being the main culprit of the twitching makes sense because it's electro-mechanical (besides the motor of course) and it probably just wears out. It gets a pretty good workout and the servo components aren't sealed well at all.

This part of the Z has always been the weakest aspect.

W-tone
2002.02.14, 01:32 AM
Well PCB refers to a Printed Circuit Board, in this case the Rx/ESC board.
Could you post a link to the HK-forum. I could try if I can make some sense out of it with babelfish :)

W-t

W-tone
2002.02.14, 01:44 AM
Well PCB refers to a Printed Circuit Board, in this case I think the Rx/ESC board.
Could you post a link to the HK-forum. I could try if I can make some sense out of it with babelfish :)

W-t

petersiu007
2002.02.14, 09:41 AM
Here's the link to the forum
http://hk-miniz.com/
Thanks everyone for posting replys! I was searching around the forum for steering problems and found the paper trick. I'm going to try that and tell my friends tomorrow. Thanks again! :)

W-tone
2002.02.14, 05:03 PM
Pete
Umm.. well it would help enourmously if you'd post the URL to the specific thread or even a post. It is a bit troublesome after all to search through the forum using babelfish.

Sorry for the previous double posting, somehing was wrong with my ADSL and or computer when I posted them and now I just can't delete either of them.
W-t

petersiu007
2002.02.14, 06:16 PM
hehe... i can't find it now either...

mikez
2007.11.23, 05:34 PM
good luck ;)