PDA

View Full Version : F1s at AutoZone

West.F1
2004.08.05, 08:04 AM
scale model F1s have been available at AutoZone since the season began. Anyone check them out yet? Mainly 18th scale

TNB
2004.08.05, 10:53 AM
I picked up a new diecast F1 from one of the local stores the other day and use it as a Shell "sign" at Bill's Body Shop. However, the AutoZones I have been to here lately don't seem to have any diecast F1s, but there are quite a few stores here.

The Mini-Z-F1 gathering at Bill's Body Shop (http://mini-zracer.com/albums/album450/Garage_F1_1.jpg)

echoshill
2004.08.05, 12:49 PM
West,

Good to hear from you again.

I bought all four. The Renault and McClaren the first week they came out; The Ferrari and BMW last week. Hilliard AutoZone is completely out as is the one at Hilliard-Rome and Broad. Once they are gone, they are gone....or so AZ says.

The really cool part is that they give a rather large, and well done, poster of all four of the actual cars setting together in front of a black background. Very nice.

The 1/18th scale cars themselves are rather well done. To my surprise each one is unique from the other. Well worh the $30.

TNB
2004.08.05, 03:20 PM
How is the quality compared to the HotWheel F1 series? I have three different sized Hotwheel F1s, including 1/18th scale, 1/43rd scale, and slot cars. I also called a couple of Zones today--one just got in a shipment in but they haven't unloaded it yet and another Zone has them.

West.F1
2004.08.05, 03:25 PM
How is the quality compared to the HotWheel F1 series?

actually they are by HotWheels so the quality is good. Plus they cost less than what a hobby store would charge.

TNB
2004.08.05, 03:30 PM
If they are by HotWheels, then I may already own some of them. The bad thing is that one of the mirrors is broken on my Schumacher Ferrari, just like some of my Mini-Zs. I didn't even break it (dang cleaning people). See what happens when you take them out of the display boxes. By the way, toy stores such as ToysRUs carry them then.

3 Scale F1s (http://mini-zracer.com/albums/album394/F1x3.jpg)

West.F1
2004.08.06, 07:28 AM
yeah, i own a few from HotWheels and have them in display cases. I realy like the detail work on them. Bummer your rear mirror broke. These definately are fragile items.

TNB
2004.08.06, 11:07 AM
I started thinking about the price differences here regarding HotWheels in the LHS too. HobbyTownUSA is the highest, then one of the non-franchise stores is slightly lower, and then Hobby People is the lowest priced. HobbyTownUSA does have a greater selection of various brands of diecast, but they are higher priced for the same HotWheels. Last year, I also purchased a couple of HotWheels at the Hobby Visions Convention for about 1/2 the cost of what I've seen in some of the LHS. The convention will also be held here this coming October.

One nice diecast I picked up at the convention was a "corvette hauler". A tractor-trailer with Corvette logos from the Franklin Mint booth. Then they gave me a free Corvette pocket watch. I turned down the money clip, but I probably should have taken it and just gave it away.