PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate lap Timing System Soon to Be Released

RCPMini-z
2004.08.16, 04:48 PM
RCP Tracks, Inc has recently tested a new lap timing system, soon to be released. The new system uses state of the art new technology to track the lap times of each RC car. No power is needed to run the transponder and the size of each transponder is very small, allowing the system to perform with cars as small as 1/64 scale. No timing bridge tower is needed as the pick up loops will mount under the track. The system will run off your PC through a professional lap timing program. There is no limit to the number of cars on the track other than having enough transmitter frequencies for the cars themselves. Pricing will be very attractive and should be affordable for a person to purchase for their own RCP home track.
Stay tuned for more information and release date.

arch2b
2004.08.16, 05:01 PM
:eek: :D can't wait! sounds like the ko propo system?

byebye
2004.08.16, 05:03 PM
That would definately be cool.

TNB
2004.08.16, 05:16 PM
Pricing will be very attractive and will be affordable for a person to purchase for their own RCP home track. Stay tuned for more information and release date.
I'm "tuned" in! ;)

DAMZer
2004.08.16, 05:40 PM
J, you're da man. If it is indeed "affordable" I'm in :) :D :cool:

RCPMini-z
2004.08.16, 05:41 PM
:eek: :D can't wait! sounds like the ko propo system?

arch, it is NOT the ko propo.

RCPMini-z
2004.08.16, 05:50 PM
J, you're da man. If it is indeed "affordable" I'm in :) :D :cool:

DAMZer, the timing system was not designed by RCP Tracks, Inc, but by another company and they deserve the design credits. More information on the company and the system will be disclosed shortly.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.08.16, 07:10 PM
if it is affordable enough for a "home" rcp track then i'm in for sure... but I think that it would have to be a pretty decent price... cause the price of most of the lap timing systems downright scare me. Goodluck bringing yet another amazing product to the table, I will await more details eagerly!

pHREDD
2004.08.16, 07:23 PM
wil it be comparable to the lap z system?

DAMZer
2004.08.16, 07:39 PM
the timing system was not designed by RCP Tracks, Inc, but by another company and they deserve the design credits. More information on the company and the system will be disclosed shortly.

that's cool, but you my friend are bringing the news to the community, and therefore the kudos ;)

arch2b
2004.08.16, 07:43 PM
you've peaked my interest :p can't wait ;)

francis_Z
2004.08.16, 09:43 PM
No Way RCPMini-Z!!! :D

You got me hooked big time. RCP Tracks and timing to come with it! The ultimate Mini-Z experience at home. And no towers. And doesn't use power from the Z. If the price is affordable, I'm definitely in. Sounds like an expandable approach was used to be at a very good price point.

Great job John!

Bad Company
2004.08.16, 09:47 PM
Guess I'll have to start bringing the laptop to the GTG's arch. ;)

I take it it will work with any PC? Windows based?

RCPMini-z
2004.08.16, 09:51 PM
francis,

I believe if the production system is anything like the system I tested, this will be the ultimate lap timing system. Again, I don't want to take any credit for the design of the system. That was not done by RCP Tracks, Inc. I am posting information now, so people can tune in for future test results and read reviews by other drivers who will soon be testing the system.

rkk
2004.08.16, 10:07 PM
sounds like a RFID system, can't wait.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.08.16, 10:14 PM
Sounds incredible. I really really need this :) I can't wait. Even though there are no towers needed I think that I may look into building a really cool racing tower model kind of like you see on F1 tracks... I think that would jazz up the RCP quite well.

RCP, don't leave us hanging with this info too long now, you know we are interested. Pass this high interest on to the creaters and let them know there is great demand for more details about the system and its software.

:D :D :D

nightcrawler
2004.08.16, 11:15 PM
francis,

I believe if the production system is anything like the system I tested, this will be the ultimate lap timing system. Again, I don't want to take any credit for the design of the system. That was not done by RCP Tracks, Inc. I am posting information now, so people can tune in for future test results and read reviews by other drivers who will soon be testing the system.

Any chance
I could be one of the other drivers who will soon be testing the system?
________
Washington Medical Marijuana Dispensaries (http://washington.dispensaries.org/)

2EZ
2004.08.17, 06:02 AM
This is realy good News DAMZer and I were just talking about this the other day and Both of us would like this addition to our now large collection of Miniz items.
the sucker now has gotten me hooked on Mini Ts also.

I got the package thanks lots I haven't shared with DAMZer yet as work has taken me out of town but I will.

Keep up the good work

2EZ

Maxfield
2004.08.18, 01:45 PM
Count me in on this one. Sounds great!!

Great work as usual RCPMiniZ.

Dutch Mini Racer
2004.08.18, 04:26 PM
NICE !!

I would really really love the get a timeing system for my track...

Don't keep us waiting so loooong :p

Grtz

USATorque55
2004.08.18, 05:39 PM
Make it mac compatible, thats all I'm saying...

I'm sick and tired of only PC stuff

Hammer
2004.08.18, 06:45 PM
Make it mac compatible, thats all I'm saying...

I'm sick and tired of only PC stuffAll right, there is another mac user out there. Iíll have to ditto that! :D

Btman
2004.08.19, 01:32 PM
I wonder whether a system like this would work on multi channel cars such as Zip Zap SEs and 1/43 scale DG master or Radio Shack Vipers/Corvettes. If it is some sort of RFID system, there may be issues compared to fixed crystal/channel cars like mini Zs, Xmods, standard Zip Zaps,Superslicks ETC.

rkk
2004.08.19, 03:10 PM
If I'm not mistaken the AMB is RFID. A system based on the 13.56 rfid tags would be ideal. Tags (transponder) would add virutally no wieght and can be bought for under $1.50 each when buying 100. In addition smart tags (small amount of memory) could carry all your registration information and possibly historical racing info.

Unfortunately the reason you don't see more Mac application is poor ROI.

mini-z
2004.08.19, 04:03 PM
rkk, that's a really great idea! What sort of range do the RFID tags get? How would you prevent them from triggering from the other side of the track if it comes close enough to the finish line?

rkk
2004.08.19, 04:55 PM
rkk, that's a really great idea! What sort of range do the RFID tags get? How would you prevent them from triggering from the other side of the track if it comes close enough to the finish line?
There in lies my problems. The system I was looking at was only 1/4 watt, they had a 1 watt system in developement (max allowed for 13.56). You only get about a 6" read distance and their longest antenna was only 18" long so either you would have to limit your track width to 18" or add a multiplexer (additional antennas), but again their multiplexer was still in development. With a 6" read distance lane seperation would only need to be minimal.

pchan0
2004.08.19, 05:08 PM
There in lies my problems. The system I was looking at was only 1/4 watt, they had a 1 watt system in developement (max allowed for 13.56). You only get about a 6" read distance and their longest antenna was only 18" long so either you would have to limit your track width to 18" or add a multiplexer (additional antennas), but again their multiplexer was still in development. With a 6" read distance lane seperation would only need to be minimal.

How about a mininium lap count where for example the fastest lap record for the track you need 15 seconds, you can set it at 13 seconds so the lap counter would not count laps under 13 seconds. Thats what I can do to my Team Orion LCS for my 1/10.

rkk
2004.08.19, 05:48 PM
How about a mininium lap count where for example the fastest lap record for the track you need 15 seconds, you can set it at 13 seconds so the lap counter would not count laps under 13 seconds. Thats what I can do to my Team Orion LCS for my 1/10.
Good idea, simple to implement also.

I have been considering this for about a year now, but the company I work for owns the rights to any product I develope so it really hasn't been a priority.

As I see it the bigest problem with the 13.56 rfid system is the antenna.

RCPMini-z
2004.08.19, 08:07 PM
Sounds incredible. I really really need this :) I can't wait. Even though there are no towers needed I think that I may look into building a really cool racing tower model kind of like you see on F1 tracks... I think that would jazz up the RCP quite well.

RCP, don't leave us hanging with this info too long now, you know we are interested. Pass this high interest on to the creaters and let them know there is great demand for more details about the system and its software.

:D :D :D

I won't keep you hanging. I have been invited to do some final testing on the system, the 12th of September. I should have some new information and results then. I have already invited a few people to come down with me to test, so you will see some reviews from people other than myself, shortly. They will most likely not be able to disclose specific details of the system, but will at least be able to tell you how it performed for them.

Due to legal issues I can only post the limited information I have already mentioned. As soon as more can be disclosed, I will let you know. At some point there will be a company website, with the release and details of the system. You should be able to forward your questions to the company themselves, very soon.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.08.19, 10:07 PM
sounds great RCP, bet you are pretty excited for the 12th then... can't wait to hear some more!

Hammer
2004.08.19, 10:53 PM
You should be able to forward your questions to the company themselves, very soon.Thanks, RCPMini-z, this is great! :cool:

Aaronnn
2004.08.20, 07:20 PM
dang....i just bought a transponder before anaheim...90 bucks..eek!

:D transponder for sale...get your fresh hot transponder here...!

TNB
2004.08.21, 12:09 AM
What makes you think that you may not use it here? :D

Draconious
2004.08.21, 01:13 PM
I'd like to see it run on a palm pilot... lol... with a speaker, and maybe auxilery monitor pluged into it for public view... dont want to tote a WHOLE pc around...

BobT
2004.08.21, 08:13 PM
I'd like to see it cost no more than $200 to $300 USD.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.08.21, 08:36 PM
I'd rather it on a pocket pc than a palm... i'm much more of a fan of those... but whatever platform we get the software on origionally, if it is a huge hit then we will see it (the software) on other platforms (Mac, Palm, etc)

Yes, the $200-300 price range would be quite the sweet spot to hit... With that kind of affordability I see a lot of people opening up basement tracks to their surrounding areas.

Can't wait to see how much this will cost... I highly doubt that it will be in that bracket though, I see it a hundred more.

RCPMini-z
2004.09.08, 11:52 AM
We will be doing some final testing on the 18th, which was moved from the 12th. Stay tuned for some test results and possibly more detailed information on the system, shortly.

BobT
2004.09.08, 01:24 PM
I read some where that the cost will be in the $700 range.

Although high for an individual it is well within the range of clubs and commercial tracks.

RCPMini-z
2004.09.08, 01:33 PM
If the system is sold through a distributor, it may cost as much as you posted, but if it is sold direct, the price should be much lower for a complete system and multiple transponders. I think the system will probably be available direct, at first.

Track/Timing system packages should be available soon after public release and would offer a discounted price when purchased together. The system is being developed to suit our modular tile system, for those that wish to buy a complete race set up.

I am truly excited about this new product and am anxious to make public the many options available to the owner of the combination track/lap timing system. Patent applications are the hold up for releasing information, but should be cleared very soon.

arch2b
2004.09.08, 01:49 PM
can't wait :D :cool:

Draconious
2004.09.09, 12:42 AM
well if its HIGH, it better come with a FREE pair of 96 tile tracks lol...

herman
2004.09.09, 03:21 AM
well if its HIGH, it better come with a FREE pair of 96 tile tracks lol...

and free shipping outside the US.... :D

but kidding aside really interested in the system...

rkk
2004.09.09, 12:34 PM
Just fishing for an update on projected price (ballpark) of the system and extra transponders

Twenty-Se7en
2004.09.10, 06:20 AM
well... I can't see having a huge price difference from direct / distributor so if it could be as high as $700 there is no way that it will hit my desired (and highest end of my price bracket) of $400... oh well... will keep looking for updates

flying_corvette
2004.09.16, 08:40 AM
Rcp people,

can you contact em regarding this? i am trying to reach someone now for 3 days and have had no reply on email ...

thx

RCPMini-z
2004.09.16, 01:25 PM
What email address are you using?

Everything that can be disclosed so far is in this thread. I will have more information after this weekends testing.

flying_corvette
2004.09.16, 01:27 PM
my adres you can see in the profile

i woudl liek to buy a rcp track and need to know the cost for shipping to belgium.. i think kyosho is verry expensive and need some sets so i go to the source :)

rkk
2004.09.16, 06:01 PM
What email address are you using?

Everything that can be disclosed so far is in this thread. I will have more information after this weekends testing.

I expect a full report Saturday night ;)

solartech
2004.09.21, 12:33 PM
whats the deal? when can we learn more?

RCPMini-z
2004.09.22, 01:28 AM
Testing on Saturday went very well. Most of the day was spent determining the best location to install the transponder for ultimate pick up readings. Some high speed passes where also performed using modified 1/18 scale cars, to make sure the system picked up the signal at high speeds. Everything went well and from what I was told, the first production kits should be available some time before Christmas.

There were a few drivers from the Mini-Z cup series, who attended Saturdays testing along with PN Racing. Most of the people who attended are members here and should be posting their comments on the system shortly.

terraz
2004.09.23, 06:59 PM
Hea guys havent been on lately but glad to here thier may be a lap counter available soon,
I tried to do a track day in livermore Ca, Had Radio Shack give out 150 flyers. set up for 5 Hours and not one person showed... with a car... I am going to try again in the summer... and see if thier is an intrest.. Thanks to RCP for the great customer service and product. I just spent 350.00 for a lap counter with flags, And it does not work worth a darn to difficult to set up... Live and Learn. Sorry to ramble just wanted to say hea , and tell everyone hello.

Maxfield
2004.09.25, 06:03 AM
Hey terraz,

I'm out in Livermore twice a month (I live in Menlo Park), and would be happy to join you if I knew the time etc, beforehand. Don't forget to post a thread in the MZR forums to promote it. We have some racers in the SF Bay area that are dying for some good tracks around here.

I've got 2 wide L's and a mini-96, and plan to order more track soon with the new counter, soon as it is available.

solartech
2004.09.28, 09:49 AM
How is this lap counter going to be distributed? Will it be sold throgh RCP track dealers like hobby shops and Radio Shack????

CoreAnalog
2004.09.28, 12:33 PM
How is this lap counter going to be distributed? Will it be sold throgh RCP track dealers like hobby shops and Radio Shack????

The system will be sold through distributors and will be made available to all the hobby shops
and retailers to sell. However, we may sell a few units direct for a limited time with special pricing
for the Mini-Zracer.com faithful :-) We will be making an official product announcement shortly.

--Core Analog Eng. Team

arch2b
2004.09.28, 12:38 PM
:eek: :D can't wait :cool:

Maxfield
2004.09.28, 03:12 PM
RCP Mini-Z mentioned that some people at last week's testing might write a review. Anyone willing to step up and tell us about the system?

Twenty-Se7en
2004.09.28, 05:23 PM
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for something in my price range.

solartech
2004.09.28, 07:34 PM
What type of software will come with it?

Fische
2004.09.29, 10:14 AM
I've just caught up on the whole thread. I'm probably buying a track for this winters season. I would like the lap counter, but I saw some posts saying $700. Is that the case or is there an estimate yet as to teh price?

Twenty-Se7en
2004.09.29, 08:51 PM
I've just caught up on the whole thread. I'm probably buying a track for this winters season. I would like the lap counter, but I saw some posts saying $700. Is that the case or is there an estimate yet as to teh price?

I don't think that it will be that price direct from the distributor. There are not official price quotes yet... keep your fingers crossed.

TNB
2004.09.29, 09:37 PM
If it's too expensive, the hairy kids will have to continue the old fashioned way--counting on their paws.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.09.29, 09:46 PM
If it's too expensive, the hairy kids will have to continue the old fashioned way--counting on their paws.

haha.... I can picture the cats all counting and then running out of paws and pulling out an abacus. lol!

I think i'm tired. lol

arch2b
2004.10.01, 10:02 PM
...There were a few drivers from the Mini-Z cup series, who attended Saturdays testing along with PN Racing. Most of the people who attended are members here and should be posting their comments on the system shortly.

what ever happened to this? it's coming up on two weeks since this post

RCPMini-z
2004.10.01, 10:47 PM
I am not sure what agreements the others were bound to regarding confidentiality. They may not be able to disclose more detailed information than what has already been posted. I do know the company that is producing the system is currently working on the first units and racing program for public testing. Arch, I think your g2g's would be a great place to test the system and I think it can be arranged. I will contact you offline.

If you need more information now, it would be best to direct your questions to member CoreAnalog.

arch2b
2004.10.01, 10:59 PM
cool, i understand the situation... thanks for the update :cool:

look forward to hearing from you :)

Aaronnn
2004.10.01, 11:11 PM
marsha, marsha, marsha !

PAULANGELO
2004.10.02, 06:48 AM
marsha, marsha, marsha !
LMAO!! :p :p

46u
2004.11.05, 07:02 PM
I just ordered my track from the shop this week and I hope when they come out I can afford one! If the shop had every thing I needed I would not go anywhere else!
:D

BobT
2004.11.06, 09:39 AM
Anyone have any status on the new lap counter?

Hammer
2004.11.06, 04:47 PM
Anyone have any status on the new lap counter?Just a couple of threads down. http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15417 ;)

BovineD
2005.01.19, 02:31 AM
Hey RCPMini-z I work for a company that is making handheld RFID scanners that might help in bringing down the cost of a lap timer system. Message me if you want more information on the products as I would love to help out if I can.

RCPMini-z
2005.01.19, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the offer. You will need to contact Core, regarding any design issues. They are the manufacture of the new lap timing system. You can reach them at www.corespeedway.com. The complete system with racing program is basically finished. It should be available sometime in February. RCP Tracks and Core together are working on a custom side by side booth at RCX in May. www.rcx.com. You will be able to see the system in action and receive information on both our tracks and the timing features.

gasman1
2005.03.11, 09:22 AM
what ever happened to this? it's coming up on two weeks since this post

Hey Arch2b,

do you have any pictures og the lap timing system. I have yet to seee what it looks like. Have you had a chance to try that setup on your RCP yet.

arch2b
2005.03.11, 09:31 AM
read thru some of the washington gtg thread :p

pictures are held to public release... cor should have some up on his site very soon and if he ok's me posting mine i will.

gasman1
2005.03.11, 10:35 AM
read thru some of the washington gtg thread :p

pictures are held to public release... cor should have some up on his site very soon and if he ok's me posting mine i will.

Thanks,

I check them out.