PDA

View Full Version : Y'all like RCP tracks?

SuperFly
2004.08.28, 02:44 PM
I've been debating whether or not to drop the money on an RCP track. There isn't one around my neck of the woods to see or try out, so I'd be buying solely on pictures and comments from the internet.

Any of you guys that have one, can you tell me the good things and bad things about them? Stregnths and weaknesses. What about Porta-Trax? They have one in a similar price range, but I'm leaning toward the RCP. Any advice/info would be helpful.

TNB
2004.08.28, 03:14 PM
Two words: "Buy One." :D

cam2
2004.08.28, 03:15 PM
they're definitely worth the money it'll even make your mini-z addiction worse! as far as strengths go you won't screw up your car hitting a wall, great traction with soft rubber tires, you can use both sides of the tiles (one side has more traction than the other), you can add on to them and they look cool! as far as weaknesses go all i can think of is they're big so you'll need alot of room. hope this helps in making your decision. check out the link to see my wide L. now it looks more like a big U.

http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/album332/enzo_052

Twenty-Se7en
2004.08.28, 03:19 PM
They are amazing... there is a reason they use them in the Kyosho cup. Porta-Trax does not complete they have tracks that use like the walmart type mats... not the same at all i'm afraid. RCP tracks are the absolute way to go.

TNB
2004.08.28, 03:36 PM
as far as weaknesses go all i can think of is they're big so you'll need alot of room.
However, the RCP Track comes apart for easy storage. Myself, I store my Mini-Tile track inside in sections and then set it up outside in the driveway. Now with the temps dipping below 100F every day, I may be spending more time on the Mini-Tile than the 4L. Perhaps, more time at the outdoor dirt track too.

Ken Mifune
2004.08.28, 04:30 PM
Two words: "They're the Best!" ;)
Just make sure you have enough set up space and storage space.

IMO, The Mini-Tile track is good for up to three maybe four cars depending on driver skill. I would start with that, and then buy the expansion set if you have enough room.

TNB
2004.08.28, 04:38 PM
Ken,

How many words is that again? :D

byebye
2004.08.28, 05:25 PM
I've been debating whether or not to drop the money on an RCP track. There isn't one around my neck of the woods to see or try out, so I'd be buying solely on pictures and comments from the internet.

Any of you guys that have one, can you tell me the good things and bad things about them? Stregnths and weaknesses. What about Porta-Trax? They have one in a similar price range, but I'm leaning toward the RCP. Any advice/info would be helpful.
If you haven't seen the video check my sig ;)
That's arch2b's rcp and it was worth the trip to drive on. Top quality.

Ken Mifune
2004.08.28, 05:28 PM
Need a track?
Two words: "R-C-P" ;)

arch2b
2004.08.28, 05:38 PM
If you haven't seen the video check my sig ;)
That's arch2b's rcp and it was worth the trip to drive on. Top quality.
love your sig ;)

byebye
2004.08.28, 07:51 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you. It's the rcp/arch2b/washington gtg video; best rcp video of 2004. At least I think so.....

arch2b
2004.08.28, 08:04 PM
btw, you could change the url link to
http://mini-zracer.com/albums/byebye/miniz_gtg_0001.wmv
which is the direct link to the video and not the album as a whole, just an option...

Draconious
2004.08.28, 09:01 PM
I am the type that dwells on the negatives of things, maybe cuz I always try to improve things ... but the only things I dont like about RCP tracks, are the fact that it attracts pet hair.. lol ... and I wish it was cheaper so I could afford 3 or 4 of the 96 tile sets lol... thats about it. I DO have some of the RCP tiles, and I DO like them... just dont have enough to make an actual track out of them... soon as I get a job im buying some.... lol

TNB
2004.08.28, 09:05 PM
but the only things I dont like about RCP tracks, are the fact that it attracts pet hair.. lol
In this house the RCP Track doesn't just attract pet hair; it attracts two Z attack cats. The vacuum does a good job. The Mini-Zs help too. :)

Twenty-Se7en
2004.08.28, 10:41 PM
they do attract pet hair but i've raced on carpet tracks before and it is next to impossible to keep those suckers clean... the RCP is quite a bit easier...

Drac, I thought you were all about building your own... didn't you recently get some mats? Thought that was working well for you.

SuperFly
2004.08.28, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback! A couple people mentioned the Mini Tile 96, and I had been thinking Wide L. They're the same price, so why go Mini Tile?

TNB
2004.08.28, 10:53 PM
More configurations in less space.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.08.28, 11:04 PM
smaller lanes mean that you can't race as many cars but when you do race those few cars it takes quite a bit more skill... the mini-96 gives you a much nicer track layout for the money cause when you think about it how many people are satisfied with just one wideL for more than a few days... the mini96 is quite a bit more complex

SuperFly
2004.08.28, 11:15 PM
Okay, I understand. Well, I have a huge area to race in, and I'm used to racing on a layout that is basically a large, assymetrical oval with a slight chicane on the back stretch. Currently we race on a floor around paint cans, so we're kinda used to really wide lanes and a fairly simple layout. Also, we may end up with 2 Wide Ls to combine, so we'd have the ability to change it up. Thanks again for the feedback, it's really helpful.

TNB
2004.08.28, 11:23 PM
If you are going to go wide only, I'd purchase at least three tracks. You may also want to check out the different track layouts at RCP Tracks.

http://www.rcptracks.com

Draconious
2004.08.29, 12:20 AM
RCP tiles are better than the foam tiles... at least better then the cheapy 50 cent tiles I got... any one want 260 12" tiles? lol... i would use them but hte puzzle pattern on them was very sloppy, and they were too thin... reason the RCP is way better... very nice and tight fit, and they are thick enough to support them self.. on strange surfaces, or even suspended like a bridge in some cases...

Twenty-Se7en
2004.08.29, 12:38 AM
sorry to hear about the tiles drac...

RCP tracks are great... but damn they are pricy.

pHREDD
2004.08.29, 01:38 AM
sorry to hear about the tiles drac...

RCP tracks are great... but damn they are pricy.

I look at it like this...I have paid around $150 for several Z cars and the mini tile 96 is only $199 so for just a little more than a car you can have a track to race on. RCP is the only way to go. Considering it only cost a little more than a mini-z, I think its a fair price to pay.

TNB
2004.08.29, 01:46 AM
Tell the truth pHREDD. One track is probably cheaper than a Mini-Z by the time you add all the hop-ups and the track will probably help save some of those option parts too. :)

Twenty-Se7en
2004.08.29, 02:00 AM
well compared to the car it is cheap... but when you have never owned a track then you don't look at it like an RCP you look at it like "oh, so I can race on something that looks like a track instead of my bedroom carpet, ok" but in reality when you have an RCP it changes your whole hobby from being fun to friggin amazing.

TNB
2004.08.29, 02:29 AM
I remember my first Mini-Z--I kept thinking do I want to spend that kind of money on such a little car, but that F1 McLaren Mercedes looked so cute. It was the only Mini-Z in the LHS and I purchased it just before the 2003 Mini-Z-Cup. I then drove it stock at the LCQ for the 2003 Mini-Z-Cup. Why? I didn't know anything about Mini-Zs, the LHS didn't know anything, and I had never heard of this website. Heck, I hadnít even been involved in RC that long. At the race, I tried to stay out of everyone's way because my little F1 was completely "STOCK" and I was amazed at some of the driving. Then one guy loaned me some tires. Thanks Mike (he took 3rd this year in the MR-01 Open & F1 Open). I was like wow, this car can handle better and I doubled my laps. Granted they weren't that many laps, but each time I ran I got a little better and it was the new introduction of the RCP Track. Needless to say, I was at the bottom of the heap in 2003 but I had fun and learned a lot. The racers were also nice to this know-nothing Mini-Zer. Then one of the racers who placed in 2003 and 2004 asked me to race again. Thanks Aaronn. Well that was 20 some RTR Mini-Zs ago and the learning curve has been steep. In turn, I try to pass on what knowledge I have accumulated despite my driving skills. If I could start over--One 1/5th scale FG F1 and the rest Mini-Zs. The same radio for both. :D

pHREDD
2004.08.29, 08:13 AM
Tell the truth pHREDD. One track is probably cheaper than a Mini-Z by the time you add all the hop-ups and the track will probably help save some of those option parts too. :)

Your right....THe track is cheaper after the hops ups....or you could say the track is an expensive hop up :D :D Its the best option I have ever got for my Z

TNB
2004.08.29, 12:33 PM
Expensive hop-up--I like that--"Think of it as another option part for the Mini-Z." :D

Twenty-Se7en
2004.08.29, 01:03 PM
The mini-z's don't make the track, the track make the mini-z.

:D

SuperFly
2004.09.03, 01:58 AM
Alright, I hope you guys are right. We pulled the trigger and have two Wide-L tracks on the way. I can't wait!

Twenty-Se7en
2004.09.03, 02:53 AM
Alright, I hope you guys are right. We pulled the trigger and have two Wide-L tracks on the way. I can't wait!

congradulations... best mini-z investment you will make.
You will enjoy it, guaranteed!

DAMZer
2004.09.03, 08:09 AM
Not having the luxury of space made the Mini 96 just right, fits in my garage with space for pits and more stored hobby stuff (trains, planes and 1/10 offroad). Raced on the wide lane tracks and for many cars it is the real deal, but for a couple of cars the MIni 96 is ideal and it REALLY keeps you tight and aware of the track sides. We tried the Sam's Club tiles and it is what it is, excercise flooring.

The RCP tracks are the BEST Mini-Z investment (hop-up) you can buy for simple pure enjoyment of the hobby!!