PDA

View Full Version : The lowdown on the Monster LEGO tires.

Bad Company
2004.08.29, 03:17 PM
I finally tracked down the tires I've been trying to get some info on from MINI-C's MMT. Mine came from kit# 8384, but I believe kit# 8383 and 8385 are the same as well. The kits were $9.99 at TRU.
http://www.lego.com/eng/racers/products.asp?id=8384

They stretch on pretty fit and snug, but I had to install a foam insert to get the tire to flatten out evenly across the width of the wheel. The LEGO tire has a narrow opening on the outside and wider open on the inside which made to tire bulge more on the small opening side until I installed the foam insert.

These two different size openings also give a different appearance to each side when installed on the wheel, which you can choose to have whichever showing on the outside of the wheels as you will see in the pics.

I have not yet tested these, but will do so and let ya know how they perform.

arch2b
2004.08.29, 03:26 PM
for 10 bucks it's worth it to test them :D they look like they would be nice for outdoors

Bad Company
2004.08.29, 03:33 PM
I figured that the low profile would help with handling for track racing, but at the cost of top speed due to smaller diameter. I'll try and get these mounted on a racing body this evening, maybe even lower the body as well.

Bad Company
2004.08.29, 05:48 PM
I installed the tires on my "test race track truck" which I lowered the body on to go with the smaller tires. The only suspension clearance issues I have are the wheelie bar and the servo case hitting on the body, but a little dremel work to cut out some notches will clear that up. The tires have ample clearance in the fenders.

I ran it for a little bit on the kitchen floor and in the driveway. I stuck a 12t pinion to compensate for the smaller diameter tires. The tires seem to stick really well and the tires stayed on the wheels nicely. I did notice it was a lot easier to pop wheelies on carpet. ;) I was able to take turns at near full speed without any flipping on the kitchen floor, but it did still try to turn over on the driveway, but that was expected with the grip the tires have and the driveway surface combined with the speed of 12t pinion.

The real test will be at the next GTG on the RCP track and with some jumping.

arch2b
2004.08.29, 06:32 PM
it should be mean on the track but it will take a pounding on the jump :p that setup looks very cool :cool:

Twenty-Se7en
2004.08.29, 06:41 PM
lots of great info, thanks

Bad Company
2004.08.29, 06:42 PM
I have hopefully remedied the jumping problem. I now have full suspension travel now that I cut out the front and rear of the body. The only thing that's gonna hurt me I believe is the hard tires on the landing as there is not as much "cushion" as in normal tires, but I think I will make that back up and then some with the lower CG in corners, etc.

Dominick Shaunt
2004.08.30, 09:24 AM
Thanks For posting this definately going to buy a set for my MZM :) hope you don't mind me copying a little ... I should FINALLY get my NML motor this week and i'll see how they handle with that motor and 12T pinion

Bad Company
2004.08.30, 10:50 AM
Thanks For posting this definately going to buy a set for my MZM :) hope you don't mind me copying a little ... I should FINALLY get my NML motor this week and i'll see how they handle with that motor and 12T pinion
I don't mind at all, after all, that's what I did. ;)

arch2b
2004.08.30, 10:58 AM
we will have to setup the ramp to be farther down a straight and a tad lower next time :p

Bad Company
2004.08.30, 11:02 AM
Maybe even some "rolling hills" too. ;)

arch2b
2004.08.30, 11:49 AM
great idea! we could use the hills for overlands as well.

Maximo
2004.08.30, 03:33 PM
I have hopefully remedied the jumping problem. I now have full suspension travel now that I cut out the front and rear of the body. The only thing that's gonna hurt me I believe is the hard tires on the landing as there is not as much "cushion" as in normal tires, but I think I will make that back up and then some with the lower CG in corners, etc.

Nice find with the tires.. Very Kool!!
Do you run any foam inserts in the rims??

As for the jumping problem, the rear on the monster truck seems to be too light in relationship to the front.
All of the Japanese drivers are mounting the alloy rear shock bar to balance out the truck. Improves landing and handling speeds.

Peace :)

Bad Company
2004.08.30, 03:38 PM
Credit goes to MINI-C for he was the first to post this find, I simply went out and found them and posted additional info. ;)

You don't HAVE TO put the foam inserts in, but it works out better if you do. Without them, the tires has sorta a bulge on the side that has the smaller opening. Sticking the inserts in helps flatten out the tire.

As for the jumping, I've had good success with my alloy chassis. I assume this is because there is more alloy in the rear than the front with the addition of the wheelie bar, gear cover, & motor heat sink as opposed to the smaller front brush guard, knuckles, & steering plate. Wether that's enough of a difference to matter, I don't know. In all actuality though, I'm basically the same ratio as a stock all plastic chassis I guess.