PDA

View Full Version : Cooling fets using Peltier effect ???

Maximo
2004.08.30, 10:49 PM
This maybe a little overkill but :

Is it possible to lower mosfet chip heat with a heat sink and a
PELTIER JUNCTION device on the top of the chips.
(across both chips)

Using a single 3 volt watch battery and this Peltier junction with heat sink
can prove to be the ticket to reducing heat and improving chip performance...

Any of you electronic gurus think this might work well???

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=450&item=PJT-2&type=store

What do you think???

Ken Mifune
2004.08.31, 12:34 AM
Good thinking.

Back in '88 we were utilizing identical technology in helmet design; car interiors; extreme weather apparel...
Some items were semi-solar powered.

The unit we spec'd out was reversible, so just by flipping a switch or flopping the plug would make it heat or cool.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.08.31, 12:47 AM
Good thinking.

Back in '88 we were utilizing identical technology in helmet design; car interiors; extreme weather apparel...
Some items were semi-solar powered.

The unit we spec'd out was reversible, so just by flipping a switch or flopping the plug would make it heat or cool.

that's pretty nifty

gulfclk
2004.08.31, 07:18 AM
I've been experimenting with this technologie to make portable air conditionings for race cars. The unit is for sale now and works fine ... but draws a lot of current ... about 18 Amps.

On a fet, you would need a smaller chip, but still, this would be consuming lots of power ... so, in theory, it WILL work, in practice ... too much power consumption.

However, I made a battery charger box with this Peltier chip. It blows cold air over the batteries while charging. This allows to use higher charge currents. I also made a car stand with a cold air blower ... this blows cold air on the motor while you are working on the car. Cold motor means ..... YES, you got it!