PDA

View Full Version : Gear ratio / pinion size

Kinesthesia
2001.11.16, 10:08 PM
Although I seem to have lost the pinion set that came with the car... I'm wondering if I should increase my pinion now that I have an X-speed. I'm using the one that came on the car, I think it's a 6.

The lower the number, the greater the acceleration and the lower the top end, right ? Well, when I run on a track, it's a really tight track (feel free to peep the Monster Hobbies track thread).

Also... does anyone know how the Xspeed compares to the stock motor? Namely, I've seen other aftermarket motors usually divided into "high-torque" and "high-speed"... Does the Xspeed have more torque than speed, or vice versa ?

mini-z
2001.11.16, 10:32 PM
K: correct about the gears; let me know if you need replacements, I can get them for you. Right now I'm running the X-Speed and the Eagle Turbo, and I'm using an 8T pinion. Frankly it's insanely fast for the track I run on. I'm thinking of switching down to 6 or 7T. From the pictures I would say you'd probably be okay with the 6T, but the only way to know for sure is to try each pinion and see which works for you!

zath
2001.11.17, 11:16 AM
i may be wrong but i beleve the x-speed is more speed then torq, but still more of both than the stock motor