PDA

View Full Version : New track surface?

Chickster25
2004.09.13, 08:11 AM
Hi all,

Im in the process of boardnig up my rather large loft to create a mini-z track up there with lots of models and bits to make it look very realistic. I have loads of Mini-z but never raced them before as never had the room, so am a bit unsure what surface I should use.

As funs are limited I cant really afford anything flash like a RCP track. I was wondering whether I would get better races racnig on the bare wood (chipboard/MDF flooring that has been painted) or to use thin carpet tiles. Im thinking the wood would be nice and smooth so cars might drift but could be too slippery whereas the carpet may give too much grip so the cars are too fast for a narrow track with no spinning? Or if not, what other surface could I use as I will have to cut it around all the roof supports?

Your advice is appreciated.

NOMOTORLIMIT
2004.09.13, 09:26 AM
Tar paper if indoors.

flying_corvette
2004.09.13, 02:06 PM
hello people, i am from belgium and workin g on the same project, but i don't know what tar paper is.. can anyone tell me? is this the stuff they put on the roof ?

pHREDD
2004.09.13, 02:12 PM
hello people, i am from belgium and workin g on the same project, but i don't know what tar paper is.. can anyone tell me? is this the stuff they put on the roof ?

thats correct ;)

flying_corvette
2004.09.13, 02:22 PM
and is this the best solution? i would like to build a nascar race track .. your opinion ?
doe sanyon ehave done this before?

Twenty-Se7en
2004.09.14, 12:09 AM
if you are not going RCP, which would cost quite a bit if you are running in a large area, then TAR paper (the roofing material) would do very well for an indoor track. Plenty of grip.

Chickster25
2004.09.14, 03:51 AM
Would tar paper go soft or tear easily though if people had to walk over the track first to get to the control area? Im just thinking of my confined space in the loft?

rkk
2004.09.16, 07:09 PM
I used to run on the polished convrete floor in the basement. By it self it is way too slick, but you can spray/mist it lightly with sugar water (or soda) and adjust traction this was. When you are done it just mops up. We have used this outdoor for lager scale too.

BobT
2004.09.23, 01:08 PM
Just paint your MDF board with a hi-traction paint. Then paint the infield with gloss green. Bingo you have a track. Use garden hose for barriers.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.09.23, 01:17 PM
Just paint your MDF board with a hi-traction paint. Then paint the infield with gloss green. Bingo you have a track. Use garden hose for barriers.

although that would make a dandy track the fact that he wants a realistic looking track would stop him from doing this most likely. Using modelers accessories and such wouldn't look that classy with a garden hose for track rails.

Have you looked into RCP? They make an excellent modular track. I've heard recently that they can sell the surface without the rails as well and that is better than Oztite. If you can't go that steep in price then you should check out the high-density foam mats. If that is still out of your price range i'll go back and suggest the tap paper again. And I am not quite sure if it will rip with constant stepping traffic. Goodluck!

BobT
2004.09.23, 01:31 PM
As he said "funds are limited" I was looking for the low-buck approach.

Another alternative that is much more attractive is plastic drywall bead.

I am attaching two pics that illustrate my sugestions. As you can see both are quite pleasing to the eye.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.09.23, 01:35 PM
Wow, that second track looks great.

Do you happen to know all the materials used to make that track? Any more pictures of that track? Is it at a hobby shop?

I think that it looks great and if it is in the Low-Dough end of things that is probably exactly what this person is looking for.

Aaronnn
2004.09.23, 03:21 PM
i would never use tar paper again...it gets everything gum'ed up and if you walk on it, then your carpet...you can see where i've been, ya know what i mean......
anyway there was a track up in pocatello idaho at a hobbie store that used a paint with sandy rock stuff in it, it was kinda like sandpaper...try that...much cleaner...

audisten
2004.09.23, 06:16 PM
Hey...

We have just painted our track with a regular cheap dull wallpaint, and it turned out to give excelent grip!!

BobT
2004.09.23, 07:12 PM
Twenty7even,

It is painted plywood. The guardrails are plastic drywall bead and the grass is model railroad grass. I got the pic off the internet. Can't remember where the track is located.

Here is a little closer look.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.09.24, 12:15 AM
Twenty7even,

It is painted plywood. The guardrails are plastic drywall bead and the grass is model railroad grass. I got the pic off the internet. Can't remember where the track is located.

Here is a little closer look.

Well, i'm dually impressed by that track. Very professional, very nice! :cool:

Chickster25
2004.09.24, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the advice, I must say Im very impressed with the arialtrack from Bob-T, but the others look good too. I wonder if I could fit the whole thing into my loft !! hehe

I thought my new loft space was quite big but after seenig the size of some of those layouts I might be building a monaco type track :)

Ninja
2004.09.25, 12:39 AM
ok here goes, Home Depot sells this stuff. It is foam underlayment that goes underneath hardwood floors to keep the hardwood from creaking. it comes in rolls 4' x 25' for $25 a roll. It has excellent traction with my mini-z (then again, so does linoleum :rolleyes: ) but either way it can make a pretty large track very cheap. what i plan on doing is getting another roll of this stuff, some 3/4" decking, and some PVC pipe. I want to make the track portable in a pick-up truck, so it will have to be made in sections. i'm thinking 3 sheets of wood should be enough, making the track a rectangle of 12' x 8'. with only 2' lane widths i think i can make a very nice challenging track. I will work on some drawings of this track. and maybe within a few months it can become a reality. :rolleyes: :D I plan on using spray adhesive to glue the foam underlayment down to the wood decking, and maybe something besides PVC pipe for the rails. we will just have to see :cool: