PDA

View Full Version : Which tires offer the best traction on RCP tracks?

GX9901
2004.10.16, 03:35 PM
I'm looking for a little more grip on the rough side of the RCP track. My MR-02s (Enzo & NSX) seem a little slippery, especially the Enzo, on the RCP track's rough side. Which tire should I try to gain a little more grip? Do foam tires work well on the RCP track?
Thanks.

arch2b
2004.10.16, 03:39 PM
gpm 8 deg tires work very well. aaron (sp?) preferrs the type a and i don't recall which type byebye liked, but they are an improvment even over 10-20 deg tires.

the shop has ordered a large quantity of these but they do not know when the order will be fulfilled as of yet. mini-z also said he has 8 deg Mini-ZRacer brand slicks. they might not be listed so you can email him, shop@.... to give them a try. i have not tried any foams other than maximo's faom/rubber f1 tires which perform very well.

Aaronnn
2004.10.16, 05:21 PM
dont forget to buy two-sided tape from pn for 8deg tires.
and yes i like type"A" but they wear the fastest. try type"C" the are good allaround...

GX9901
2004.10.28, 04:38 PM
I ended up getting some 20 degree tires for Iwavers from Toy East. Now my 2 MR-02s, equipped with these wheels front and back, grip the RCP track like fiends. On turns now, if I hold the steering wheel a little bit too long they turn right into the side-rail. This is basically what I was looking for so I'm happy with the 20 degree tires on the RCP track.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.10.28, 05:20 PM
they are a good price too!

should try them myself.

2EZ
2004.10.29, 10:34 AM
I found that it depends on the car most all my 01's I use 10ens on the rear and scuffed stock 40? 50? on the front going softer if there is not enough stearing. 02 cars are different a body change can require a compound change the 350Z is great on 20's both ends while I run hard fronts and 8s or 10s on the rear of the Enzo the 350 cah be made very balanced with slight overstear. the enzo will have some front end push but feels better to me this way. the sky line on the same 02 car and tire setup (350z) will be a tad loose but I am able to drive it faster. I have tryed to losen the 350Z the same way and have not found the right set up as softer rears make the overstear to much and harder make it to lose in the rear. change the shell to the skyline and the same tires produce just enough stearing and a small amount of loseness in the rear that is easier to control. a lot depends on what works for you. just rember trying to get the feel you like and can drive fast takes trying different things. also rember that making a front tire change might cause differances at both ends. try things. only thing is it means a box full of different tires!!! also whatch what the guys you race with do. in 2003 at the nationals both Crotty and Rardon made me faster with tips about their setups.

2EZ

Twenty-Se7en
2004.10.29, 01:17 PM
The stock tires are 50s.

The tire setup on my MR-01s vs. my MR-02 are totally different but I tend to use the same tire setup for all my 02s... usually a 30 up front and a 20 in back... bought them for a good price and will continue to use them till they are all gone.. but i'm very interested in using these 8* that everyone talks about, I don't know how you dont get traction roll... If I get some time this weekend I think that i'll make a quick vid on my brothers cam showing my Enzo traction rolling...

ExtraPickles
2004.10.29, 01:26 PM
On my Enzos I'm running GPM 8 degree all around for RCP and carpet type tracks. Experimenting more this morning this seems to work well with stockish type motors that run in the 18-25 range on a Tamiya dyno. For motors running in the 35-50 km/h range the 8's still give the best steering on the front but the rear spins out less easily with harder 20 or 30 degree tires.

-pickles

Twenty-Se7en
2004.10.29, 01:40 PM
On my Enzos I'm running GPM 8 degree all around for RCP and carpet type tracks. Experimenting more this morning this seems to work well with stockish type motors that run in the 18-25 range on a Tamiya dyno. For motors running in the 35-50 km/h range the 8's still give the best steering on the front but the rear spins out less easily with harder 20 or 30 degree tires.

-pickles
I've always gone with the general rule to run a softer tire in the rear. So, that is how I would explain you spinning out more with the 8s all around vs. the 20s-30s. Have you tried the 8s in the rear with a 20 in front? If so, how did that fare?

wcrotty
2004.10.29, 10:00 PM
My best setup for the enzo:

rear tires: New gpm 8 deg V groove
h plate: kyosho hard
oil shock: green spring

front tire: New gpm 25 V groove
red springs

oh ya.....Blue and black paint on the body :)

At the big races i would run the tires once and then put a new set on.

My best setup for the Mr01:

body: vette
rear tires: one run gpm 8 deg V groove
rear rims: enzo super wide rims
h plate: kyosho hard
roleshock: yellow springs
center shock: green spring

front rims: wide rims with no offset
front tires: wide scuffed kyosho 30s
steering block: 3 deg
front springs: yellow

ExtraPickles
2004.10.29, 10:16 PM
Have you tried the 8s in the rear with a 20 in front? If so, how did that fare?
When I switch to anything harder than 8's on the front they just doesn't turn the same. I've tried about every combo of 8-10-20-30 both treaded and slick on front and rear. Would be fine if 8 degree fronts weren't so hard to find right now.

-pickles

Twenty-Se7en
2004.10.30, 12:10 AM
Mini-Z said that he has 8* MZR brand slicks in stock, just not on the site... if you email the shop they can hook you up ;)

herman
2004.10.30, 07:20 AM
My best setup for the Mr01:
front rims: wide rims with no offset
front tires: wide scuffed kyosho 30s
steering block: 3 deg
front springs: yellow

master crotty... long time... whatcha been up to?

hmm... wide front rims with 3 deg camber... i'm thinking tons of steering... tried that once... takes a while to get used to... do you use that set up with the stabilizer? or do you coil over the springs and put them directly on the knuckle?

thanks for any reply...

wcrotty
2004.10.30, 07:53 PM
Hi herman,

How are you doing? I've been just working and racing.

Yep i run the stabilizer. I never have liked running the mr01 without it.
It does have a bunch of steering with the wide rims.

herman
2004.11.02, 02:24 AM
well i've been cool...

mostly been involved in rotary work since i'm the president of the club in our area (the rotary club of makati paseo de roxas - www.rcmpaseo.org) ... see www.rotary.org for more info on rotary... wish i had more free time... wish there were a track here... wish i could race (but i guess we need a track first right?)... :( :confused:

thanks...

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.02, 09:07 AM
well i've been cool...

mostly been involved in rotary work since i'm the president of the club in our area (the rotary club of makati paseo de roxas - www.rcmpaseo.org) ... see www.rotary.org for more info on rotary... wish i had more free time... wish there were a track here... wish i could race (but i guess we need a track first right?)... :( :confused:

thanks...
That's good work Herman, very kind of you. :)

Too bad that you aren't close to a track, that was my situation so at first I built my own and then built another and then got an RCP and have been trying to build a fan base here for a while.