PDA

View Full Version : Lakeshore Concepts track ???

Pages : [1] 2

Zrc
2004.10.27, 07:01 AM
Looking into getting a track for our club. I've seen plenty of feedback about the RCP system but does anybody have any experience with Lakeshore Concepts?? They are selling quite well on Ebay and the specs don't look bad. www.lakeshorerc.com.

Zrc
2004.10.27, 05:24 PM
No info on this company ???

Breeze
2004.10.27, 06:02 PM
The lane widths of this track is listed as 2 ft. It has been my expierience for serious racing, you need at least 2.5 ft. The extra 6 in. makes a big difference. These cars can go pretty fast and beginners need the extra room. We have 4 ft lane widths @ our track in NC. If you want to go with a foam mat type of track- get the RCP.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.10.27, 08:42 PM
Looking at those tracks it looks like the extremely slick side of those rubber foam mats from walmart and pepboys... not a good racing surface. Also, with that 2ft radius you will have problems racing more than 4 cars at once... these races are pretty damn competitive.

DogbreathRacing
2004.10.27, 08:56 PM
Looking at those tracks it looks like the extremely slick side of those rubber foam mats from walmart and pepboys... not a good racing surface. Also, with that 2ft radius you will have problems racing more than 4 cars at once...

It does look like the same foam mats as Walmart and using the slick side too, but what do you mean not a good racing surface? We use the Walmart mats and think that surface is very very good, of course you do have to find the right tire combo, but you have to do that with any track surface! Once you find it the foam is very hooked up for traction. And the Walmart mats are available at a fraction of the cost of any of the commecially available tracks.

The lane widths of this track is listed as 2 ft. It has been my expierience for serious racing, you need at least 2.5 ft. The extra 6 in. makes a big difference. These cars can go pretty fast and beginners need the extra room. We have 4 ft lane widths @ our track in NC

We run some 2ft lanes and 4ft lanes combined, the 2ft is tight with several cars, the 4ft is almost too wide but we sometimes put coner dots down to restrict some of that width. And the dots can also add some turns and twists you don't get get with standard lane layouts.

All I know for sure is that Lakeshores Basic Starter track costs $90.00 plus $20.00 shipping and you can pick up more foam mats than come in that set at Walmart for about $36.00.............so, do you want fancy corners and colored side barriers? Or do you want more track and more money (more money=more extra parts, maybe even a new car!) left in your pocket?

Twenty-Se7en
2004.10.27, 09:13 PM
the slick side of the walmart mats are horrilbe, the soft side is great... well, not compared to an RCP but you know what you mean... just mean that the textured sides of those mats are very slippery...

DogbreathRacing
2004.10.28, 09:53 AM
Yeah, thats what I meant, we run the slick textured side DOWN, and run on the soft smooth side (sorry I don't usually refer to something as both slick and textured at the same time) I meant that the soft side was slick as in flat and without texture.

anyway...we really like the Walmat mats, we have never run on RCP and probably never will so we can't compare to those, but compared to bare concrete or wood floors, linoleum, and short carpet the foam anti-fatigue mats (smooth side UP) is an excellent choice and very affordable. Our track now consists of 22 2ft tiles with 12-18 more being added this weekend. After several hours of testing we have found an "Optimal" track condition and tire combo that works very well with all 6 cars that run on this track.

Sometimes we run on-road and others we run oval, either way it's a blast!

Calgary_Racer
2004.10.28, 12:08 PM
Those Lakeshore tracks look really nice, in my opinion, much nicer than the RCP with all its "only square turns". Of course the RCP are the "Official" tracks but I think that a little of competition is always welcome.

By the way, I still do not understand that "need for grip". I have run on some surfaces that have so much grip that you can go almost at full throttle all the time. This means that instead of having to be skillful with both throttle and steering wheel (as with “real cars” ) you are pretty much limited to use only one hand (the steering one). I find much more challenging, and again real, tracks with a limited amount of grip.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.10.28, 12:50 PM
The lakeshore tracks after taking a good look at them are pretty easy to make yourself.

They took the mats that you can buy at walmart and a million other locations and cut them for the turns and such. The areas on the outside of the track they have cut off and used that for the guard rail. You can see this in one of their close up shots. They took the grid-lock and cut it off, faced the grid part downward and painted the upper part either yellow or red. Very interesting... I actually like how innovative that is.

For those of you familiar with the mats look closely at this picture to see what I mean, very nice. http://www.lakeshorerc.com/images/carsclose400x188.jpg

The interest in a grip surface is for easier driving in my opinion... these little cars can go quite fast and you really don't want to go 30kmh into a barrier. But, too grippy is a problem too... remember that RCP has two sides, one that is grippy and one that is less so.

TNB
2004.10.28, 02:11 PM
Looking into getting a track for our club. I've seen plenty of feedback about the RCP system but does anybody have any experience with Lakeshore Concepts?? They are selling quite well on Ebay and the specs don't look bad. www.lakeshorerc.com.
What is "quite well"? I just checked ebay and saw "three" total sales. One bidder on another track has zero purchases. I also noticed that you only own one stock Mini-Z or at least that is what is listed on your profile. If you ever decide to do something with it, i.e. hop it up, you would be better off considering a larger track since the quick glance I took at the Lakeshore website makes that track appear pretty darn small to run Mini-Zs. After all, have you seen the photos of my tracks? Even my Mini-Tile looks larger and I wouldn't ever consider that a club track!

Those Lakeshore tracks look really nice, in my opinion, much nicer than the RCP with all its "only square turns". Of course the RCP are the "Official" tracks but I think that a little of competition is always welcome.

By the way, I still do not understand that "need for grip". I have run on some surfaces that have so much grip that you can go almost at full throttle all the time. This means that instead of having to be skillful with both throttle and steering wheel (as with “real cars” ) you are pretty much limited to use only one hand (the steering one). I find much more challenging, and again real, tracks with a limited amount of grip.
What surfaces are you running on? Is it on a track or not? I have yet to ever run on any track where I could go full throttle other than in a full-size car on a 1/4 mile straight. Oh, I take that back. I let my batteries die so much one time that I could drive around a track full throttle. Regarding grip, it's easier to set-up a car to match a track and one's handling preference to a track that has grip than it is to run on a track with no grip at all. Ever run on ice? Ever ski on ice without metal edges? Ever drive a real car on ice? How much grip did you have on ice?

I don't know about anyone else, but it makes me wonder why "new" members also pop up on this forum and than start asking about non-Mini-Z products and other tracks besides RCP Tracks. To me, it makes me wonder if people are just promoting their products here under disguise of asking questions of other members in an attempt to promote their own products.

TNB
2004.10.28, 02:55 PM
After going back and looking at the track a little closer, the barrier rails remind me of something off of a slot car track. Does anyone know how they are fastened? I was thinking that if the rails snap in place like on some of the slot car tracks, does that also mean they'll pop off just like a slot car track. If they are glued on, I then wonder how much of an impact they can sustain since they are not very thick.

The lanes also don't look like they can be expanded, which may limit the track not only in configuration but to the type of cars and number of cars. In other words, an RCP Track lane width can be expanded for 1/18th scale cars or even larger depending on the number of blanks inserted.

Myself, RCP Tracks gets a thumbs up. This track, well...

arch2b
2004.10.28, 03:09 PM
it looks like edge strips turned up on edge. byebye did this with his fatigue mats. you ahve to glue the peices together to keep them from pulling apart.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.10.28, 04:14 PM
I think that asking questions about a new track on this forum is a dumb idea... I love this forum but some of you are the most bias and ignorant mother f...s i've ever met... i'm not talking about anyone who posted here by the way... it's just in the past if something isn't what they are use to then they shoot it down... how about a little pro and con thing before you blast a product... RCP wouldn't be anywhere near what they are now if they wouldn't have gotten support, there wouldn't be lane expansion or any of that... and if I remember, even RCP got flammed by some of the heavy hitters here on the site...

give things a chance before you tear them to shreds... small companies don't need reasons from biased people to kill their potential sales as well.

RCPMini-z
2004.10.28, 04:17 PM
QUOTE=Calgary_Racer]Those Lakeshore tracks look really nice, in my opinion, much nicer than the RCP with all its "only square turns". Of course the RCP are the "Official" tracks but I think that a little of competition is always welcome.

By the way, I still do not understand that "need for grip". I have run on some surfaces that have so much grip that you can go almost at full throttle all the time. This means that instead of having to be skillful with both throttle and steering wheel (as with “real cars” ) you are pretty much limited to use only one hand (the steering one). I find much more challenging, and again real, tracks with a limited amount of grip.[/QUOTE]

OK, are you saying what I think your saying. "I don't understand the need for grip!" I know you are new to this forum, but have you read any of the other thousands of posts by members about this very topic. Almost every post at this forum talks about handling of the Mini-Z's in some form or another. Just because someone says their track has great grip, does not mean you can run full throttle around the track, only having to turn left or right when needed. What surface did you run on that displayed these characteristics? I would be interested in testing it myself.

I have personally tested the EVA foam tiles found at thousands of home stores across the US. I was not impressed by them at all. The textured side was absolutely awful and the smooth side, did offer some grip characteristics, only when foams where introduced. The smooth side also had to be wiped down constantly in order to retain its grip characteristics. If this is the sort of track surface you are looking for, I would recommend going to your local home store and picking up some of these tiles. They are very cheap and you can build your own track for half the cost of other pre-manufactured tracks using these identical tiles.

If you want others opinions, this topic has already been discused many times on previous threads. You can do a search and find plenty of reading material on the home store textured tiles.

When you are ready to upgrade your home store EVA foam track to the next level, RCP will be there for you. ;)

arch2b
2004.10.28, 04:24 PM
I think that asking questions about a new track on this forum is a dumb idea... I love this forum but some of you are the most bias and ignorant mother f...s i've ever met... i'm not talking about anyone who posted here by the way... it's just in the past if something isn't what they are use to then they shoot it down... how about a little pro and con thing before you blast a product... RCP wouldn't be anywhere near what they are now if they wouldn't have gotten support, there wouldn't be lane expansion or any of that... and if I remember, even RCP got flammed by some of the heavy hitters here on the site...

give things a chance before you tear them to shreds... small companies don't need reasons from biased people to kill their potential sales as well.
you do have a point... remember lorne :p it seemed anytime he posted if got turned into a porta trac/rcp war. it's not necessary.

the one thing i like about it is the novelty factor of having a street painted onto the tiles. i looks neat but i'm sure it would get just as boring after awhile as a plain jane tile would.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.10.28, 04:25 PM
Like how you slip in your prooduct there RCP... swift!

RCPMini-z
2004.10.28, 04:34 PM
Like how you slip in your prooduct there RCP... swift!

I can't post without it showing up, it's my forum name.

If this thread started out without mentioning RCP, than I would stay out of the conversation. But, I have to respond once somebody makes a claim about a feature of our track that is not true. I hope you understand.

Twenty-Se7en, you seem to share the same views on home store EVA foam tiles as I do.

If you notice the reply was to Calgary_Racers comments and not ZRC.

TNB
2004.10.28, 04:37 PM
As most should know, I like the decor as well since I've added trees, a building, a bridge, and soon a race light. Maybe some fake grass and a train down the road. I also worked on the boat pond last night.

However, for those same reasons I want to be sure that my Zs will stay on the track. To me it appears as though those barrier rails used on the Lakeshore may not be able to handle some very aggressive driving (or deadly driving). And although RCP Tracks didn't at first have blank tiles, the standard 50cm track also appears to have wider lanes. Let's face it, most of use probably wouldn't want to try and drive 6 Mini-Zs with optional motors on the Lakeshore track. I wouldn't want to do it on a Mini-Tile and I don't even like to drive an Xmod on a Mini-Tile because of the lousy turning.

Consequently, someone "might" enjoy the Lakeshore track as a "home" track especially if they are on a tight budget. However, as it is in the photos, it doesn't appear to be a very good "club" track and that is what this thread was originally geared toward.

arch2b
2004.10.28, 04:46 PM
i have to admit the figure 8 layout looks tempting :p think of all the wrecks :eek:

rcp, just curious but have you thought about painting tiles in a similar manner? i doubt the hard core mini-z fan will be fond of it but the xmod crowd might as well as the drag strip fans.

another idea... how about stripe painting the inside portion of inside turn tiles similat to lemans/f1 tracks? this would also give a bonus of extra traction to those that are talented enough to hug the rails without hitting them.

RCPMini-z
2004.10.28, 04:53 PM
arch, go ahead and ask these questions in an RCP thread and I can give you some feedback. I don't want this thread to get off "track". If you know what I mean.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.10.28, 05:04 PM

If this thread started out without mentioning RCP, than I would stay out of the conversation. But, I have to respond once somebody makes a claim about a feature of our track that is not true. I hope you understand.

Twenty-Se7en, you seem to share the same views on home store EVA foam tiles as I do.

yes, I do. :)

arch2b
2004.10.28, 05:05 PM
arch, go ahead and ask these questions in an RCP thread and I can give you some feedback. I don't want this thread to get off "track". If you know what I mean.
sure will, thanks :D

Blackno3
2004.10.28, 08:30 PM
The Rcp surface we have has the best traction out of anything we’ve ever tried. The Lakeshore surface has dimples in it so don’t see how a mini-z could get hooked up on it. But the 2 ft. lane widths are Achilles heal of this system.

I’ve been building custom tracks for years (@ CP RACWAY) and every time I build or modify one I always and up making the lanes wider. I started with 3O inches and than 32 which is good for road courses but now I’m up to 4 feet for the Cup Cars that we run. Bottom line is the wider the lane the faster the cars can go.

It may be ok for ZipZaps or maybe the 1/43 scale Epoch racers but then again there are those dimples in the surface so maybe not.

They also have photos of mini-z’s on a pool table. I could not imagine trying to run a mini-z on a pool table, they are simply to fast.

Anyway that’s my two cents.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.10.28, 08:44 PM
The Rcp surface we have has the best traction out of anything we’ve ever tried. The Lakeshore surface has dimples in it so don’t see how a mini-z could get hooked up on it. But the 2 ft. lane widths are Achilles heal of this system.

I’ve been building custom tracks for years (@ CP RACWAY) and every time I build or modify one I always and up making the lanes wider. I started with 3O inches and than 32 which is good for road courses but now I’m up to 4 feet for the Cup Cars that we run. Bottom line is the wider the lane the faster the cars can go.

It may be ok for ZipZaps or maybe the 1/43 scale Epoch racers but then again there are those dimples in the surface so maybe not.

They also have photos of mini-z’s on a pool table. I could not imagine trying to run a mini-z on a pool table, they are simply to fast.

Anyway that’s my two cents.
Well...

I think 2ft is smal for a club track, but for a 'kitchen run' or something like that, you and 4-5 buddies it isn't too bad... there is such thing as too wide of a track though, can't make it too easy. I don't have the mini-tile but i'm told that the skill required to run on it is much higher than the 50cm and in my opinion that is better for the drivers.

A pool table would be pretty small, but again you have to think about something that size for a small apartment or something like that... I disagree that it should ever been marketed to clubs and such, but for a younger teen in a small room then it might be good.

Sounds like i'm promoting the track, but I don't think it will fly, i'm just trying to say that there is a market for a track that wide ... I don't know off hand how wide the mini-tile is but isn't it somewhere in that range?

And you are right about the pool sized table... that would be rough if you were running anything other than bone stock cars.... but fact is most of us hop-up the cars before we can handle a stock car :o

Zrc
2004.10.28, 09:06 PM
Wow, it seems my simple little question ruffled a few feathers. For that I'm sorry. TNB, I don't know the history of this forum but I can say with all honesty that I'm just a curious newbie with a great interest as both a hobbyist and a commercial/club track operator. I currently own a Road Rails track system, an AMBrc lap system, a 16 ft drivers stand and and a PA system that supports the needs of the 1/10 scale club I founded. www.mrcracers.com.
My interest in track information stems from my interest in possibly starting another aspect of our club or possibly a commercial venture. I don't think I appreciate the insinuation that I may be trying to promote another product or degrade an existing product or that I may be operating as some sort of plant. As for your comments about my collection of cars.....yes, I currently own 2 Mini Z's; One stock MR01 and one stock MR02. I have clearly stated that I am a newbie to small scale cars. On the other hand, I have a collection of 30+ racing and collectible 1/10 scale cars and am an active participant at rctech.net with over 1000 posts and excellent feedback.
I would appreciate it if in the future you treat me, my questions and my comments with at least the level of respect I would afford you. I dearly hope this is not the way you or the greater number of people on this forum treat newcomers. If this forum is dedicated to certain manufacturers or conforms to only selected beliefs....please let me know and I'll find another forum that's more tolerant of my ignorance and willing to teach rather than belittle.
To those who have offered pleasant conversation and answers to my questions,Thank You and I apologise for the length of my comments.

arch2b
2004.10.28, 09:16 PM
zrc,
members here tend to have very strong convictions :p it's nothign personal. i strive to keep this forum as open as possible regarding all manufacturer's etc. rcp even offered suggestions and options and he own's rcp tracks... that's very gracious of him i think.

there are several track systems that are marketed toward the commercial market...

try searching for porta track or the member lorne or lornecherry (sp?)

there is also this system you mentioned, and there is rcp tracks.

rcp was gracious enough to use the forum as a direct information source/support for his tracks as lorne has done as well (for info- he seemed to take a beating though :( ). it's not a matter of being dedicated to products but products being dedicated to the users which this forum offer's direct contact to MANY. i wish more manufacturer's were involved with the fans as much as rcp is :cool:

btw, nice site you have there. the M CHASSIS looks very cool. somethign about mini's is fascinating to me

RCPMini-z
2004.10.28, 09:19 PM
Zrc, don’t take it personal. TNB was referring to Calgary_Racer's comments and not yours. I also posted onCalgary_Racer’s comments and I don't think there is anything wrong with either one of our posts. That is what's great about this open forum. You can express your thoughts about your ideas and knowledge of this hobby industry and no one is forcing you to go one way or another. Just take in what you want and formulate your own conclusions by what is said.

Welcome to the forum and I would suggest sticking around this place, it is filled with some of the best information around.

Zrc
2004.10.28, 09:27 PM
On a more constructive note. After reading the comments from you more experienced Z drivers, I clearly see why RCP tracks are more preferred. I also like that RCP maintains an active presence on this forum. That shows good support and that's very important to me.
Does anyone know if there are any plans to produce a magazine or e-zine for Mini Z's. I think this would be a real benefit and I'm surprised it hasn't come about. I wonder if Kyosho has concidered it??
Arch, thanks for the comment about our website. Still working on it as the club is only 4 months old but we're getting there !!

RCPMini-z
2004.10.28, 09:30 PM
My guess is your magazine question will be answered in 2005. There is already a magazine and website overseas. www.mini-z.jp. It has a lot of great information and pictures, if you speak the language. I think you just may see something similar here in the states very soon.

TNB
2004.10.28, 09:32 PM
Zrc,

From my stand point, I just couldn't see how anyone would try to use that track as a "club" track since:

The lanes appear too small,
It appears that you cannot widen the lanes,
The rails don't look strong enough to keep a Z on the track.

To me those "flaws" in my opinion would be very easy to spot especially considering how ROAR mandates some of its tracks and considering, how fast Mini-Zs can run. After all, Kyosho makes some of the best RC products in the world. Then again, that is my opinon.

And your original comment about how the Lakeshore tracks are selling quite well on ebay was very misleading to me since only three tracks were sold when I checked ebay. Consequently, it is statements like those that remind me of people who join forums and message boards to sell a product whether it be a track, real estate, or whatever.

If you are not one of them and are new to Zs, this forum can be a very good source of information. This forum is also sort of like a family, and like most families squabbles take place and most are forgiven or tolerate each other and make up later.

And yes, there is a magazine targeted at mini-owners.

RCPMini-z
2004.10.28, 09:36 PM
All good points. Thanks brother TNB

TNB
2004.10.28, 09:37 PM
Its all good. Thanks brother TNB
Thank you as well. ;)

Zrc
2004.10.28, 09:44 PM
So can I take this as a " we're ok ! " ?? Lakeshore very recently showed up on Ebay and I was surprised they would sell as they did. If you noticed, they are selling at the "buy it now" prices. Track buying is a big step and nobody likes to throw away hundreds of dollars on junk. The Lakeshore tracks are selling and they are advertising more of them. Thats all I was referring to. Maybe if the buyers were asking the questions I'm asking...they would have considered their choice differently. Let's call this squabble closed ?? I'd rather get on with learning from you guy's and I'm sure I'll ask my share of dumb questions.
Is the magazine you mentioned the Japanese one I came across ??

Twenty-Se7en
2004.10.28, 09:44 PM
It's a good place, just sometimes it a little rough getting use to what people react to around here... personally I just love a good debate so I jump at every opertunity I can to pull at every aspect of something.

Since you are looking into the comercial side of this little car then I suggest that you stick around here, there isn't a better Mini-Z forum on the internet and we can give you the most accurate information available!

Zrc
2004.10.28, 09:49 PM
This to I'll learn. Hey, I'm old, Italian and Married......Lord knows I should be used to arguing !! :D :D :D

TNB
2004.10.28, 09:52 PM
So can I take this as a " we're ok ! " ??
Sure we're ok. If you were here I could take you under my wing and show you how to fly down the track--just watch out for the boat pond and my two cats. I'd even loan you some CA glue for your bearings. :D That was a joke by the way.

Yes, the Japanese Magazine. Arch2b has it in one of his albums.

http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/album213

One of the members also started another magazine, but it is more "mini" than "mini-z" if you know what I mean.

Zrc
2004.10.28, 09:59 PM
Thanks all, I think I'll hang around for awhile and see if I can get completely addicted. I've got a question or 2 to ask about hop ups but I'll take it to the appropriate thread. I'm glad I'm here and thanks again.

DogbreathRacing
2004.10.29, 10:49 AM
Hey! We don't fight, squabble, or argue around here....we just engage in heated exchanges of personal experience and opinion.

Calgary_Racer
2004.11.01, 08:56 AM

RCPMini-z,

I would like to invite you to read again my previous post. Hopefully this time you pay attention to it, as a potential customer deserves, enough to notice that I have not said anything untrue about your tracks.
After that it would be nice to have your apologies.

Trying to answer the opening post, I agree with what Twenty-Se7en have commented. It is a nice track for someone trying to race in a reduced area, like an apartment, small room, etc. I believe it is even wider than some other popular tracks oriented to that same segment of the market. But I would not recommend it for a club track. I say this just in case someone misunderstood me. What I posted before was to comment that it is a nice concept, just that.

Calgary_Racer
2004.11.01, 09:11 AM
What is "quite well"? I just checked ebay and saw "three" total sales. One bidder on another track has zero purchases. I also noticed that you only own one stock Mini-Z or at least that is what is listed on your profile. If you ever decide to do something with it, i.e. hop it up, you would be better off considering a larger track since the quick glance I took at the Lakeshore website makes that track appear pretty darn small to run Mini-Zs. After all, have you seen the photos of my tracks? Even my Mini-Tile looks larger and I wouldn't ever consider that a club track!

What surfaces are you running on? Is it on a track or not? I have yet to ever run on any track where I could go full throttle other than in a full-size car on a 1/4 mile straight. Oh, I take that back. I let my batteries die so much one time that I could drive around a track full throttle. Regarding grip, it's easier to set-up a car to match a track and one's handling preference to a track that has grip than it is to run on a track with no grip at all. Ever run on ice? Ever ski on ice without metal edges? Ever drive a real car on ice? How much grip did you have on ice?

I don't know about anyone else, but it makes me wonder why "new" members also pop up on this forum and than start asking about non-Mini-Z products and other tracks besides RCP Tracks. To me, it makes me wonder if people are just promoting their products here under disguise of asking questions of other members in an attempt to promote their own products.

TNB,
I understand that you might be happy with some of the existing tracks and the grip they offer but that does not ban other surfaces and people that prefer a more “realistic” driving experience.
About if I have ever drove a real car on ice, well, if you read my location (which by the way is part of my user name) you can imagine why your question make my laugh. Sadly I have not found any surface that can make Mini-Zs behave like that (which is, for instance, try to stop an instead keep moving).

arch2b
2004.11.01, 11:53 AM
RCPMini-z,

I would like to invite you to read again my previous post. Hopefully this time you pay attention to it, as a potential customer deserves, enough to notice that I have not said anything untrue about your tracks.
After that it would be nice to have your apologies.

Trying to answer the opening post, I agree with what Twenty-Se7en have commented. It is a nice track for someone trying to race in a reduced area, like an apartment, small room, etc. I believe it is even wider than some other popular tracks oriented to that same segment of the market. But I would not recommend it for a club track. I say this just in case someone misunderstood me. What I posted before was to comment that it is a nice concept, just that.
ummm... i think this is just a case of misunderstanding comments about grip... nothign to argue over :rolleyes: :p :cool:

TNB
2004.11.01, 11:54 AM
C_R,

Try to stop and keep moving? I have no idea what that means since I can take a real car and slam on the brakes at a high rate of speed and still keep going.

If anyone wants realistic, I'd suggest making their own asphalt track and concrete barriers. Then toss some dirt on it or some water. Of course, the results may be disastrous. Then again, why bother with a track since someone could just purchase dots and lay them out in the street. Again, do you have a track?

I did notice your location and that is why I phrased my response the way I did. I've drove on snow and ice many times. I also used to ski almost every weekend for years. And in my opinion, there is NO traction whatsoever with a non-studded rubber tire, without using metal or plastic chains, or without using some other add-on to the standard tire. Myself, I refuse to drive my vette on ice, I don't drive it in the snow, and I don't plan to drive a Mini-Z in any such surface as well. But by all means, if someone wants to drive their Z on a non-grip surface, feel free too though it may just be simpler to change out the tires if someone doesn't want any grip.

arch2b
2004.11.01, 11:57 AM
TNB,
I understand that you might be happy with some of the existing tracks and the grip they offer but that does not ban other surfaces and people that prefer a more “realistic” driving experience.
About if I have ever drove a real car on ice, well, if you read my location (which by the way is part of my user name) you can imagine why your question make my laugh. Sadly I have not found any surface that can make Mini-Zs behave like that (which is, for instance, try to stop an instead keep moving).
so, are you looking for more slippery surfaces? i just want to understand what your looking for in a track surface. for tracks like rcp you can use hard deg tires and for fatigue mats you can use hard tires as well. i've never run on carpet tracks so.... for painted wood, again hard tires will give you a loose feeling.

i have yet to run on a track that will let you run full throttle thru a turn adn i do have an rcp track. that doens't mean there aren't any out there, i just have never experienced on with the materials i listed above.

if you looking for absolute realism.. go with an asphalt type roofing paper over plywood.

TNB
2004.11.01, 12:02 PM
Stock tires on Ozite carpet should provide enough "slip" for most people. ;)

RCPMini-z
2004.11.01, 12:41 PM
arch, you are correct, for true "realism" an asphalt or concrete racing surface would be ideal, since that is what is used for "real" car tracks. As far as "realism" in RC car tracks, I think all fabricated track materials give you some kind of realistic features. It's all in how you set up your car, just like real cars.

Tar paper provides great grip characteristics and can be either applied to wood or smooth concrete surfaces using a good grade of rubber tape, such as duct tape. (When I say good grip, I mean with the right car set up your car will handle very well around the turns. It doesn't mean you can go full throttle around the corners without letting off. I still don't know what surface allows you to do that!) I have built tar paper tracks before and although it offered great grip, it did have its down sides. The paper was really messy and sticky. Any dust or dirt that settled on the paper was very hard to get off. The base of the material is paper, so water and other cleaning chemicals didn't fare well. The paper would also rip very easily. If you go with a tar paper track, it is best to resurface the lanes often, which isn't that expensive, since you can buy a big roll at your home store for a very low cost.

Building your track with a good grip surface will allow you to make a smaller track, with narrow lanes, in a limited space. Track surfaces with very poor grip features will need to be made with much wider lanes, so there is room to slide. For these "sliding" or "drifting tracks, it is best to have at least a 33" to 48" lane width, from my experience.

If anyone is thinking of building a track with very narrow lanes 24" and smaller, be aware that the 1/24 scale size rc car is very difficult to manuever around such a tight track. The people on this forum who promote their very narrow lane personal tracks, are not the beginner or intermediate RC driver. They have great skills and are able to drive in such a limited space. If you are just starting out and want to build your own custom home track, I would advise you to start with at least a 33" or larger lane width. You will enjoy the 1/24 scale cars much more.

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.01, 02:42 PM
Here are my two cents...I have been looking long and hard for a track...and frankly I have boiled it down to the lakeland and RCP (Ozite and roofing paper are too much hassel..but thats a different post). I have e-mailed both companies and they both have some good points.

First off I will be ordering an RCP and not a Lakeland track. :eek: The Lakeland has some cool features, first off the camera and steering set up is VERY cool...I don't think anyone can deny that but its not practical for home use. The lakeland is also better in that you can vary the turn degree. The rails are debatable. I was assured that they are durable and the track surface IS different than the standard Wallmart mat surface.

Now for the RCP...sure it is very supported by Kyosho but that was not my deciding factor...in the end it is much more versatile system. You can make its narrower, wider...alter the surface...and they keep reinventing themselves. Look at how many more otions have come from them since their release?

IMHO the RCP in the end, appears to be a better product. :cool:

lightfighter
2004.11.11, 09:46 AM
hmmm this is not a thread to compare the RCP track vs the Lakeshore. We know the RCP track is one hell of a produce and the Lakeshore you can proll make yourself if you have some crafting skills............but for some it would just be easier to buy it....... You can treat the slick side of the Walmart tiles with some rubberized paint or treatment........

Like 27 said some of you are the most ignorant MOFO's on the planet.........every product is not up for bashing how about just a review and take how you want to take it!!!

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.11, 09:57 AM
My post wasn't a review or a bash it was just my though process in my quest for a track. Frankly, aside from these forums there is no way to find out the benefits and drawbacks of each track. I dont know about you but my LHS does not have any tracks for sale. Ergo, it is people posts on these forums that allow us to find out all we can. This is an OPEN forum for discussion of what we enjoy (though I must adnidt that flamong the thread started for possibly being the Lakeland track guy was a bit out of line).

If someone had a great or poor review of any track or any product for that matter I'd love to hear it. I don't think people here are ignorant per se but they have certain opinions on what they have. I for one find these forums very helpful and I have used everyones reviews to assist in my purchases.

Hell, a perfect example is the Iwaver posts. There are a lot of die har z-ers on here that seem to love their wavers as much and some more than their z's!

Once again, be advised that this is an OPEN forum and I for one value most of the opinions and reviews on here. If you look I started a thread on anotehr track I found. Now while this track too may not be "RCP quality" it is an different and cheaper alternative.

arch2b
2004.11.11, 10:03 AM
hmmm this is not a thread to compare the RCP track vs the Lakeshore. We know the RCP track is one hell of a produce and the Lakeshore you can proll make yourself if you have some crafting skills............but for some it would just be easier to buy it....... You can treat the slick side of the Walmart tiles with some rubberized paint or treatment........

Like 27 said some of you are the most ignorant MOFO's on the planet.........every product is not up for bashing how about just a review and take how you want to take it!!!
sure you can compare tracks.... it's part of reviewing products. don't you always compare cars to other cars when reviewing them?

the whole point was to get actual benificial reviews/comparisons rather than "this is bad or good" type comments that don't offer mcuh to go on. i think alot of thought can be read in this thread so far when you overlook some of the bickering. so lets try to leave them name calling and such out and continue with learning shall we :p

lightfighter
2004.11.11, 02:31 PM
No No your taking it the wrong way My comments were not directed to you.........its the climate of the forums I welcome your opinions on the track all I'm saying is around here some will bash you for saying anything against the popular product instead of taking your review for what it is......... a review

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.11, 02:34 PM
No No your taking it the wrong way My coments were not directed to you.........its the climate of the fourms I well come your opinions on the track all I'm saying is around here some will bash you for saying anything against the popular product instead of taking your review for what it is......... a review

Well here's more fuel to add to the fire... http://www.porta-trax.citymaker.com/catalog/item/881999/620460.htm

it seems nice...though expensive. I especially like the banked turns!

arch2b
2004.11.11, 02:37 PM
No No your taking it the wrong way My comments were not directed to you.........its the climate of the forums I welcome your opinions on the track all I'm saying is around here some will bash you for saying anything against the popular product instead of taking your review for what it is......... a review
i certainley can't argue with you on that one :p

lightfighter
2004.11.11, 02:44 PM
Well here's more fuel to add to the fire... http://www.porta-trax.citymaker.com/catalog/item/881999/620460.htm

the forum users ran that poor guy off the planet a few years back

arch2b
2004.11.11, 03:08 PM
i am happy to say lorne does keep up with the forum. he doesn't post as much due how shall we say overzealous support for a competing product :p he's still here though

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.11, 03:09 PM

I do disagree how people are quick to flame someone if the even think they are promoting their product.

If you ahve a new product you should be able to start a thread and let people decide. They allow threads for RCP, Pocket knife, NML and a host of others. As a consumer I want all the potions I can have and make my decision as educated as possible.

that Ozite tracks looks really nice and if it wasnt for the price, it would be a heavy competitor for RCP in my mind. ;)

arch2b
2004.11.11, 03:20 PM
I do disagree how people are quick to flame someone if the even think they are promoting their product.

If you ahve a new product you should be able to start a thread and let people decide. They allow threads for RCP, Pocket knife, NML and a host of others. As a consumer I want all the potions I can have and make my decision as educated as possible.

that Ozite tracks looks really nice and if it wasnt for the price, it would be a heavy competitor for RCP in my mind. ;)
i think were all for that. it's just this thread is a perfect example of what sometimes happens... a few offcolor posts throw the whole thread off and we end up with threads repeating exactly what were saying now so they tend to die off. or you get so many people starting threads on teh same topic that no one is interesting in parrotiung what they've already said... thus you see people suggest searching BEFORE posting questions and breathing new life into existing threads

the bit about promotion is unfortunatley somethign that does happen. it's a bit more prevelant on tinryrc than it is here but it does happen.

lightfighter
2004.11.11, 11:38 PM
they tried to run ProZ out of here too............ But he had such a good product it spoke for itself

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.12, 09:09 AM
So now that we have that out of the way I've got this awesome track I'm selling made out of...just kidding :p .

arch2b
2004.11.12, 09:20 AM
they tried to run ProZ out of here too............ But he had such a good product it spoke for itself
i think you have totally misunderstood the situation. pro-z still posts here frequently and most if not all the negative replies regarding pro-z refer to purchases from his website and have nothing but praise for his product. please refrain from posting over generalizations as it really is false info. and misleading.

btw, if you want to do some research and really get into the history of some famous forum flaming, check into nml and solomon :p again, these have nothign to do with the forum picking on any one person, more like fierce competition between factions for the top billing in mod motor's. it got pretty funny at some points and frustrating at other's

46u
2004.11.12, 10:31 AM
RCP is the only way to go! Like people say partially for a club Lake Shore is two narrow and you will only be able to run about 3 cars at a time. If you go with the RCP make sure it is not the mini tiles as I think the lanes with it are to small. I just set up my RCP track for the firs time, it is the wide L and I love it! One other thing RCP is cheaper!!!!!! :D

arch2b
2004.11.12, 10:39 AM
so your referring to lane width for the basis of your recomendation, correct?

46u
2004.11.12, 11:21 AM
so your referring to lane width for the basis of your recomendation, correct?

Lets put it this way, what is Kyosho selling, what are most of the big races run on now other then hand made tracks that have been around a while. I have never seen big races or hobby shop that is running on the Lakeshore track not saying there is not but I have not seen it. Track width is very important if you plain on running more then 3 cars at a time and RCP track is cheaper. With the RCP track you can make it narrow or wide at well can you do that with Lakeshore? Know you get what you get. I have never seen the Lakeshore track but their guardrails do not look like much? I know the guardrails on the RCP track work and it does not seem to hurt the car. With their track all you have to worry about is hitting another car. RCP must be selling track with out a problem as they do not have to list there’s on ebay. Like I said in my above posting I just got my RCP track and set it up for the first time last night. I looked at both brands and I had not problem thinking in my Owen mine that the RCP is the only way to go! RCP I should be a salesman for you! Ha Ha
:D

Calgary_Racer
2004.11.12, 11:36 AM

Porta-trax has some of the nicest modular tracks I have seen. It is true that some are not cheap but I think it is because they are not "cheap tracks". I guess there are a market for them. In the other hand, most of his tracks are really big and the ozite one might be less expensive than some other popular brands by sqft. Again, it is nice to have an alternative.

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.12, 11:36 AM
Agreed on the width...though I'd like to get ahold of lakeshores driving set up. The wheel and cameras and video screne. It would be great to put on an RCP track :p .

arch2b
2004.11.12, 11:39 AM
the point to this thread was to explore the option of the lake shore track, not an rcp sales pitch.

although i understand and share your enthusiasim for the rcp track (i own one myself), i'm trying to get some logical reasoning for the comparison/recomendations being made. thus i asked if the lane width was your basis for recomending something else.

we are all too familiar with the qualities of the rcp tracks due to the high number of mzr member's owning them. we have MANY threads reagrding the rcp tracks and few of the others that haven't degraded into name calling etc. i'd like to see that change. this does little for the newbie contemplating other options when it comes to see some organized, constructed comaprison information or general knowledge as posted by rcp himself regarding lane widths in another thread.

my point is not to berate anyone, just get more than the sales tag line and or short blubs out of them when posting their opinions. :p

TNB
2004.11.12, 11:39 AM
Porta-trax has some of the nicest modular tracks I have seen. It is true that some are not cheap but I think it is because they are not "cheap tracks". I guess there are a market for them. In the other hand, most of his tracks are really big and the ozite one might be less expensive than some other popular brands by sqft. Again, it is nice to have an alternative.
So how much are all these tracks by square foot? I asked on another thread if anyone has done the math and never received an answer?

arch2b
2004.11.12, 11:40 AM
they seem to be popular with teh epoch scale rc's from what i understand

46u
2004.11.12, 01:28 PM
I am not trying to bash any one I am only giving the facts as I see them and my opinion. I mostly run F1 and being they are about 1/24 scale and not 1/28 like the other Mini Z’s track width is very important. That is why when looking at tracks I did not go with RCP mini tiles. I still believe with RCP you have many more options as well as all around a better track. Maybe this forum is looking like a sales pitch for RCP what else are we to compare the Lakeshore to? Like I said has any one seen a big race on one of the Lakeshore or even seen one in a hobby shop? The reason I say that is it sure tells me something even if it does not tell any one anything. In the end buy what ever you want and good luck. :D

46u
2004.11.12, 01:44 PM
I am wondering how the gaps between the guardrails work on the Lakeshore?

arch2b
2004.11.12, 02:09 PM
46, i don't necessarily disagree with you.... the fact that radio shack and kyosho both picked rcp tracks for resale is a very important feature. you know it's not going to disappear a year from now....

i think if porta traks and this lake shore system got backing from some major industry people they would pick up in prominence as well. exposure has alot to do with success.

when comparing sales availability, i think you feel much safer purchasing an rcp track as there are any numebr of places to actually purchase them. i know porta trak has their own website and i'm sure other sites might sell it as well. it's been awhile since there has been any real discussion about lorne's products. i'm always leary about a business that only sells on ebay though. i know tons of people that refuse to buy from ebay due to trust and security fears alone.

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.12, 02:16 PM
[ i'm always leary about a business that only sells on ebay though. i know tons of people that refuse to buy from ebay due to trust and security fears alone.[/QUOTE]

However, ebay and the internet has created a very wide market and allows us to obtain items we never were able to before. It also decreases the barriers of entry into a market chock full of distributors monopolizing the sales.

I know that all the online Asian stores have brought a whole world of new products to me :p !

arch2b
2004.11.12, 02:28 PM
[ i'm always leary about a business that only sells on ebay though. i know tons of people that refuse to buy from ebay due to trust and security fears alone.

However, ebay and the internet has created a very wide market and allows us to obtain items we never were able to before. It also decreases the barriers of entry into a market chock full of distributors monopolizing the sales.

I know that all the online Asian stores have brought a whole world of new products to me :p ![/QUOTE]
ebay and ecommerce site are different animals though. most if not all ecommerce sites like rc mart, the shop here and much different than ebay in terms of how the consumer preceives them.

46u
2004.11.12, 04:26 PM
The only problem with a lot of the web sites Asian and in the states is Pay Pal which we could start a whole new thread on with what is going on with them, class action lawsuits, NY fined them $150,000, the FTC investigations and all the negative web sites about the horror stories. They burned me like so many others and I refuse to use them unless it is like here at the shop where you do not have to have an account with them and can do it direct CC. Pay Pal is proof you can get a license to rob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calgary_Racer
2004.11.12, 05:08 PM
So how much are all these tracks by square foot? I asked on another thread if anyone has done the math and never received an answer?
I have found that:
Finity-trax is about $1.5/sqrft.
RCP and Porta-trax (ozite) are about $2/sqrft.
Lakeshore is about $2.5/sqrft.
Porta-trax's "Prestige" tracks are about $8/sqrft.

Of course, I would not buy a track just because is cheaper by sqrft.

TNB
2004.11.12, 05:22 PM
Based on those figures, people shouldn't really gripe about the cost of an RCP Track when it is one of the lesser priced tracks on the market. And if someone's only gripe about RCP tracks is the railing, it seems like it would still be cost effective to purchase an RCP track and construct their own rails or possibly, just purchase the tiles by themselves. Myself, I'd rather have an RCP Track over Ozite since I actually started running Mini-Zs on Ozite. However, I know that I would NOT pay 4x the amount of an RCP Track for personal use considering the size of the RCP Track I already own.

nfo
2004.11.13, 12:48 AM
Howdy. I'm very new to all things RC, but my 9-year-old son got me interested in Mini Zs/XMODS last spring. Me, my son, several of my buddies and his buddies all race for fun. We discussed buying a track, so I did some investigating and found this thread a week or two ago. Dispite the general feeling of this chat room, we really liked the looks of the lakeshore track and ordered one. We've raced on it several nights now (including tonight). I thought you might be interested in my opinion.

I gotta tell you, we love it. It isn't sticky like you guys who do heavy racing would prefer, but it's very cool and extremely easy to put down and change around. The surface allows us to slide a bit around fast turns, but we decided that we really like that for the realism. The bumpers work great too... I know someone had a question about that. Like one of you guys mentioned, the Lakeshore track works great for home use. It's certainly wide enough for our in-house races... the width actually helps because we've used it in my living room and basement.

I haven't seen an rcp track in person, so I can't compare, but I wanted to give Lakeshore a fair shake. We love it and their customer service was outstanding. Thanks guys for all the good comments. I hope this helps spur more talk.

TNB
2004.11.13, 01:06 AM
Welcome to the boards. I'm glad you are enjoying your track. Myself, I'm really into the layouts and would love to see some photos of your track and set up. So far I have a couple of buildings, a race light, trees, signs, a bridge, and whatever other decor I can think of at the time. Looking forward to photos.

RCPMini-z
2004.11.13, 05:04 AM
nfo, thanks for the review. I haven't run on a Lakeshore track and would be interested in testing it out. I am practically your neighbor and live in Ventura, Ca. as well. Any chance I can come by one weekend and bring some z's to run on the track? I could bring along some slightly used trade show tracks for you to test out. If you like running on any of them, there yours to keep. Can you send me an email at rcptracksinfo@sbcglobal.net. ? Just address the email to RCPMini-z and I will get the message. If you don't want to set up at your house, you are welcome to come by our shop here in Ventura and run with some of the boys from this forum. NML and a few others have got together in the past for some fun G2G's and we were thinking of having one in December. Would be great if you and your boys could come over for some fun racing. I have 3 younger children who all run 1/24 scale and some of them also attend the fun racing events as well. My son is also 9 and I think they would get along great. Look forward to hearing from you.

I will try and email you from this forum.

Thanks.

RCPMini-z
2004.11.13, 05:27 AM
nfo, you got mail.

I will contact Core Analog and see about bringing over one of the new timing systems for you to test out. The system works wonderful for 1/24 and similar size scale RC cars and would allow you and your boys to compare lap times and speeds with each other. I think the system would be a great addition to your get togethers with your friends.

BTW, don't be mislead by all the talk about grip on an RCP. Although most people prefer a surface that offers some good handling characteristics and the RCP grip is better than most with the right set up, you can always run stock or hard rubber tires on your cars and slide around the track as much as you want. It gives you a little of both worlds.

arch2b
2004.11.13, 10:09 AM
i look forward to seeing some pictures, hint, hint ;)

rcp, im interested to hear your thoughts of the track as well. some of the features spawned ideas for rcp tracks as well (inside turn stripes) which i can't wait to see btw :p

Zrc
2004.11.13, 11:49 AM
Cool...I thought this thread would die out quickly. Glad to see some open discussion about the tracks. I'm now looking seriously at starting a club/commercial track so I'll be opening a can of worms question regarding the merits of ALL the available track types. Can we do it ??

RCPMini-z
2004.11.13, 12:28 PM
nfo, I noticed you where active on the forums this morning but didn't answer my question, if it would be OK to come by some time and test out your track. The offer is still on the table for you to join us at a local g2g, here in Ventura,Ca.

I only live a few miles from your area.

TNB
2004.11.13, 05:57 PM
nfo & RCPMini-Z,
A race, that's a great idea. Perhaps, I'll even go over if some of the other MZR members are game for a race on a Lakeshore track. Any set up tips out there? However, I'd at least want to see a few photos of the track first and perhaps, a photo of a possible race configuration layout since I know some of those local members would probably set up an RCP Track race layout and practice ahead of time.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.13, 10:58 PM
If NFO doesn't respond he's nuts... I mean, if he really has a lakeshore track and doesn't mind you taking a look at it, the chance to get a free show track is sweet. I'd pay the shipping for one if it wasn't absolutly killer.

Calgary_Racer
2004.11.15, 12:31 PM
Based on those figures, people shouldn't really gripe about the cost of an RCP Track when it is one of the lesser priced tracks on the market. And if someone's only gripe about RCP tracks is the railing, it seems like it would still be cost effective to purchase an RCP track and construct their own rails or possibly, just purchase the tiles by themselves. Myself, I'd rather have an RCP Track over Ozite since I actually started running Mini-Zs on Ozite. However, I know that I would NOT pay 4x the amount of an RCP Track for personal use considering the size of the RCP Track I already own.
TNB,

I guess you can see it the other way around as well ;) .
It is quite clear that you are very happy with your track.

One comment about Ozite. Porta-trax claims they have developed a new type of Ozite specifically for Mini-Z. Apparently that Ozite carpet has two different side. One with the tradicional Ozite (the one you might have used) and one with the new "higher grip" Ozite. It looks like your comparison is not longer valid.

arch2b
2004.11.15, 01:17 PM
regardless of the surface, getting the "feel" your looking for is more a matter of setup than surface. you can make just about any surface slick with a simple change of tires or any surface more grippy with another change of tires.

are there any posted reviews of this new ozite? lorne has mentioned it before...

TNB
2004.11.15, 01:32 PM
TNB,
One comment about Ozite. Porta-trax claims they have developed a new type of Ozite specifically for Mini-Z. Apparently that Ozite carpet has two different side. One with the tradicional Ozite (the one you might have used) and one with the new "higher grip" Ozite. It looks like your comparison is not longer valid.
First I read about people preferring ozite over RCP Tracks because they don't want so much traction or "grip" and now you mention that there is a "higher grip" ozite. It seems like those ozite tracks are trying to obtain more grip. So much for the traction compounds--I guess I won't need to use anymore of that stuff or true anymore foams on the new ozite.

Regarding my comparison, provide me with a track and I'll compare it. PTI has developed a new truck over one year ago too, but I don't see that on the market yet.

On more thing while I am editing, C-R do you know nfo? Where is he at and is he going to hold a race on his track?

Arch2b,
I agree and why spend 4x the amount of the price of an RCP Track when all one has to do is change tires. I've also noticed all that wasted track space on some of these tracks where the rails overlap. Is that like paying for extra tiles or ozite? I also wonder how well the ozite stays together if you keep changing the configuration or can it even been done without the ozite coming up like regular carpet.

lightfighter
2004.11.15, 02:41 PM
not really a fan of ozite you get the mystery traction roll at low speeds and no traction at high speeds........ My Xray will plant nicely on Ozite a widebody set up where my Rs4 will filip all over the place.........its a 150mm narrow body set up......but on a more forgiving surface my RS4 will do the damm thing!!!

46u
2004.11.15, 07:31 PM
First I read about people preferring ozite over RCP Tracks because they don't want so much traction or "grip" and now you mention that there is a "higher grip" ozite.

If you want to slip and slide on RCP track all you have to do is put harder tires on. On my F1’s I run 30 rear and 40 front and I get what is realistic with a little slipping but not to much as real F1’s do not have much slipping but at take off like in the pits. With traction control on the real F1 you should not have much slipping at the start of the race or something is not set right on it. If you want more you can always go harder on the tires! I have no problem in cutting donuts and on some of my MR 01’s the tires are so hard I can hardly turn a corner with out spinning out. So with RCP you can have your cake and eat it to. :D

TNB
2004.11.15, 08:48 PM
If you want to slip and slide on RCP track all you have to do is put harder tires on.
It seems like I've wrote something like that a time or two. ;) It also seems like if someone wanted to enforce some sort of "slip and slide" during a race, they would have to regulate all the tires and set-up even more than Kyosho did during the Mini-Z-Cup just so someone else couldn't smoke them with some grippy tires.

As far as ozite, pit lanes, hair pin turns, and optional blank tiles are concerned, can those options be done with ozite? I mean can someone take a track covered with ozite and then insert blank tiles covered with ozite sort of like an RCP Track or are you stuck with the original layout once it is laid? I also don't mean, just adding another run off it but reconfiguring the track itself? If not, it seems like it would just be easier to purchase some ozite, spread it out, and then attach some sort of barriers or just lay down some rails like some 1/12th scale track.

SeniorChief
2004.11.15, 10:22 PM
nfo, I noticed you where active on the forums this morning but didn't answer my question, if it would be OK to come by some time and test out your track. The offer is still on the table for you to join us at a local g2g, here in Ventura,Ca.

I only live a few miles from your area.

RCPMini-Z, you've got mail...

I would like to invite myself to your GTG if at all possible... :D I think Arch2B will vouch for me, I don't bite and I am fairly well house trained. :p

arch2b
2004.11.16, 05:41 AM
RCPMini-Z, you've got mail...

I would like to invite myself to your GTG if at all possible... :D I think Arch2B will vouch for me, I don't bite and I am fairly well house trained. :p
anytime, anyplace :cool: he's fairly polite too :p (j/k)

arch2b
2004.11.16, 05:16 PM
anyone have more information or anything to add reagrding the topic, lakeshore tracks? :p

i guess were waiting on nfo of zrc (are they the same person?) for more details and some images. what would be best is some video, especially from track level ;) don't hold out on us now... :rolleyes:

TNB
2004.11.16, 05:20 PM
I'd like to see some photos too. I'd also like to know if RCP and NFO are getting together or if some of the MZR members are going to be allowed to try out NFO's track.

arch2b
2004.11.16, 05:24 PM
well, i have to say letting stranger's come over is not always a comforting thing to think about. my wife was a bit skeptical about inviting strangers over to race on my track becasue let's face it, were all very anonoymous (sp?) and there are tons of stories abotu all the nut jobs on the web etc. i am very glad i didn open up my track becasue i've met some very nice people i would have never had the pleasure of know if i hadn't. still, i can understand if nfo is hesitant about letting other's come over. it's his home, not ours :p

that being said, i'd like to see it happen though ;)

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.16, 05:28 PM
I'd offer a mutual meeting place in NY :p . Any my own invention of a track should be completed soon!

TNB
2004.11.16, 05:29 PM
Well I could understand if he didn't want a bunch of crazy nuts with litte cars running around, but just allowing RCP to come over since they appear to live near by and if not even RCP, then a few photos of the track itself. After all, it's not like members around here don't share photos. ;)

byebye
2004.11.16, 06:20 PM
well, i have to say letting stranger's come over is not always a comforting thing to think about. my wife was a bit skeptical about inviting strangers over to race on my track becasue let's face it, were all very anonoymous (sp?) and there are tons of stories abotu all the nut jobs on the web etc. i am very glad i didn open up my track becasue i've met some very nice people i would have never had the pleasure of know if i hadn't. still, i can understand if nfo is hesitant about letting other's come over. it's his home, not ours :p

that being said, i'd like to see it happen though ;)

Whew! Glad to know we got the "not a nut job" approval :D :D ! You can't go wrong when you bring your whole family or can you?

Yeah some pics of this track in action would give a better understanding. NFO doesn't seem to be as active on the topic though. Maybe they are enjoying so much they don't have time for forums :p .

arch2b
2004.11.16, 07:35 PM
Whew! Glad to know we got the "not a nut job" approval :D :D ! You can't go wrong when you bring your whole family or can you?...
only when your son chucks hotwheels at your guests :o :eek: sorry about that

powersackers
2004.11.18, 12:21 AM
I'm new to RC. I just wanted an indoor hobby for the kids and my friends. I don't have the knowledge to post yet, but I did purchase a Lakeshore track today. I saw their auction on Ebay - called them directly and told them I was debating ozite vs. foam for a personal use track. I asked for the best deal possible and they bumped the price down for me. I bought 16 tiles, a start finish line and 2 xmods (1 for each kid 10 and 8). Customer service was great. I'll post pictures when I get it and set it up. I've been racing on my concrete garage floor to this point. Like I said, I don't know much - but appreciate the opportunity to learn from you all. Thanks.

TNB
2004.11.18, 12:35 AM
How much did you pay? Let us know how it turns out with the Xmods. Do you plan to purchase a Mini-Z? Don't make use wait to long for the photos.

powersackers
2004.11.18, 12:47 AM
How much did you pay? Let us know how it turns out with the Xmods. Do you plan to purchase a Mini-Z? Don't make use wait to long for the photos.

I paid $269 for everything (including shipping). The xmods were $100 of that. I designed the track on their site to be an L-shape. I made sure to put a straight between each corner as I don't like the turning radius on my xmod. I almost bought a mini-z on ebay today, but I'm going to go through my local shop to make sure I get what I want. And being new to this, I'm not even sure what that will be.

Don't worry, you all will get some pics day 1. My first track was my concrete floor and a garden hose. I'm a geek... here's a pic or two.

http://www.geocities.com/powersackers/XmodsRC/powersackers_xmods_rc_page.htm

TNB
2004.11.18, 01:35 AM
Tower has some pretty good prices right now, so you may want to check them out too.

byebye
2004.11.18, 07:20 AM
I paid $269 for everything (including shipping). The xmods were $100 of that. I designed the track on their site to be an L-shape. I made sure to put a straight between each corner as I don't like the turning radius on my xmod. I almost bought a mini-z on ebay today, but I'm going to go through my local shop to make sure I get what I want. And being new to this, I'm not even sure what that will be.

Don't worry, you all will get some pics day 1. My first track was my concrete floor and a garden hose. I'm a geek... here's a pic or two.

I like your site. Pretty cool and I like the track! Very creative and to me it looks like you've been bitten by the bug :eek: ! I was the same way. I took what ever I had and made a track or obstacle out of it. I never went as far as making a web page but that's really cool especially for your kids I'm sure.

On concrete and other slick surfaces x-mods drift pretty easily. You won't get the same drift action out of a mini-z because they have more torque than x-mods and are lighter weight.

It will be interesting to see the lakeshore track in action. I know everyone will be looking forward to that. Also Welcome to the forum. You will find a whole lot of information here using the search feature and if you don't want to sift through all the questions I'm sure most of us won't mind you asking but I would definately start in the begginer questions area :) .
ByeBye

Xracer
2004.11.18, 11:44 AM
I'm new to RC. I just wanted an indoor hobby for the kids and my friends. I don't have the knowledge to post yet, but I did purchase a Lakeshore track today. I saw their auction on Ebay - called them directly and told them I was debating ozite vs. foam for a personal use track. I asked for the best deal possible and they bumped the price down for me. I bought 16 tiles, a start finish line and 2 xmods (1 for each kid 10 and 8). Customer service was great. I'll post pictures when I get it and set it up. I've been racing on my concrete garage floor to this point. Like I said, I don't know much - but appreciate the opportunity to learn from you all. Thanks.

dude you got hosed. You can buy those squares everywhere for like 3 dolars a peice. Ive been taken on ebay before and you really got to know your stuff before buying on there especially Kyosho stuff. You should of bought your xmod cars at radioshack, at least there you could have return them if something got broke.

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.18, 11:55 AM
dude you got hosed. You can buy those squares everywhere for like 3 dolars a peice. Ive been taken on ebay before and you really got to know your stuff before buying on there especially Kyosho stuff. You should of bought your xmod cars at radioshack, at least there you could have return them.

Everywhere? $3.00 a piece? I paid about that for my fatigues and they have no rails....I guess were getting raped in NY. I'd like to know where I could get a track for $3 a piece with rails!

Xracer
2004.11.18, 12:01 PM
you didn't get raped. you payed what I did 3 dolars a square. just cut the edges off and glue them on the squares. Now you have a track with rails for 3 dolars a square. Am I missing something.

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.18, 12:11 PM
you didn't get raped. you payed what I did 3 dolars a square. just cut the edges off and glue them on the squares. Now you have a track with rails for 3 dolars a square. Am I missing something.

Well that was my thinking...though I stuck the edges at a 90 degree angle around the edge of my setup then made a track by holding the remaining edges with stick pins to make s turns...turn arounds...what ever I want. But people like neat little tracks with pretty barriers and lane markers. :p

Xracer
2004.11.18, 12:14 PM
I cut the sides off the fatigue squares and glued them on the sides to make a track to practice for the radioshack race which I never was able to get a ride too so I missed it. I put two tiles side by side for the lanes and glued the cut off edges to the sides for the rail. I tried one tile but it was way too tite for my xmod. I used this shoeglue stuff that worked good for the rails. your ideasounds better since its not so permenent.

what is a stick pin.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.18, 12:21 PM
Don't be so negative. The man bought a track... it didn't look at me like he wanted to go cutting and pasting anti-fatigue mats... a lot of places don't even get them... Lay off. When a person lays down the dough for something don't tell them it's ****, have some sense.

Let him review it before we tell him if it is good or not, we haven't tried a lakeshore track... we can't judge.

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.18, 12:23 PM
Don't be so negative. The man bought a track... it didn't look at me like he wanted to go cutting and pasting anti-fatigue mats... a lot of places don't even get them... Lay off. When a person lays down the dough for something don't tell them it's ****, have some sense.

Let him review it before we tell him if it is good or not, we haven't tried a lakeshore track... we can't judge.

I was trying to be a bit more diplomatic with my reply but...yeah 27 summed it up well. hey, lets face it none of us have driven a lakeshore...it may be the best track out there!

Xracer
2004.11.18, 12:46 PM
Well that was my thinking...though I stuck the edges at a 90 degree angle around the edge of my setup then made a track by holding the remaining edges with stick pins to make s turns...turn arounds...what ever I want. But people like neat little tracks with pretty barriers and lane markers. :p

what is a stick pin?

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.18, 12:47 PM
It's like a needle, meant to hold material together.

Looks something like this usually:

o-------------

byebye
2004.11.18, 12:55 PM

If my LHS had a track I would race there regardless of who it was made by. This guy bought the track for fun for his family. I made mine for my family to use. It's not about the quality of the track for me. It's wether or not we are having fun building it and racing on it.

I'm really anxious to find out about this track. Hopefully we get some reviews soon.

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.18, 12:58 PM
If my LHS had a track I would race there regardless of who it was made by. This guy bought the track for fun for his family. I made mine for my family to use. It's not about the quality of the track for me. It's wether or not we are having fun building it and racing on it.

I'm really anxious to find out about this track. Hopefully we get some reviews soon.

In my mind any track that is aboe to be driven on is a fun track and a fun track is always good. the more manufatures we support the more will pop up and the more that pop up the more products and improvements we have. Good to see an uber consumer buying a lakeshore...I cant wait for a review.

I was torn between that and the RCP but my creativity and impatience caused me to be innovative and build my own...I'm gonna have to take a break from runnig on it and take a photo or two.

Xracer
2004.11.18, 01:00 PM
It's like a needle, meant to hold material together.

Looks something like this usually:

o-------------

Ok I understand. How do stick the rails on using this. Maybe do it at a angle to make it more tite for when the car hit it.

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.18, 01:04 PM
Ok I understand. How do stick the rails on using this. Maybe do it at a angle to make it more tite for when the car hit it.

I used three or four for a two foot section. My fatifues came with a snap in border (like how the tiles fit together but flat on one side and puzzle pieced on the other) so when put in then bent them up 90 degrees it made a nice border.

Then I took the remaining, laid out a straightaway in the back, and played with the rest. When done I pinned them down at a slight angle to greate tension. Stick pins is what I had but I think I may got to HDepot to find something a bit touger but still not marring.

I can now constantly change part or all of my track! My turns are not limited to any degree angle and at spots I go from a fatifue and a half wide down to one wide.

Xracer
2004.11.18, 01:11 PM
cool, picture would be great, please put them up.

powersackers
2004.11.19, 12:17 AM
dude you got hosed. You can buy those squares everywhere for like 3 dolars a peice. Ive been taken on ebay before and you really got to know your stuff before buying on there especially Kyosho stuff. You should of bought your xmod cars at radioshack, at least there you could have return them if something got broke.

I'll let you all help me decide if I got "hosed" once it's set up and I post pictures, lap times with stock xmods and my review. After work, and family obligations there isn't much time in the evenings and weekends to build and maintain my own track - but there will be time to race the track I bought that sets up in 10 minutes and can be stored away quickly. I won't be worrying about glue, stick pins and all the other things that could fall off.

Xracer
2004.11.19, 01:08 AM
I used three or four for a two foot section. My fatifues came with a snap in border (like how the tiles fit together but flat on one side and puzzle pieced on the other) so when put in then bent them up 90 degrees it made a nice border.

Then I took the remaining, laid out a straightaway in the back, and played with the rest. When done I pinned them down at a slight angle to greate tension. Stick pins is what I had but I think I may got to HDepot to find something a bit touger but still not marring.

I can now constantly change part or all of my track! My turns are not limited to any degree angle and at spots I go from a fatifue and a half wide down to one wide.

Did you take the snap border pieces that came with it and snap them back into the puzzle square joints at a 90 degree or did you use the flat side of the border and then stick it with the stick pin onto the flat part of the squarres. I glued mine so I cant move them around to differet angles. I would like to do that and I want to use the other side and try your idea. Can please post a picture I think it would be much more clear.

byebye
2004.11.19, 06:06 AM
I'll let you all help me decide if I got "hosed" once it's set up and I post pictures, lap times with stock xmods and my review. After work, and family obligations there isn't much time in the evenings and weekends to build and maintain my own track - but there will be time to race the track I bought that sets up in 10 minutes and can be stored away quickly. I won't be worrying about glue, stick pins and all the other things that could fall off.

Exactly! Can't wait to see the reviews.

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.19, 09:31 AM
[QUOTE=Xracer]Did you take the snap border pieces that came with it and snap them back into the puzzle square joints at a 90 degree or did you use the flat side of the border and then stick it with the stick pin onto the flat part of the squarres. I glued mine so I cant move them around to differet angles. I would like to do that and I want to use the other side and try your idea. Can please post a

I'll post pics but it easy..around the edge of the trach I did the 90 degree thing then in the inside I took them and pinned them down flat.

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.19, 09:33 AM

I;m sure it is fine...if it is fun them you didnt get hosed. Though...I'm sure you'll want a Z soon enough... :p

arch2b
2004.11.19, 09:50 AM
lakeshores own website explains the difference between xmods and mini-z very well

this is their example (http://www.lakeshorerc.com/pop-ups/xmod-example.htm)

powersackers
2004.11.19, 10:08 AM
lakeshores own website explains the difference between xmods and mini-z very well

this is their example (http://www.lakeshorerc.com/pop-ups/xmod-example.htm)

I'm glad I read that on their site before I purchased. With the 10 straights and 6 curves I bought I'll have about 4 layouts for xmods. When I get a Z I'll have many more options.

byebye
2004.11.20, 06:28 AM
It's cool to see you are exploring all options though. I started with x-mods too. I was satisfired then I went to LXX mini-z's then real mini-z's. I think I kind of graduated which really helped my driving.

Zrc
2004.11.22, 09:40 PM
Been busy with 1/10 scale stuff........Did NFO ever respond to the offer that was made by RCP ?? I guess I'll have to go back and read up.

Zrc
2004.11.22, 10:06 PM
i guess were waiting on nfo of zrc (are they the same person?) for more details and some images.

In answer to your query...No...I am not NFO. :rolleyes:BTW, I don't know if it will ease your mind or satisfy the paranoia but feel free to check out my website and contact me if need be. www.mrcracers.com
Powersackers.....How did your Lakeshore track work out??

arch2b
2004.11.22, 10:42 PM
nice pictures inb your gallery. the mini is awsome!

i don't think nfo has responded...

Zrc
2004.11.23, 12:44 AM
Thanks, those pics are just some I pulled off the Tamiya website. The site will go through a major re-make in January....at that time we'll add some of our own pics showing the club and drivers cars.

So am I to understand that NFO never got back in touch with RCP ?? Well that just sounds dumb.....why lie about owning a track !! All I know is that I have to do something soon as we have nowhere around here to run Z's. I've tried twice to make the 2.5 hr trip over to Tampa where they have a group who races every Wednesday. Ya know...when I was younger a road trip like that wouldn't even phase me......How come it's so damned hard now !!! :(

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.23, 01:59 AM
tell me about it... road trip days have passed me by :(

46u
2004.11.23, 02:00 PM
tell me about it... road trip days have passed me by :(

Many we ask how old you are? I am 50 and still do 800-mile days or more on my motorcycle. Lots of times I do this with friends that are 65 or better. In 05 or 06 I am going to ride to Alaska on the motorcycle. I love doing 7,000 to 8,000 miles in a couple of weeks. Some times I ride 5 hours round trip just to go get fresh seafood at the seashore. I thought I was the only old fart on this forum besides extra pickles. :D

SeniorChief
2004.11.23, 04:29 PM
Many we ask how old you are? I am 50 and still do 800-mile days or more on my motorcycle. Lots of times I do this with friends that are 65 or better. In 05 or 06 I am going to ride to Alaska on the motorcycle. I love doing 7,000 to 8,000 miles in a couple of weeks. Some times I ride 5 hours round trip just to go get fresh seafood at the seashore. I thought I was the only old fart on this forum besides extra pickles. :D
Hate to bust your bubble, but there seems to quite a few old farts on the forum. Hell I have already retired once! :D

Wavy
2004.11.23, 08:31 PM
Thanks for all the information on tracks in this forum. I'm getting ready to buy a track for home use to practice between race nights at Tom Thumb Hobbies in Columbus. I'm fairly new to Mini-Z's but I have caught the bug in a bad way. At TT's we race on an RCP track and for home I'm thinking about the Mini96. I like the fact that I could expand lane width with extra tiles if I want. Besides the fact that I want to practice on the same surface we race on, the other big advantage is consistency. Nobody had talked much about the surface of the tile and how they respond to dust. We actually walk on the track without harm. Because the RCP surface is slightly textured, the dust settles in and doesn't change the handling characteristics. From what I've heard, with a smooth foam tile surface, once it gets dusty the cars start sliding. I'd love to see some reviews of the Lakeshore track, but for my money RCP is the way to go. By the way, RCP is coming out with a Mini96 track that has 1 1/4" tall side rail as opposed to the 5/8" currently available. That should make it even easier and better to mate with a 50cm track!

Zrc
2004.11.25, 06:42 AM
I think I qualify for the old fart list but I'm not admitting it !!!!!!!! Then again.....according to my teen aged kids.....I was old at 30 !!! :D

powersackers
2004.11.29, 10:59 PM

I got my Lakeshore track today. About 5 business days after ordering. It set up in about 10 minutes. Let me preface by telling you all I've never run on any surface except concrete and that I am running a stock xMod.

The track surface is very similar to what you can find at Sam's Club. But the foam quality seems better - maybe it's more dense I would guess. The track lines are painted in silver and are well done. The rail system is definitly a good selling point. It is glued to the mats and painted yellow on the top (it has a furry feel to it). There are small gaps in the rails between tiles but they did not affect racing. The track locked together very effortlessly, and the seems settle down, well, seemlessly.

With fresh batteries I was blazing around the track. With full throttle into a turn I would drift, but not spin. It had plenty of grip for accurate throttling in the turns. Lakeshore suggest foam tires for even better grip if you want it.

When hitting a rail with a fender you'd lose a very little speed, although cutting turns too soon will stop you on a dime. I flipped the car once in my hour of racing.

The track is not wide enough for more than about 3-4 cars at a time. Which is perfect for me. I only expect to run that many.

That's all I can think to point out. Please ask questions. I'll post several pictures in the morning. I left my camera's card reader at work.

Powersackers

arch2b
2004.11.29, 11:01 PM
thanks for the review. i'm sure there will be plenty of questions.

any chance we can see video?

powersackers
2004.11.29, 11:06 PM
thanks for the review. i'm sure there will be plenty of questions.

any chance we can see video?

I'll have to borrow a digital camera that can do videos. But that souldn't be a problem.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.30, 05:34 AM
congrats... can't wait for pictures and possibilty videos... :D

powersackers
2004.11.30, 12:49 PM
congrats... can't wait for pictures and possibilty videos... :D

Mike

arch2b
2004.11.30, 12:59 PM
thanks for putting that together.

i bet a mini-z could cut the lap time nearly in half ;)

nice close up pictures. i would try it without the flash, it tends to create deep contrasts making backgrounds hard to see an washing out objects in the foreground

TNB
2004.11.30, 02:01 PM
powersackers,
Glad to see you are enjoying your track. It should help save the cars from some damage too. [Still thinking about my poor yellow F50 and the replacement body I'm getting now. :( Dang Losi Track Dot and my "off" driving. :mad: ].

arch2b,
Now, now arch2b. Give him time. After all, if he hangs around here long enough he'll probably get at least one Kyosho Mini-Z. Regarding the photos, sometimes I end up taking three different photos of the same thing just because of the flash or not to flash thing. My new camera allows you to adjust the lighting on the view screen and show "noise", but I haven't figured out all the fancy stuff yet. I don't know if I ever will. :o

arch2b
2004.11.30, 02:24 PM
it was just a teaser :p

for every picture i have in my album there are atleast 3/4 you don't see. i take a few each time to make sure the camera focus's right as well as with or without flash. most of the time i choose no flash but you have to remain still so that the longer exposure doesn't get blurry

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.30, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=TNB]powersackers,
Glad to see you are enjoying your track. It should help save the cars from some damage too. [Still thinking about my poor yellow F50 and the replacement body I'm getting now. :( Dang Losi Track Dot and my "off" driving. :mad: ].

TNB....if you dont crash now and again it means youre jsut not pushing the car fast enough! The Losi dots seem great...you can take a better line but cut it too hard and off the track you fly!

TNB
2004.11.30, 03:16 PM
I do crash, I just crashed one too many times into the "same" dot. Ironically, I put the dot there because I knew there was a line there and I just wanted to make it "finer". I guess I just pushed the line a little too much. I'm either going to try and JB Weld the F50 body together again or leave the front piece broke off and put in "Bill's Body Shop" with the track layout for future photos or perhaps, both.

powersackers
2004.12.01, 11:35 AM
thanks for putting that together.

i bet a mini-z could cut the lap time nearly in half ;)

nice close up pictures. i would try it without the flash, it tends to create deep contrasts making backgrounds hard to see an washing out objects in the foreground

Thanks for the Tip. Also, Bad news - this morning my 8 year old brought my Supra in and left it sitting on the kitchen counter. My wife's robe caught it and sent it falling to the tile floor. The rear spoiler cracked! I can fix that. I didn't have a chance to see if it still runs ok.

I also checked out my local hobby store yesterday, they had an entire shelf of Mini-Z's in stock, and some bodies. They were $149.99 and $129.99. They didn't have the NSX that I want in a ready-set but did have the body for $24.99. I'm not sure which route I'll choose, they can order in the NSX if I want it. They also have an RCP track in the back on an elevated wooden table, with PVC pipe for the inner wall and wood for the outer wall in a rectangular shape. I'll snap some pictures of it if/when I race a Z up there.

powersackers
2004.12.07, 01:41 AM

I actually made videos with my Sony Handycam digital camcorder. Just didn't have time to transfer them to my laptop. I'll post them when I get back in town this weekend.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.12.07, 03:26 PM
can't wait to see ;)

deputydog336
2005.03.11, 10:35 AM
I was wondering if anyone else has bought a Lakeshore track. I am new to the forum and have posted a few questions on other threads and mentioned the track. No one has posted here for a while. Lakeshore has since come out with wider tracks that should make a bunch of you who siad it was too narrow happy. I'm just wondering if anyone else had input on Lakeshore. I know RCP is extremely well supported here and I'm looking into their tracks as well as a matter of fact he emailed me yesterday with some pirces and stuff which I'm reviewing. i just want to make an educated decision, as I am new to this whole thing. I'm still waiting for my (probably going to get in trouble again) two Iwaver 02's to come. I need a track that I can reconfigure fast and can use in my basement which is carpeted. I figure i have about 14' by 12' of room. Lakeshore has some nice options for that size track. Not sure if the narrow or wider track is the best way to go. I do not forsee ever having more than 4 cars running on it at any one time. Both RCP and Lakehsore seem to be moving ahead with new ideas and additions to their tracks, ie. banked curves, wider tracks, different grip levels. Lakeshore seems to have a few more additons..like tunnels, lights, jumps, pinch sections, zig zags, brdiges, 4 way intesections, T-intersections, drag sections coming, mountains coming. RCP has banked curves witht he ability to change the bank angle, a more well supported brand, ability to change widths.

Again, Im just trying to get as much info as possible before I throuw down a few nudred bucks, which to me is worth it for lack of time and ease of set up and the ability to change it up. i know many people prefer to build their own. I don't have time for that.

I would love to hear from anyone that has the Lakeshore Tracks. I have read many of the RCP track comments but not too many people with Lakeshores. Lakeshore has added so much more than what you guys were talking about back in November and December. Don't grill me to much i just believe there's nothing wrong with searching for info and asking questions.

Shelby
2005.03.11, 10:46 AM
This is a no brainer. Go with rcp. The Lakeshore is too toy like. rcp is a professional track and is about half the cost of the similar cut and glued fatigue track that Lakeshore sells. If you want toy tunnels and stuff you can make that at home.

arch2b
2005.03.11, 11:15 AM
well, this being a lakeshore thread, i would hope that no one would give you a hard time. opinions are always welcome, flaming products is not.

i don't think anything has come of rcp's offer to meet the guy who bought a lakeshore track... and the manufac. hasn't posted in awhile :( i have a hard time understanding why competing products can not coexist on the forum without the bitterness.

deputydog336
2005.03.11, 11:19 AM
Thanks for your input shelby. It just appears with the wider track they are offering now and a new grip surface they might be upgrading. I fully take all the members knowledge of RCP track to heart and believe it is a great product. But I am hoping to get some knowledge of those who have used or own Lakeshores product especiialy if any has seen, used, or own the new wide track or grip. Also I am looking at this from a family fun perspective not a professional or club race perspective. the only people I'll be racing is freinds and family, and they'll be using my cars as so far no other friends have an mini z's.

TNB
2005.03.11, 11:29 AM
I offered to drive to California so I could compare the Lakeshore track to the RCP track, but I guess it was a no-go. I don't know about your "friends and family" but the competitive spirt may be brought out on the race track. Zoom, Zoom. Good luck and have fun whichever choice you make.

deputydog336
2005.03.11, 11:50 AM
I'm sure our "Friendly" races will get competitive. I'm just saying I dont know if I need the most professional type of track on the market, or the ones that the clubs race on. Like many people have said its all about having fun. I'm probably a month off from buying and will take that time to elicit as much response and info I can. Not to mention I'm still waiting for my Iwaivers...all I got now is my two piece of crap HeiPao huge mistakes that I wrote about in another thread( Stop laughing so hard!!! :D ) So until I get my Iwaivers I dont need a track so I've got time on my side.

deputydog336
2005.03.11, 10:25 PM
I emailed Lakeshore and asked a bunch of questions and stuff. the guy was really cool and got back to me almost right away. He was really interested in my qustiions and comments. He seems to be truly intrested in what customers want and what he need to do to keep costomers happy. Sounds like what RCP does too. I also went onto ebay which appears that they have sold 38 tracks. I emailed a few of the people who left feedback and from the three I got replys back from already the gist was that they love their tracks and are looking to add more pieces.

I will say one guy who runs Xmods says his orginal track is two narrow at 24 inches so he was going ot buy another Lakeshore double wide track which they now offer.

Just thought guys might like some additonal info. As for me I'm still debating the issue. Sounds like customers of both companies our happy and having fun!

Shelby
2005.03.12, 01:20 AM
Going on the chance you are still undecided, here are some comparisons on the two tracks that I came up with. Lets say for this comparison that the fun factor is equal and we are talking double wide lanes. MZR any chance I could get a commission for this sale, just kidding.

Lakeshore
per tile and wall -------$9.50 (shipping included in price)
tile edge cut off and glued on mat to make outer wall
No way to take wall off to use opposite side
Wall thickness 1/2"- 1”
Wall height ¾”
No painted finish line
number of diff. surfaces per track---one
Ability to adjust lane width----none
No return policy all sales final

RCP
Per tileand wall------4.97 (shipping included in price) * from mzr, don’t know about the others
Outer wall made from separate material with link at ends to match tile below
Able to remove wall to use other side or for storge
Wall thickness 2”
Wall height 1 1/2" (3”double wall coming soon, from post by rcp in another thread)
Painted finish line on both sides
Return policy, unknown.
number of diff. surfaces per track---two
ability to adjust lane width---yes
Available from the best mini-z forum site out there. (sorry, going for that commission.)

Sorry if any of my calculations are off a little. Going off website info and past threads. Please correct me if I am at error. I have two rcp tracks that I bought at mzr, so I know this info good.

TNB
2005.03.12, 09:58 AM
I also went onto ebay which appears that they have sold 38 tracks. . . Sounds like customers of both companies our happy and having fun!
So are all these people Xmod customers? I'm just wondering since they don't appear to be posting on this forum. If they are posting on the Xmod forum, I wonder what the Radio Shack people think since Radio Shack sells the 50cm wide lane RCP Tracks with the Xmod logo on it, not Lakeshore Tracks.

deputydog336
2005.03.12, 10:11 AM
Shelby that as probably the best comparison I've seen yet. I'm totally undecided on what I want to do I'm now thinking i'm probably going to wait until like May to buy what ever track I'm going o go with. I've just been looking for an honest comparison, which I think yours was really good. In my opinion as a new member it seems like this forum would never accept another track and might be giving other options no chance at all. I just thought they both look good in their own way and wanted to see what people truly thought. Unfortunetly most people here that have been totlly bashing Lakeshore have never rced on one or even seen one and are basing information on what was available months ago, and if you went to their site again you would see they added a bunch. I thought it was worth to look at all my options and then try to see whta people thought. Since only like maybe 1 or 2 people have written saying they have a Lakeshore I thoguht I'd try to talk to some more actual owners which is why I went to ebay and started emailing people who have bought their poducts. I printed out al of RCPs info from their site the other day and I've actually already started lookign t what kind of their designs I could do in my space. I think a forum is for open discussion and not just bashing stuff people don't really have any idea about. i have been kicking around trying to get a hold of o piece or two of each and see what I think when its in my hand . I also got ahold of a sample of Regupol ( which I posted in another thread) and may consider just building my own. I just like the advantage of being able to change it up which is why I've leaned to a commercial track.

TNB
2005.03.12, 10:20 AM
Unfortunetly most people here that have been totlly bashing Lakeshore have never rced on one or even seen one and are basing information on what was available months ago, and if you went to their site again you would see they added a bunch.
As mentioned before, I offered to drive to California and try one out. If I recall correctly there were others and RCP even offered to let a supposed Lakeshore owner try his track out as well. Quite frankly, I heard the same argument from Xmod owners to Kyosho Mini-Z owners who never owned Kyosho Mini-Zs. Then I purchased an Xmod and those arguments (which weren't debates) stopped, because I owned both though the results and my opinions were the same. And if LakeShore changed their tracks and "added a bunch" it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't due to negative feed back, negative results in testing, or even simple physics. However, don't let my opinion prevent you from purchasing a Lakeshore Track. By all means, I hope you purchase one. Then perhaps you'll actually post videos unlike some of these other supposed owners and provide some non-bias feedback. Of course, using your own logic you'll also need to race on an RCP Track too besides just crusing over to Elburn and checking out a LakeShore Track.

Just curious, have you been there since you apparently live in Chicago? Perhaps, you can just cruise over there an pick up that Road Couse (16 feet x 24 feet) layout marked down from $1151.04 at $816.00. After all, that sale price is just slightly higher than the price of 4L RCP Track 50cm tile tracks.

Here is an example of a 4L RCP Track. It was locally owned and used for the 2003 Kyosho USA Mini-Z-Cup so it can handle Kyosho Mini-Zs just fine. There are also more photos in Gallery TNB.
http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album285/RCzTrack3

deputydog336
2005.03.12, 10:27 AM
So are all these people Xmod customers? I'm just wondering since they don't appear to be posting on this forum. If they are posting on the Xmod forum, I wonder what the Radio Shack people think since Radio Shack sells the 50cm wide lane RCP Tracks with the Xmod logo on it, not Lakeshore Tracks.

I emailed five of Lakeshore's customers and got three responses thus far. Two guys loved their track, the one guy runs mini z, and the other one runs mini z and xmods. The third response said that they really liked the track and it was fun but since he runs only xmods with not as good turning ability he thought the original track was a bit narrow and he was lookign in to buying Lakeshore's new double wide track, which has four foot wide lanes, which I think is wide enough for almost anything you want to do, i haven't really seen anything much wider thn taht if at all. Then I got an email from Lakeshore's owner where he sent me another reply he got from a guy who bought the double wide track who said he loved it and has mini zs, iwavers, and xmods. he sent it to me because I asked about responses of double wide track customers. I take that one with a grain of salt since he could have just typed it himself, but all the other were postive responses.

I think you will find no matter who you talk to that no matter wht track you buy or build yourself, that thy love the tracks. Tracks of any kind make the sport fun. It doesn't matter if you build one from carpet, tar paper, wood, regupol, or anything else or buy a several hundred dollar large commercial track. The tracks increase your fun a 100 fold.

My goal is to just find the best set up for my space, ideas, time I have available, and budget. I'm probably willing to spend more than alot of th other guys are willing to but being set up a track quick and take it down when I'm done is worth the extra cost. I do not have an area right now to set up a more permanent track. I also don't have the time right now to build a really nice track, which is the only way I would build is to go all out, with grass, buildings, and stuff. I'm rebuilding my whole 1st floor of my house and redoing my kitchen which takes most of my time from my job where I work a rotating schedule and I'm on call 24 hrs a day 365 days a year.

jaubery
2005.03.12, 10:35 AM
deputydog336,

I understand what your going thru. I have an rcp wide L and would like a track that is more technical, more elaborate, and more realistic looking. I do like the jumps, pit kit, pinch sections, banked turns, starting zone, tunnel, zig zag, etc...of the lakeshore track but I am concerned that the 24 inch lane (useable 22 inches because of guard rails) will be too tight. The rcp track is 6 inches wider (useable width) and when 5 of my friends are racing with me we use every inch. Here's my dilema, I could spend $120 on the cheapest lakeshore track and try it or I could spend $150 on a wide oval and combine it with my wide L. Another deciding factor will be the upcoming lap timing system. If Lakeshore's is a better value than what core's is I'll probably go with Lakeshore.

deputydog336
2005.03.12, 10:46 AM
As mentioned before, I offered to drive to California and try one out. If I recall correctly there were others and RCP even offered to let a supposed Lakeshore owner try his track out as well. Quite frankly, I heard the same argument from Xmod owners to Kyosho Mini-Z owners who never owned Kyosho Mini-Zs. Then I purchased an Xmod and those arguments (which weren't debates) stopped, because I owned both though the results and my opinions were the same. And if LakeShore changed their tracks and "added a bunch" it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't due to negative feed back, negative results in testing, or even simple physics. However, don't let my opinion prevent you from purchasing a Lakeshore Track. By all means, I hope you purchase one. Then perhaps you'll actually post videos unlike some of these other supposed owners and provide some non-bias feedback. Of course, using your own logic you'll also need to race on an RCP Track too besides just crusing over to Elburn and checking out a LakeShore Track.

Just curious, have you been there since you apparently live in Chicago? Perhaps, you can just cruise over there an pick up that Road Couse (16 feet x 24 feet) layout marked down from $1151.04 at $816.00. After all, that sale price is just slightly higher than the price of 4L RCP Track 50cm tile tracks.

I have not been out there to Lakeshore their warehouse is like two hours from me. Althougn it could be a plus as I could probably save on shipping. I'll admite that prices are kinda high. I will say if your comparing all of it then the Lakeshore track you mention has 48" wide lanes compared to 33" for the wide Ls you mention. I know RCP has expansion packs so you may have to do that.

How much track length would you get from 4 wide Ls?? You might be totally correct that for the money I could get way more track from RCP thats some of the info I'm trying to find out and haven't sat down to compute it all yet. If you read my last post I talked about that I dont have much free time which is why I also haven't had any time to drive the 2 hours to Lakeshore.

Let me say again I'm not for or against ny track just the search for info. I've written tons about Lakeshore since I became a member because I don't think they get a fair shake on thsi forum. Maybe they don't deserve it i don't know yet. I would love to try an RCP track like you mentioned. if there's anyone here that has an rCP in the Chicagoland area that would let me try that would be great. My problem with trying any track is I dont even have my cars yet my 2 Iwavers are in shipment now. I'm just trying to do research on track snow before I get them, as I am lookign to buy in a few months.

As far as Lakeshore offering stuff because of negative feedback thats all in how you read ino it. Both RCP and Lakeshore have been adding new pieces, designs, upgrades, whatever you want to call it based on customer feedback, what customers want, what products will sell, what products are doable. RCP has threads and posts all over thsi forum about new ideas. Those ideas i'm sure came from feedback from customers and this forum. Whether you want to call it feedback, customer ideas, or negative feedback, I think its all what the comapnies do to make their customers happy just as RCP has been upgrading what he offers so has Lakeshore. I also emailed Lakeshore with ideas ranging from the painted start/finish lines ( they offer a start finsh pillar sign thing) banked curves wher the angles can be changed, painted starting grids on the track, 45 degree turns(instead of just 90 degree turns) to give you more variety in angles and angles of turns. Variety, additions, and feedback that is taken seriously and companies who act on that feedback is what makes companies and their products great. I hope both companies will continue to expand their poduct line and make this whole sport better.

deputydog336
2005.03.12, 10:53 AM
deputydog336,

I understand what your going thru. I have an rcp wide L and would like a track that is more technical, more elaborate, and more realistic looking. I do like the jumps, pit kit, pinch sections, banked turns, starting zone, tunnel, zig zag, etc...of the lakeshore track but I am concerned that the 24 inch lane (useable 22 inches because of guard rails) will be too tight. The rcp track is 6 inches wider (useable width) and when 5 of my friends are racing with me we use every inch. Here's my dilema, I could spend $120 on the cheapest lakeshore track and try it or I could spend $150 on a wide oval and combine it with my wide L. Another deciding factor will be the upcoming lap timing system. If Lakeshore's is a better value than what core's is I'll probably go with Lakeshore.

Jaubery, If you have RCP and like it I'd probably just add on. Due to expense its hard to spend money to switch, which is exactly why I'm putting so much time and effort into looking into the whole thing. I too like the variety of sections availbale form lakeshore like you mentioned. But i'm looking for the best overall track. Have you thought of the double wide from lakeshore? It gives you tons of racing space but it might be just too wide for my space being the track is 48" which is 15" wider than RCP. A lap timing system would be awesome but I think that would be a ways down the road for me, if ever. I think its worth the time and effort to find what's best for each individual, we all like different things, different surfaces, homemade, commercial whatver. Its about having fun. If you do go with Lakeshore I'd be happy to hear your thoughts. If you add on to your rCP I'd be happy to hear your thoughts to see how much more you like it after adding on.

deputydog336
2005.03.12, 10:56 AM
Here is an example of a 4L RCP Track. It was locally owned and used for the 2003 Kyosho USA Mini-Z-Cup so it can handle Kyosho Mini-Zs just fine. There are also more photos in Gallery TNB.
http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album285/RCzTrack3[/QUOTE]

TNB, do you know what the set up size of the 4L track is total length and width? It looks really nice. i will not say anything bad about the RCP it looks like a great track. I will also say that the Lakeshore onwer also said that he had nothing to say bad about the rCP tracks and he said they have a great track. He just thinks he has a great track too that is different then RCPs.

TNB
2005.03.12, 11:11 AM
I will say if your comparing all of it then the Lakeshore track you mention has 48" wide lanes compared to 33" for the wide Ls you mention. I know RCP has expansion packs so you may have to do that.
According to the conversion link below, a 50cm tile is equal to 19.69 inches. Each 50cm tile RCP Track uses two tiles or 19.69" x 2 for almost 40" or 3.28 feet per lane (less railing for actually lane width). Of course, additional 50cm blanks can be added so in theory, the RCP Track can accommodate any scale car. By the way, the Mini-Tile 96 uses 30cm tiles.
http://www.sciencemadesimple.net/length.php
How much track length would you get from 4 wide Ls??
I linked a photo of a 4L above. I can't remember how many straight tiles are in a 1L, but Kyosho Japan shows that the required space for a 1L is approximately 4 x 6m. http://www.kyosho.co.jp/main-e.html The MZR shops shows 9'8" x 12'11" surface area for a 1L. http://mini-zracer.com/shop/product.php?pid=823 I'll let you do the additional math.
if there's anyone here that has an rCP in the Chicagoland area that would let me try that would be great.

That would be great for you in my opinion, and likewise, if there was someone with a Lakeshore track here and they let me run on it, I'd be willing.
I also emailed Lakeshore with ideas...
Did you do the same thing with RCP Tracks? Myself, I don't think I have ever emailed a manufacturer with ideas prior to even owning their product.

TNB
2005.03.12, 11:22 AM
If you add on to your rCP I'd be happy to hear your thoughts to see how much more you like it after adding on.
Not trying to beat a dead horse to death, but if you look in Gallery TNB, you'll see how much fun I've had with RCP Tracks. ;)

Zrc
2005.03.12, 11:30 AM
Wow..I never thought this thread would get this long ! :D Here's a couple of thoughts after I made the decision to go with RCP (I'm in the process of buying my first track) No matter how silly or stupid my criteria sound....I thought it might help you.
1. Lakeshore only available in Grey color.
2. 2 surfaces available but only as seperate tracks. Also, these 2 surfaces are not suggested to be used together as fit is poor.
3. Lakeshore recommends foam tires
4. more expensive than RCP
5. Less widely used , particularly at sanctioned events
6. John is fantastic to talk to (only guy I know who talks faster than I do :D )and is an active participant in this forum.
7. RCP is willing to work one on one with a customers special needs IE: custom cutting of track pieces. (I asked about a wide radius oval track)

Hope this helps a bit. I looked long and hard at Lakeshore not only for personal but for commercial purposes. By supporting RCP I believe I'll be helping to further the interest in Z cars because they are working to the same end.

deputydog336
2005.03.12, 11:33 AM
TNB,

I looked at the picture it looks cool. I have not emailed RCP with ideas at this point as it seems from me searching through the forum that evryone here gives him ideas all the time. Since Lakeshore isn't here like it has been pointed out to me very clearly. I emailed him instead as I dont know what feeback ideas they get. Where here I've been able to read some of what people have written to RCP. There's nothing wrong with giving a company ideas if it will help improve a product you are considering. I would not think that anyone in the mini z world would mine companies trying to improve products that our available for what we enjoy. Plus I wanted to see how they would respond to my ideas, which I've said before is a sign of what kind of company they are. You guys love RCP because he is here and responds to all your comments and stuff and offers great support. So I decided to take that approach with Lakeshore which I would do on this forum if he was here, but since he ain't I emailed him.

deputydog336
2005.03.12, 11:35 AM
Well things just changed I better continue my pursuit for what track I want. The doorbell just rang it was the mailman delivering my Iwavers from TE a week early!!!!!!! :D :eek: :D :D :D :D

TNB
2005.03.12, 11:39 AM
Zrc,
See what you started. ;)

DD336,
Regarding which ever purchase you decide to make, have fun and provide "us" with feedback. If you do decide on a LakeShore Track, link some videos. And have fun with your Iwavers.

deputydog336
2005.03.12, 11:41 AM
Wow..I never thought this thread would get this long ! :D Here's a couple of thoughts after I made the decision to go with RCP (I'm in the process of buying my first track) No matter how silly or stupid my criteria sound....I thought it might help you.
1. Lakeshore only available in Grey color.
2. 2 surfaces available but only as seperate tracks. Also, these 2 surfaces are not suggested to be used together as fit is poor.
3. Lakeshore recommends foam tires
4. more expensive than RCP
5. Less widely used , particularly at sanctioned events
6. John is fantastic to talk to (only guy I know who talks faster than I do :D )and is an active participant in this forum.
7. RCP is willing to work one on one with a customers special needs IE: custom cutting of track pieces. (I asked about a wide radius oval track)

Hope this helps a bit. I looked long and hard at Lakeshore not only for personal but for commercial purposes. By supporting RCP I believe I'll be helping to further the interest in Z cars because they are working to the same end.

Thanks ZRC I like when someone takes a realistic type approach and explains a little more why he made the choice he did. thanks for the input.

Zrc
2005.03.12, 11:55 AM
Not a problem. I started this thread for the same purpose as your questions......to weigh the available options and try not to make a bad first purchase which could ultimately lead to my losing interest in this part of the hobby. Coming from the 1/10 scale racing world and being a racedirector for our club....one of the worst problems I see is people making rash purchases (usually due to peer pressure)and then getting frustrated to the point of quitting because they didn't get the results they were hoping for. Good Luck whichever way you go and don't be afraid to post comments about any purchase you make.

Shelby
2005.03.12, 12:01 PM
:eek: [QUOTE=deputydog336] I've written tons about Lakeshore since I became a member because I don't think they get a fair shake on thsi forum. QUOTE]

Ddog..... are you really looking for a track or not? I kinda get the feeling you had your mind made up before your first post. :confused: You would think anyone in there right mind that could get all the features of the rcp at half the cost would jump all over it. You seem to have transformed from a noobie looking for some track purchasing advice, to a Lakeshore salesman or something.

arch2b
2005.03.12, 12:31 PM
the lakeshore guy used to post her but some overzealous rcp fans tended to give him a hard time. it just didn't go smoothly. again, i don't see why competitive products can't coexist on this forum. we all praise rcp for his commitment and envolvement here yet when other guys come here they tend to get treated poorly at times as evident in some of the lakeshore threads where the friendly talk wasn't always friendly. it usually involved some for of one-up-manship or the like (no placing blame, it just was...)

to those who have or will buy this track system, please post pictures and video. it's hard to comment on things we can't or don't see much of :p

Shelby
2005.03.12, 02:25 PM
I agree with you…products should be able to coexist on this forum , kinda like Iwaver and Kyosho and that is why I made a nice comparison chart a few threads back. I think rcp has pretty much set the standard for linking fatigue mat type tracks. They got everything covered when it comes to grip, no grip, some grip all in one track. They got the biggest side rails and the biggest endorsements like Kyosho , rs,mzr and ( just recently I read PN Racing). At this stage of the game I think it would be pretty tough almost next to impossible for someone to get into the antifatigue mat track business and think they are going to get a strong commitment base, especially at double the cost of what is already available. I think you got to come up with something very different or a lot better and cut your prices to half of what is already out there, to even have a chance of converting current rcp users from here or for that matter myself, to the other side of the fence. ........ On a similar note, Iwaver copied the Kyosho design, with less quality pieces and parts, like lakeshore did with the rcp design, but they are charging half the price of the higher quality Kyosho car. This is why they are slowly building a strong commitment base,. I don’t think Iwaver would be anywhere they are today if they where charging the same or double what Kyosho is charging. Just my 2 cents.

deputydog336
2005.03.12, 02:44 PM
:eek: [QUOTE=deputydog336] I've written tons about Lakeshore since I became a member because I don't think they get a fair shake on thsi forum. QUOTE]

Ddog..... are you really looking for a track or not? I kinda get the feeling you had your mind made up before your first post. :confused: You would think anyone in there right mind that could get all the features of the rcp at half the cost would jump all over it. You seem to have transformed from a noobie looking for some track purchasing advice, to a Lakeshore salesman or something.

Shelby,

I'm not a Lakeshore salesman by any stratch. My first two Iwavers just came today..other than my huge HeiPao error I made in Decmeber which i wrote in another thread I haven't owned an RC car since I was like 14 years old. (30 now) I have never seen a Lakeshore or RCP track in y life and haven't been in a hobby store in like 4-5 years. I got excited about the idea of getting into this just before Christmas when I started buying stuff on ebay and found mini-zs. I started looking around at the cars and stuff and I came accross the Lakeshore track, which at the time not having seen any other real option sother than a few pics of homemade tracks I thought wow thats exactly what Ineed to make this whole mini z thing fun for me and eventually my son who is way too young right now. When I started digging into a bit more saw the crap HeiPaos and finally decided to go ahead and order two Iwavers is when i became a member. At that time if you look from my first couple postings I had barely seen an RCP other than I found some link to it at RadioShack. So yes I came into this with kinda a first impression that Lakeshore was good from then until now I've had only good intentions to try to find out what way to go. I'm willing to spend maybe 300-500 dollars to buy a track who knows maybe more maybe less. I cant go to nuts yet as I would like to get two more cars too. When i got on hear and first mentioned Lakeshore it seemed like I was attacked which is not what I expcted from joining an open forum for mini z racing. I have since read alot more about RCP and have emailed him and printed out all the info from their webiste. Im am trying to decide I like the extra things like bridges and stuff that lakeshore has but Im not sure about the width. Dont think I can afford the double wide. I just dont like guys cutting something to shreads when tehy've had no experience with it. You've never seen me say one bad thing about RCP. I may just go ahead and do the RCP. Im going to get my Iwavers running and try driving them in smaller width pattrens and see what I think. gotta go for now more to come.

Shelby
2005.03.12, 03:05 PM
I agree with you…products should be able to coexist on this forum , kinda like Iwaver and Kyosho and that is why I made a nice comparison chart a few threads back. I think rcp has pretty much set the standard for linking fatigue mat type tracks. They got everything covered when it comes to grip, no grip, some grip all in one track. They got the biggest side rails and the biggest endorsements like Kyosho , rs,mzr and ( just recently I read PN Racing). At this stage of the game I think it would be pretty tough almost next to impossible for someone to get into the antifatigue mat track business and think they are going to get a strong commitment base, especially at double the cost of what is already available. I think you got to come up with something very different or a lot better and cut your prices to half of what is already out there, to even have a chance of converting current rcp users from here or for that matter myself, to the other side of the fence. ........ On a similar note, Iwaver copied the Kyosho design, with less quality pieces and parts, like lakeshore did with the rcp design, but they are charging half the price of the higher quality Kyosho car. This is why they are slowly building a strong commitment base,. I don’t think Iwaver would be anywhere they are today if they where charging the same or double what Kyosho is charging. Just my 2 cents.

No ones attacking you! You mean tnb, thats just the way he is. This is a great forum with great discussions. No nead to feel offended. I think things are going just to fast for you right now. Step back, take a deep breath and wait to buy a track for awhile. You might want to sample one of each first. Try getting some sample pieces from Lakeshore and rcp or try to find someone near you that will let you test it out. That is the only way you are really going to be comfortable with your purchase. Peace!

You may want to look in the events section here at mzr. There seem to be a lot of races going on that are using the rcp tracks. You may find one close to your home and be able to run some laps.

deputydog336
2005.03.12, 04:24 PM
No ones attacking you! You mean tnb, thats just the way he is. This is a great forum with great discussions. No nead to feel offended. I think things are going just to fast for you right now. Step back, take a deep breath and wait to buy a track for awhile. You might want to sample one of each first. Try getting some sample pieces from Lakeshore and rcp or try to find someone near you that will let you test it out. That is the only way you are really going to be comfortable with your purchase. Peace!

You may want to look in the events section here at mzr. There seem to be a lot of races going on that are using the rcp tracks. You may find one close to your home and be able to run some laps.

Might be the best idea yet..but im pretty excited to start racing. I will do my best and maybe I can find some tracks near me

TNB
2005.03.12, 08:57 PM
No ones attacking you! You mean tnb, thats just the way he is.
It must be since I didn't attack anyone (or anything lately, nor did the attack cats for that matter) and I didn't even ask whether or not this was another sales pitch. As I wrote before, I'd hope someone, anyone for that matter, purchases a LakeShore Track and provides an unbias opinion along with some video of the RC cars actually running on the track. And if the owner of the LakeShore track was close to me, I'd be happy to run on their track and I'd probably let them run on my RCP Track. Either way, it would be great to have someone with some RCP Track experience run on a LakeShore Track. And as far as that goes, I've pretty much extended an open invitation to the MZR members to run on my track as long as the warehouse is available. However, the days are numbered and I don't expect to have use of the warehouse past mid-April. Then next week, I may be running Kyosho Mini-Zs in Utah and then there is the Rialto, California race fast approaching.

joseph
2005.03.13, 05:30 AM
Hey D whats going on brotha sorry i havent been in contact with ive been really busy at work seven days a week i'll give you a call if i get this weekend off hopefully i miss running z's with you i;ll call you later Joe :D :D It must be since I didn't attack anyone (or anything lately, nor did the attack cats for that matter) and I didn't even ask whether or not this was another sales pitch. As I wrote before, I'd hope someone, anyone for that matter, purchases a LakeShore Track and provides an unbias opinion along with some video of the RC cars actually running on the track. And if the owner of the LakeShore track was close to me, I'd be happy to run on their track and I'd probably let them run on my RCP Track. Either way, it would be great to have someone with some RCP Track experience run on a LakeShore Track. And as far as that goes, I've pretty much extended an open invitation to the MZR members to run on my track as long as the warehouse is available. However, the days are numbered and I don't expect to have use of the warehouse past mid-April. Then next week, I may be running Kyosho Mini-Zs in Utah and then there is the Rialto, California race fast approaching.

TNB
2005.03.13, 01:16 PM
Hey D whats going on brotha sorry i havent been in contact with ive been really busy at work seven days a week i'll give you a call if i get this weekend off hopefully i miss running z's with you i;ll call you later Joe :D :D
No problem. I changed the RCP Track layout this morning (Large Layout No 18). New photos are now in Gallery TNB.

Ryan Gardner
2005.03.13, 10:42 PM
Then next week, I may be running Kyosho Mini-Zs in Utah.

Not to get too far off topic, but where are you running in Utah, and when?

To get it back on topic: I found the website for lakeshore track first, and thought it looked cool - but the price is insane.

deputydog336
2005.03.13, 10:48 PM
[QUOTE=
To get it back on topic: I found the website for lakeshore track first, and thought it looked cool - but the price is insane.[/QUOTE]

I think the look is what grabbed my attention but I'm really starting to lean to the RCP the more and more threads and posts I read all over the forum.

TNB - I got a question which I also posted elsewhere, since it seems like you set up your track all the time in numerous different ways. The space I'll be able to use is like 14' by 14' what would you suggest to buy if money isnt the object . Im guessing two wide L's would be plenty probably wouldnt use it all? I saw your pics where you added a wod bridge...that is totally something I'd love to do to add track in the space. It appears the rCP track holds up to lifting it off the ground like that to get up to the bridge level? or do you support it somehow? I'm trying to create a cool design and I thought the track could run on two levels like running a section under the brisge and stuff.

TNB
2005.03.13, 11:35 PM
RG,
This coming Saturady at 8AM (your time) - Radio Shack in Cedar City, Utah. There is only one in town and it is in a shopping center near a supermarket.

DD386,
I would start off with at least 2Ls if not 3Ls.

The bridge and raised elevations used in some of my track layouts are quite a chore to set up because of the angles. For example, if the angle is too steep going up, an F1 could get hung up because it is so long or if a Z is too fast, it will jump. Don't get me wrong, jumping can be loads of fun too. However, it's even worse if the angle is too steep on the exit side since a Z will flip and tumble end over end. At least on the entrance, some of the Zs will soar onto the track. The Enzo works great for this while the new BMW drops like a lead weight since the nose appears to be so heavy. Of course, I also cut RCP Track tiles to fit the wooden bridge and used RCP Track barrier rails on the plexiglass bridge. I also used bricks to lift the wooden bridge, used the plexiglass bridge upside down to make the entrance of one elevated "hill" and some very long pieces of wood (two sections) raised with bricks for the elevated straight. In addition, I used duct tape underneath to help make sure the tiles remain well connected from the floor level tiles all the way across the bridges to the other side. Right now, most of the 40' straight is still duct taped underneath.

By the way, one bad thing about running under a bridge or something is that the bridge itself can obstruct the driver's view. However, everyone who has ran on my track with the exception of one person didn't appear to mind. The plexiglass bridge is not bad, but there is some glare and I've only ran the OLs and MMTs on that bridge. It has a nice "sliding" effect if one hits the throttle too hard.

Lots of photos in Gallery TNB. ;)

Good luck in your choice and have fun either way.

deputydog336
2005.03.14, 08:52 AM
Thanks TNB sounds like some work but hey if I ever get some time it lookms cool. I looked at a bunch of your pics in the gallery they look great. Hope to be up and running soon.

TNB
2005.03.14, 11:29 AM
Looking forward to the photos. If you can't tell, I enjoy taking photos of the track almost as much as running on it. Well perhaps not almost, but I enjoy taking the photos. ;)

TNB
2005.03.14, 03:53 PM
RG,
This coming Saturady at 8AM (your time) - Radio Shack in Cedar City, Utah. There is only one in town and it is in a shopping center near a supermarket.
Bad news, I just got off of the phone recently and the Shack event is a no-go for this coming Saturday. It looks like yours truely will remain here and run on his own track.

Shelby
2005.03.19, 11:25 PM
I was serching another site and found this Lakeshore review. May or may not help you with your decision.

[i] Initially, after driving the track, I hated it. My car would not go straight, and it is a VERY narrow track, really. 3 feet wide would be ideal. However, I readjusted my drive train tension all around and put on foams. The experience is much improved. I can drift again + I have adjusted my track to take better advantage of drifting and the banks at appropriate times.
One thing: the bridge really isn't worth it, IMO. It's just a bunch of supports + it's a low bridge than can hang heavy antennas. My bro and I made a much better bridge with couch cushions and DVD cases.
His Kyosho Mini-Z can't handle the track for anything, though. He needs foam + the lack of AWD kills him. If you go full throttle on that track, you will 180 within 3 inches of driving.

[i]
Well, I asked Lakeshore for a return. I decided that it is really too narrow + its inability to handle rear wheel cars makes it difficult. My car handles really well with foam tires, but it's a decked out car. The other cars I'm running aren't faring as well. I'm gonna end up going with a wider track,either the radio shack or rcp after checking specs and getting some closeup looks at the tracks with cars on them. I like RS's dual-sided surface...would give me some flexibility depending on whom I race (my brother's Kyosho is really undrivable on the track right now...any kind of throttle on it spins it out).
The jump wouldn't handle the bridge (too low), but it is great as a hazard *under the bridge*. It comes off a banked turn directly under the bridge, but if you don't cut the turn right, you jump up under the bridge, coming out unpredictably. Makes for a neat twist.
All in all, I like a lot of the stuff, but I think it's better suited for 1/32 scale than 1/24 or 1/28.

bda52
2005.03.20, 12:55 AM
I am assuming that the reviewer was driving an Xmod. Unless he did the steering fet upgrade there is no way he could have been getting around the narrow Lakeshore track. I say this because I tried my Dad's Xmod (stage 1, AWD) on my RCP. I still could not get it to make those turns on the textured grip side. And that was at slow speeds. When I first tired I went in the corner as fast as that little car could go. Thank gosh RCP has "SAFER" barriers!

will3kgt
2005.03.20, 04:00 AM
Here's my two cents:
1. Most competitive events are on RCP tracks. (If indoors.)
2. 95% of the racers on this site would all suggest RCP (The other 5% haven't raced on RCP.)
3. Just the fact that Arch2b & TNB race RCP is good enough for me.
4. The best racers in North America, Asia, & Europe all race on RCP tracks.
5. I race on a RCP track every Sunday at my local Hobbyshop in MI & if Hobbytown is willing to drop $900 on an RCP track to hold its competitive races then that's what's I'm going to buy when I'm ready to drop $100-$500 on track.
6. RCP tracks are wider. (I also race my X-Ray on my local track.)
7. I don't see too many Lakeshore tracks on mini-z/x-mod galleries.
8. How much are Lakeshore tracks compared to RCP tracks? (That alone should end this debate.)
9. I run my 3x2 fetted IW-02 w/xspeed pro motor on an RCP track with no handling problems, I doubt I could do that on a Lakeshore track. And since all sales are final, I'm not going to spend over $100 to find out.
10. My final thought: Mini-zs are to RCPs what X-mods are to Lakeshore tracks.
*This is just my opinion. (Which is shared by many other experienced racers.)

jaubery
2005.03.20, 09:18 AM
I am assuming that the reviewer was driving an Xmod. Unless he did the steering fet upgrade there is no way he could have been getting around the narrow Lakeshore track. I say this because I tried my Dad's Xmod (stage 1, AWD) on my RCP. I still could not get it to make those turns on the textured grip side. And that was at slow speeds. When I first tired I went in the corner as fast as that little car could go. Thank gosh RCP has "SAFER" barriers!

I read and replied to the original thread that was posted on tinyrc. I am aware of what the reviewer was going thru when he posted. He was using an xmod. He bought the lakeshore track with the original surface not the grip surface. As far as driving an xmod with awd on an rcp track, it is no problem when the car is properly set up.

arch2b
2005.03.20, 09:39 AM
...My final thought: Mini-zs are to RCPs what X-mods are to Lakeshore tracks.
while this seems to be a fair analogy in my opinion, it does not invalidate the lakeshore track as a legitimate product. xmods are still a good car for the money (i'd still buy an iwaver over an xmod but that is neither here nor there) as i'm sure the lakeshore tracks are for those that buy them.

(not directed to anyone in particular)
i'm am very happy to see opinions expressed this time around without the animosity and the "my dad can beat up you dad" mentality. try to keep in mind that we want other manufacturer's to be as forth coming as rcp, and it doesn't help them or us if we make it a hostile atmosphere for them here.
just had to get the public service announcement out of the way :)

Shelby
2005.03.20, 10:09 AM
Here's my two cents:
sales are final, I'm not going to spend over $100 to find out.
10. My final thought: Mini-zs are to RCPs what X-mods are to Lakeshore tracks.

.....I agree RCP's appear to be on a far different level than the Lakeshore. I was sold on the RCP along time ago. The comparison of Lakeshores to X-mods may be similar except one thing. The X-mods are half the cost of Mini-z's and the Lakeshore is almost twice the cost of an rcp. Something is backwards there. If you really wanted something like the Lakeshore, couldn't you just cut edges and curves in exercise mats and then glue the scrap pieces on the sides? Lakeshore is charging alot of money to do this for you.

Calgary_Racer
2005.03.21, 08:20 PM
I have to congratulate all the companies that are making of this hobby a better experience. However I find that in many areas, including tracks, we are a long way behind other countries / parts of the world. Apparently, some people believe that certain North American tracks are the only option and are the preferred track surface around the world. Please think again. Search for any Northern Europe tracks (Norway, Sweden, Germany, etc) and you will see how a good track should look (and perform). Keep looking for other European tracks, particularly in Spain. You are now in what may be the largest market in the world and Spaniards do not like foam tracks at all, either. If you do not believe me go to the Mini-Z World Cup organized by pnracing and have a look at the races that have been confirmed so far. 15 in Spain alone, 14 in the rest of the world. If you speak some Spanish you can check some of their forums (i.e. minizz) as well for an enriching experience.
Hopefuly, good news will arrive to this part of the world as well.

bda52
2005.03.21, 09:03 PM
Calgary_Racer, no doubt there is always room for growth and improvement in track development. What I get from the average North American racer is that they do not have a hobby shop or organized track to race at like the large clubs that you elude to in your post. For the rest of us that cannot build a large track due to space in our homes, we prefer RCP or Lakeshore because we can build them in a few minutes, race for hours and hours then tear them down and have the space available again.

TNB shows just how good you can make a RCP track look.

If I had the room, I would build a replica of Indy with the GP course, including the few holes from the Brickyard Crossing in the infield. Either that or Watkins Glen, the full course that F1 once ran and the IRL will run. I would also do my best to replicate the changes in elevation. Heck, I would even include the old "Bog" that was outside of turn 11. Anyone that attended the old USGP at WG knows what I am talking about. But do to lack of space I run a RCP on my garage floor when there is not a car parked there.

I am sure the track you are working on will be something great. I wish you all the success in the world with it. Maybe some day I will have one of your tracks in my home.

TNB
2005.03.21, 11:12 PM
If you do not believe me go to the Mini-Z World Cup organized by pnracing and have a look at the races that have been confirmed so far. 15 in Spain alone, 14 in the rest of the world.
I am since I am going to race at Rialto, California. And the last I knew, the host had an RCP Track. :D
TNB shows just how good you can make a RCP track look.
Thanks.

bda52
2005.03.22, 12:13 AM
TNB you are more than welcome. I always try to listen to you, Arch, DBR and ByeBye opinions, knowing that I am recently re-born into R/C and you all have years of experiance.

If I would ever make it out your way I would love to get on that track and get lost in that maze you have. Right now the 1 wide L I have is set up only as a wide oval since I do not have the room for the extra part. Guess I should have gone with the Mini Tile. Oh well. I would have killed a couple of cars on the mini tiles with trying to learn how to drive an onroad car. I have only had off road Tamyia (Grasshopper, 4x4 Hotshot) in the past. Well I still have a BoLink I never finished building from years ago too.

Calgary_Racer
2005.03.22, 10:44 AM
...What I get from the average North American racer is that they do not have a hobby shop or organized track to race at like the large clubs that you elude to in your post....
I agree fully and that was the point I was trying to make. These mat systems are OK for a home track but they are not exactly the greatest tracks in the world and sadly that is our situation here in North America, we are using home tracks as club tracks even when we have much more and cheaper space available than our European fellows.

arch2b
2005.03.22, 10:56 AM
actually, i find the value of being able to run a home track that is the same material but not setup as a hobby shop track very appealing and one of the strengths of the modular foam tracks. not to mention it makes much more sense from a business standpoint to have something like rcp rather than a large and just as expensive if not more, permanent track. the lhs owner gets much more diversity and use out of their purchase/investment.

don't get me wrong, i would LOVE to run on some of those beautiful tracks from scandinavia and france.

TNB
2005.03.22, 11:12 AM
These mat systems are OK for a home track but they are not exactly the greatest tracks in the world and sadly that is our situation here in North America, we are using home tracks as club tracks even when we have much more and cheaper space available than our European fellows.
Mat systems? Are you referring to RCP Tracks too? Have you ran Kyosho Mini-Zs on an RCP Track yet? Regarding club participation--I know Fly Slot cars are made in Spain. Is there a large slot car following there? How many slot car tracks have been converted to R/C? It just doesn't seem like that big of a jump from slot cars to the same size R/C cars, especially if some of the same slot car bodies can be used on Kyosho Mini-Zs. Regarding space--it seems to me that in the US it is about $$$ and the big $$$ are not in small scales overall or the tracks would target smaller scale R/Cs unlike 1/8 the scale. For example, two new tracks just opened locally and one very large nationally known nitro race is going to be held this week. Quite frankly, it seems like many larger scale R/C owners perceive the smaller scale cars as a joke though the 1/18th scales have seemed to open a few eyes.

TNB
2005.03.22, 11:19 AM
not to mention it makes much more sense from a business standpoint to have something like rcp rather than a large and just as expensive if not more, permanent track. the lhs owner gets much more diversity and use out of their purchase/investment.

don't get me wrong, i would LOVE to run on some of those beautiful tracks from scandinavia and france.
I wouldn't mind running on a permanent track layout once in a while, but not all the time. It would be boring, boring, boring. And of course, the home racers should have the home court advantage though they might not necessarily win. One bad thing about the local hobby shop here was that they never changed the track layout and it got old and I really don't believe it helped my driving skills as much as it could have if the layouts were changed on a regular basis, at least in my eyes.

briankstan
2005.03.22, 12:48 PM
I just have a few things to post about the cheap tiles that you can get at walmart, etc. You can not run a mini-z with the stock tires, all you will do is spin in circles, however if you change the tires to a kyosho 20 or 30 degree tire you can run on these track really great, they have good grip with the ability to drift in the corners, I have been really impressed, once I changes my tires, also the GPM 8G treaded radials work even better on these mats. I have a total of 44 of the 24" x 24" tiles and use the borders as dividers and side rails. it works very nice and has great flexibility as far as track configurations. you can buy a pack of 8 mats as sams club for around 15 buck. so as far as effective and inexpensive you can't beat it, I will say that in the future I am looking at getting an rpc track and also a lap timer when that is available, but until then I am perfectly satisified with the other mats.

just my opionion

Zrc
2005.03.23, 12:41 AM
I agree fully and that was the point I was trying to make. These mat systems are OK for a home track but they are not exactly the greatest tracks in the world and sadly that is our situation here in North America, we are using home tracks as club tracks even when we have much more and cheaper space available than our European fellows.

"Much more and cheaper space available" ??? Thats not something I hear everyday regarding retail space in the US. Right now in central Florida we're lucky if we can find ANY space...much less affordable space !! Keep in mind that in Europe and Asia the following is much bigger AND the general attitude is better regarding these types of activities. RCP tracks can and do look very professional and are proven to be worthy of any venue. Of course, any track can be poorly promoted. My honest opinion regarding many of the European tracks is that they aren't any better than the average RCP track.......they just "SHOW" better. Take an RCP track, add some scenery and put it in an attractive environment (vs. a sterile garage or warehouse) and you would easily have a track to rival any others.

Calgary_Racer
2005.03.23, 09:43 PM
Sorry if I am changing the topic a little bit, it was not my intention. I just want to repeat that domestic manufacturers are doing good but they could do it better. If you are convinced that you made the best choice buying certain type of track that is OK but in some way it is a little sad. I believe that all of us deserve something better. Again, mat tracks are fine but to have them as the only and better choice, well, I find it a little poor.
Returning to the topic, I am seeing that Lakeshore is at least trying to turn things around. Ok, they are not apparently the greatest tracks but I can see a lot of effort and innovation in trying to introduce new parts. And again, that what is needed right now.

TNB
2005.03.23, 10:58 PM
If you are convinced that you made the best choice buying certain type of track that is OK but in some way it is a little sad.
fluffydawg,
I am from Calgary and I have been working on some prototype tracks for a while. I think I will have something for the summer. Please keep in touch.
http://www.minizracer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=177078#post177078

Why, do you have something better and cheaper to offer than RCP Tracks? However, I'd still like to know if you have ran Kyosho Mini-Zs on an RCP Track? I'd futher like to know if the so-called competition will be demo'ing at RCX 2005 and Hobby Visions 2005? If so, I'll bring my own Kyosho Mini-Zs and try your tracks (or the so-called competition's tracks) out.
I am seeing that Lakeshore is at least trying to turn things around. Ok, they are not apparently the greatest tracks but I can see a lot of effort and innovation in trying to introduce new parts. And again, that what is needed right now.
Myself, I don't care about effort since effort is not the same thing as results and if you demo your tracks (or Lakeshore's tracks or Portatrax or Finity-trax) at the same RC shows as RCP Tracks, others can compare the tracks for themselves when they try out those tracks and the RCP Tracks.

bda52
2005.03.23, 10:59 PM
...If you are convinced that you made the best choice buying certain type of track that is OK but in some way it is a little sad. I believe that all of us deserve something better. Again, mat tracks are fine but to have them as the only and better choice, well, I find it a little poor.

But ultimately wouldn't you consider Lakeshore a "MAT" track?

Returning to the topic, I am seeing that Lakeshore is at least trying to turn things around. Ok, they are not apparently the greatest tracks but I can see a lot of effort and innovation in trying to introduce new parts. And again, that what is needed right now.

By selling a pit lane addition for $79.94?? 6 tiles for almost $80?? That is the correct direction? The bridge costs $23.99 and that does not include the 3 tiles needed to make the deck for it they are an additional $23.99 each. So for a fully functional bridge it costs $95.96. So a pit lane and full bridge costs $175.90. A total of 9 tiles and one bridge support for $24.09 less than a Wide L track. Oh, you also get 31 less tiles to build a track with.

I am sure TNB's bridge cost less than $95. You can get trees from Lifelike for $6.80 for a set of 4, where as Lakeshore has single trees for $15 each.

Everything Lakeshore has you can make yourself for so much less.

I do like there street lamps though I have not checked with my LHS for something similar. And I am anxious to see Lakeshore's lap counter.

I am not trying to harp on RCP by saying they are better. I have not raced on Lakeshore so I could not make that claim. All I am saying for the money, you seem to get much more for much less with RCP. With all the posts in support of the product it shows they are doing something right.

Also, if you missed the post by RCP they are working on a banked addition to there tracks due to the demand of the customers.
That refers back to your innovation comment.

TNB
2005.03.23, 11:18 PM
I am sure TNB's bridge cost less than $95. You can get trees from Lifelike for $6.80 for a set of 4, where as Lakeshore has single trees for $15 each. . . I do like there street lamps though I have not checked with my LHS for something similar.
The only real cost of the bridges was the plexiglass, which I purchased at the hardware store. I also purchased the street lamps, rope lights and some of the trees at the hardware store--Xmas specials. Although I did purchase some of the trees at one of the local hobby stores, they were not $15 each.

bda52
2005.03.23, 11:42 PM
Calgary_Racer, please do not get the idea I am trying to flame you. For me it is all about value. At the moment RCP is the best overall value on the market. And even though they have the tracks in the shop here you can buy you can also order direct from them if you wanted to make a custom section like this (http://www.trackdays.co.uk/shared/images/Corners/Mondello-bridgestone.gif). You can order blank tiles and cut this section out yourself. If you want to use RCP rails you can cut holes in the track and put up the rails. Or if you wanted a more European styled track you could always buy some dry wall cut out the section to lay the track into it then paint the area around the track to look like a real road course. Then you could always put up your own walls or even better cut off maybe 1/4" to 1/2' of the RCP rail then glue it to your walls to protect the cars better than wood.

If you thought the black racing surface was too dark you could always try to use some sort of bleach to lighten up the color to more of a gray. (I doubt RCP would suggest it and I would not try it). With RCP you can really do whatever you want with it.

Currently on ebay there is a home made track from Sam's Club mats that still has 5 days to go and I cannot believe that it is up to $61! AND they claim "If you're looking for a modular track to use for fun at home or to practice for a club, hobby store, this is the ultimate product for you. It has two sides incorporated into the design. The first side has a custom applied racing surface for those that want the ability to run fast under extreme racing conditions. You can set your cars up with hard tires to add some drift into your turns or add some soft rubber tires to grip like the pro's." This is a direct copy from another person that is selling RCP's. They just took out the next line "This is an official RCP Mini-96 racetrack. (www.rcptracks.com) The same type track surface is used by Kyosho for their Mini-Z racing events in Japan and in the USA." They make no mention of the second side of the tracks surface in description. I will gladly post the item # if allowed so you can check it out (still has the locking sides on it under the rails that were glued on.)

Is that the correct direction that tracks should go?

bda52
2005.03.23, 11:50 PM
This is that other "track" (http://i5.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/b1/c5/05_1_b.JPG)

TNB
2005.03.23, 11:59 PM
I noticed that the two RCP mini-tiles have description photos used on this website--perhaps, a deal can be made from a member. I noticed the Lake Shore seller has a 38, a starting bid of $185.00, plus $10 ground shipping. The other track with a $30 shipping charge out of Utah looks familiar too. Did you read the Q&As too?

Check out this thread - Members write about purchasing an RCP Track... While at the same time write about someone copying them. I think I'll post on that thread now.

http://*******racing.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2668

bda52
2005.03.24, 12:06 AM
I noticed that the two RCP mini-tiles have description photos used on this website--perhaps, a deal can be made from a member. I noticed the Lake Shore seller has a 38, a starting bid of $185.00, plus $10 ground shipping. The other track with a $30 shipping charge out of Utah looks familiar too. Did you read the Q&As too?
Well I just did! I just finished laughing too. I had not scrolled down that far, I had been reading his feedback and his replies to negative or neutral feedback. Pretty funny stuff there too. and $30 shipping! Had not read that. I just put it on my list to watch to see what he would get for it. I am shocked that he will make so much money. Guess what I am doing tomorrow :D J/K

bda52
2005.03.24, 12:19 AM
http://*******racing.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2668
What got hacked?? I am still new to miniz forums and do not know them all.

TNB
2005.03.24, 12:34 AM
Ripper 7 racing

bda52
2005.03.24, 12:50 AM
Thank you. I had seen that ezine before just forgot about it.

Calgary_Racer
2005.03.24, 08:43 PM
http://www.minizracer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=177078#post177078

Why, do you have something better and cheaper to offer than RCP Tracks? However, I'd still like to know if you have ran Kyosho Mini-Zs on an RCP Track? I'd futher like to know if the so-called competition will be demo'ing at RCX 2005 and Hobby Visions 2005? If so, I'll bring my own Kyosho Mini-Zs and try your tracks (or the so-called competition's tracks) out.

Myself, I don't care about effort since effort is not the same thing as results and if you demo your tracks (or Lakeshore's tracks or Portatrax or Finity-trax) at the same RC shows as RCP Tracks, others can compare the tracks for themselves when they try out those tracks and the RCP Tracks.
TNB,

Thanks for answer me once more.
As you know, I am not happy with the mat track systems offered and then I have decided to go my own way. So far I have a very basic prototype. There is no point in post it here at this stage.
You ask if it will be better and cheaper. To be true at this point I am worried about "better" not about "cheaper". When the time comes I will be show my progress. If someone is interested I might even sell it!

Calgary_Racer
2005.03.24, 08:48 PM
But ultimately wouldn't you consider Lakeshore a "MAT" track?

Yes, absolutely. And that is good. There is a second player in the market. For sure he is selling some tracks and his ideas might attract more clients. I guess it is not a coincidence that the other brand is now offering new parts as you mentioned. And that, again, it is good regardless of which one you are buying.

bda52
2005.03.24, 09:56 PM
Yes, absolutely. And that is good. There is a second player in the market. For sure he is selling some tracks and his ideas might attract more clients. I guess it is not a coincidence that the other brand is now offering new parts as you mentioned. And that, again, it is good regardless of which one you are buying.

Totally agreed there. I am sorry for sounding harsh toward you or just harsh in general. Could not sleep last night and guess got a bit cranky. My comments about the prices were soley driven by my situation. Not much money to buy the track I did buy. If I would have went with LS I would not have received near the amount of track as I did with RCP and I would not have the ability to expand the width of it in the future as money and space allows.

Competition is welcomed in my eyes to the "Big 2". You do have to remember that both of the companies have added expansions as demand has risen. The big thing is that Lakeshore has them for sale on there site, where-as RCP is mostly trying to go through their distributors and do not advertise there expansion packs. I only knew about them by digging through older posts and chatting with RCP on the board.

I do wish you well with creating your own track. If not for future sources of income then at least to lead a major Canadian charge into the future of Mini Z.

TNB
2005.03.24, 10:12 PM
When the time comes I will be show my progress.
Looking forward to the photos, but even more so for a review and test run.

Chickster25
2005.04.08, 07:57 AM
I have read this thread with interest and it seems that overall the RCP track does come out on top. But the Lakeshore track does look good too and as a buyer should definitely consider both before a purchase.

The only problem is that as I am from the UK, the only company that ships tracks here is Lakeshore, that is unless RCP have now changed their shipping. As I have seen someone from RCP on this forum it would be interesting to see if this is going to change.

All competition is good and of course I would like to purchase the best track, but my choices are currently limited to one.

any comments?

arch2b
2005.04.08, 08:01 AM
it's not that rcp won't ship to the uk, it's just the weight is a factor that makes it unpractical. i knwo rcp has asked that those interested in sales outside the u.s., contact their local kyosho dealer or rep. i do not know of anyone that has and still bnought one though.....

the lakeshore tracks do look nice in terms of offering something different. variety is the spice of life :p i don't think i'll give up my rcp though ;)

KB ..S8..
2005.04.08, 12:25 PM
Hey, well it took my a while to get to the end of this damn long thred but im here, i was lookin to buy an rcp track but then i was gona build my own out of mats as i live in the uk and getting it over here would put a hole in my wallet :o , but i looked on that site and it looks like thin hard rubber, but i like the OL track lol it looks fun, but still all the tracks look small, dont u think?

TNB
2005.04.08, 12:52 PM
any comments?
Email RCP Tracks and ask them to ship the RCP Track in sections instead of one large box or for any other alternatives.

saiyan
2005.04.08, 01:33 PM
Now for my 2 cents.......

If you want to be a better racer, you don't race with the slow guys. You won't improve if your not forced to push harder/farther then your current skills allow. If you look at all the eurotracks, both pics and vids, The track width is very narrow in the 1 1/2 to 2 foot range. And i'm sure you've noticed how good the racers on those tracks are. Over hear we are afraid to run on tight tracks, hence nascar's popularity..... go in one direction on a wide a** track with banked corners to keep speed. It's really just a multi lap dragg race. Every other country hosts an F1 race, we don't. Why? Cause we don't understand how to race cars on a 'tight' track at high speed with both left and right turns.

I have not raced on either track, RCP or Lakeshore. From what i've seen they both have great features to offer. The funny thing is that in my understanding 1 square of RCP is about 1 foot square, so 2 of them would be 2 foot wide. Lakeshore is 2 foot square per piece. Most of the track pics i see are in peoples homes, the level of compitition isn't going to demand the most from it. Lakeshore offers alot of extras to make their track fun, as far as i know they themselves have never said anything about it being a professional club track. As far as layout goes how much can really manipulate square pieces to make a track? Can i get a 45 degree corner? Both tracks can be expanded on from the origanal package. RCP offers 3 differant layout, wide oval, wide L, and mini96. Lakeshore offers more layouts in variing degrees of difficulty. RCP you have to buy whole layouts to expand, Lakeshore offers single pieces to expand.

RCP, once it's laid out doesn't look that much different from the asphalt set we use in 10th scale with a bunch of boards and a couple of dots or the carpet tracks i've raced on. Lakeshore's track when laid out looks like a reallistic race track. If you compare it to some of the real tracks in other countries and even on racer games like GT3 a-spec and GT4 and need for speed. Both tracks allow you to fit them to the available area you have and are easilly broken down for storage. As far as grip goes it's not any different to test out different tires and car set ups then any other track i've raced on. We have a couple of Hobbytowns here that hold races quite regularly and they as different as night and day. I keep 2 base set up sheets, 1 for track a and 1 for track b and all the other setups for the different carpet tracks and so on. How difficult would it really be to have 2 setup sheets for the miniz, 1 for Lakeshore and 1 for RCP.

After it is all said and done it comes down to what you NEED and what you WANT from your track. If everyone had the same track in your area you could add them together for large tracks at GTGs. But i think that if you really thought about it, your track probably won't leave your house. Clubs will have their own tracks provided for to race on, so there wouldn't really be a need to cart your track around. Personally i lean towards the look of Lakeshore's track. I want to have something that is fun to race on, plus i like a little drift action. :D

It's not about how much controle you have, but about how well you keep it.

bda52
2005.04.08, 01:55 PM
Now for my 2 cents.......

If you want to be a better racer, you don't race with the slow guys. You won't improve if your not forced to push harder/farther then your current skills allow. If you look at all the eurotracks, both pics and vids, The track width is very narrow in the 1 1/2 to 2 foot range. And i'm sure you've noticed how good the racers on those tracks are. Over hear we are afraid to run on tight tracks, hence nascar's popularity..... go in one direction on a wide a** track with banked corners to keep speed. It's really just a multi lap dragg race. Every other country hosts an F1 race, we don't. Why? Cause we don't understand how to race cars on a 'tight' track at high speed with both left and right turns.

I have not raced on either track, RCP or Lakeshore. From what i've seen they both have great features to offer. The funny thing is that in my understanding 1 square of RCP is about 1 foot square, so 2 of them would be 2 foot wide. Lakeshore is 2 foot square per piece. Most of the track pics i see are in peoples homes, the level of compitition isn't going to demand the most from it. Lakeshore offers alot of extras to make their track fun, as far as i know they themselves have never said anything about it being a professional club track. As far as layout goes how much can really manipulate square pieces to make a track? Can i get a 45 degree corner? Both tracks can be expanded on from the origanal package. RCP offers 3 differant layout, wide oval, wide L, and mini96. Lakeshore offers more layouts in variing degrees of difficulty. RCP you have to buy whole layouts to expand, Lakeshore offers single pieces to expand.

RCP, once it's laid out doesn't look that much different from the asphalt set we use in 10th scale with a bunch of boards and a couple of dots or the carpet tracks i've raced on. Lakeshore's track when laid out looks like a reallistic race track. If you compare it to some of the real tracks in other countries and even on racer games like GT3 a-spec and GT4 and need for speed. Both tracks allow you to fit them to the available area you have and are easilly broken down for storage. As far as grip goes it's not any different to test out different tires and car set ups then any other track i've raced on. We have a couple of Hobbytowns here that hold races quite regularly and they as different as night and day. I keep 2 base set up sheets, 1 for track a and 1 for track b and all the other setups for the different carpet tracks and so on. How difficult would it really be to have 2 setup sheets for the miniz, 1 for Lakeshore and 1 for RCP.

After it is all said and done it comes down to what you NEED and what you WANT from your track. If everyone had the same track in your area you could add them together for large tracks at GTGs. But i think that if you really thought about it, your track probably won't leave your house. Clubs will have their own tracks provided for to race on, so there wouldn't really be a need to cart your track around. Personally i lean towards the look of Lakeshore's track. I want to have something that is fun to race on, plus i like a little drift action. :D

It's not about how much controle you have, but about how well you keep it.

First off there is the USGP at Indy. We used to have the 2 USGP's a year at Watkins Glen and Long Beach. After CART took over Long Beach the USGP moved to Phoenix and Las Vegas. Watkins Glen went into bankruptcy and lost there date. NASCAR had Bristol last week, Martinsville this week. Sonoma and Watkins Glen later in the year along with Richmond and Dover. Alot of the tracks are narrow. The popularity of NASCAR grew from the short tracks that NASCAR is now turning its back to. Beating and banging is what grew that series.

The thing about RCP v. Lakeshore on the width is with RCP you can get the expansion kit and make it wider. Lakeshore you have the option of either 2 or 4 foot lanes, you cannot make there lanes wider if you want too. And even though it is not advertised on RCP's page you can order seperate tiles or pit lane options. RCP offers 2 different grip levels in the same track. One side is smooth for you drifters out there and the other side has more traction. Lakeshore you would have to buy 2 tracks to get there 2 options. Another thing with RCP is you can cut your own holes in the track and change how the rails are attached to the surface. Again not an option with Lakeshore since the rails are glued to the track.

I used to totally agree with you about Lakeshore being more "picturesque" than RCP. That was up until I purchased my own RCP. In person the 45 deg turns do not look near as sharp as in the pictures. It is a much better looking track in person.

If there were other Z racers in my area I would gladly take parts of my track to a GTG to expand the track to a new layout.

saiyan
2005.04.08, 03:01 PM
Well for some reason my responce got dumped when i tried to submit it :mad: and it was even shorter then my last one that worked just fine :( . I will re-do my responce in a little while as i got some errends to do. :cool:

arch2b
2005.04.08, 04:04 PM
Well for some reason my responce got dumped when i tried to submit it :mad: and it was even shorter then my last one that worked just fine :( . I will re-do my responce in a little while as i got some errends to do. :cool:
:mad: i hate it when that happens :mad: as a general practice, i copy al lmy long or well thought out replies (ctrl + c) just in case this happens, then i can simply paste it back in if i get an error (ctrl + v)

Chickster25
2005.04.08, 04:14 PM
Its a real shame that we cannot get the track over here and after looking at another post from someone in france it doesnt look likely that Kyosho will even answer any of us :(

It seems such as shame as I know Mini-Z is big in France and if we had a few RCP tracks in the UK it would take off. Shame we cant even order a few RCP track parts and build up a set over time. Postage may be a bit costly but at least it should get past customs.

Really stuck as to what to do now. Have even considered buying cheap carpet tiles and using them upside down as they are rubber-backed but because they are smooth edged they wont hold together and trying to cut teeth manually isnt going to work very well. I have got a huge collection of Zs and nowhere to race :confused:

arch2b
2005.04.08, 04:23 PM
email the shop or rcp about shipping an rcp to the uk. if your willing to pay the price, i'm sure they will do it. this is not the thread to discuss rcp shippign though

saiyan
2005.04.08, 06:05 PM
Okay, the errands are done. Now if i can remember what i was gonna say......

Lakeshore will allow you to get both grip surfaces in your order of their track. You can have grippy corners or you can drift in you corner on the same track. I would maybe do a set up where you can drift into it and then grip out of it atleast on a 2 piece corner. Go in hot and come out hot. :D

I have not found a true 45 degree corner from either manufacturer. Only 90s or 2 90s to get 180 degree corner. What if i want to have a setup where you go in to a 45degree open hairpin out into a straight and around a 135 degree highspeed corner back into a straight and so on? As nice as both tracks are, you are still limited. Only having 90* turns gives it a Light cycle track from TRON effect. I know the cars round the corner, but you get my meaning. And as i stated befor i have not raced on an RCP or Lakeshore track. I would love the oppurtunity like at maybe an RCX show.

Which ever track i do buy it will have to be modular as i do not have the space to leave it up. I would need to be able to tear it down and stow it in the closet. I could leave it up in the front yard, but between the neighbor, theft and that our sun here would just destroy it in short order.

The 'picturesqe' track i think would draw more people in. I guess we would just need to have a shop with enough space to have both up and running at the same time. The RCP would be setup 'wide' for racin with multiple cars on one side. Then you could have the Lakeshore one for doing demos and getting the customers attention with it's extra flash. It could also be used for challenge type races like Time Attack, Drifting or for when someone wants to race something with a challenge.

TNB
2005.04.08, 06:45 PM
And as i stated befor i have not raced on an RCP or Lakeshore track. I would love the oppurtunity like at maybe an RCX show.
The 'picturesqe' track i think would draw more people in.
No freaking problem since all you have to do is drive here. I will also be posting photos of the Exotic Cars @ Caesar's Palace layout soon since it was set up in the warehouse I use for my track layouts. Although the ECACP layout is no where near as large as my track layouts, the bridge detail is fantastic. Both RCP and me had hoped for photos of the actual ECACP setup; however, ECACP is having inspection issues which has delayed the actual set up of the RCP Track layout in its future home. When it does get set up in all its glory, I will post additional photos. I will upload the warehouse track photos soon since I probably won't dump a brushless motor in my Half8 tonight, will probably do it prior to heading to the warehouse to do a little cleaning and setting up a new track layout, or going out to the 1/4 scale races. Look for the photos in about an hour--Gallery TNB, RCP Tracks sub-album of course. Perhaps, I'll even custom cut some different angled turns just to show how easy it is since I am tired of reading all these posts from people who can't seem to comprehend how easy it is to cut a tile and rehole it with an Xacto knife (not directed at anyone in particular).

bda52
2005.04.08, 06:59 PM
Lakeshore will allow you to get both grip surfaces in your order of their track. You can have grippy corners or you can drift in you corner on the same track. I would maybe do a set up where you can drift into it and then grip out of it atleast on a 2 piece corner. Go in hot and come out hot. :D

From the Lakeshore site "Customers may choose between two racing surfaces: original and grip track." I do see where they have dropped there prices!!! :D But it would still cost you $479.60 to be able to get the Peninsula Layout in both Original and Grip track. RCP you just flip the track over for the other racing surface. $199 for 2 different racing surfaces. @@@@ I chose the Peninsula Layout since it is the closest to the Wide L. @@@@

I have not found a true 45 degree corner from either manufacturer. Only 90s or 2 90s to get 180 degree corner. What if i want to have a setup where you go in to a 45degree open hairpin out into a straight and around a 135 degree highspeed corner back into a straight and so on? As nice as both tracks are, you are still limited. Only having 90* turns gives it a Light cycle track from TRON effect. I know the cars round the corner, but you get my meaning. And as i stated befor i have not raced on an RCP or Lakeshore track. I would love the oppurtunity like at maybe an RCX show.

The only modular track I have seen that way is the track Couch Racing (RIP) made. There is one on ebay from them for $350. I mistyped in the last post and put 45 deg when I ment 90 deg.

Which ever track i do buy it will have to be modular as i do not have the space to leave it up. I would need to be able to tear it down and stow it in the closet. I could leave it up in the front yard, but between the neighbor, theft and that our sun here would just destroy it in short order.

I know the feeling. Even the wide L I got is too big for the area I can use it in, one bay out of a 2 car garage. I can only set up a wide oval. I am thinking of going to the Mini 96 so I can make a course with left and right turns.

The 'picturesqe' track i think would draw more people in. I guess we would just need to have a shop with enough space to have both up and running at the same time. The RCP would be setup 'wide' for racin with multiple cars on one side. Then you could have the Lakeshore one for doing demos and getting the customers attention with it's extra flash. It could also be used for challenge type races like Time Attack, Drifting or for when someone wants to race something with a challenge.

Totally agree with you there. Well maybe somewhat. If I did own a hobby shop that had the room for 2 tracks like that I would probably build my own track. I would use blank RCP tiles for the surface then put green felt or astroturf for the off track areas and cut down the RCP rails and glue them to wood. The rails have been kind to my cars so far only broke a 1st servo gear off of the rails on my IW01. Was my fault...no bumper and did not have the body on. Those sections of astroturf would be modular so different race tracks could be made like at
Franks in FLA (http://www.snowbirdnationals.com/franks.htm)

TNB
2005.04.08, 08:04 PM
Why don't you believe an RCP Track can be "picturesqe"? Check out this photo: http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album624/Track_ECPreCaesar9.jpg After all, the track is going into Exotic Cars at Caesars Palace which will have some of the most expensive automobiles in the world. Forgive the background, since the photo was taken in the warehouse where I set up my track. There are also more photos of my layouts in Gallery TNB as well as the ECACP layout. Notice the great looking bridge, arches, statutes, and working lights.

arch2b
2005.04.08, 08:14 PM
i soo envy you and your close association with john :D you are very lucky to be in the position to help him soo much.

i'm also curious to hear how the brushless h8 runs ;)

saiyan
2005.04.09, 12:47 AM
Why don't you believe an RCP Track can be "picturesqe"? Check out this photo: http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album624/Track_ECPreCaesar9.jpg After all, the track is going into Exotic Cars at Caesars Palace which will have some of the most expensive automobiles in the world. Forgive the background, since the photo was taken in the warehouse where I set up my track. There are also more photos of my layouts in Gallery TNB as well as the ECACP layout. Notice the great looking bridge, arches, statutes, and working lights.

Any track can be made picturesque with additional items. But as a stand alone track in my opinion from looking at all the pics i have found Lakeshore has it. Maybe it's the more to scale barriers or the lane stripping or that you can get extra things like bridges, jumps, tunnels, banked corners and chiccanes. And they actually look like it belongs with the rest of the track with out looking like an after thought or hashed together. :) I love all the Kyosho event set ups with all the extra props, especially the one with the suspension bridge and the F1s. All of my opinions are based on pictures that i've seen. I have only raced on 5 different asphalt, 1 asphalt oval, 1 dirt oval, 4 offroad, and played a little on an indoor carpet track. All for 10th scale. I'm willing to try any of the tracks out there.

I will plan to come up there and try out the track with in the next few months :cool: . It will probably take me that long to come up with funds for one of these as i am currently trying to get an OL track out of foam together.

TNB
2005.04.09, 04:55 AM
What? Doesn't Lakeshore build OL tracks? RCP Tracks does and there are photos in Gallery TNB. I also set up a new RCP Track layout tonight with some modified curves. I even tossed in some "night" photos, so in my opinion, it not only looks good, but it is functional. Check out large Layout No. 19.

arch2B,
I don't know how much I'll get done on the Half8 this weekend since I plan to go to the 1/4 scale track in a few hours (it's been a long night at the track) and then run Zs afterwards.

saiyan
2005.04.09, 05:03 AM
Actually they do, but they're pricy. Besides i can cut foam and spray a little color on it. Might be a bit messy for my nieghbors though:D .

TNB
2005.04.09, 05:23 AM
Aren't all Lakeshore tracks expensive? Actually, I hope you purchase a Lakeshore track. Want to know why? Because I want to try one out and I have yet to meet anyone with a Lakeshore track. Supposedly, someone in California had one and I would have drove there just to try it out but he just sort of disappeared.

saiyan
2005.04.09, 11:51 AM
Boy! Sure does seems like someone doesn't like a little compitition from another manufacture :D . I like the pics of your tack and i think a saw a pic of that bridge in another thread standing next to a car in a driveway? Definately some skill in that :cool: . To get the size track i want from RCP i would be spending close to the same money, but like i said i will try it out befor i buy. The wifes been naggin me to goto Vegas soon so i'm sure she won't mind a stop over. :D

TNB
2005.04.09, 12:06 PM
What's the difference? You wrote that you want to try out both Lakeshore and RCP Tracks, I just want to try out the Lakeshore Track since I own an RCP Track. After all, I've driven on RCP Tracks in several states already. ;)

Regarding "the" bridge, there are several bridges shown in Gallery TNB:

1. The new bridge going into Exotic Cars at Caesars Palace.
http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album624/Track_ECPreCaesar9.jpg

2. The Plexiglass bridge I made by hot gluing RCP Track rails to a piece of plexiglass and the wooden bridge with RCP Track tiles I cut to fit.
http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album500/RCP_LL10_00_001.jpg

3. The offroad wooden suspension bridges and the same wooden bridge with a piece of plexiglass cut to fit (instead of RCP Track tiles) used at the 2004 Hobby Visions.
http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album318/Track_RCPHV3_12red.jpg

4. The suspended onroad bridge used at 2004 Hobby Visions.
http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album318/Track_RCPHV3_36red.jpg

saiyan
2005.04.09, 02:33 PM
Apparently i opened a can of worms for ya with my comments :p . Bridge #4 with the F1s was the one that i had seen a pic of the whole layout and thought ' wow '. :D Won't fit in my townhome though. :o

arch2b
2005.04.09, 02:49 PM
:rolleyes: thats because when ever someone brings up lakesure ther eare always comparisons made to other products (rcp mostly) and you know where it goes from there....

i wish a thread or two could be just on lakeshore stuff without it getting sooo off track all the time

saiyan
2005.04.09, 04:13 PM
What kinda pricing does RCP do for the off-road tracks? I do like those pics with it crossin over the road coarse. Some thin like that would be awsome. :D

TNB
2005.04.10, 12:09 PM
Email RCP Tracks direct.

saiyan
2005.04.16, 01:01 AM
Okay, i did send an email to RCP and they said they would go over the list of what i want and will e-mail me with a price. I thought that was cool to let me know that they did get it and would get a quote to me soon. :cool:

deputydog336
2005.04.19, 12:41 AM
Alright guys. here goes....Dont all grill me at one time!!!!!! Sorry I have been to busy at work to get on lately and tonight is no exception so I'll be brief and do a much longer post in the future. I bought a barely used Lakeshore Track off ebay. It was the biggest one they have in the grip surface. Ill give exact details later or try to answer questions. The racing surface is about 22.5 inches wide by 24 inches long. It is a pretty basic foam tile. the edges are cut off and glued onto the tiles and an added color foam piece is glued just inside the cutoff piece. The great looking lane lines are made with a marker or something and do not always line up exact from piece to piece. The track is very very easy to set up and change quickly. With as much track as it came with I can make a pretty huge setup and it comes with two bridge setups and a four way intersection if you liek the idea of getting your Z smashed up (Not me) I have bought a bunch of Zs to get started but have not had time to mess with setups. In my limited time I have been able to run it a bit and made a pretty big set up right now. My two F1s do pretty well on it many of my other zs have some issues which I'm working on. Lakeshore suggests foam tires which I need to buy. Even with the Grip track i'm sliding and spinning everywhere. Dont need to worry about x speed motors and turbos as I cant get the car anywhere close to top spped and try to make any kind of corner. It is still fun though and Im getting better at driving it, and the setup has a lot of corners right now. I'll try to do some pictures soon. It is fun, easy to set up and store away, although the rails dont coem off like RCP. I think it can be a very fun track. As far as professional or seroius racing not so sure it would be great. Would only use 2-4 cars on it in my opinion. Seems like a more family fun type of track. Would be a lot faster to set up then what I've read about the RCP. I set up my pretty big setup in like 5 minutes. I'll write more about it later and try to answer questions.

saiyan
2005.04.19, 02:08 AM
I know the track from the web sight. For racin I would get rid of the 4way and go with another bridge or just a different layout and use the 4way for a pit entrance/exit. But for messin around if you had a couple of them you could do your own version of 'Grand Theft Auto', just get one of your buddies to run after you with a cop car. :D What about a water and soda mixture sprayed on the surface? It might attract ants if you set it up in the yard, but it would get ya a sticky surface to race on. 1 of the LHS here uses it on their dedicated asphalt road course tracks to everyones approval. I like it cause i can run a 'looser' set up for the speed without loss of traction.

TNB
2005.04.19, 11:04 AM
deputydog336,

Looking forward to the photos and review. Do the antennas clear the bridges? When you wrote that you "cant get the car anywhere close to top spped and try to make any kind of corner" is that becuase you can't get any grip supposedly since you are not running recommended foams? If you only recommend "2-4 cars" at one time, is your Lakeshore track more like the size of an RCP Track Mini-Tile 96 or do you only recommend 2-4 cars because of the lack of grip?

Thanks.

saiyan
2005.04.19, 12:38 PM
I'm thinking that i know what your pet peave is :rolleyes: . Couldn't help with the comparison referance could ya?

TNB
2005.04.19, 01:43 PM
You freaking amaze me. I ask a few simple questions and you want to turn it into a pi$$ing contest. Just what the hell do you want me to compare it too? A freaking asphalt track with pvc pipe? A freaking video game? I am so freaking tired of some of these freaking posts and some of the members around here.

arch2b
2005.04.19, 01:57 PM
...I am so freaking tired of some of these freaking posts and some of the members around here.
oh you have no idea...... :rolleyes: ;)