PDA

View Full Version : Xhead buys a Mini-Z

Bluedog
2004.11.03, 05:33 PM
Weeeeeeee! This thing really *is* fast! I went to the hobby shop in King the other day, looking for Mini-Z hop-ups that could be used on my XMODS. I got to talking to the owner about R/C racing and asked a few questions about Mini-Zs. Anyway, after our conversation, I decided that I just had to have one so, I bought the blue PT Cruiser. It put a heavy dent in my wallet but, I figured I had intended to put about that much toward some more XMODS stuff anyways so... Over the course of the day, I questioned myself a few times about what I'd done and hoped that I didn't end up feeling like an idiot in the end. Finally, I got to try it out yesterday morning with a new set of IC-3s and was very pleased to see it running at a good 15 mph if not more! Also the steering is better than what I've read about! I love it! I changed the rearend to the high position and switched to the 7 tooth pinion lastnight and took it out for another test this evening. This time it was pushing 20 mph! Oh, by the way... The dude at the hobby store told me that the Mini-Z wasn't very popular in the south and that he was going to quit selling them soon. He said that he would still order parts for customers but, no more carrying stock. That's to bad. Guess that means I have to go to sorry ol' hobbytown and pay outrageous prices for what I want. :mad: . The only pic I have right now is from the Kyosho site but, I'll have my own pics after I do a few more mods.

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.03, 05:39 PM
And we have another convert!!!!

Bluedog
2004.11.03, 06:12 PM
And we have another convert!!!!

Not so fast. I still like my XMODS. I'm going to max-out my Mini-Z with every mod I can but, I will *never* pay that much for a 1/28er again. I like it a lot but, I still think it's over-priced. Now, I know that some places are reasonable on Mini-Z pricing but, most places like that you have to order from and I have trouble ordering stuff these days because I don't have credit and of the few hobby stores in my area $130.00 is the best bet down in these parts. Actually as silly as it may sound, I'd like to see more MZers and XMers getting along and racing together even though an XMOD requires a few hop ups just to keep up. Now that I have a Mini-Z I have a new respect for it as I've seen it close up, messed around with it and seen that it's pretty advanced for it's size and is definately a "hobby class" R/C. I now see that the XMODS are more of an entry level car kind of like what Nikko is to Traxxas but, it's still good enough to compete on a road course against the more advanced cars in my opinion. Getting back to my Mini-Z... I just can't wait to get some suspension upgrades and a cooler set of rims, grippier tires, lights and more!

Ninja
2004.11.03, 07:36 PM
where do you live at on the east coast? I live in North Georgia, and we race every Thursday at out local Hobbytown USA.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.04, 12:25 AM
Not so fast. I still like my XMODS. I'm going to max-out my Mini-Z with every mod I can but, I will *never* pay that much for a 1/28er again. I like it a lot but, I still think it's over-priced. Now, I know that some places are reasonable on Mini-Z pricing but, most places like that you have to order from and I have trouble ordering stuff these days because I don't have credit and of the few hobby stores in my area $130.00 is the best bet down in these parts. Actually as silly as it may sound, I'd like to see more MZers and XMers getting along and racing together even though an XMOD requires a few hop ups just to keep up. Now that I have a Mini-Z I have a new respect for it as I've seen it close up, messed around with it and seen that it's pretty advanced for it's size and is definately a "hobby class" R/C. I now see that the XMODS are more of an entry level car kind of like what Nikko is to Traxxas but, it's still good enough to compete on a road course against the more advanced cars in my opinion. Getting back to my Mini-Z... I just can't wait to get some suspension upgrades and a cooler set of rims, grippier tires, lights and more!
If you didn't want to lay that kind of dough down you should have joined us a little earlier and tired out an Iwaver before an Kyosho brand. You would have been uber happy with the performance over the xmods.

Glad that you like your Mini-Z. :D
Take pictures. I have not seen many people with the PT Cruiser.

TNB
2004.11.04, 12:40 AM
Twenty-Se7en,
I've seen a few PT Cruisers, but most were laying on their sides. :rolleyes: I think there still is one for sale at one of the LHS.

Bluedog,
Welcome to MZR.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.04, 12:54 AM
Twenty-Se7en,
I've seen a few PT Cruisers, but most were laying on their sides. :rolleyes: I think there still is one for sale at one of the LHS.

Bluedog,
Welcome to MZR.
Top heavy then huh?
I find a lot of Mr-01s to be that way. You can easily flip an MR-01 no matter how low the body, NSX for example.

TNB
2004.11.04, 01:00 AM
The PT owners I've met tended to get a C5R later, then eventually an Enzo.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.04, 01:14 AM
The PT owners I've met tended to get a C5R later, then eventually an Enzo.
The CR5 was so damn popular it made me sick to look at it. I would never buy one. Makes me think that I missed all the opportunity with the Mr01... I still want to try and get more out of my Mr-01s though

TNB
2004.11.04, 01:17 AM
They usually just purchased the C5R since they didn't want to spend the extra money to get the Enzo. Then they spent the money later anyway.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.04, 01:30 AM
:D Have two Enzos :D Now I don't feel bad about not having a CR5, thanks TNB :D

TNB
2004.11.04, 01:35 AM
I do have the C5R 2002 and a never been used C5R 2000 Autoscale. Then again, I have a couple of C5R bodies for my T-Maxx and one for my Yokomo.... I also have a new Enzo body for my T-Maxx too. :D What can I say.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.04, 01:46 AM
*shakes head* Love your RCs dont you :p

TNB
2004.11.04, 02:07 AM
Boys will be boys and cars are cars. :D Now if I were like Jay Leno....

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.04, 02:11 AM
True, true...

I don't get the Jay Leno comment at all :p

TNB
2004.11.04, 02:15 AM
Instead of purchasing "toy" cars, Leno has about 100 "real" cars and some of them are very, very exotic and very, very expensive.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.04, 02:19 AM
wow... and all he does is stay up late and bitch about everyone elses job... not bad, not bad.

Never knew that about him... wonder how often he gets to play with his cars, bet it isn't as often as we play with our toys :)

TNB
2004.11.04, 02:21 AM
It's my understanding he is a workaholic. One of the MZR members knows him, so you never know, he may add a little something or two to this thread. He could tell you more about the cars.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.04, 02:25 AM
It's funny how you see people on TV and never really think that they work as hard or as long as you, but that's a very unfair judgement on my part... I take back what I said.

One of the MZR memebers knows him personally? Interesting.

TNB
2004.11.04, 02:35 AM
I have to go. Tigger is up here now and he wants some attention. Bennie is also close. Later.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.04, 02:40 AM
I have to go. Tigger is up here now and he wants some attention. Bennie is also close. Later.
It was like chat for a little while tonight TNB, thanks for the company while the better half is asleep :) I know what it is like to have a cat wanting attention, Jade is off somewhere lazing now. 4:10am here... wow, sleep would be so nice if I didn't have lots of work that i've been avoiding! Later.

Bluedog
2004.11.04, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the welcome, guys. Glad to be here. Ninja, I'm in western NC. Our HobbyTown had a race about 4 years ago and then imediatly stopped it without good reason. The guys who run it are a bunch of jerks who lazily sit around on their oversized rumps and wouldn't get up to assist a customer if their lives depended on it. I only go to that place when I have too which thankfully isn't often. I found a thread some where on here lastnight that said there was a track at an R/C Extreme in Clemmons. Maybe I'll check it out. I was hoping there was one at King R/C but, all they have is a dirt track for off-road types. Guess I'll just have to save up and build my own local track. :(

Skurge
2004.11.04, 10:30 AM
well I'm an owner of 5 XMODS......and i just purchased a mini cooper MR-01......cant wait for it to get here

Gotta compare to all the xmods.......i dont doubt it will be much better tho

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.04, 01:11 PM
well I'm an owner of 5 XMODS......and i just purchased a mini cooper MR-01......cant wait for it to get here

Gotta compare to all the xmods.......i dont doubt it will be much better tho
You wont know what you're missing till you get it in your grasp my friend :D

TNB
2004.11.04, 01:57 PM
More so with an MR-02 or F1.

arch2b
2004.11.04, 02:54 PM

after the first turn you'll see what everyone is talking about :p

cdeath
2004.11.04, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the welcome, guys. Glad to be here. Ninja, I'm in western NC. Our HobbyTown had a race about 4 years ago and then imediatly stopped it without good reason. The guys who run it are a bunch of jerks who lazily sit around on their oversized rumps and wouldn't get up to assist a customer if their lives depended on it. I only go to that place when I have too which thankfully isn't often. I found a thread some where on here lastnight that said there was a track at an R/C Extreme in Clemmons. Maybe I'll check it out. I was hoping there was one at King R/C but, all they have is a dirt track for off-road types. Guess I'll just have to save up and build my own local track. :(

R/C Extreme is closed now. The only place nearby is Boone and Kannopolis click on these links to read about them

http://www.minizracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14744

This link talks about racing Mini-T trucks but they also race miniz look for my (cdeath) posts for info about track locations.

http://www.one18th.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1221

Bluedog
2004.11.04, 05:42 PM
No! Darn it! That really, really sucks! Thanks for telling me though. You may have saved me a good chunk of gas money. I would've been so pissed if I'd drove all the way out to Clemmons just to find that the place is closed. What I don't get is why Winston, Highpoint or Greensboro doesn't have a track. I mean it's the infamous Triad for crying out loud! All you ever hear on TV and radio day in and day out is Triad this and Triad that and all of the cool places to go to in the Triad blah blah blah... If it's so great and so many people down here are gearheads then where are all of the cool hobby shops, car clubs and tracks?? It just doesn't make sense!

cdeath
2004.11.05, 02:27 PM
Ive been saying the same thing it sucks in the triad. Unless you are a drunk their is next to nothing to do around here. I hate having to drive across the state to fuel my hobby. It would be cool if we or someone could talk hobbytown into running micro races. It could be for xmods, miniz, mini-t, and micro rs4 if advertised correctly with flyers and us spreading the word on forums like this one certantly enough people would show up. You would think this would be apparent to hobbytown that the extra people in their store would be profitable. Just having a parking lot full of cars would get people wondering what is going on and stop in to see thus more buisness. Seems perfectly reasonable to me but for some reason nobody does it.

Bluedog
2004.11.05, 03:53 PM
Ive been saying the same thing it sucks in the triad. Unless you are a drunk their is next to nothing to do around here. I hate having to drive across the state to fuel my hobby. It would be cool if we or someone could talk hobbytown into running micro races. It could be for xmods, miniz, mini-t, and micro rs4 if advertised correctly with flyers and us spreading the word on forums like this one certantly enough people would show up. You would think this would be apparent to hobbytown that the extra people in their store would be profitable. Just having a parking lot full of cars would get people wondering what is going on and stop in to see thus more buisness. Seems perfectly reasonable to me but for some reason nobody does it.

Dude, you are *so* right! We really *do* need to do something about this! There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't have a track in or near one of these three cities. Before I bought this PT, I was working on putting together an NC group for XMOD enthusiasts over at Yahoo but, I haven't even got close to opening it yet. Now I feel that I should probably change it to include all minis. I've already decided to save up for a couple of RCP tracks to build a nice one, find a good place for public racing and go from there. What we really need is for as many MZers, XMers and any other mini RCers in or not too far away from the Triad area to get in on this. What do you think?

cdeath
2004.11.08, 10:14 AM
We should write a letter to the owner/manager of a few local hobby shops stressing the pros and cons of having a weekly micro race. Only problem is that hobby shops dont sell xmods parts and thus cant make money on xmod racers unless the race itself has an entry fee. The key is to get at least 10 people to show intrest and prove to the shops that it will be a lasting venture. You cant expect a shop to invest in a track and lap counting system without proof that they will be able to get it back somehow. And like you said the shops around here arent even carring micro parts anymore. So to be able to convince a shop to hold races for cars that they don't even carry anymore seems tough. That is why I keep saying hobbytown and not king or kc hobbies. We could use other hobbytowns that do hold races as an example. I know that alot of the racers on these forums run at hobbytowns weekly and if we could get profit reports from those hobbytowns proving that they turn a larger profit on race night maybe that would help convince our local shop. This is something to look into and do a little research on but it might could happen.

Skurge
2004.11.08, 12:54 PM
Well my mini-z has arrived at my house! I just have to wait till 9 when i get out of work to go check it out

46u
2004.12.04, 04:40 PM
Our HobbyTown had a race about 4 years ago and then imediatly stopped it without good reason. The guys who run it are a bunch of jerks who lazily sit around on their oversized rumps and wouldn't get up to assist a customer if their lives depended on it. I only go to that place when I have too which thankfully isn't often. :(

Wondering if all Hobby Town USA are like that as the one here in Macon, GA is terrible!!!!!!!! I will not go there no matter what. I would rather order it on the net and wait then go to the one here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

sargemonkey
2005.07.26, 05:19 PM
I have two xmods, I don't like them much, a little to slow and crudy, but I will be getting an OL, I don't need any cars, I have to much carpet, but it is extremly low.