PDA

View Full Version : found a new track

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.09, 05:44 PM
http://www.finititrax.com/ here's a new track by finiti trax...it doesnt seem as nice as the RCP but is cheaper...anyway its good to see some more players in the track game.

arch2b
2004.11.09, 05:59 PM
it's already been covered in other threads but that's the first i've seen of the website

Skurge
2004.11.09, 07:48 PM
def doesn't look as good as RCP.....but i might have to pick one of these up to try them out. The RCP ones seemed too expensive to me, this seems like a good alternative

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.10, 12:14 AM
they look really slick and I watched the video, the cars don't handle anything like a car on an rcp does, and they are going pretty slow, probably stock. The rails look cheap because they are but that's the name of the game when you are competing against RCP, keep it cheap. There is a market for a very cheap modular track, but for the people who realize that an RCP track is the best hop-up you could ever get for your Z, then they know there is no going lower ;)

TNB
2004.11.10, 01:17 AM
What get's me is that it links to Zclubrcc. I've raced against some of those members on an RCP Track. I wonder which track those members prefer and why. Their cool looking club t-shirts are also not on the website yet.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.10, 01:24 AM
I didn't see that link, must have missed it.

arch2b
2004.11.10, 06:33 AM
as many new member's begin their search for tracks here, we need to remember that not all tracks are the same and should be celebrated for their differences as opossed to being discarded.
while some are cheaper alternatives to the cost of rcp tracks, it should not carry e a negative conotation. not everyone can afford the rcp tracks so "less expensive" options are what they look for. if you feel one track is better than another, please construct your arguement in a point by point manner or some logical structure so that those who are searchign can review the information without having to read thru pages of, "this is an inferior track" kinds of satements without any supporting information.

i'm saying this becasue i have heard complaints about mini-zracer not being an open forum for discussion and a tendecny to appear biased. i think we all know that is not the intended case. this a forum for discussion and learning as i have always believed an educated consumer is the best consumer

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.10, 11:12 AM
as many new member's begin their search for tracks here, we need to remember that not all tracks are the same and should be celebrated for their differences as opossed to being discarded.
while some are cheaper alternatives to the cost of rcp tracks, it should not carry e a negative conotation. not everyone can afford the rcp tracks so "less expensive" options are what they look for. if you feel one track is better than another, please construct your arguement in a point by point manner or some logical structure so that those who are searchign can review the information without having to read thru pages of, "this is an inferior track" kinds of satements without any supporting information.

i'm saying this becasue i have heard complaints about mini-zracer not being an open forum for discussion and a tendecny to appear biased. i think we all know that is not the intended case. this a forum for discussion and learning as i have always believed an educated consumer is the best consumer
I realize this, and I find myself doing this... but I also make an effort to be open you can check out my recent comments on a reverse sided carpet track and my very difficult search for regupol. I'm open to new products, I feel right now that the superior product is RCP, but that doesn't mean that I don't respect many other tracks, everything from finitrax, x-z trax, and so on... they all have their ups and downs.

In the end, the track that was custom built I believe has the most satisfaction, I don't care what surface you use.. when you build it as a group and even start planning building it, it kills an prefabricated track available.

arch2b
2004.11.10, 11:15 AM
27, i couldn't agree more :p

TNB
2004.11.10, 12:16 PM
I recall all those Iwaver threads and still read them. Now more recently it appears to be track threads. I also realize the cats pounce sometimes, especially when they notice the same type of comments over-and-over across multiple forums and threads by what appears to be new members. And since it is a message board, some things may be taken out of context or misunderstood or simply not able to be properly and accurately conveyed since there is a wide spectrum of readers with various experience and knowledge. After all, I've read numerous posts from die hard Xmod fans who have yet to try either an Iwaver or a Mini-Z and will assert it is the best RC on the planet until they finally try another RC and another transmitter. Ironically, I've read a few posts from Xmod fans who believe the Xmod track is fun to run on yet don't realize it is an RCP Track. Will it ever change, probably not as long as there are two different owners with two different but somewhat similar type products who don't run both products at the same time on the same surface under the same rules. Then again, we could all become robots or a member of the Borg.

byebye
2004.11.10, 01:29 PM
http://www.finititrax.com/ here's a new track by finiti trax...it doesnt seem as nice as the RCP but is cheaper...anyway its good to see some more players in the track game.
I've driven on that track before it looked the way it does. It is similar to my fatigue mat track here at home. It's a good surface but it can be very slick without the right tire setup, well, setup all together. The rails actually look alot better than what they had before. The guys that work there are some of the best people do drive withand are Very friendly and knowledgable. Track looks good and it's good to see them on a new business venture(assuming).

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.10, 02:32 PM
competition is what makes products better. With competition comes innovation. And ideally different surfacces should exist. Look at real car racing...we have tracks with concrete sections, different types of mix in the asphalt...this all requires different setups such as tires and suspension which create more variables to play with. Hey, I like to know about new products even if I'm not interested in them.

While I will be getting an RCP (prob. for christmas :D ) its good to seee other alternatives.

Though I dont have an RCP yet one complaint I know I will have is that I wont be ablw to make turns of varied degrees. AS all these tracks are a similar surface...if they have the same connectors it would be cool to make a track of varied surfaces with different grips.

All I can think of is Caddyshack when Ty Webb hits the ball into Carl Spaglers "house" with his own grass (a blend of federben benz kentucky bluegrass and northern california sensimilla) and Chevy Chase feels it and replies I've played on grass like this before".

Calgary_Racer
2004.11.10, 03:26 PM

Nice comment.
Once again, I think that a new product is always welcome.

Calgary_Racer
2004.11.10, 03:46 PM
they look really slick and I watched the video, the cars don't handle anything like a car on an rcp does, and they are going pretty slow, probably stock. The rails look cheap because they are but that's the name of the game when you are competing against RCP, keep it cheap. There is a market for a very cheap modular track, but for the people who realize that an RCP track is the best hop-up you could ever get for your Z, then they know there is no going lower ;)

Twenty-Se7en,

There is a link "Car Information" at the very bottom (or try http://www.finititrax.com/VideoStats.htm) that gives you details about the cars they apparently have used for the video. Sadly I am unable to watch the video, apparently it is not longer available or something is wrong with the link :(
Regarding RCP I believe many will agree if I say that is a great product that have make a big impact on this hobby changing it for ever and for better. But I believe that better tracks are possible and hopefully a more competitive market will make them true soon. I really do not care who does it as long as it is good and affordable.
By the way, I am not a track manufacturer as someone apparently suggested on the Lakeshore topic but if I do not find the kind of track I am looking for I might become one pretty soon :D

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.11, 10:26 AM
Twenty-Se7en,

There is a link "Car Information" at the very bottom (or try http://www.finititrax.com/VideoStats.htm) that gives you details about the cars they apparently have used for the video. Sadly I am unable to watch the video, apparently it is not longer available or something is wrong with the link :(
Regarding RCP I believe many will agree if I say that is a great product that have make a big impact on this hobby changing it for ever and for better. But I believe that better tracks are possible and hopefully a more competitive market will make them true soon. I really do not care who does it as long as it is good and affordable.
By the way, I am not a track manufacturer as someone apparently suggested on the Lakeshore topic but if I do not find the kind of track I am looking for I might become one pretty soon :D

You got it pretty bad in that thread calgary....it made me almost not start this thread.

TNB
2004.11.11, 09:50 PM
Though I dont have an RCP yet one complaint I know I will have is that I wont be ablw to make turns of varied degrees. AS all these tracks are a similar surface...if they have the same connectors it would be cool to make a track of varied surfaces with different grips.
RCP Tracks "DOES" have tiles with various surfaces. I'm also pretty sure that RCP will "MAKE" a custom track for you if you are willing to pay for it. Consequently, has anyone done the math? If price is all that matters, how much is one tile of each type of track?

arch2b
2004.11.11, 10:02 PM
that is a VERY good question

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.12, 09:37 AM
I hear ya but what does a custom track cost? It's gotta be pricey to have custom turns made. But what I meant by different surfaces is more like foam, oxite, roofing paper, painted wood...etc.

Also, about the different surfaces, has anyone made a track with some top and bottom sides to create a bit of a varied surface? it may be fun to have the slippery side of the inside of a turn facing up expecially with the CP Cup cars. More NASCAR contact!

arch2b
2004.11.12, 09:40 AM
has anyone made a track with some top and bottom sides to create a bit of a varied surface?

i was going to try that this weekend ;)

TNB
2004.11.12, 12:32 PM
In addition to the two different sides of the RCP Track itself, there are also the off-road tiles and the "other" tiles that RCP Tracks has posted about.

Remember, the photos of the varying surfaces and colors.... If I recall correctly, there were some tiles that were more slippery like a "rained" on type surface. To me if these various "option" tiles can provide similar characteristics without the mess, they would be much better than trying to rig some half-bake tile insert using tiles from various companies even if you could "make" another company's track tiles fit.

For those who don't like the RCP Track rail barriers, there is another easy fix--don't install them.

byebye
2004.11.12, 01:45 PM
This weekend????????

46u
2004.11.12, 05:33 PM
def doesn't look as good as RCP.....but i might have to pick one of these up to try them out. The RCP ones seemed too expensive to me, this seems like a good alternative

They are not that much cheaper and the mates sure look cheesy. :D

MattPaintballer
2004.11.14, 07:54 PM
I found a review while reading something on Ripper7Racing... here ya' go:

Finiti-Trax Review (http://ripper7racing.com/Magazine/oct04/finiti.htm)

TNB
2004.11.14, 08:27 PM
I read that review sometime back. I also noticed how the reviewer commented about how the corners were "NOT" striped in red like the ones on the site and there were no expansion kits. The rails also don't appear to have the small "red" corners like what ships with an RCP Track since the Finiti-Trax appears to just stop. I would have also hoped the reviewer would have tried an MR-02 and an MMT on the track even though he couldn't get his "two fully hopped up X-mods" around the layout.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.15, 01:47 AM
I read that a while back as well...
it's not suprising that the Xmods didn't make it around the track, their turning radius is killer even on a wide tile rcp.

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.15, 02:08 AM
SO we ran a track in Chinatown on saturday and it was jsut "fatugue mats" which was excellent. It has inspired me to make my own track...look for updates I expect it to take a while to make. And no I wont be selling it...it going to be one of a kind ;) .

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.15, 01:06 PM
i'm not sure where you are located ruk, but a recent thread pointed out that per sq. ft. RCP isn't very expensive, and if you are going to be building a fairly large track it may be worth your while to check out that option. I know it seems expensive at first glance, but do soem calculations to see how much a home built track will cost you before you start buying materials.

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.15, 02:38 PM
i'm not sure where you are located ruk, but a recent thread pointed out that per sq. ft. RCP isn't very expensive, and if you are going to be building a fairly large track it may be worth your while to check out that option. I know it seems expensive at first glance, but do soem calculations to see how much a home built track will cost you before you start buying materials.

Yeah, the RCP really isn't cheaper but there are a few things I wnt to do that I can't with an RCP (without an insanely expensive order)...basically have the track go from wode to narrow in a straightaway and some different angled turns. Its not that I have a lot of space but limited space and it needs to be taken do wn when not in use.

However, from what I have read, the RCP will fit the fatigure mats so I do plan on adding some off road tiles and maybe a wide L or two. I was thinking teh mini 96 it really is too small...or my drifing skilss are too poor :p .

TNB
2004.11.15, 02:48 PM
Yeah, the RCP really isn't cheaper but there are a few things I wnt to do that I can't with an RCP (without an insanely expensive order)...basically have the track go from wode to narrow in a straightaway and some different angled turns.
If I recall correctly, one type of track was .50 cheaper per square foot, one track was the same price, and the rest were higher--up to 4x higher.

If you want to go from wide to narrow in a straightaway, all that takes is a razor blade or an Xacto knife since you can cut the tiles and rehole them to fit the rails. You could do the same thing with the turns. It's like all this hoopla over a conversion tile from a mini to a standard or vice a versa--do people ever wonder how I connect the bridge on my track. It's called back-to-back tiles of different sizes and I'm still able to use the rails since I reholed a couple of tiles.

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.15, 02:53 PM
If I recall correctly, one type of track was .50 cheaper per square foot, one track was the same price, and the rest were higher--up to 4x higher.

If you want to go from wide to narrow in a straightaway, all that takes is a razor blade or an Xacto knife since you can cut the tiles and rehole them to fit the rails. You could do the same thing with the turns. It's like all this hoopla over a conversion tile from a mini to a standard or vice a versa--do people ever wonder how I connect the bridge on my track. It's called back-to-back tiles of different sizes and I'm still able to use the rails since I reholed a couple of tiles.

There's also a certain fun of making your own track...hey it may fail miserably but I'll have fun failing

RCPMini-z
2004.11.15, 02:59 PM
There's also a certain fun of making your own track...hey it may fail miserably but I'll have fun failing

I agree with you, there is a certain fun of making your own track. I experience this sort of high, after the completion of each one of my trade show displays. Look forward to seeing some pictures.

Btw, if your going to build your track out of home store mats, let me know how much they are going to cost you. I have some boxes of new blank tiles at the shop that I can't sell in RCP kits, due to differences in color and thickness, but if you didn't have them side by side with a standard RCP kit, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. They have the custom RCP texture and link system and I could most likely get them to you for less than the home store brand.

TNB
2004.11.15, 03:06 PM
Why do you think I have so many different layouts and all the little odds and ends on the RCP Track? It is not only more fun to change the configurations on a regular basis, but it is nice to get out in the nice weather and set it up. I freaking got very bored racing on the same layouts all the time and to me it really doesn't matter how much detail a track has if the layout never changes since it is no longer a challenge or new.

byebye
2004.11.15, 03:15 PM

Making your own track is worth the time. I used the fatigu mats myself and am very satisfied. My track is only 24" wide though so 3 or more and you are crowded. I use it alot as a test track. It's in my basement and I have an 18' long straight. In total I think I paid about $100 and used hot glue to secure the side rails. The best thing about making your own track is it's your design, your imagination. I can say however that I do really like the RCP tracks and placed an order for 2 wide L's. The shop didn't have any in so I cancelled but I do plan on placing that order again. Honestly I don't even think I have enough room for 2 wide L's. I love my track here at home and am glad I made it.
Here is a photo of mine-

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.15, 03:19 PM
Making your own track is worth the time. I used the fatigu mats myself and am very satisfied. My track is only 24" wide though so 3 or more and you are crowded. I use it alot as a test track. It's in my basement and I have an 18' long straight. In total I think I paid about $100 and used hot glue to secure the side rails. The best thing about making your own track is it's your design, your imagination. I can say however that I do really like the RCP tracks and placed an order for 2 wide L's. The shop didn't have any in so I cancelled but I do plan on placing that order again. Honestly I don't even think I have enough room for 2 wide L's. I love my track here at home and am glad I made it.
Here is a photo of mine-

What did you use for rails? I was thinking about getting some foam strips and bolting them on so I can make my track somewhat modular.

RCP...I think I paid about $3 for a 2x2 tile

Ninja
2004.11.15, 03:24 PM
i got 48 of those fatigue mats where i work for FREE!!!!!!! :D i want to build my own track as well but dont really have the space. I was thinking of cutting some of my tiles into 1 1/2" strips and making the rails out of that. but i want to be able to take it apart as i dont have the room for the permanant setup

lightfighter
2004.11.15, 03:35 PM
Weather Striping for rails works great.......you can also play around with treating the surface on your track too and see how that plays out........I like the track at my house to be a little bit different so you will have to tweak your set up when you come over plus I like to change the layout around alot since I run 1/18th scale cars too and you need 48 inch lanes for that

arch2b
2004.11.15, 03:37 PM
Here is a photo of mine-
i've run on byebye'as track and it is very fun :p especially with an overland ;) it's pretty much make your own lane with them.
i think you could shoe horn 2 wide l's in if you ran a leg down the right side of the room :)

one thing byebye pointed out to me... the fatigue mats cause uneven tire wear for some odd reason. it was only really noticeable after he ran some tires on my rcp track.

regeardless of what track you get, whether it be modualr or home made, changin it and settting it up is always half the fun. if you don't enjoy it's what's the point?

Calgary_Racer
2004.11.15, 03:37 PM
Here is a photo of mine-
Is that "hot glue" the pistol that melts plastic bars?
I was looking at them just yesterday but I was not sure about using it for foam. How does it work? Does it melt the foam? Are you using a high o low temperature one?

Thanks in advance.

lightfighter
2004.11.15, 04:05 PM
they also make different types of contact cement that will allow you to peal back the walls without damaging the surfaces

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.15, 05:38 PM
Yeah, the RCP really isn't cheaper but there are a few things I wnt to do that I can't with an RCP (without an insanely expensive order)...basically have the track go from wode to narrow in a straightaway and some different angled turns. Its not that I have a lot of space but limited space and it needs to be taken do wn when not in use.

However, from what I have read, the RCP will fit the fatigure mats so I do plan on adding some off road tiles and maybe a wide L or two. I was thinking teh mini 96 it really is too small...or my drifing skilss are too poor :p .
RCP tracks fit fatigue mats... no way. I have both and there is no way that they "fit" don't know where you read that... and also, there are many manufacturers of fatigue mats and they all seem to have different teeth to hook together so you can't even buy different types of fatigue mats without doing the research.

byebye
2004.11.15, 07:51 PM
Is that "hot glue" the pistol that melts plastic bars?
I was looking at them just yesterday but I was not sure about using it for foam. How does it work? Does it melt the foam? Are you using a high o low temperature one?

Thanks in advance.

Yes it's the glue gun that you use for crafts. It slightly melts the foam together and is very durable. I do however have to repair some spots. At first I used small nails to hold the rails down but those quickly came out. I then glued the entire rail down but when you make track changes you have to peel it apart and it doesn't come apart as pretty. So in some spots it's just tacked down.

@ruknd@aol.com-
The fatigue mats come with 2 sraight borders that can be removed if you have more than 6 mats. I used the borders and glued them down to the top of the edges. At the end of straight they are doubled up to absorb any impact. It was a fun project and was done in about 2 hours. Because I use 8g tires and the surface is almost as sticky the cars fly around the track and quickly eat up tires. I only run counter clockwise so my right fronts are always worn pretty good.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.15, 08:22 PM
Byebye, not all fatigue mats come with borders, walmart ones don't. I had my fatigue mats for other purposes and then made a track for my brother with them.

byebye
2004.11.15, 09:20 PM
Mine only comes with enough to border a 3x2

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.15, 09:46 PM
Mine only comes with enough to border a 3x2
interesting...
I wonder why they had a weird number like that, unless your package contained an ammount of tiles different from mine.

Calgary_Racer
2004.11.16, 11:42 AM
Yes it's the glue gun that you use for crafts. It slightly melts the foam together and is very durable. I do however have to repair some spots. At first I used small nails to hold the rails down but those quickly came out. I then glued the entire rail down but when you make track changes you have to peel it apart and it doesn't come apart as pretty. So in some spots it's just tacked down.

@ruknd@aol.com-
The fatigue mats come with 2 sraight borders that can be removed if you have more than 6 mats. I used the borders and glued them down to the top of the edges. At the end of straight they are doubled up to absorb any impact. It was a fun project and was done in about 2 hours. Because I use 8g tires and the surface is almost as sticky the cars fly around the track and quickly eat up tires. I only run counter clockwise so my right fronts are always worn pretty good.
Thanks.
I just was not clear about one thing. You are using the plastic bas as adhesive, aren't you? Or are you melting the foam itself? I have seen that there are hi and low temperature bars. Do you remember which one you used?

Again, thanks in advance.

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.16, 12:11 PM
Mine from wally world did have ends which i just put on then bent up for the time being. 2 sets gave me a really small oval. I'll try weather stripping for a rail but I think I will use screws to hold it down and maintiain the sections so i can change the track on a whim.

byebye
2004.11.16, 01:49 PM
It's hot glue, not sure what kind. Once the hot glue hits the foam, the foam kind of melts and the glue adheres better. Umm it just works.

byebye
2004.11.16, 01:50 PM
interesting...
I wonder why they had a weird number like that, unless your package contained an ammount of tiles different from mine.
6 Tiles total of pep boys. Diamond plate on one side and slick on the other.

Calgary_Racer
2004.11.16, 03:22 PM
It's hot glue, not sure what kind. Once the hot glue hits the foam, the foam kind of melts and the glue adheres better. Umm it just works.
Thanks, I might try it this weekend.

arch2b
2004.11.16, 06:13 PM
does anyone want to start a new thread on "how to" for custom foam tracks? this way we can get back to the topic :p

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.16, 06:15 PM
does anyone want to start a new thread on "how to" for custom foam tracks? this way we can get back to the topic :p

haha its funny how we get off threads then further off till theres no thread left.

byebye
2004.11.16, 07:21 PM
Yeah that would be a good idea

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.17, 01:29 AM
NOt to continue on the detour but I did my track tonight...6 sets of wally world mats with the edged pinned down for borders and flipped up on the edges...really fun and I've got some wide to narrow areas...a 45 degree turn...fun and very changeable!