PDA

View Full Version : my first 1/10...don't laugh, it's nikko...

reaperman93010
2004.11.12, 11:49 AM
I spotted it at a local liquidator outlet for $50. Full propo, standard lexan body, regular wheels and tires, battery, completely ready to run--20 mph out of the box. What a bargain...but it's a nikko.

It isn't a terribly great car--think of it as an HPI Dash that takes standard xtals. But once I showed it to the guys at the LHS, they stopped laughing at me (mostly) and set me up with a very nice stock motor by trinity.

As soon as I got home, I instantly set aside the stock controller (It said 'Nikko' in big letters) for my trusty KT-2. Now I've got a car that drives faster than I feel safe for only about $80.

This is my first 1/10. Both power and speed (around 30-35 mph with trinity motor) are completely beyond my mini-rc vocabulary. Initially, I bought it to run on the local on-road track with fewer stares. All things considered, I'm very happy with my first 'basher' 1/10.

The good:
fully propo
standard xtals
standard wheels and tires
standard body and adjustable mounts
full metal drivetrain (thankfully)
differential (which isn't typical for a Nikko)
standard 1600 mah battery and charger included.
frighteningly fast
under $80 for full setup.

The bad:
Stiff stock suspension
Nobody but nikko will have parts should I damage the suspension
2wd
Plastic chassis with few adjustments
I wonder how hard it would be to change gearing...
1600 mah pack-in battery doesn't last long with power-hungry motor
If anybody finds out it's a nikko, I'll be laughed off the track.

cam2
2004.11.12, 12:35 PM
doesn't look bad at all for the money. :)

Ninja
2004.11.12, 01:40 PM
Rat shack sells the same car with a different radio for $200, i bought one a few years ago, and about 7 months ago it got ran over by a 18 wheeler. :D it is quite fast though for it to be a cheap car

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.12, 02:06 PM
ran over by an 18 wheeler...I guess it neede to be jsut a bit faster :eek: . I had a Tamiya Hotshot 4x4 run over by a car when I was a kid...damn thing still ran. All taht happened was a cracked chassis :D .

Ninja
2004.11.12, 02:22 PM
it got ran over b/c i was playing with it on my break at work, and i work at a trucking company so there are alot of trucks out there. it was my fault. the only thing it didnt hurt was the motor pod, which i still have if anybody needs it

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.12, 02:25 PM
seems like reaperman may be able to use it :p

G-Class
2004.11.12, 04:32 PM
That's a nice ride.

reaperman93010
2004.11.12, 04:48 PM
actually mine really doesn't have a motor pod. The back end slides off (somehow) but there's no flexpoint.

I don't see anything as wasted money at all. I figure it's got a body, a set of tires/wheels, a battery and charger--that's worth $50 alone and it's all stuff I'd need if I were to assemble a kit anyway. If I ever do get a chassis kit, I can even slide my current electronics in and limp along on those for a while. In short, I'll be able to upgrade a piece at a time if I want.

but I'm getting ahead of myself. I've got months of bashing before I upgrade anything but the batteries on this car.

now, I do have a couple basic (newb) questions. I'll probably take them over to a 1/10 board (and get laughed at) but I'll give it a shot here.

How do I stick my wheels down better? I've heard the term 'traction compound'--what is this?

As far as batteries, are they all nicad? can I get a 7.2v nimh pack and get longer run time? do they even make 'c' size nimh batteries or packs? In the mini world I'm glad we got rid of our nicads...because I'm getting like 5 min off this pack before it slows.

HammerZ
2004.11.12, 05:57 PM
Yes, there are NiMh sub-c packs that is around 3000 mah or more, The two that I run in my Clod if you would beleve it came from Radio Shack of all places.

McLaren F1 T3
2004.11.12, 06:02 PM
traction compound is usually dubbed as "saucing" your tires. there is traction compound (paragon fx i think is what mine is called) that you brush onto your surface of your tires ( only the part that contacts the surface your running on )onto your tires with this brush of some sort that comes with the can of traction compound and then you let it sit for a bit and then your tires great in traction. not all tracks allow traction compound tho. have fun!! :D