PDA

View Full Version : Bankings

gulfclk
2004.11.27, 04:35 PM
Is RCP planning to make some bankings in the near future? Would be a nice idea perhaps ....

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.27, 04:50 PM
I don't think that they plan on making banked turns as they have simply suggested that you put something under the turn and it created a banked turn... if you are thinking something like a nascar banked turn I think that you are out of luck, there hasn't been much talk of that at all.

Ken Mifune
2004.11.27, 10:16 PM
My last experiment with banked turns was about a year ago. I think my album shows the very first one made from Cresent board.

DogbreathRacing
2004.11.27, 10:34 PM
We have used banked turns on our Oval track. The ends of the Oval are ten feet wide so a 4X8 sheet of partical board slide under the turn and propped up on four concrete blocks works well, the partical board actually sags and that gives a nice banking effect to the turns. We do this an each end of the track and leave the long straights flat. The max height of the bank at the top is only about 6 inches, but it makes a dramatic effect on how the cars go through the turns.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.27, 10:37 PM
I have done quite a few experiements with banking my rcp track using ranger board.... 3/4 inch thick, heavy as hell... I didn't have particle board or anything more flexible on hand... I also did banking using shoe boxes (not your standard shoe box though, I wear size 15), that actually turned out much better, the tile flexibilty worked to my advantage. The track took longer to setup so I don't do it anymore unless someone requests that we should do it...

DogbreathRacing
2004.11.28, 02:03 AM
The particle board works very well and is very bendy. We also use it to make a quarter-pipe for our OL's...LOL

briankstan
2005.08.02, 12:59 AM
I'm reviving this topic, people have been talking about how to bank the corners on a rcp track. Here is my contribution.

So I started out by making my own track from the Walmart tiles. Well, after I got My RCP Track I had a stack of about 50 of these things. so here is what I came up with.

I cut the pattern and the underneith supports and used hot glue to glue them together.

Then I simply place them under the track.

there first pictures are of the Banked corner. from the top, bottom and side

Brian

briankstan
2005.08.02, 01:01 AM
here are the finished products under the RCP Track. I also made some different size bumps to go under the straight sections.

Brian

saiyan
2005.08.02, 01:38 AM
That looks awsome. Great idea to use the grey mats for your structures. Is that a mini-96 in the pics?

JustinL42
2005.08.02, 02:39 AM
That track looks sweet!!!! I bet that adds a whole new dimension to racing and what suspension setup you use. You should see if you could duplicate Laguna Seca...lol.

JustinL42

saiyan
2005.08.02, 04:22 AM
YA! The carousel would make for a skill testing corner. :cool:

briankstan
2005.08.02, 09:54 AM
That looks awsome. Great idea to use the grey mats for your structures. Is that a mini-96 in the pics?

it's actually just two corners short of 2 complete Wide L's. this is one of the practice tracks that I can set up in my basement.

It adds a totally different feel to the track, but it's alot of fun. I also have a big double bump that steps up from bump to bump. its about 8 ft. long so it works better if I use it under a longer straight.

Brian

saiyan
2005.08.03, 02:23 AM
That's cool about the step up, and 8' isn't too bad. Is the approach (or face) steep enough that if it was at the end of a long straight you could catch air on the first and land on the top? Sort of supercross meets GT4.

Now that i took another look at those pics i can tell that they are wide Ls. There aren't too many homes here in Phx that have basements, and the 1s that do are a bit pricey.

You ought to do a tutorial on those custom banking mats, though the pics are pretty much self-explanitory. I'm thinkin i might have to do some for mine, once we figuer out what track size we're gonna go with.

I may stick with the wide Ls and get the wide expansion kit and just modify some of those mats to hook up to the mini-96 tiles. It would be cool if RCP would just come out with like a 2 tile adaptor set already pre-made.

briankstan
2005.08.03, 10:53 AM
That's cool about the step up, and 8' isn't too bad. Is the approach (or face) steep enough that if it was at the end of a long straight you could catch air on the first and land on the top? Sort of supercross meets GT4.

I may stick with the wide Ls and get the wide expansion kit and just modify some of those mats to hook up to the mini-96 tiles. It would be cool if RCP would just come out with like a 2 tile adaptor set already pre-made.

I totally agree with the adapter kit. I also wish they would do a larger radius turn. I'm almost sure that just about everyone that has a RCP track would want to get them.

I made the step up pretty mild on the approach, I have a few of the others that you catch a little air on. if you hit it to fast you end up upside down. It's albout when to let off the throttle. that's part of the fun.

Brian

arch2b
2005.08.03, 01:01 PM
excellent work!!! glad to see more rcp owners using variations in grade on their track. i had not done it in several months other than the overland trail which is a tad more extreme than bumps or banks :p

great job :D

man, if i only had some spare mdo board i'd cut some templates for bumps and skin them with cardboard or something. the trick with banked turns is to get the approach and departure angles rather smooth or the cars simply catch on the slope.

saiyan
2005.08.09, 02:43 AM
I'm trying to get regular access to my clubhouse for our gtg and if i can swing it then i'll put some of these ideas to use. I was thinking of having an elevated long back straight with parts of the track goin under it. I can use some grey mats to make the transition angles as i would need to be able to tear it down for storing. Plus it might be good for the noobies to have a banked turn at the end for when they don't slow down enough for the corner. ;)

briankstan
2005.08.09, 03:57 AM
keep me updated and post some pics of what you come up with. It really maks a fun track to change the elevations and have the banks and hills. The only bad thing is the more you put in the faster your batteries wear out. :eek:

Brian