PDA

View Full Version : RCP Track Building Program

RCPMini-z
2004.11.27, 11:36 PM
MZR has just finished the first edition of the RCP Track building program. Take a look and let us know what you think. It is a work in progress so your suggestions and comments will be much appreciated. We have some cool features that will be added to the program later.

www.rcptrackbuilder.com Click on each tile section and drag to new location.

I think it would be cool to give each new layout created a name, so once the online racing program is up an running, people can communicate to each other which layout they are running. A gallery can then be created with the RCP layouts and respective names, so members can compare lap times on each specific layout.

We have the new RCP rail liner prototypes in the shop and are running some tests with them installed on inside and outside turns. I will post some pictures of them shortly. They are made from very thin plastic and will help the cars slide off the corners under angled impacts and also offer some cushion to help protect the bodies.

herman
2004.11.28, 12:02 AM
cool site.... wish you could save the tracks you made on your computer...

Draconious
2004.11.28, 12:05 AM
use screen shot ;) lol

herman
2004.11.28, 12:16 AM
how do i do that... (shows how ignorant i am about computers)...

here's another suggestion... how about a drag drop option or select sections by hitting the ctl button or a copy functon... and a mirror function left right / up down...

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.28, 12:24 AM
The site is a static page for me... can't move any of the images, just see a wide L layout... :( Not Mozilla friendly?

Works fine on Internet Exploder but not on firefox... oh well... no biggie

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.28, 12:27 AM
how do i do that... (shows how ignorant i am about computers)...

here's another suggestion... how about a drag drop option or select sections by hitting the ctl button or a copy functon... and a mirror function left right / up down...
Open up Microsoft Paint, assuming that you are running a PC with Microsoft Windows.

Go to the webpage that you want to capture the image of and press the "Print Screen" key on your keyboard.

Go into Microsoft Paint and go to the edit menu and press paste.

Save the file where ever you want ;)

DogbreathRacing
2004.11.28, 01:35 AM
Very cool and a great way to plan out tracks, but the one thing missing is a 45 degree section....we use the cheapo walmart tiles and have cut some 45 degrees, at first we used these instead of the round corners but as we went along we found that using the 45's enabled us to build diagonal shutes about 30 inches wide and they are also very useful for building chicanes.

MattPaintballer
2004.11.28, 03:05 AM
Too bad it's not Mozilla friendly... but other than that its great! The drag and drop is MUCH better than TrackMaker's sytem oh my god TrackMaker takes freaking FOREVER to make stuff! You guys should get 45 degree tiles for the trackbuilder and the real RCP :D.

PhantomMaxx
2004.11.28, 04:10 AM
Looks great! However I am on a Mac using Safari and it doesn't quite work for me.

On a seperate note, does anyone know where is the best place to buy the RCP-Track?

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.28, 02:12 PM
A few suggestions for future release:

A CLEAR function so that you can start fresh without having to move all the tiles that are currently on the screen.

Offer a few more example layouts, you have tonns and tonns on your website, it wouldn't take long to implement.

As for the 45* tile that people are talking about, com'on guys, they're trying to sell their product, not an anti-fatigue mat... get real :p

SeniorChief
2004.11.28, 02:42 PM
On a seperate note, does anyone know where is the best place to buy the RCP-Track?
Got mine right here in the shop.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.28, 03:15 PM
RCP has the best connection with this site.. if you don't get it directly from RCP then get it from the shop here for sure... of course, the price is uaully fixed, I haven't seen them for anything higher than the stated price so ordering it from radioshack is always a possibility... but I would suggest to order from the shop... and remember kids, shipping is included :D

RCPMini-z
2004.11.28, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the comments. The current trackbuilder program is very basic and will have many more features added to it later. We wanted to get something up and running, so people could start designing new layouts, right away.

Some users have mentioned the need for 45 degree transitions. We have not manufactured this transition as of yet, but there is a way to do this with existing tiles. It doesn’t look as nice as a true 45 transition, but it still accomplishes the same thing. See below for one way to do this with RCP inside and outside corners.

If you want to save a track layout from the RCP trackbuilder program, it is best to save it to paint as mentioned above. Use the print screen key and paste it to paint. You can save your layout to a .GIF file and post it here on MZR. MZR will provide a gallery section for all future layouts. Please post your layouts to the new RCP trackbuilder program gallery, so all can view your creations. Give each new layout a number for example; RCP-36. You can put your member name next to each number, if you like.

Some of the features that you will see later include:

1) Option to choose screen to start with a blank slate, Wide L, Wide Oval, Mini-96, etc.
2) Option to see total track dimensions
3) Option to see your track in 3D
4) Option to input quantity of tracks you have and the program will only make available the number of pieces contained in the kits.
5) MZR gallery with all the different layouts created by members. It would be nice to have every new layout given a specific name so it will be easily identified when using future online racing programs.

DogbreathRacing
2004.11.28, 08:45 PM
As for the 45* tile that people are talking about, com'on guys, they're trying to sell their product, not an anti-fatigue mat... get real

Get Real!!!??? When have you ever been to a real race track where all the lanes are layed at at 90 degree angles? Of course you need 45's, it adds a whole new dimension to the way you can lay out a track, it is only in their best interest to add a 45.

DAMZer
2004.11.28, 09:30 PM
Great, been waiting for this

Here's my lighltly modded Mini 96

efsee
2004.11.29, 12:12 AM
Hey, very nice program RCP!

I wanted to try it out, so here is the 3 Wide "L" track layout we will be running tomorrow at our local races. I already tried the track, and it's fun having the optional section in it.

By the way, you will notice I ran out of pieces for my layout. If possible, it would be a nice feature if you could input the number of tracks, lets say 3 wide L's, and the program would show you just the number of pieces found in 3 wide "L" tracks. Then you would also need to add a 90 degree rotation feature for the pieces, so one can place them in the needed orientation.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.11.29, 02:42 AM
I said the "get real" comment in regards to what I have read from other posters... Yes, there is a great need for a 45 degree tile, and I welcome it and want some badly but currently there are not any tiles of 45 degree turns and having the option in the program would leave the program open to be used for others to design their custom fatigue mat tracks, not somethign RCP would be too happy with I would assume... they are trying to sell a product, I was just saying that I think that having something in a program to build their product that was not in their current prodcuts would be a far fetched idea... *shrug*

ExtraPickles
2004.11.29, 09:47 AM
There's not near enough tiles.

DogbreathRacing
2004.11.29, 01:06 PM
I said the "get real" comment in regards to what I have read from other posters... Yes, there is a great need for a 45 degree tile, and I welcome it and want some badly but currently there are not any tiles of 45 degree turns and having the option in the program would leave the program open to be used for others to design their custom fatigue mat tracks, not somethign RCP would be too happy with I would assume... they are trying to sell a product, I was just saying that I think that having something in a program to build their product that was not in their current prodcuts would be a far fetched idea... *shrug*
Well I was hoping that they would add the 45 to the product line as well as the program :D

RCPMini-z
2004.11.29, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the great suggestions. I wasn't aware that you would run out of tiles on the program. We should get that fixed shortly. There will probably be a few other bugs here and there, since the program is very new and basic and hasn't had much beta testing time. Hope to add some of the members suggested features to the program very soon.

ruknd@aol.com
2004.11.29, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the great suggestions. I wasn't aware that you would run out of tiles on the program. We should get that fixed shortly. There will probably be a few other bugs here and there, since the program is very new and basic and hasn't had much beta testing time. Hope to add some of the members suggested features to the program very soon.

Would you be able to decide on your space available...curtail a few tracks for that space then purchase accordingly?

RCPMini-z
2004.11.29, 02:43 PM
Would you be able to decide on your space available...curtail a few tracks for that space then purchase accordingly?

Yes, this is a feature that has been discussed. Either put in your space available or the quantity of tracks you wish to use. I think it might be easier to have the program give you the exact quantity of pieces contained in a specific number of tracks, then you can design your tracks and the program will tell you the total dimensions.

Once the gallery is created, you will also be able to view it and see all the different tracks members have designed and pick out the ones that will fit in your space and order accordingly.

MZR has updated the program and has programmed more tiles into the data base. Give it a try.

TNB
2004.11.29, 02:52 PM
I didn't notice any off-road tiles when I clicked on the link.

Draconious
2004.11.29, 02:57 PM
I've been working on hacking the very simple code... hehe.. including the ability to rotate the track tiles instead of having one of each angle... it almost works... and since im gunho with the 45 tiles ill prolly toss my tiles in lol.

ExtraPickles
2004.11.29, 03:46 PM
I wasn't aware that you would run out of tiles on the program. We should get that fixed shortly.

Plenty of tiles for my setup now.

arch2b
2004.11.29, 03:56 PM
i've always been in favor of the permanent tile menu which you simply pick one off the top like a deck of cards and rotate if needed. this reduces the number of tiles in the menu as well.

RCPMini-z
2004.11.29, 03:59 PM
Plenty of tiles for my setup now.

Good to hear.

After seeing your layout it reminded me that we need to add some center print finish line tiles, for those who are adding width expansions. We do have both of the 30 cm and 50 cm finish line tiles in 3 and 4 tiles wide.

ExtraPickles
2004.11.29, 05:18 PM
Good to hear.

After seeing your layout it reminded me that we need to add some center print finish line tiles, for those who are adding width expansions. We do have both of the 30 cm and 50 cm finish line tiles in 3 and 4 tiles wide.

Yes sir, and thanks for hooking me up with the 30 cm center finish line tile. The new black rails with the RCP-Tracks printed on them also look great.

-pickles

RCPMini-z
2004.12.01, 04:44 PM
Until a new gallery is created, go ahead and post all your new RCP track layouts to the RCP gallery section link below. Any member can add photos to this gallery.

http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/RCP-Tracks?page=1

Give each new layout a name and number like this: RCP-24 This will make it easy for members to see all the different layouts and communicate to other members which track they are running. We can then create a MZR best lap time and car set up chart for each layout to compare others times around the world.

Please indicate if your layout is using RCP Mini-tiles. If you are using Mini Tiles, just indicate this with your track ID number for example Mini RCP-24.

TNB
2004.12.01, 05:28 PM
Then there is the Mini & Maxi combination. ;) Dang, I noticed a cute little MMT in that album. :D

arch2b
2004.12.01, 06:02 PM
Until a new gallery is created, go ahead and post all your new RCP track layouts to the RCP gallery section link below. Any member can add photos to this gallery.

http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/RCP-Tracks?page=1

Give each new layout a name and number like this: RCP-24 This will make it easy for members to see all the different layouts and communicate to other members which track they are running. We can then create a MZR best lap time and car set up chart for each layout to compare others times around the world.

Please indicate if your layout is using RCP Mini-tiles. If you are using Mini Tiles, just indicate this with your track ID number for example Mini RCP-24.
RCP, if you have any gallery requests for albums, just let me know and will have it taken care of :p

ruknd@aol.com
2004.12.01, 06:06 PM
RCP, if you have any gallery requests for albums, just let me know and will have it taken care of :p
man...it seems RCP keeps improving and improving...once its nice out and my fatigues ahve taken a beating I'm gonn ahave to bite the bullet and order a few mini96s....

RCPMini-z
2004.12.01, 07:08 PM

What do you think would be best? Here is what I am thinking.

1) A gallery to show everyone’s new layout using the trackbuilding program, so people can go to one place to view all the layouts for new ideas.

2) The ability to give each layout an ID by name and number.

3) A place to post lap times by a given amount of laps. This can either be in the same gallery or another section that identifies each track ID and has places to enter lap times, number of laps and a brief description of car set up. The lap times can either be done by standard stop watch or professional lap timing system.

This will be very useful for the members and will make it interesting to see all the different layouts. It will also be useful once the Core system is up and running, so people can race each other using specific layouts identified by the track ID. Kyosho has a similar set up in Japan, which specifies a given RCP layout and lap times for modified, stock, pro and intermediate racers. There will be many factors that might affect the lap times, like temperature, tire wear, etc. but it would be fun to see some of the comparisons by the members here.

We currently have many RCP customers all over the world and more new users each day. I think it would be great to have a link from the RCP website to the MZR gallery of track layouts, so people from all over can participate in the gallery and benefit from the set ups and lap times people post.

RCPMini-z
2004.12.01, 07:49 PM
For those of you working with the program, here is a list of pieces contained in each RCP kit. The Mini-40 is not shown on this list but has the same amount of pieces as the WIde L, but uses the mini-tiles.

lightfighter
2004.12.01, 08:48 PM
The site is a static page for me... can't move any of the images, just see a wide L layout... :( Not Mozilla friendly?

Works fine on Internet Exploder but not on firefox... oh well... no biggie

We need FireFox support I won't use and don't use I.E.

arch2b
2004.12.01, 09:12 PM
RCP,
there is already an rcp tracks album in the featured gallery and you have a member album. do you wnat a new one and if so, where would you like it to go? right now i have the featured gallery album open to everyone to upload, if you do this within a member album or anywhere else i will have to set the permissions for that album so it can be used by everyone.

i really like what you have in mind, so let me know how i can make it happen :p

lightfighter
2004.12.01, 09:42 PM

well I did use it to play with your program...........it rocks

RCPMini-z
2004.12.01, 10:42 PM
RCP,
there is already an rcp tracks album in the featured gallery and you have a member album. do you wnat a new one and if so, where would you like it to go? right now i have the featured gallery album open to everyone to upload, if you do this within a member album or anywhere else i will have to set the permissions for that album so it can be used by everyone.

i really like what you have in mind, so let me know how i can make it happen :p

Maybe you can move all the track pictures to the RCP member album and then use the RCP feature gallery for the members track layouts. This way everyone can download their layouts. Unless you just want to keep the RCP feature album the same and add another album for track layouts.

As far as the lap time and car set ups, is there a way to set up a gallery or something that people can continue to add their own lap times and set ups to a specific track layout. The way the RCP gallery is set up now, you can't go back and edit the picture with new member lap times and car set ups. Do you know what I mean? Maybe David can set up something special for the lap times and set ups, so people can continue to add new information to each specific layout.

The way it should ultimately be set up, is you would have a track ID number like RCP - 1 and under the ID, members can add their own information such as lap time, type of car, set up, number of laps, etc.

Here is one set of layouts for reference. Members don't have to put the quantity of pieces for their layouts. I did it hear so people can reference what comes in the standard kits.

RCPMini-z
2004.12.01, 10:50 PM
well I did use it to play with your program...........it rocks

Thanks, MZR (mini-z) and I worked together on the functionality and he actually was the one who wrote the program. We will continue to work together on new features and improving the program.

ruknd@aol.com
2004.12.01, 11:27 PM
Thanks, MZR (mini-z) and I worked together on the functionality and he actually was the one who wrote the program. We will continue to work together on new features and improving the program.
Yeah once spring rolls around I'm gonna have to grap an RCP...for now I'll let my fatigues sit on my deck and get beaten up (a racoon stole part of a tile the other night,, hehehe). I'm also getting a but aggrivated on the fit quality but at least I ruied cheap 70 cent a square foot mats doing my experiments that the nice RCPs. I do have ideas of coasting a few with that foam ina can for the depot and carving a OL/Monster trail..I'll be able to place those mats over the RCP or jsut do a transition like TNB. Anyway enough babbly and off topic talk how does everyone store these things?

Twenty-Se7en
2004.12.03, 07:39 AM
My most recent thoughts: (you knew they were coming ;) )

Alright. I'm not sure how you have it currently programed... it looks like simple javascript, I didn't take too much notice. I think that you should make a transition to something that has a lot more programming ability. I would suggest Macromedia Flash as you can do quite a bit of scripting.

The option to record and log all the tracks that are created and saved into a log file and using a number coding system would be great. It wouldn't be that hard really, when you think about it. For example, say you have a 10x10 tile surface, remember this is an example, the top left block could be coded as 1-1-X, where X is the tile type number and the first digit is the row, and the second digit is the column. A script for this type of thing really isn't that complicated... i'm not sure who is working on this, but that should be suggested.

The major benifit of this is that people can post the number of their track that they have created, or a small txt based file that could be loaded into the program which loads up the image of the track rather than posting all the images. I'd much rather have a list of small files to load into the track builder or pick from a list of saved files on the server (which would be less space than pictures obviously) than downloading images all the time... it's cleaner and more effecient and definitly worth looking into.

mini-z
2004.12.03, 07:48 PM

It's coming - we just needed to have something up ASAP - this is the tip of the iceberg! :)

RCPMini-z
2004.12.08, 11:30 AM
Thanks mini-z. Yes, many more features coming very soon, including lap time and car set up posting.

RCPMini-z
2004.12.13, 12:39 AM
Here is one layout a customer in New York is putting together for 1/18 scale and larger RC vehicles.

If anyone has some custom layouts they designed using the RCP program, be sure to post them here, until the new gallery is up and running.

ruknd@aol.com
2004.12.13, 09:35 AM
My LHS, Long Island Hobby and Raceway) is looking to put up a track for mini-t...hopefully when its up I can convince them to add a night of Z racing. Nevertheless, the T track would be nice because the 1/10 track is jsut to big for the Ts. They don't handle the jumps well, it's sort of like hucking a 1/10 buggy off a cliff. Anyway...I told them that RCP seems to be getting the best reviews and has the best quality control and durability. Let me know if were gettign one of your creations there. It would also be nice for them to get a section like the OL section at the vegas show but bigger.

mini-z
2004.12.21, 02:53 PM
If anyone has some custom layouts they designed using the RCP program, be sure to post them here, until the new gallery is up and running.

It's up and running now:

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16263

Please post your tracks there starting from now. Thanks! :)

RCPMini-z
2004.12.21, 03:43 PM
It's up and running now:

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16263

Please post your tracks there starting from now. Thanks! :)

Can you explain the best way for the members to save a RCP layout from the building program and which file would be best to save it as?

mini-z
2004.12.21, 03:45 PM
Printscreen, then paste to your favorite paint/photo app. Save as .jpg, and upload. Please post to the above sticky thread if anyone encounters problems uploading. Thanks! :)

davkin
2004.12.21, 09:40 PM
I'm actually planning on breaking down and getting some RCP tracks next year. It would be fun to play with the track builder in the mean time, however if you have plans to make some more modifications to the program I have a couple suggestions. I would like to be able to delineate a maximum space for the track. The simplest way would be to add grid to that background with lines in a known increment, such as 2 ft. Even better would be to be able to actually draw the layout of the space available, but that would be complicated I'm sure. Also, it would be helpful to be able to add a whole track to the available pieces. It's nice to start with a single wide L, but even better would be able to tell the program which tracks you have and have it only allow you to use the pieces you have available.

David

Twenty-Se7en
2004.12.22, 12:09 AM
I'm actually planning on breaking down and getting some RCP tracks next year. It would be fun to play with the track builder in the mean time, however if you have plans to make some more modifications to the program I have a couple suggestions. I would like to be able to delineate a maximum space for the track. The simplest way would be to add grid to that background with lines in a known increment, such as 2 ft. Even better would be to be able to actually draw the layout of the space available, but that would be complicated I'm sure. Also, it would be helpful to be able to add a whole track to the available pieces. It's nice to start with a single wide L, but even better would be able to tell the program which tracks you have and have it only allow you to use the pieces you have available.

David
Break down and get them if you can. You wont regret it. Best hop-up ever!!

ruknd@aol.com
2004.12.22, 12:56 AM
I'm good for a mini 95 and some lane wideners once the weather eases up.

davkin
2004.12.22, 01:04 AM

Actually, I like my home made track just fine, but would like to have a track with wider lanes for racing outside during the summer. I'll probably continue to use the home made track during the winter due to limited space.

David

ruknd@aol.com
2004.12.22, 01:06 AM
Actually, I like my home made track just fine, but would like to have a track with wider lanes for racing outside during the summer. I'll probably continue to use the home made track during the winter due to limited space.

David
I like mine too but the weather will be taking a toll on it...tis covered in snow right now :rolleyes: ...maybe I need the snowproof OL mod :p .

arch2b
2004.12.30, 06:01 PM
i was trying to make some of my alternate layout plans and it seems some of the tiles are missing from the menu? such as the top right hand turn tile and right hand straight rail tile.

RCPMini-z
2005.01.19, 06:22 PM
We are working on some new features to the track building program. They include;

...pre-drawn RCP track kit layouts

...quantity of RCP track kits and tiles needed to make each custom layout

...dimensions for overall track area needed for each new layout built

Later;

...allow users to link to current lap times and set ups for specific track layouts

...allow users to link to club track times and setups via the Core lap timing system and website.

GiantScale
2005.01.20, 08:34 AM
Here is one layout a customer in New York is putting together for 1/18 scale and larger RC vehicles.

Could you post a picture of the walls used for 1/18th & larger? And maybe one of your new wall system?

Thanks

Shelby
2005.01.26, 07:20 PM
Is ther a way to make the program larger so a longer track can be made? Some of the tracks I see being used by kyosho are much longer than can be built on your site. I want to make some different tracks and maybe send them to Kyosho as a suggestion to use for some of there future races. Great program, btw.

ruf
2005.01.26, 07:35 PM
I make them in sections and cut and paste them together with an image editor. I wish I could upload them. I have a 25x50' track that looks pretty promising. :)

TNB
2005.01.26, 07:52 PM
How many Ls do you plan to run, 7 or 8? I think mine is around 40' long or 24 tiles, though I could always use the extra space in order to have a large onroad RCP Track as well as the off-road track set up at the same time without having to open the bay door.

Shelby
2005.01.26, 09:26 PM
I dont have any rcp tracks right now. I plan to buy two wide L tracks from here in the next few weeks. I like messing around with the program and would like to design some big tracks with it. Who designs the layouts kyosho uses?

ruf
2005.01.26, 10:56 PM
It was just a concept for a large dream track. It's 30x14 50cm tiles. There's no way that I could afford $2000 worth of RCP, though... :D

Shelby
2005.01.27, 12:19 AM
You can build a 18 tile long track on the site that I believe comes out to about 30 ft and 14ft of track comes out to about 8 tiles wide. This would meen you need around 150 tiles total. With the pricing from this forum site it would cost you about 796 dollars if my figures are right.
edit; now that I read your post again maybe you ment 30 tiles long. that would be a big track. :eek:

Twenty-Se7en
2005.11.27, 01:29 PM
There is another track builder program out there from a sweedish site that I came across that seems to be better than any of the ones around... It is easy to change the pieces by clicking on the same block... it is fast and simple.

http://www.geekjoan.com/track_design.htm