PDA

View Full Version : RCP Track Surface Preference

planga
2004.12.13, 01:40 PM
I am planning on purchasing an RCP track in the near future. I was wondering which track surface is most widely used, the "smooth" side or the extra-traction "textured" side, and why you prefer it. ...or do some people prefer both depending on the type of car/tires running on the track (sorry, I didn't leave an option in the poll for this choice).

I want to build it initially with the best side up.

Thanks!

arch2b
2004.12.13, 01:49 PM
over time the textured side will lossen up in a sense. i've had mine since they first debuted on mini-zracer adn it's noticebly not as sticky as byebye's new track. not so much that you would have to change your setup, just maybe the front tires.

TNB
2004.12.13, 04:36 PM
Past Events:

Xmod XRL Tournament - Smooth side up.
Mini-Z-Cup - Textured side up.

ruknd@aol.com
2004.12.18, 04:16 AM
Hyew RCP...its seems my LHS (LI Raceway in Farmingdale NY) is "commissioning" an RCP track for the shop. Particularly for Mini Zs. I've expressed my interest in supporting the old Z there with out much success. Care to help? Lol.

Seriously though...is this a modular track? What are the track details. Oh, and take extra special care..and be sure to send some kits for stocking...yeah....I'm sure once I try one I'm in for a mini 96 with expansion lanes.

gasman1
2005.03.11, 11:33 AM
I've been running the smooth side since I got the track from MZR. The rough side creates way too much black dust for inside the house. I t also gets into the cars pretty bad.

TNB
2005.03.11, 12:39 PM
Did you vacuum the track first? That picks up a lot of the loose dust used in the making of the track. Myself, I vacuum my track every time I change the layout. Just don't get the vacuum brushes too low or it may put a grove into the track itself.

arch2b
2005.03.11, 01:46 PM
yes, vaccuum's with spining bristles will gouge the track if they are set too low. i've done it :rolleyes:

no matter how many times you do vaccuum, the dust always comes back. personally i don't care. i don't go rolling around on my track so it's never a real problem. all you have to do i ssimply blow it off your cars when your done.

gasman1
2005.03.11, 02:13 PM
Did you vacuum the track first? That picks up a lot of the loose dust used in the making of the track. Myself, I vacuum my track every time I change the layout. Just don't get the vacuum brushes too low or it may put a grove into the track itself.

I havn't used the rough side at my house. I do vacuum the track and wipe it down with a damp cloth periodically. I have my track in the basement on a white rug. The carpet would be black in no time.

bda52
2005.03.15, 04:53 PM
Just got my RCP today. Started with smooth side up but quickly flipped it over to textured side. I need to upgrade the tires so I can actually get some traction on either side though for my MR02. My 2 CP cup cars run pretty good on it. First car has stock fronts and 10 deg Atomic rears, yes it does push a bit. Second cup car has GPM foams on all 4's. That one hooks up well. I will try to get some pics soon of it all.

byebye
2005.03.16, 12:24 AM
Ya know I can't really vote for either. i'm running the slick side right now and my cars are setup for it. If I flip to the other side I believe my cars would stick better since I have the cars setup with very soft tires for the slick side. The thing I like most about the slick side is that you can see the tire wear on the track. Burnouts, spinouts, slides all show up on the track.

The textured side is much nicer to look at though. I'm less likely to traction roll on the textured side though but that's just me. I can tell you that arch2b has traction rolled several times on my track. When I get back from the "low security prison" I'm going to flip it back over to the textured side.

-Byebye