PDA

View Full Version : RCPTrackBuilder.com Tracks Gallery

mini-z
2004.12.20, 04:57 PM
RCPTrackBuilder.com users: check out our Tracks Gallery:

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery

Upload your screen captures, post your best lap times, and share your layout ideas.

For ease of reference, please name your tracks as follows:

RCP-##: Title

e.g. RCP-01: arch2b's RCP Track

where ## is the next available sequential number (i.e. take the # from the last uploaded track and add 1) and Title is the title you'd like to give it. For Mini (30com) tile tracks, please label as:

RCPMini-##: Title

e.g. RCPMini-01: mini-z's Practice Track.

If you have any problems uploading, please post here. Only Forum Members can post obviously. :)

arch2b
2004.12.20, 05:09 PM
:D cool! this should be fun and interesting

ruf
2005.01.25, 03:10 PM
I can't post to it. Is this gallery down?

arch2b
2005.01.26, 06:51 PM
I can't post to it. Is this gallery down?
attach the image here as instructed
If you have any problems uploading, please post here. Only Forum Members can post obviously.

ruf
2005.01.27, 02:04 AM
Oops. I thought they meant to upload it directly to the gallery...

Here's the big track. Will work for a 50'x25' space.

Also something I made for crazy tight work. Single lane, triple layer track using one Mini-96.

TNB
2005.01.27, 11:00 AM
That's a lot of tiles to lay down and a lot of space. I changed the layout on my track last night and extended the straight just a little bit, but then I made the turn at the end of the straight more difficult. If you get really bored and want to recreate my layouts using the program, I'd say go ahead (with TNB numbering of course) though the elevated portions, the bridge, and the custom cut tiles may create some problems.

ruf
2005.01.27, 11:19 AM
Yah I was thinking about it for a large event. I used to design the tracks for my ROAR events so I always try to take into consideration the competitive nature of 10 drivers in the 1st turn. Double sweeper and a relatively open first half of the track seems to be the best solution for that in my experience. The beauty of Mini-Z is that you can make a track so big that its hard to memorize. 24 turns with a few of them similar, but not the same tends to make people drive the course instead of locking into that lapping routine. Once I start getting past the 20-30s laptime mark, I tend to group corners for rhythm instead of the whole track which is kinda nice imo. The downside is that the big track would take over $2000 (10 sets) of RCP track to build. I'm hoping RCP Tracks can do something like this for a big race sometime.

If I get that bored, I'll lay out some of your tracks. I 1/3 shift a lot of the tiles on the program for my own stuff, but I was pretty standard on the spacing for these so don't worry about the non-standard tiles. You have any faves/requests?

TNB
2005.01.27, 11:58 AM
The particular layout doesn't matter to me since I try to change the layouts every 1-2 weeks anyway--I can't really memorize the layout that way and it forces me to drive the track. And since you are doing the recreating, I'd leave the choice up to you as long as you keep the corresponding layout number so I can add the design layout to the particular album as an example. Then I'll add a blurb under the design layout giving you credit for taking the time to put it into the track builder. I also have a larger photo saved on my computer of the first layout photos in each album if you want to work from that since the gallery photos are smaller and more difficult to count the tiles. However, you would still need to refer to the smaller photos to capture the entire track layout since the layouts are too large to capture in a single photo with any detail. Just let me know if you want me to email you the larger photo if needed. Thanks in advance.

ruf
2005.01.27, 01:07 PM
TNB-15

I guessed on the left side. Is it correct?

ruf
2005.01.27, 01:39 PM
TNB-06

I kinda like this one. Again I guessed on the left side.

TNB
2005.01.27, 01:45 PM
Re TNB-15,
That was quick. The diagram is close. There are two more starting grids, another bump behind the garage building, the finish line is a three tile near the upper left hand corner, and then there are those off-road expansion pack tiles in the "mini-pit" or trap depending on how you look at it. :D

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album485/LL15_4.jpg
http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album485/LL15_6.jpg
http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album485/LL15_7.jpg

Re TNB-6,
Both the extreme front section and extreme rear section needs to be extended one tile more. I'm guessing the off-road tiles show up as gray instead of brown unlike the other program I tried some time ago.

ruf
2005.01.27, 01:59 PM
TNB-15 done.

This is kinda therapeudic... :rolleyes:

TITANIUM
2005.01.27, 01:59 PM
ruf, i really liked the layout used at the mini-cup in anahiem...

http://kyosho.com/events/mini-z-cup2004-results.html

ruf
2005.01.27, 02:01 PM
There are no offroad tiles. I'm just blocking them in.

RCPMini-z
2005.01.27, 02:03 PM
TNB, I will have the brown off road tiles added along with a couple of other features.

RCPMini-z
2005.01.27, 02:12 PM

http://kyosho.com/events/mini-z-cup2004-results.html

Yes, I like that layout as well. We are currently working with PN Racing regarding using a similar layout for the PN worlds regionals, with some minor changes.

2004 finals track layouts can be viewed in the RCP Tracks gallery link below.

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/RCP-Tracks?page=9

ruf
2005.01.27, 02:21 PM
Re TNB-6,
Both the extreme front section and extreme rear section needs to be extended one tile more. I'm guessing the off-road tiles show up as gray instead of brown unlike the other program I tried some time ago.Like this?

ruf
2005.01.27, 03:28 PM

http://kyosho.com/events/mini-z-cup2004-results.htmlI almost started laying that one out from the pics until I saw RCP's post. It's already up in the gallery! :cool:

TITANIUM
2005.01.27, 03:51 PM
this was a real good race set-up...until they changed it....bigger would have been nicer, but i wasnt complaining...

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/RCP-Tracks/PN_racing

TNB
2005.01.27, 03:58 PM
TNB-15 done.

This is kinda therapeudic... :rolleyes:
There still is the other bump behind the garage. Other than that I believe you got it. :)
http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album485/LL15_6.jpg

Re TNB-6. I believe you got it. :D

this was a real good race set-up...until they changed it....bigger would have been nicer, but i wasnt complaining...

I won't even comment on that post... since there might be a female stalking, oops, I mean lurking in the wings.

TITANIUM
2005.01.27, 04:31 PM
LOL, :) it would be you to see it that way.....(living in the land of silicon implants)

ruf
2005.01.27, 07:25 PM
Here's something I made to cram into my bedroom. For those late night bouts of insomnia! :cool:

The 2 black rectangles are my bed and my desk, and the goofy curve is my door. :D

TNB
2005.01.27, 07:47 PM
Is there a "cat" option on that program? If I set up the track in the house, I'd need to show one cat sitting next to the track and the other chasing the Zs on the track. ;)

ruf
2005.01.27, 07:52 PM
There still is the other bump behind the garage. Other than that I believe you got it. :)
http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album485/LL15_6.jpgDone. TNB-15 final version. No cats. :D

TNB
2005.01.27, 08:08 PM
Thanks a lot. I'll add that one too with another blurb giving you credit. ;)

TNB
2005.01.27, 08:18 PM
TNB, I will have the brown off road tiles added along with a couple of other features.
I may get to see Tigger & Bennie on the track yet. ;)

ruf
2005.01.27, 10:33 PM
TNB-07. Check please! :D

TNB
2005.01.28, 11:01 AM
"Missed" the bumps.... I also used straight tiles on the left hand sides of the small area near the building and under the bridge. The funny thing is that to me the tracks seem more complicated in the diagrams than they do in real life. Great job.

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album447/RCPLL7_3

ruf
2005.01.28, 01:25 PM
Done. TNB-07.

TNB
2005.01.28, 01:48 PM
Although I noticed one tile off, I'm not complaining especially since most wouldn't notice the difference and it doesn't effect the running area since it is near the bridge. Considering the track-builder view, no wonder some people call my layouts "snake tracks." :D Keep up the good work--In my opinion, it my be easier for me to layout the tracks on a whim than for someone else trying to recreate my own layouts. ;)

ruf
2005.02.01, 01:16 PM
TNB-16. You're killing me with having to guess on the nearside... :rolleyes:

ruf
2005.02.01, 01:18 PM
BTW, while I like your other layouts, this is the first real RACEtrack that I've seen out of the bunch. Very good spacing, lines, and rhythm. The other ones were cool, but more of a hobby/play track. This one seems to have more accomodations for different lines and areas for passing manuevers.

TNB
2005.02.01, 06:20 PM
I used the "same" finish-line corner as in the prior layout. There should be no reason to guess since I usually have numerous views in Gallery TNB though they may not be on the actual track thread or on my website. ;)

Regarding this "race" layout, the big difference is that I actually set this layout up so that the California and Utah members could actually come here and race instead of us locals pharting around the obsticles since we think the bridges and elevated straights are kind of cool. :cool: Of course, even some of the non-locals got a kick out of flying 4 tiles through the air and making a great landing. :D

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album560/LL16_8

By the way, I don't care what anyone else thinks. You're doing a great job with the program. :)

ruf
2005.02.01, 09:42 PM
Done! TNB-16

Who be talkin smack about my RCP skillz? 1 l@yz d@ t1l3z like n0 oN3 3lz3! :cool: :D

TNB
2005.02.01, 10:22 PM
Looking good. I may have to go run on my own layout. ;) I have yet to run Layout No. 16, but if the others can't make it on the 12th I'll run it between now and then anyway. :D

joseph
2005.02.02, 06:00 AM
Hey d can't wait to run on that track are the guys still coming down later joe :rolleyes: :D Looking good. I may have to go run on my own layout. ;) I have yet to run Layout No. 16, but if the others can't make it on the 12th I'll run it between now and then anyway. :D

ruf
2005.03.14, 01:08 PM
My living room track if it was built out of Mini-tiles.

Shelby
2005.03.14, 01:16 PM
did you draw that after a couple cups of coffee or does furniture get in the way to make it look like that. :cool:

ruf
2005.03.14, 02:33 PM
Furniture. And it's just Wal-Mart 2'x2' fatigue mat so I kind of have to take some creative license in replicating it. It's pretty close though.

bda52
2005.03.17, 11:22 PM
How do you screen capture?? Thanks for the help in advance

arch2b
2005.03.18, 05:38 AM
How do you screen capture?? Thanks for the help in advance
ctrl + alt + print screen

paste into any graphic program (ctrl + v)

bda52
2005.03.18, 07:05 PM
Thanks Arch. I am sure I messed up my comp in the past and could not get it to work so I just used my camera phone to take the pic.

Indy using 145 tiles, includes pit lane and as close as I could get to the infield section.

Ken Mifune
2005.03.18, 10:51 PM
I do just alt + Print Screen then paste into a graphics program.

I'd still like the space to run this layout (50cm tiles).
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9641

TNB
2005.03.18, 11:05 PM
One thing bad about that layout--if you wreck and flip over, you would probably loose the race since there is no way a turn marshal should be walking on that layout or another R/C may get smashed. To me, the four tile section seems like a waste and I'd make it a two or three tile lane. Though others may disagree, it just seems like such a wide 4-tile set up would be better placed at the end of a long straight. However, if you set it up "here", I'll help you run on it. Don't forget to bring the track. :D For now (and soon), I'll go run on the little track. ;)

Ken Mifune
2005.03.18, 11:09 PM
...plus if you happened to jump the rail how would you know which way to go unless cars were going by. ;)

TNB
2005.03.18, 11:14 PM
I was thinking about that too, but I just didn't want anyone to realize how "mixed" up I would be on that maze. ;)

bda52
2005.03.19, 12:16 AM
OK attempt #2 (and thanks Ken dropping the ctrl worked)

Now added is Victory Lane and a better entrance and exit of Pit Lane.

back up to 160 tiles. Went to 10x17 instead.

If I counted correctly:

4 Start/Finish
114 Straights
21 Outer corners
21 Inner corners

ruf
2005.04.07, 09:54 PM
bda - AWESOME re-creation!

Here is the layout from the PN Racing World Cup Rialto Regional at NetZone.

bda52
2005.04.07, 11:06 PM
Thanks Ruf.

I love the idea of having the 2 tracks in one. Nice to have the options to run CP Cup or F1 (pretend they are IRL cars) on the oval or F1 and Racers on the road course. And if you build it with the Mini 96 you would need less than 2 sets :D

Wish I could make it out the the west coast or down south for some of the racing action. The PN track looks like it would be a blast to drive.

ruf
2005.04.07, 11:10 PM
I'm anticipating that the track that we are going to set up for the PN race will be 50' in length. Absolutely huge. You're more than welcome to join us for our race.

I saw the IRL race last weekend at St. Petersburg, FL on tv. Looked AWESOME. It's nice to see open wheel racing at that level back in the US. The CART cars were dying off slowly. The new IRL cars in roadcourse trim look AWESOME.

bda52
2005.04.07, 11:56 PM
I'm anticipating that the track that we are going to set up for the PN race will be 50' in length. Absolutely huge. You're more than welcome to join us for our race.

I saw the IRL race last weekend at St. Petersburg, FL on tv. Looked AWESOME. It's nice to see open wheel racing at that level back in the US. The CART cars were dying off slowly. The new IRL cars in roadcourse trim look AWESOME.

I agree! Couple of great passes by Tony Kannan on Chip Ganassi's cars in that one.

I like to think I helped Chip with his decision to go full time in the IRL. During his second season of just running just the 500 in the IRL he came home to Pittsburgh and was speaker at the Steel City Corvette Club one evening. My Dad works for the president of the club so we got to go. When Chip opened up questioning to the crowd I asked him why he would put out the money to buy 3 IRL cars just to run one of the 3 once at Indyand buy a rig to transport the cars to Indy. He looked at me kind of confused for a moment. One of those "yea, why am I spending all that money for one race" The answer was a political one. 'Well, I do not think the sponsors would go for having cars in both series.' Sorry for the paraphrase, I do not remember the direct quote. The next season he ran Jeff Ward the full season with Target as sponsor in the IRL and ran 2 cars in CART the drivers slip my mind at the moment.

I cannot wait until Watkins Glen Sept 25th. I am hoping to go to that. They are running the full F1 course. Dad and I used to go and sit in the "boot" for F1 races there. It is the slowest part of the track off camber hairpin turn. WG elevation map of track (http://www.theglen.com/uploads/assets/seating/WGI%20Elevation%20Map.pdf) The Boot is in the lower lefthand corner of the track on the map.

ruf
2005.04.08, 12:04 AM
Ah Watkins Glen. Great track. Only US track suitable for F1 and MotoGP in my opinion.

bda52
2005.04.08, 12:19 AM
Ah Watkins Glen. Great track. Only US track suitable for F1 and MotoGP in my opinion.

I like Laguna Seca too for both. Love watching the Historic F1's race there on Speed. Just wish the landscaping was more than just sand around the track though. Needs some grass and trees....

ruf
2005.04.08, 12:26 AM
My thoughts exactly.

One word for landscaping: Sugo

Anyways here is Barber Motorsports Complex

bda52
2005.04.08, 12:44 AM
That is one sweet new track. I love the tree that seems to overhang the one corner of the track.

ruf
2005.04.08, 01:28 PM
The layout from the Mini-Z Cup race in Yokohama earlier this year:

ruf
2005.04.08, 02:19 PM
Sorry I screwed up. The last layout I said was Rialto was actually the practice track. Here is the real layout from the PN Regional Race in Rialto, CA this past weekend:

arch2b
2005.04.08, 04:08 PM
The layout from the Mini-Z Cup race in Yokohama earlier this year:
i like the slow section to the right assuming you go clockwise. i prefer tracks with varrying speed sections rather than a full out course.

ruf
2005.04.11, 03:46 PM
A track has to have "rhythm". Otherwise it's just no fun. The big track, I tried to design it with a flow, but make it long enough to where you couldn't memorize it. On shorter tracks, you can learn the rhythm almost like a song and loop it in your head as you drive it. I wanted to try and get away from that, without taking away from the layout.

TNB
2005.04.11, 04:45 PM
Sorry I screwed up. The last layout I said was Rialto was actually the practice track. Here is the real layout from the PN Regional Race in Rialto, CA this past weekend:
Actually, I didn't think there was much of a difference from the prior set up and the latest PN Race set up.

TNB
2005.04.11, 04:48 PM
i like the slow section to the right assuming you go clockwise. i prefer tracks with varrying speed sections rather than a full out course.
Me too. In my opinion, if the track doesn't vary, then someone can just gear higher or gear lower to take advantage of one or the other instead of being both a fast driver on the straight and a fast driver in the turns.

Ken Mifune
2005.04.29, 01:08 PM
... the finish line is a three tile...Hopefully, this will be part of the Track Builder soon.

bolter9
2005.05.13, 03:59 PM
Just got my mini 96 and expansion kit last week. Here's the first track I set up.

The goal was to have a mix of wide and narrow sections, so (moving counter-clockwise) I went with a nice wide straight (3 tile finish line), a wide inside on turn 1 for maintaining speed off the straight, going into a narrow straight. Wide turn 2 for passing before hitting the technical turns, then a back side passing lane that sets up opportunities to juggle positions before going into the narrow back turns before the finish line.

This layout worked great for 3-4 cars- plenty of varation in speed and cornering.
Additionally, the actual track was a bit longer and wider then the pic, but the turns are all the same- I set it up to be about 18'x10'...so there was additional length in the back passing lane and front straight.

I had 14 straights and blanks left over after this layout...

briankstan
2005.10.07, 10:05 PM
I didn't do these in the Track builder. they were drawn in autocad and then exported to .jpg.

check the link

Salt Lake Mini-Z track layouts (http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Tracks.html)

43 different layouts using 2 wide L's
50 different layouts using 3 wide L's
15 different layouts using 5 wide L's (this one will be getting updated as I create new ones)

enjoy, feel free to use, modify or whatever.

Brian

rharris
2006.05.11, 12:28 PM
My Club just came into another windfall of track. We have enough now to set up large events like Rialto or PN World cup.

The trouble is space. We usually race outdoors in someone's driveway. Usually limited to a 22' x 22' space. We have two club leaders with the equivalent of 7 wide L's each. We can now host a club event at one of two houses.

So, I put this together. It's actually two tracks that can be combined into a single track. The idea is that we would pre-assemble them individually, and then truck them to the event. This would make for a quick setup, and tear down would be easy as you would only be responsible for your side.

I took this layout from the Cleveland 05 us indoor champs. I got the pics out of the Xrc Feb 06 mag.

It's not exact, but I had to take some liberty to get it to break down into two tracks.l

But reading thru Ruf's posts, I wanted a critique on how this would work out in an actual race. We would like to put on a big race in the summer and are just starting to figure out track layouts.

Thanks

Dusty Weasle
2007.03.23, 04:12 AM
Lately I've been creating real-world tracks in RCP form and thought I'd share the designs here. I've posted a couple of these in other club threads, but here is the total crop together for convenient viewing.

I tried to keep them under 35' in length, but real tracks are real long so they turned out real big anyhow. They are truncated in places to try and reign the size in, but I think the individual challenges of each track are reasonably represented.

On the remarkably off-chance that anyone has enough track and space to set one of these up, you can find printer-friendly top-down map views at our club site Mini-AZ.com
http://www.mini-az.com/cm/thumbnails.php?album=21
(Anderstorp and Monza could be built in a large room. We have run Anderstorp, fun track):

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/Spa.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/DoningtonPark.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/Indianapolis.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/Monza.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/Sepang.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/Anderstorp.jpg

rkk
2007.03.23, 10:48 AM
WOW, great work. I may have to bring this up to the RMXRC group. We race in a middle school gym and I think all told we have in the neighborhood of 20 wide Ls.

Ken Mifune
2007.03.23, 11:41 AM
Very nice layouts. What are you using for the discs in Anderstorp?

briankstan
2007.03.23, 12:07 PM
Very nice layouts. What are you using for the discs in Anderstorp?

they are the Losi Dots (markers).

Dusty Weasle
2007.03.24, 04:47 AM
Yep, Losi Corner Dots. I used to use them in all my track designs to help shape the track beyond just the tile specs.

They worked, but had a couple persistent little problems:
1. They moved too easily when hit, so they would gradually migrate out of position or worse, into the racing line.

2. They are just tall enough to high-center a Z if it goes over too slowly.

Besides that, they worked great as curbing. They're just too much of a nuisance so we don't use them now.

color01
2007.03.24, 08:03 PM
Dusty, how are you rendering these tracks? They look totally amazing and pretty real too.

Can we see a Nurburgring Nordschleife? :D

Dusty Weasle
2007.03.25, 04:28 AM
The models are built and rendered in 3ds Max, using radiosity lighting.

Spa is about the largest I would want to go. The Nurburgring would cost about $5000+ in RCP tiles. :p However, look in the Phoenix subforum for a track called "YBslow". We did run that one for our 1hr eduro.

rkk, if you guys do any of these tracks, be sure and post some pictures. I'd love to see how they work out.

color01
2007.03.25, 06:30 PM
http://www.mini-az.com/cm/albums/userpics/10005/YBSlow.jpg
I would go totally nuts driving on this track. Left-right-left-right-left-right-right-SMACK. :D

Ken Mifune
2007.03.26, 01:36 AM
Yeah, 3D Studio. That's what mine are in too.
Anybody that wants to experiment with my file, it's now up for grabs (if I can find it).

RCPMini-z
2007.03.26, 11:17 AM
The models are built and rendered in 3ds Max, using radiosity lighting.

Spa is about the largest I would want to go. The Nurburgring would cost about $5000+ in RCP tiles. :p However, look in the Phoenix subforum for a track called "YBslow". We did run that one for our 1hr eduro.

rkk, if you guys do any of these tracks, be sure and post some pictures. I'd love to see how they work out.

Can I use any of your track renderings on our site? They look awesome! Great work.

Dusty Weasle
2007.03.26, 11:44 PM
Sure! You can access all the designs (real and fictional) plus printer-friendly map views over at our club site (see link in #66). I also have images for most of the HFAY/OLPS tracks if you want them, but I'd need to upload them (though there are a few floating around in the Phoenix thread already).

Dusty Weasle
2010.09.09, 07:26 AM
Here is my updated list of real-world tracks using RCP. We have run a few of these tracks and it is a blast.
As always you can find the full track library here: http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/?start=all
And the printer-friendly map versions here: http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/Tracks-%20Printer%20Maps/?start=all

First are the new or revised tracks:
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/Shanghai.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/Oschersleben.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/PhoenixGP_1989-1.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/Indianapolis.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/Monza_2011.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/Anderstorp_2009.jpg

And these I want to address again at some point, probably make the grid straights wider:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/DoningtonPark.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/Sepang.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/Spa.jpg

More to come as I find time and ways to make the track shapes fit.

briankstan
2010.09.09, 09:19 AM
Great track designs Dusty.

Scrapper
2010.09.09, 01:03 PM
i like spa francorchampsw

EMU
2010.09.09, 01:29 PM
I really want to drive them, all of them :)

Scrapper
2010.09.09, 01:52 PM
al should do at least one of them sometime

Ken Mifune
2010.09.09, 03:08 PM
Those track layouts are nice. ahh, I miss my Mini-Zs and RCP track.

good work there.

Pierro
2010.09.09, 04:41 PM
The greatest difficult in the Spa Francorchamps layout would be to make the "raidillon" (eau rouge) and it's particular shape. But it really could be something very interresting and challenging to drive.

ruf
2010.09.09, 06:06 PM
I've always wanted to do this... Awesome work DW!

Dusty Weasle
2010.09.09, 10:19 PM
Thanks. Some of these are from the old set. Spa is one I want to re-address for improvements like a wider Kemmel straight. It also needs the Bus Stop updated to match the modern circuit. Consequentially it will get even bigger, but its a massive track.

Last year we began running at a new, larger facility for our large track days, so we've been able to run Anderstorp, Monza, and Indianapolis. Indy was positively epic! The Monza layout we ran was a little longer with a 3-tile wide Rettifilo Tribune. I'll be updating that map when I can. Anderstorp is fun and its modest size makes it much easier to fit into most spaces.
(You can see our Indy, Monza and Anderstorp lap times here: http://www.mini-az.com/archiveazgt10.html )

We are running the Phoenix USGP track in November for our full Formula 1 day (see Events thread), and on Saturday we're running Oschersleben for our 2011 Season opening day. That one just barely fits in the room! Its about 1.16mi at 1:28 scale.

The one I most want to run next is Shanghai, but its just a few feet too tall to fit in our new room. Maybe someday. Sepang would be great, but the club is currently a little short on diagonal tiles.

If anyone does get to run these, please post pictures!

(Attached are some of my planning images for space and visibility, and one photo of our Indy day. Unfortunately I didn't get any good photos of it. This was at the end of day just before tear down).

hrdrvr
2010.09.10, 08:58 AM
Those are BA! I love your idea for a full on F1 day as well. I am in the planning stages of something similar for an early 2011 date on our side of the country. I'm hoping to see how y'alls event goes first :D

herman
2010.09.13, 02:07 AM
i was wondering if somebody could post how many rcp sets or tiles that are required to make these layouts... thanks...

Dusty Weasle
2010.09.13, 05:08 AM
Good to hear Herman. Its good to see the F1's get more attention. :D

Printer-friendly versions of these tracks and more (top-down b&w map views) are on my Photobucket page: //s140.photobucket.com/albums/r...aps/?start=all
The more recent maps contain the tile count and size information. The older maps don't however. I'll update those... someday. :rolleyes:

And as always you can find the full track library here: http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r...cks/?start=all

herman
2010.09.13, 08:53 PM
thanks dusty.. can't seem to open your photobucket page... ah got it now from

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/?start=all

and

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/Tracks-%20Printer%20Maps/?start=all

post 77... :D thanks

Dusty Weasle
2010.09.21, 03:44 AM
Here's what Oschersleben looks like assembled (map in earlier post):
180deg pano of the whole thing!
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/AZGT%20Season%20VII/Oschersleben_Pano.jpg

You can see more pics from the Oschersleben race day in our Phoenix club thread:
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=393729#post393729

dxm2
2010.09.21, 11:43 AM
Hi Dusty,
We put together your Anderstorp track last night and really enjoyed it. Thanks for the design.

herman
2010.09.21, 10:50 PM
Here's what Oschersleben looks like assembled (map in earlier post):
180deg pano of the whole thing!

You can see more pics from the Oschersleben race day in our Phoenix club thread:
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=393729#post393729

looks like a real serious set up... what were lap times like? just wondering how much it cost to rent the place, how long it takes to set up and tear down... and other details i.e. lap counting systems, how many racers involved, entry fees etc...

thanks for any reply... :D

Dusty Weasle
2010.09.23, 12:11 AM
Thanks DMX, I'm glad you guys enjoyed it. I really like running these real-world circuits. (Pictures?)

Herman- We are very fortunate that the community center donates the space to us. There are no entry fees, we've managed to kept racing free at Mini-AZ all these years.

Oschersleben took longer than usual to setup, it was about 45min. We usually have it ready in about 30min depending on the track.

We've been using Giro-Z for a couple years now and its great! Reliable, small, light, and negligible power drain.

Timing and scoring for the Oschersleben race can be found at our club site:
http://www.mini-az.com/archiveazgt11.html

Fastest laps were:
AZGT (stock GT): Brad 14.049
ATM (mod AWD): Joe 15.192
F1 (stock F1): Wes 14.545
OCD (open class): Brad 13.758

herman
2010.09.23, 03:24 AM
thanks for the info...

man you guys are lucky... so how long does the center let you have the space for? 8 hours or so? basically what i'm asking is, on the average how many hours do you get to use the space? i.e. what time do you start setting up, and what time is everything packed up and ready to leave...

thanks again...

Dusty Weasle
2010.09.24, 04:29 AM
One of our drivers is an employee there so its not really a set limit. We only use it once per month in the winter and twice per month in the summer (the other winter location is DJ's Porsche shop, another driver).

Our usual time is 9am-5pm, but it sometimes runs late when there are technical problems. We try not to let anyone miss out from car trouble, but it can make the days a bit long. :rolleyes:

In the past we've had to rent space. Most places want $200-$500 for about 6hrs, but a very few will lower that to $50 to help out a club. A Police lodge and an American Legion Hall have helped us out in the past.

Other times we were able to use a community room at a driver's apartment complex. The community center is the biggest room we've had and has greatly opened up the possibilities for RCP layouts.

herman
2010.09.27, 01:58 AM
thanks for the info... apologize for being off topic...

Dusty Weasle
2011.10.24, 03:11 AM
Here are two more real-world tracks, Snetterton Circuit in the UK and the famous Fuji Speedway in Japan. I also updated the Monza layout pictured earlier in the thread with a wider Tribune straight that ran much better in a crowded field.

We ran Snetterton recently and it was fantastic! The fastest lap time was Brad with a 12.735 in our open class series (the OCD). You can find times for all classes here on our series page:
http://www.mini-az.com/archiveazgt11.html#Week_8

I was going to keep the designs all together but apparently I can only show ten images in a post. So you can see the new two here, and the others in the previous post here:
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=392864&postcount=77

As always you can find the full track library here: http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/?start=all
And the printer-friendly map versions here: http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/Tracks-%20Printer%20Maps/?start=all

Enjoy.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/Snetterton2011.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/Fuji.jpg

Dusty Weasle
2012.08.10, 01:04 AM
This year Mini-AZ began a new annual special event- oval racing. We ran the small Martinsville track and had an absolute blast! An oval seems pretty simple, but as proper NASCAR fans know: It's not about turning left, it's about not turning right. :D And by the end of the day the right side of the track was a snow drift of RCP dust and marbles. Absolute. Blast.

So in preparation for the coming years, and for fun, I've put together designs for some of NASCAR's most iconic tracks.

As always you can find the full track library of road courses and ovals here: http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/?start=all

If you run one of these, please post pictures and let us all know how you did.

Enjoy.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/OVAL_Atlanta.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/OVAL_Darlington.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/OVAL_Indianapolis.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/OVAL_Martinsville.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/Tracks/OVAL_Phoenix.jpg

arch2b
2012.08.10, 06:53 AM
as usual, great work! :cool: i only wish i had the space to run these tracks:(