PDA

View Full Version : RCP track problem

46u
2004.12.21, 06:15 PM
I really like my RCP track!!!! The only problems I have with it is I run F1 cars mostly and I have trouble with the clear plastic bumper getting stuck between the track mat and guardrail. The guardrail is taking a big beating from the bumpers on the F1 cars. Do others have this problem and does any one know a way to keep this from happing? I have thought about putting some thing on the bumper but this would take away from the way the car looks. have to keep it very portable as I put it up and take it down often as I do not have a place right now to set it up and leave it. :confused:

TNB
2004.12.21, 06:23 PM
Make sure the rails are securely tightened and quit hitting the rails. You could also get the CP F1 bumper and bend up the sides or probably add a bead of silicon between the rails and the tiles--a search may help on this idea. I just found that the better I drive, the less problems I have getting my F1 stuck under the rails. ;)

RCPMini-z
2004.12.21, 07:18 PM
Are you mostly getting stuck at the inside corner rail? Are you running the 50cm tracks? You might want to try taking the bottom and top PINS out of the side rails at the inside corner rails and the one PIN hole on the straight rail closest to the inside corner. The F1's will go under the rail very easily, but you should be able to back up, since the rail will not be attached to the tiles. One other idea is to modify your f1 wing, as TNB discribed. Some people who run PVC rail tracks install small dowels or 6/32 screws up through the front wing to prevent the F1's from getting stuck under the PVC tubing.

As TNB mentioined, try backing off on the throttle a little, until you are able to run consistantly around the track without hitting the rails. As your skills improve, you can speed up a little at a time.

We have some plastic rail liners that should be available come early 2005. They will be very inexpensive and can be installed anywhere on the track. They are an "L" shape and fit under the rail. The F1's will glance off the liners, rather than wedging under the foam rails. You can install them at places where you find yourself mostly hitting the rails.

Here is a picture of some prototypes. The production liners will be 41" long each and will be just a little taller than the standard RCP rail.

Another idea we are working on is an inside disc deflector. This is shown in the 3rd attachment and will hold the cars and F1's away from the inside corner rail.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.12.21, 07:26 PM
i'm looking at that third attachment but i'm still baffled as to how it is used.

RCPMini-z
2004.12.21, 07:33 PM
i'm looking at that third attachment but i'm still baffled as to how it is used.

The idea is it will force the cars to drive a line that keeps them off the inside rail. If a driver accidentally runs up the disc., they will only suffer a minor speed decrease rather than stopping so abruptly compared to hitting a soft rail.

TNB
2004.12.21, 07:37 PM
But softer than the Losi Track Dots I previously used....

RCPMini-z
2004.12.21, 07:39 PM
TNB, did your Losi dots have a gradual slope as the ones in my picture?

46u
2004.12.21, 07:55 PM
Make sure the rails are securely tightened and quit hitting the rails. You could also get the CP F1 bumper and bend up the sides or probably add a bead of silicon between the rails and the tiles--a search may help on this idea. I just found that the better I drive, the less problems I have getting my F1 stuck under the rails. ;)

First my pins are tight and second if I put silicone on it I lose the option of easily switch sides! All so as stated in my original post it has to be very maneuverable. I do not care how good of a drive a person is they will hit the rail sooner or later or get passed by others. If drivers where so good there would not be a need for guardrails. I do not hit them all the time but particularly when I am setting up cars and trying different driving techniques you are going to hit the rail. Like I said if there was no need for them there would not be any! Yes I can modifier the front bumper but if I want a car to look like a CP I will build a CP. The idea of the clear rail liners is a good idea and this is about what I was thinking of. I am running the big tiles. I two tracks that I combine one wide L and one wide oval.
Thank for all the input. :D

TNB
2004.12.21, 08:03 PM
46u,
I did "NOT" write of the CP Cup Conversion kit for the F1. CP also has a stainless bumper specifically built for the F1 that replaces the plastic bumper. It weighs approximately 3ozs compared to the 1oz stock plastic bumper. The downside is that unless the stainless bumper is bent up on the sides or something added to the small holes on the side, it will get stuck easier than the stock plastic bumper since it is flat. I call it my training bumper. There is also one photo of it in Gallery TNB, Album F1s (Basic photos) on the McLaren--it's sort of difficult to see however, the front wing is damaged in that photo so the bumper is actually easier to see. I have since replaced the front nose, but have yet to update the photo. It is photo 2 of 12.

davkin
2004.12.21, 08:44 PM
Hey, I like that corner dot! You definately need to put that into production!

David

TNB
2004.12.21, 08:46 PM
TNB, did your Losi dots have a gradual slope as the ones in my picture?
Yes, they did.

Twenty-Se7en
2004.12.21, 11:19 PM
That track dot looks pretty big... if you hit that with an F1 at high speed I don't know how the front end would fare... I like how it fits in though.

techno
2004.12.22, 06:55 AM
That track dot looks pretty big... if you hit that with an F1 at high speed I don't know how the front end would fare... I like how it fits in though.
Here is an idea that I use that I got off some of the guys on here is to put shrink tubing across the front bumper looks like crap but saves bumpers ,wings ,knuckles and steering rods to boot worth every penny (as I get them for free) I used shoe goo to mount it so I can take them off easily I never get stuck anymore and I can bump the other cars out of the way to get thru I can post a pic later if you are interested

fraz
2004.12.22, 05:43 PM
Hey, I like that corner dot! You definately need to put that into production!

David

THose are corner dots available off the store shelves. I know you can get them through the "Elite" brand from Ultimate Hobbies in Orange, CA. We use them for 1/10 scale and they are nice and shallow and do not have a lip where it meets the ground. I have used them for mini-z before I got my RCP track. I have since donated them to my local race club where I race 1/10 scale. All John did was cut them out so they would integrate with the RCP rail system. A very nice job I might add.

Personally, I think the F1 cars get more hung up (or under) the outer rails from driving in too deep. In those situations, dots won't help, but the clear walls might.

Where do I get the clear plastic?