PDA

View Full Version : Transponders

solartech
2005.01.04, 10:13 PM
Can aluminum option parts prevent the transponders from picking up if the transponder is above the aluminum parts and the core lapcounter anttena is located under the track? This seems to be the problem with my 02 racer. Is this possible?,or is it some thing else?

Ninja
2005.01.04, 10:40 PM
sounds very possible considering the logic involved

CoreAnalog
2005.01.04, 11:00 PM
Can aluminum option parts prevent the transponders from picking up if the transponder is above the aluminum parts and the core lapcounter anttena is located under the track? This seems to be the problem with my 02 racer. Is this possible?,or is it some thing else?

It depends on how you mounted the transponder. What aluminum parts did you have?
One of the beta sites reported that the chrome body would not work with the transponders. But, that was an entire chrome body that completely covered the
transponder. I don't think aluminum option parts like wheels, motor mounts, and
etc. would cause a problem. If the transponder sits with some space between a
large metallic object, it can be picked up okay. In the worst case, you can stick the
transponder on top of the hood and windshield. Can you give more details on the
parts and where you placed the transponder. I assume you tested this at CP?

--Core

solartech
2005.01.04, 11:13 PM
It depends on how you mounted the transponder. What aluminum parts did you have?
One of the beta sites reported that the chrome body would not work with the transponders. But, that was an entire chrome body that completely covered the
transponder. I don't think aluminum option parts like wheels, motor mounts, and
etc. would cause a problem. If the transponder sits with some space between a
large metallic object, it can be picked up okay. In the worst case, you can stick the
transponder on top of the hood and windshield. Can you give more details on the
parts and where you placed the transponder. I assume you tested this at CP?

--Core
I have an iwaiver 02 with an Enzo body. The aluminum parts include an Enzo front clip, battery clips and a midmount rear pod. The transponder was mounted under the hood and windshield of the body. It was one of the new smaller transponders I think. Yes at CP.

CoreAnalog
2005.01.04, 11:22 PM
Solartech,

Did you have CP do a "signal strength" test on your car? Or was it simply not
picking up during a race? Next time you go in, have them run the test. This
is the best way to tell if the transponder is reading okay or not.

--Core

solartech
2005.01.04, 11:49 PM
I belive it was a signal strength test because it worked with the body off the chassie. I did not acctualy race because it would not register with the body on my car. I have participated in a few test races with my cup car and every thing worked great. Last week I use the car with the core system with only some aluminum parts and it seemed to work well.

michvin
2005.01.05, 12:19 AM
i'm running a transponder directly above the motor, which produces electromagnetic field and therefore tends to interfere with transponder signal, with no probems at all...

CoreAnalog
2005.01.05, 12:41 AM
I belive it was a signal strength test because it worked with the body off the chassie. I did not acctualy race because it would not register with the body on my car. I have participated in a few test races with my cup car and every thing worked great. Last week I use the car with the core system with only some aluminum parts and it seemed to work well.

Solartech,

If you can... Please bring the car back to CP and try mounting the transponder in
a different position while the core system is in test mode. You'll be able to monitor
the signal strength reading on the screen to see where the bad mounting points
are. If it still doesn't work inside the body, tape it on the hood or roof. I know it's
ugly to stick it outside the car but that can be the last resort (which should work
if all else fails).

--Core

arch2b
2005.01.05, 10:45 AM
it might be the alloy battery clips? i have alloy knuckles, motor pod and have had NO problems at all with any of my cars with the new sensor tags taped to the inside of the body. usually from the hood to the rear window. try it with the stock battery clips as well.

Maxfield
2005.01.06, 04:04 AM
Arch's suggestion seems reasonable to test.

Also, when do you honestly think the system will be ready and available for sale? Is this system going to work? And, is it ready for a review, in depth, by somebody who has used AMB's and Ko Propo's systems and can make a comparison.

I'm biting at the bit here waiting for this system which we've been teased about for the last 3 months. Sorry I seem so impatient, but I've talked this system up at my local Mini-Z club and the LHS which both sponsor race series (in the Winter I might add, and I want to get one for my huge home track.)

Thanks

solartech
2005.01.06, 08:26 AM
it might be the alloy battery clips? i have alloy knuckles, motor pod and have had NO problems at all with any of my cars with the new sensor tags taped to the inside of the body. usually from the hood to the rear window. try it with the stock battery clips as well.
I would hate to have to strip my car of certin parts, I spent $ for these almost as much as for my Iwaiver 02. The parts will do me no good sitting in my tool box. :(

arch2b
2005.01.06, 08:31 AM
...The parts will do me no good sitting in my tool box. :(
neither will a car that won't work with the transponders ;)