PDA

View Full Version : The Traveling RCP Mini-96 Track In Hawaii

SeniorChief
2005.01.07, 02:00 AM
Someone wanted to see my traveling track set up in a hotel room. Well here it is...

I am staying at the Hyatt Waikiki, in Honolulu Hawaii.

That is the Honolulu skyline in out the window. Yeah I know it sucks to be me :D but damn it someone has got to this job ;)

EMU
2005.01.07, 02:06 AM
Nice layout for the space. How much of the Mini-96 track is used in that setup?

SeniorChief
2005.01.07, 02:13 AM
Brought all 96 tiles with me, this layout is everything minus 4 tiles. Wanted to bring the other set with me but just did not have the space. Had to pack clothes too... :p

I am going to attempt to set the track up in some different places and post those pictures. Which reminds me, Arch2B, I can't seen to log into my gallery, can you take a look at my account when you get a chance? Thanks.

Several of my co-workers out here have Mini-z's also, we just could not leave the addiction at home
:D

EMU
2005.01.07, 02:23 AM
Thanks. I am really considering getting a mini tile track. Just have to see how much some of the guys(friends that are getting interested in the hobby) would want to chip in. How long did it take you to set it up? I dont have much space, and I think the mini tile would be the best choice of track because it can be setup in alot of different locations. After seeing your other thread about the traveling track (and such great pictures), I didnt realise how transportable the track is with the appropriate bags.

A few of my friends have started getting interested in the Z's, and it would be nice to practice on a nice track that we can take with us to different locations easily. Since you traveled with the track, do you know how heavy it is?

SeniorChief
2005.01.07, 02:34 AM
Track is awesome. Best $199 I spent on this addiction...

With the canvas bag, the track weighed in at 25 or so pounds, a bit less but I really don't remember the exact weight. The rails and bottom pins went in another bags, but those are maybe another 10 pounds or so.

This set up took less than an hour. Got to remember that I have the track taken all the way down inorder to bag it for travel. I you don't need to tear it down as far as I did (like when I am home) it would take less time. Pins and rails take the most time to install.

I don't think you will regret getting this track. I don't have much room at home either so the mini tiles work for me very well both on the road and at home.

arch2b
2005.01.07, 05:36 AM
very cool! how many cars do you typically run on it?

i emailed you re: your gallery

ruknd@aol.com
2005.01.07, 09:13 AM
Thats terrible....being forced to hang in hawaii and all :p . The mini 96 looks really nice...i also like that you can get some lane wideners.

SeniorChief
2005.01.07, 09:27 AM
Aloha Arch2B, hopefully you have mail. Adelphia is not playing nice again and can't tell if my mail actully left. Let me know if you got it.

We have three guys right now, the same three that went to your place. Masterchief has more cars than I. Jim now has two cars and looking to get more. Another freind/co-worker is in Japan right now but will be picking up a Z before he returns.

I guess the short answer is 2-3 right now, we will work on getting 4 cars later this month. That should be a blast, should look like the Beltway at 4 pm on a Friday ;)

herman
2005.01.07, 10:13 AM
Brought all 96 tiles with me, this layout is everything minus 4 tiles. Wanted to bring the other set with me but just did not have the space. Had to pack clothes too...

clothes??? who needs clothes when you got your mini 96 track :p :D

EMU
2005.01.07, 10:18 AM
clothes??? who needs clothes when you got your mini 96 track :p :D
I was thinking on the same pattern... :confused:

arch2b
2005.01.07, 10:43 AM
sc,
it's all done ;) let me know if you have further problems.

i'm glad to hear the odd guy out last time now has his own cars :p i can't wait to see some of the interesting places you travel too

nightcrawler
2005.01.07, 07:31 PM
Hey SC could you post a pix of the bag you used to haul the track in?
I just bought my 96 and was looking into taking it with me but it seams like it will be kind of hard to come across something to transport it in.
________
Los Angeles Dispensary (http://dispensaries.org/)

SeniorChief
2005.01.07, 08:35 PM
Hey SC could you post a pix of the bag you used to haul the track in?
I just bought my 96 and was looking into taking it with me but it seams like it will be kind of hard to come across something to transport it in.

I have pictues of the bags in my gallery here (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album550).

They are called Ciao! bags, I purchaced the last ones at my local Navy Exchange and not sure where they can be found off base. They come packaged in a box so you would need to look for boxes in the luggage department vice the bags themselves.

Hope this helps.

nightcrawler
2005.01.07, 10:17 PM
I have pictues of the bags in my gallery here (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album550).

They are called Ciao! bags, I purchaced the last ones at my local Navy Exchange and not sure where they can be found off base. They come packaged in a box so you would need to look for boxes in the luggage department vice the bags themselves.

Hope this helps.

Thanks alot all the info I can get to way out my options helps. Nice track by the way, how much did that Wide Lane Kit set you back if you don't mine me asking?
I see from your pictures that kit comes in handy.
________
xxSOPHIExx (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/xxSOPHIExx/)

SeniorChief
2005.01.08, 03:49 AM
Thanks alot all the info I can get to way out my options helps. Nice track by the way, how much did that Wide Lane Kit set you back if you don't mine me asking?
I see from your pictures that kit comes in handy.

To be perfectly honest, I really don't know. RCPMini-z and I live in the same county so I was able to pick up some bits and pieces at a very reasonable price, these were some blanks and some returns that he could not sell and I could use. I do not know if I have a standard kit or not. I just know that he really came through and hooked me up with what I needed. You can contact him via the forums here and work out the details.

I really like the flexability the expansion kit gives me, just wish I had room to bring them with me here :rolleyes:

SeniorChief
2005.01.17, 02:00 AM
Well I finally got a day off with no rain so we took the track up to the roof of the Hyatt. Had a great afternoon of racing after the playoffs. We had 4 cars running, looked like the 405 in LA on a Friday afternoon. Got some good speed on the longer stretch. I think I am going to have to rethink the top pins, didn't bring them to conserve space. We had an F1 that kept getting under the rails and off the track. May think about the tall rails also, RCPMini-Z, are they much heavier?

Took a few pictures (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album338).

If the weather holds tomorrow, going to take the track on the road and see where else I can set it up. The way I see it, the track came all the way out to Hawaii, it wants to see more of the island than just the hotel :D

SeniorChief
2005.01.17, 09:34 PM
Due to rain I was not able to take the track for a trip around the island today. Had planned on taking it to the ship I am working on. Not something you see every day, an RCP track on a Navy Ship. Well I will be here for another month and a half so I still may be able to pull that on off. :D

I broke a few parts yesterday while racing in traffic, got all set to order what I needed/wanted and low and behold, shop is down for inventory. Just my luck, and the LHS' on Oahu are severely lacking any parts that I need. I will have to special order from a LHS that has an unholy arrangement with tower, just not exactly what I wanted. :(

arch2b
2005.01.17, 09:43 PM
sorry for the bummer on all fronts :( even on a rainy day, your still on a beautiful island though ;)

what parts did you break?

SeniorChief
2005.01.17, 10:00 PM
CF H-Plates for the MR-02 RM x2
Pinion Gear for the OL
Motor/Gear Box Housing on the OL
Rear wing on the BMW M3 GTR (again)
Passenger side head lamp cover on the BMW M3
Rear wing on the Pitwork Skyline (again)

This doesn't even cover the parts that I found or from the other guys cars. We were having a very good day of racing. Each of our cars traded some paint!

I also wanted to pick up a few alloy parts, some as replacements for the above, others just because... ;)

Want to get the CHP body also, something about that just works for me. :D

arch2b
2005.01.17, 10:02 PM
hehe, i know we all lost some parts when you guys were in dc. it's all part of the fun.

yeah, i like the caprice bodies as well. i just got the merc slr and it looks much nicer in person than the pictures. i haven't put it on the track yet. i also got an unpainted h1 so look for some cool stuff on that this weekend ;)

SeniorChief
2005.01.17, 10:24 PM
Yeah, I still have not had time to mod my Sand H1. My son sent me some pictures of his Hummvee and I am going try my hand at custom paint to match the 1:1 scale he will be using in Iraq.

Look forward to seeing your work

SeniorChief
2005.01.30, 05:01 PM
First attempt at this post did not take for some reason... :(

Here are some pictures (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album338).

Anyway, I got both a day off and no rain to coincide, so I brought the track out to the Naval Station Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. The pier is near one of the ships we are working on and I thought it would make for a good picture of both the track and a little history. Doesn’t hurt that I was stationed on the USS Missouri for the first Gulf War and always have loved that ship. Also wanted to give you guys on the frozen East Coast some warm weather to look at :D

arch2b
2005.01.30, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I still have not had time to mod my Sand H1. My son sent me some pictures of his Hummvee and I am going try my hand at custom paint to match the 1:1 scale he will be using in Iraq.

Look forward to seeing your work
you can see my progess here (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album450)

arch2b
2005.01.30, 07:55 PM
First attempt at this post did not take for some reason... :(

Here are some pictures (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album338).

Anyway, I got both a day off and no rain to coincide, so I brought the track out to the Naval Station Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. The pier is near one of the ships we are working on and I thought it would make for a good picture of both the track and a little history. Doesn’t hurt that I was stationed on the USS Missouri for the first Gulf War and always have loved that ship. Also wanted to give you guys on the frozen East Coast some warm weather to look at :D
nice pictures and nice weather, way to rub it in :p ;)

SeniorChief
2005.01.30, 09:24 PM
Hey Arch, yeah we have been thinking about ya' and that wonderful weather you're having out that way. ;) We are either having beautiful days like today or very heavy rain like yesterday. Forced MasterChief off the golf course is was so bad. I was driving and went through a rain "whiteout" could not see the front of my hood, that was just a few hundred yards from MC on Navy-Marine Golf Course.

Saw your work on that H-1, I am going to keep the sand color on mine so I won't be doing a complete repaint. I am think of a way to make a rear hatchback and will paint that close to match. Do you have swampers? Would love to see how those look on the H-1, I am trying to go for authenticy and Kyosho and Lego tires are just not doing it for me...