PDA

View Full Version : from 10 x 16 to 16 x16

SocialD
2005.01.10, 10:06 AM
Someone made a crack about how cute my little track was. So, I made it bigger! :D . Here are some pictures of the expanded track. It is made out of Pepboys mats, PVC, and pipe insulation. As mentioned before, it is 16 x 16 feet and the lane widths are approx. 30". There are still some pending improvements which should make the track just a little faster ;) .

techno
2005.01.10, 10:17 AM
very nice a hint on connecting the straits I seen was to us dowel peices to fit in side the tubing so it gives a smooth transition on the straits
It's also great to see you have others to run with on your track that makes any track fun

SocialD
2005.01.10, 10:23 AM
I went with the T fittings so that I can easily reconfigure the track. Plus, I wasn't sure exactly how I was going to do the bracing. So, it left us with many options of how to brace it.

Future plan include adding radii to some of the corners. I already have a heat gun. Now, I just have to make a fixture to bend the PVC.

TITANIUM
2005.01.10, 11:32 AM
good work!...
now its time for a big elevation bridge on the back wall making even more room to run!

SocialD
2005.01.10, 11:44 AM
good work!...
now its time for a big elevation bridge on the back wall making even more room to run!

Thanks.

I've already been debating on if I should do that.

arch2b
2005.01.10, 12:18 PM
does the pole in the center cause interference?

SocialD
2005.01.10, 12:40 PM
does the pole in the center cause interference?

Something causes the signal to become weak when we are in the back corner. However, this doesn't seem to be caused by the pole.

Twenty-Se7en
2005.01.10, 07:29 PM
I've never had problems with signal interferance from similar metal poles... have had problems with alum. siding on the house though :o

ruknd@aol.com
2005.01.10, 10:30 PM
Someone made a crack about how cute my little track was. So, I made it bigger! :D . Here are some pictures of the expanded track. It is made out of Pepboys mats, PVC, and pipe insulation. As mentioned before, it is 16 x 16 feet and the lane widths are approx. 30". There are still some pending improvements which should make the track just a little faster ;) .
Oh now that is a REALLY CUTE track :p

machine
2005.01.11, 05:33 AM
question, how is the foam around the pvc piping holding up? I've got a simliar tack system in the garage and i'm using bare pipes and ozite. You find that the cars stop when they rub the foam??

SocialD
2005.01.11, 08:49 AM
Oh now that is a REALLY CUTE track :p

DAMN YOU!!! I don't have any more room to expand. :mad:

THe foam seems to hold up okay. The down side of the foam is that it doesn't so much stop the cars as it bounces them back into the middle of the track. This is bad because it can set them up for a prefect broad side shot from another car. However, this seems to have more to do with driver skill. The better drivers usually hit the rails with a glancing blow which allows the car to continue straight. I guess that I would estimate that if you hit the rails at less than 15 you'd glance off. You'd bounce of if the impact it greater than 15.

ruknd@aol.com
2005.01.11, 01:38 PM
DAMN YOU!!! I don't have any more room to expand. :mad:
hehehe...hey if you cant expand out....you gotta go up :p

EMU
2005.01.14, 01:46 AM
hehehe...hey if you cant expand out....you gotta go up :p
A very NY thing to say... ;)

Nice track you have there. I just got a few foam mats in that I am going to make a tiny track (9x6). I dont have much space, so it will be just for bashing around a bit with friends... maybe a little drag action.