PDA

View Full Version : To rcp owners using the slick side

byebye
2005.01.11, 11:32 PM
This question is for RCP track owners-

How many of you have flipped your track to the slick side and setup your cars for it?

For those that did flip it for how long did you have it that way before you switched it back?

techno
2005.01.12, 06:52 AM
I think its a great question beingsa that I have taken an interest in drifting as of late but I have not because of the time it takes to do it I am a set it down ands run kinda guy

ExtraPickles
2005.01.12, 07:12 AM
I only know one other local guy that has an RCP Track and he runs on the smooth side permanently, I think because of the black dust. I've never tried it, the more traction the better for me.

-pickles

byebye
2005.01.14, 02:04 AM
Sorry I haven't replied to my own thread lol. My track is setup with the slick side up. It's not as slick as you think. If you run a very sticky tire there is a ton of grip. It does take a while to flip it and it's not as cool looking as the textured darker black side. It's as good as my old AFM track. Actually since HKS uses AFM mats I plan on leaving my track with the slick side up and setiing up all my cars for it. I wasn't sure how many people actually have tried it.

arch2b
2005.01.14, 05:37 AM
which reminds me i have to flip my tiles over.... that's alot of tiles :rolleyes:

byebye
2005.01.14, 05:40 AM
You should have time this weekend ;). I got a few blank dvd-r's to back up my laptop for a xp re-load. Hope to get it working and edit some more vid. I dl'ed some software to cnvert .mov files. I have alot of good vid but can't use it until its converted.

ruknd@aol.com
2005.01.14, 12:22 PM
Sorry I haven't replied to my own thread lol. My track is setup with the slick side up. It's not as slick as you think. If you run a very sticky tire there is a ton of grip. It does take a while to flip it and it's not as cool looking as the textured darker black side. It's as good as my old AFM track. Actually since HKS uses AFM mats I plan on leaving my track with the slick side up and setiing up all my cars for it. I wasn't sure how many people actually have tried it.
uh oh....byebye is practicing for the nyc dc gtg...btw nice dc vid for rcp.

byebye
2005.01.14, 11:18 PM
You know it! It's the same surface. My team z46 car is setup, I just have to setup the others now!(or later after I get out of jail(baghdad))LOL

ruknd@aol.com
2005.01.14, 11:24 PM
You know it! It's the same surface. My team z46 car is setup, I just have to setup the others now!(or later after I get out of jail(baghdad))LOL
I think I've got a monopoly set lying around..I'll send you a get out of jail free card. say, any of you dc crew thinking about the HKS or PN challenge?

byebye
2005.01.15, 02:13 AM
Not me of course. Right now there is 4 members to team z46. Arch2b, my 8yr old son, my wife and me. I doubt my wife is going to go up there with my son and arch2b has his whole family that he would have to take up there so unfortunately chances are no. I wish though. Next time if it's in march or april.

PoorZDriver
2005.01.15, 11:36 AM
Not me of course. Right now there is 4 members to team z46. Arch2b, my 8yr old son, my wife and me. I doubt my wife is going to go up there with my son and arch2b has his whole family that he would have to take up there so unfortunately chances are no. I wish though. Next time if it's in march or april.

what races/class are the team z46 cars set up for?

arch2b
2005.01.15, 11:52 AM
if i had to guess, mr-02 open. we run a wide variety of hop ups and all of our cars (except mine right now) have a 2x2 fet upgrade any x-speed motors

gasman1
2005.02.02, 01:23 PM

I have only run on the smooth side. I didn't want all the dirt and figured it would wear smooth eventually. I have a setup that handles like a slot car. The chassis is mostly stock too. Is there that much more grip on the rough side? I'm not flippin mine any time soon. My club runs on carpet which is a lot more slick

arch2b
2005.02.02, 01:45 PM
please post your setup.... i still get too much oversteer in tight corners.

yes, there is even MORE traction on the textured side. i plan on swithcing mine back to that faily soon as i just can't get the same performance as i can on the textured side and it's just frustrating. it wouldn't be so bad if i had other cars to follow like byebye's but by myself, it's just an exercise in frustration. my lap number went from low 40's to low 30's :( in 5 min. times.

gasman1
2005.02.02, 01:57 PM
please post your setup.... i still get too much oversteer in tight corners.

yes, there is even MORE traction on the textured side. i plan on swithcing mine back to that faily soon as i just can't get the same performance as i can on the textured side and it's just frustrating. it wouldn't be so bad if i had other cars to follow like byebye's but by myself, it's just an exercise in frustration. my lap number went from low 40's to low 30's :( in 5 min. times.

This is for an MR-01:
Worn 8 deg tires front and back, tread eventually wears off quickly anyway
stock steering bar
two shims under each 2 deg knuckles
stock springs
stock rear motor mount
narrow carbon H plate screwed directly to the chassis, no spacer
Ball diff

I run a xspeed arm with neo mags and pn bruches with an 8T pinion

The longest straight on my track is 18 ft. I have wide and narrow sections on my track. The car has to have speed but be able to handle also.

Herse's my lastest layout;
http://dorksonwheels.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=10005&pos=-102

See ya

arch2b
2005.02.02, 02:05 PM
thanks. that is indeed a speed course. this is my track (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/112004gtg/IMG_3738)

gasman1
2005.02.02, 03:38 PM
thanks. that is indeed a speed course. this is my track (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/112004gtg/IMG_3738)

That should get you in the ballpark. I reproduced the setup on another one of my cars and had the same results. Although the pattern on the H plate, how it was cut out of the carbon fiber, made some difference. Your track is cool. This setup will work on your track. Half my track is fast and the other half is slow (two tile wide sections) The car will allow you to carry more speed through the slow sections. Let me know how it works out. A couple of guys in our club drove my car and liked it alot.

yasuji
2013.03.06, 10:36 AM
^ I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. :)

Other than my home RCP track and the one at my LHS, I have run on 3 others that I can think of, all on the rough side, and none were even close to the others and setup changes were always required, sometimes major. :o

I've never run on the smooth side of RCP, although I always wanted to. As soon as I get a chance, I will flip my small home track and try it out. If only 1/2 of what Grant said about the smooth side is true, I may not switch back :eek:

Change can be good (sometimes). I applaud PN for mixing it up a little :cool:
we understand that we cant please everybody!...for our club i turned the track with out even asking my club members ... i think that it caught all of my guys by surprise... but i can honestly say that i have heard no complaints from any body at all... nothing but praise for this surface... and i have also had guests from Guatemala and Texas run on this surface with no complaints....
as far as different surfaces... i have run on a few different surfaces and many different rcp tracks all over the world... and not one track has been the same as the other...and for me this is no big deal....:D

briankstan
2013.03.06, 10:39 AM
I'm not saying they are exactly the same, but pretty similar. I've traveled and raced with lots of different clubs over the years. I've raced with groups in Virginia, Georgia, Wyoming, California, Southern Utah as well as my home track here. Unfortunately I was in the Carolina's before you guys started racing. yes some have had more traction than others an that probably more of an environmental issues with humidity, temperature and of course track use.

some of the advantages do sound good, especially the extended tire life. I might have to give it a try and see what I think.

Any info on how other brands of tires run on the smooth side?

briankstan
2013.03.06, 10:44 AM
Grant, thanks for the additional info. so this was more of an experiment that in the end was liked by they races there? I would gather that if no one complained about it that they liked it. If I have some time before our race on Thursday I'll have to give this a try and see what our club thinks. :)

Traveler
2013.03.06, 10:47 AM
we understand that we cant please everybody!...

I'm pleased! :D Did you mean to attach Brian's post instead? :confused:

briankstan
2013.03.06, 10:52 AM

I didn't say I was displeased, I simple asked a question looking for some info as none was posted. http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/forum/Smileys/ellow_red/smiley-happy077.gif

yasuji
2013.03.06, 11:04 AM

sorry i just attached to the last post for my reply....
there was fear last year when philip and i went to paris to race in there championship... they ran it on the smooth side... philip and i ran pn rubber rrr06 and x15... and we ended up doing well:)

arch2b
2013.03.06, 11:31 AM
changing sides is awsome! RCP made both sides usable for a reason and i applaud the decision to make a change! in general, people don't like change but it's best for the hobby to introduce some change every once in awhile. first it was always carpet, painted wood. they RCP took over and now your starting to see carpet come back. life is cyclical :)

brian, how about a smooth side HFAY? can't hurt to try for a season ;)

briankstan
2013.03.06, 11:40 AM
changing sides is awsome! RCP made both sides usable for a reason and i applaud the decision to make a change! in general, people don't like change but it's best for the hobby to introduce some change every once in awhile. first it was always carpet, painted wood. they RCP took over and now your starting to see carpet come back. life is cyclical :)

brian, how about a smooth side HFAY? can't hurt to try for a season ;)

this is why I was asking the question, I don't know if we just open it up and allow whatever side the club decides to run?? or specify a side. I'll open a thread on it in the HFAY forum.

Traveler
2013.03.06, 11:53 AM
I didn't say I was displeased, I simple asked a question looking for some info as none was posted. http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/forum/Smileys/ellow_red/smiley-happy077.gif

Sorry Brian, I didn't mean to suggest that you were displeased. I was confused as to why Grant quoted my response, but he has cleared that up. :)

sorry i just attached to the last post for my reply....

No problem :)

That's the only thing holding me back form pulling the trigger in setting a date right now.

Pull it, squeeze it, whatever it takes. Just make it happen! :D

Kay-Dee
2013.03.07, 01:23 AM
Hello to everbody

Here in Germany the smooth side is the recommend surface.
Weīve ran it for many years and about 95% of the clubs do so.
Back in 2011 we switched to the rough side for the PNWC Series here in Hamburg and after a while we didnīt want to switch again.
We love it to drive on the rough side, a lot of grip without any special tire treatment.
The problem is, that nearly every club is using traction compound to ran on the smooth suface and itīs hard to find the right setup for driving without.
Two weeks ago we set up the 2013 regional layout, you can still see the traction compound that was used before turn to the rough side and the driving is like ice skating.
The club owner allows to use traction compound and with an upcoming huge event (European Mini Z Challenge) which is held on the smooth side with tire treatment, a few drivers still using it.
For us, who love the PN Series and following it, itīs very dissapointing that the side has changed.
We know that the change is a new challenge like the little changes the last years ( Driving direction and so) and thatīs what make the series so fantastic but for us itīs really bad.

It will be a hard time till Paris :(

Traveler
2013.03.07, 07:20 AM
Sounds like the issue is you can't run on the smooth side of your RCP track without traction compound because it was used on that side before and without it the smooth suface is too slick.

I don't have any experience with traction compound, so this may be a dumb question, but is there any way to clean it off the smooth side of the RCP so it is like it was before using traction compound? Maybe you should contact user RCPMini-z (designer and owner of RCP Tracks) or maybe some of the others here have experience with cleaning tracks?

Hope you can find a solution other than buying all new RCP :eek:

Kay-Dee
2013.03.07, 08:51 AM
Hy

Without compound is very slippery and a real competition :mad:

Cleaning or a new track isnīt an option, we are only a few drivers who wants to perform on the PNWC, most of the driver staying at the textured side tracks (we have 3 tracks).
We have a discussion about using traction compound for the last years but the track manager will not forbid using it and he donīt want to do anything like cleaning :(

briankstan
2013.03.07, 08:59 AM
so what do you do when the rules specifically state that no traction compound can be used. it doesn't sound like running on this track would be leagal at all under the stated rules. I'm curious as to why traction compound was being used on the smooth side and not needed on the textured side? is there that much less traction?

TIRES

All Classes
Any Brand of Rubber tire ONLY. No foam tires or silicon tires allowed. No tire insert use. No traction compounds allowed on tire or on race surface. Tire warmers are allowed. Tires may be cleaned with a 70% alcohol solution. If a driver uses tire cleaner that has been deemed illegal, the driver will be subject to any penalties that apply. Please address any questions concerning tire cleaners at the drivers meeting.

Kay-Dee
2013.03.07, 09:33 AM
We are sportsman enough to do it without any tire treatments but the compound is still in the track.
In other series which will held here its allowed :(
The troubles starts in early days, we all run on carpet or painted wooden surfaces. When we started using RCP Tracks everybody was still using tire with high parts of silicon in. After a while it was decided to switch to special Kyosho tires because new rules was given by Kyosho (Kyosho supported our racing series). It was extremly slippery and a few clubs starts using compound.
To stay in competition a few driver started the same way here since then traction compound was used till we change to the rough side.

I only know one club in germany who is driving on the smooth side and any tire treatment is forbidden. They had much more grip then all the others but less then textured sided tracks.

briankstan
2013.03.07, 09:38 AM
Good info, thanks.

Racer-HH
2013.03.07, 10:35 AM
to add something to Kay-Dees statement:

properly broken in both sides will have enough grip to run races - the textured side is of course more grippy than the smooth side and also more tire consuming. I think yasui had a good description of what to expect when changing sides some posts before.

But once silicon tires debris and / or traction compound is on the RCP track it is hard to be competitive without it - especially when the rules allowed it and some of the better drivers used it.
As everybody was happy with the switch to textured RCP nobody really cared until now to find a way to clean the smooth side, but I hope we will have a solution prior to our scheduled PN Regional in August.

yasuji
2013.03.07, 08:16 PM
to add something to Kay-Dees statement:

properly broken in both sides will have enough grip to run races - the textured side is of course more grippy than the smooth side and also more tire consuming. I think yasui had a good description of what to expect when changing sides some posts before.

But once silicon tires debris and / or traction compound is on the RCP track it is hard to be competitive without it - especially when the rules allowed it and some of the better drivers used it.
As everybody was happy with the switch to textured RCP nobody really cared until now to find a way to clean the smooth side, but I hope we will have a solution prior to our scheduled PN Regional in August.

for cleaning the track all we did was vacuum the track then mop it with a damp mop just to pick up any residual dust.... we never allow any silicone tire or traction compound at our track and we have never used the smooth side until this year.... we are using rrr06 and depending on the driver...rsf15/20 rfx15 fronts

briankstan
2013.03.12, 12:32 PM
If Brain was not willing to help me with front tires I would have never done as well as I did at that race... cuz all I had was 15F and softer.....

Who is this "Brain" you speak off... http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/forum/Smileys/ellow_red/rofl3.gif

LOL, I can't tell you how many times people type that.

Glad to help. I was still running 15's on my setup :)

imxlr8ed
2013.03.12, 12:48 PM
Tires should last down to the last thin molecules of rubber IMO. I say this only because I have witnessed this a few times and have done it a bunch of times. To me, the setup of the car determines how much tire you need also, the balance of tires front to back will determine how fast the rears or fronts wear out.

I have had some very basic setups on a few of my cars that get about the same amount of traction from month to month and the tire wear has not affected the cars handling one bit. I have had other cars where it seemed they would only perform when they had the freshest set of rears on. This is why I usually try to tune my cars on mid-level worn tires first before I try to put new ones on. If I get the car to run decently on the worns, I know I've got the car fairly balanced. I usually start out with worn 30s on the front and some well-worn 20 slicks on the rear, once I get the car about where I want it I will then proceed to dip into my not-so-worn tire collection. If I really want to get the car up to speed, I'll try the brand-new tires only after I've tried different plates and springs to see if they would get the car closer first.

I do still wipe my tires clean with WD40 and this in itself can really affect a setup. In all of my "testing" I've found that the WD doesn't do a thing to the RCP. This might have a lot to do with how I can keep my tires going as long a I do.

arch2b
2013.03.12, 12:54 PM
age, use and environmental conditions play a big part in how the surface performs. this holds true however for any surface really. the degree of deviation may be less though.

i'm always amazed at the length the competitive racers will go to squeeze out that little extra bit from everything. i'm impressed with the level of detail and effort put into the most minute of issues such as putting a tire on a wheel. i wouldn't do it but i'm not a super competitive racer either :p i've never trued a tire and at most tape them on. occasionally someone will glue the edges but i typically don't bother. i change tries maybe once every two to three months. that is really based on my racing 2-3 times a month at most as well. there are a 100 shades of grey when it comes to racing and preparation.

DanDan
2013.03.12, 01:19 PM
I got a chance to do some testing/tuning on the smooth side of the RCP. My short wheelbase 50t car was tuned pretty well on the textured side so I left it alone. I did all my experimentation with a 98mm chassis I just put together. After a couple hours of driving and tuning it seemed like I had a decent setup going, but I wanted to be able to drive the car more consistently. I put the appropriate tires on for the smooth side on my short car and with minor setup changes it was apparent that this was the way I wanted to go.

I found that adding a bit of negative camber helped the car rotate. I also was able to learn a bit more about how to drive on the smooth side. I found that I had to wait a little longer for the car to rotate on this side of the track than I did on the same layout textured side. My right hand movements throughout the corner changed a bit, and I found that I could not be as aggressive with the left hand. The smooth side offers less rolling resistance. My car accelerated quicker, but did not slow down as quickly. I found that turning up my steering travel and using wheel scrub as a way to aid in slowing down the car seemed to help a little.

The tires I ended up using were the Kyosho 20 Radial in the rear and the PN 20 front on 19mm rims. I also figured out a little trick with the PN 20 front tires. I found that after a healthy dose of usage that the tires seemed to lose a bit of grip despite not wearing down much (these tires don't wear! love 'em!) To rejuvenate them I threw them on the tire truer and took off just enough material to fully expose a fresh layer of rubber. Just like new, I even had to break them in for half a pack with my steering travel at 40 like I would a brand new set.

arch2b
2013.03.12, 01:37 PM
until I'd see what a truer will do for the handling at Bri-an-k-stans's race myself I would've said it was not needed either... it waas not just a little more squeeze, it was like my car was sprinkled with pixie dust !

i don't doubt the usefulness at all. i race with drivers like mike keely, bill, etc. who are extremely fast and they go through all the check lists, tweaking, etc. and it shows in their results. i personally am not invested as much in that level of competition, monetarily, technically or focus of attention. i really enjoy racing and having a good time doing it :) i even enjoy watching others go through all that effort as it's interesting to see and learn. i just don't care to go through it all myself :p i had a similar experience with well matched and cared for batteries... just night and day difference in performance.

has anyone run brushless on the smooth side? the combination would seem to be more tricky to setup than brushed due to the nature of the smooth side and characteristics of the brushless car. both would seem to permit carrying much more speed through the course.

briankstan
2013.03.12, 02:07 PM
it was like my car was sprinkled with pixie dust !

most of our guys say I have that same effect on their cars as well.

imxlr8ed
2013.03.12, 02:19 PM
I just go a lot faster than you...:D

Calm down... I wasn't challenging your skill levels. :D That's why we have Time Trial layouts in HFAY. ;)

I think this thread has been completely hijacked now.

lfisminiz
2013.03.12, 09:13 PM
There are people who have a deep interest in this hobby and decide to travel to race at other locations. I have traveled to various tracks around the USA, farthest being in Myrtle Beach.

The PNWC is just more than a race. It allows people to make new friends and share their knowledge with others, which in turn helps others back at home tracks.

As for the smooth side for the PNWC, I will try it this weekend and post some tips.

Well said, Luke! Ill be awaiting your thoughts and how your KIY does.;)

Traveler
2013.03.14, 04:41 AM
Arch, looks like we need this thread split in two. One for discussing the PNWC surface, and the other for setup tips for the smooth side of RCP. I'd start this new one, but not sure of the best location, Setups or Race Tracks, Track Layouts, Track Accessories :confused: My next post should go in the new thread ;) Thanks!

Traveler
2013.03.14, 04:50 AM
As a result of the PNWC change in track surface this year, I flipped my small home track over to the smooth side to see what it is like.

The first thing I noticed is it seems quieter (or maybe my hearing just got even worse over night). And with the lighter background, cars stood out more.

My stock 70T HSV didn't need any setup changes. Rear grip was very good and my front grip, which was too high on the rough side, was better.

My mod car on the other hand with Mosler body and PN TDS rear end developed serious understeer. It was the setup I used on LGR's new carpet track in Myrtle Beach wih K20R rears and K40 slick fronts. Switching to K40R fronts (with the tread almost worn off) helped a little.

Will keep working and posting, but so far I think I like it!

imxlr8ed
2013.03.14, 08:37 AM
When we used to run slick side it always seemed like there was a ton more traction than the rough... I'm starting to think that track temperature has more effect on the smooth side's traction level than it does on the rough side.

Traveler
2013.03.14, 08:53 AM
My track is small, but its in my finished basement, so temps are fairly constant. Here's a picture!

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33605&stc=1&d=1363269216

Traveler
2013.03.14, 08:55 AM
Wow! It looks bigger in that picture :eek:

arch2b
2013.03.14, 07:12 PM
that reminds me very much of how i got our club started with my track in my basement

yasuji
2013.03.14, 08:52 PM
When we used to run slick side it always seemed like there was a ton more traction than the rough... I'm starting to think that track temperature has more effect on the smooth side's traction level than it does on the rough side.
back in 2007 before i went to run my first race @ kenon, i ran my track on the smooth side not many tires worked on that surface as i recall... the old kyosho radials and a few of the gpm tires
so far almost every tire that i have used has worked ok if not great... some have had far too much grip :D
as far as temperature affecting it more on the smooth side.... i dont think its more or less.... its different!
seems to me the rear is affected on the rough side and the front on the smooth side

Traveler
2013.03.15, 07:37 AM
Grant, if I go to a harder spring in the rear of my PN top shock, will that give me more off power steering? :confused: Now, when I let off the throttle before the end of the straight and then try to make the 180 degree turn, my car doesn't come around.

yasuji
2013.03.15, 10:49 AM
Grant, if I go to a harder spring in the rear of my PN top shock, will that give me more off power steering? :confused: Now, when I let off the throttle before the end of the straight and then try to make the 180 degree turn, my car doesn't come around.

it will help ...u can also try softer in the front:)

Traveler
2013.03.16, 05:55 AM
Thanks! I went from Red to Orange on front and Blue to Green on top shock and it helped... But I need more! Can I do anything with side damper springs? Currently running shiney silver stock spring. Thanks for the help!

blt456
2013.03.17, 09:47 PM
I got to drive on the smooth side today at my local track. Only thing I changed from my rough side setup was front tires and tplate. I think the setup changes are minimal and don't require much effort, at least for Inside Line Racing.

This side does feel different than the rough side, but it is not a huge difference.

yasuji
2013.03.17, 10:37 PM
Thanks! I went from Red to Orange on front and Blue to Green on top shock and it helped... But I need more! Can I do anything with side damper springs? Currently running shiney silver stock spring. Thanks for the help!
the shiny silver springs are stiffer than red but softer than green
me personally i run the blue springs from the top shock set
(0) preload with a #4 g-10 t-plate

yasuji
2013.03.17, 10:38 PM
I got to drive on the smooth side today at my local track. Only thing I changed from my rough side setup was front tires and tplate. I think the setup changes are minimal and don't require much effort, at least for Inside Line Racing.

This side does feel different than the rough side, but it is not a huge difference.

:) glad to hear! see you next weekend!

bcpzx3
2013.03.18, 04:03 AM
:) glad to hear! see you next weekend!

Did you not get the e-mail?
We did a club vote and have been shunned from the ILR community. :p

Traveler
2013.03.18, 04:12 AM
Thanks for info Grant! I needed to go up 1mm on rear offsets under Mosler to get it to turn. Now all is great.

I agree that the smooth side is more consistent, and has very good rear traction, but not so much front bite that traction roll is a problem (the rough side of my home track was really bad about this). So overall, I think I like the smooth side better :eek: But I need more time on it. Would also be curious to see consistency of smooth side between tracks as I hope to travel to a couple of PN regionals this year.

For kicks, I put my F1 car (that never ran worth a flip on any surface and was getting ready to be sold) down on the smooth side. Magic! Drives like a dream! Go figure! :confused:

MXMRCR
2013.03.18, 06:41 AM
For kicks, I put my F1 car down on the smooth side. Magic! Drives like a dream! Go figure! :confused:

the N.I.A. guys in Japan run their F1 series on the smooth side, here in the UK there is talk of running an F1 only meeting on the weekend of the Brit GP trying to replicate Silverstone in RCP :confused: and i am suggesting we run on the smooth side.

Traveler
2013.03.19, 05:08 PM
I've always had to be very careful vacuuming the rough side because I can't stop the brushes on my vacuum cleaner from rotating (like you can on some models) and sometimes the brushes would dig into the surface a little and stick. :eek: I was afraid this would be worse on the smooth side, as it might be more likely to create a vacuum seal, :o but it's actually easier to vacuum with no such digging or sticking. :):):)

Another thing I noticed is that the gap between tiles is much smaller ( nonexistent actually) with the smooth side up. I realize this doesn't make sense, as flipping the track over shouldn't change this tolerance and I initially couldn't explain it. :confused: But I think it has to do with the surface the track is on. Carpet! With rough side up, I think the tiles could more easily separate a little when walked on or even raced on, creating a gap in the seam, because the smooth side could slide against the carpet. Now with the rough side down against the carpet, there is less moving of tiles, so there's no gap. Just my hypothesis as to why, but I’m happy with the fact that there are no gaps in the track now! :):):)