PDA

View Full Version : Sams Club foam mat lack of traction

GiantScale
2005.01.15, 11:24 PM
When I picked up 48 2x2' pcs of Util-A-Mat reversible mat from Sams Club, I was surprised to see both sides had a texture on them. One side was a bit less texture(black side) so I built my track with the black up. After running my 1/18th scale brp on it in left hand oval course, I realized it was pretty slick even with the soft pink foam wheels I used. Tweaking the car for left handers helped a bit and Im sure I could get a nice left hand controlled slide. But if I ever wanted to run road course ,the surface is just to slick. Lots of over steer with most of the forward momentum lost due to the rear sliding around.

What have you people who run this surface done to gain more traction? I have not cleaned the mats with 409 yet. Maybe denatured alcohol? One fellow ironed the texture out. Will these things help traction?
The office carpet track I run at could traction roll your car if your not careful and thats the traction I was hoping for when I practice in the living room.

I might just have to return them.

Thanks

Capt. Oversteer
2005.01.16, 12:53 AM
I picked up some mats a while back at PepBoys. They are like treadplate on one side and smooth on the other. We ran our cup cars on them at my LHS and found that running 20's on the rear and on the left front helped a lot. I am going to get some more from there soon.

noez
2005.01.16, 10:37 AM
There should be one texured side(slick side)and one smooth side(grippy side).Btw,how many did you get,I have 18.

GiantScale
2005.01.16, 01:11 PM
Thanks. I have 48 mats. 8x24 area.

Sounds like I may have bought something different. I dont have a smooth surface on either side. The black side has less texture. Damn :mad:

Heres some pics..

noez
2005.01.16, 03:13 PM
My mats are for a weight room.The smooth side is really grippy.I guess just run reall soft tires.

Torque
2005.01.16, 04:47 PM
How much did you guys pay for your mats, im looking for something like that but lowes sells 4 that take up 16 square feet for $17 for 4.. and it would take alot to cover the room i want to cover.

noez
2005.01.16, 05:09 PM
I payed $17 for 6 mats at walmart.

GiantScale
2005.01.16, 06:43 PM
I paid $15 for 8 at sams club. Iv heard of a guy who got 2 for a buck at the dollar store. :eek:

I cleaned one with acetone and it really made it grip. More than enough traction now! The mold release silicone makes it slippery so it needs removed. MEK works better (etch's the shinny surface) ,but both require major ventilation & organic vapor resperater.

Torque
2005.01.16, 09:50 PM
I paid $15 for 8 at sams club. Iv heard of a guy who got 2 for a buck at the dollar store. :eek:

I cleaned one with acetone and it really made it grip. More than enough traction now! The mold release silicone makes it slippery so it needs removed. MEK works better (etch's the shinny surface) ,but both require major ventilation & organic vapor resperater.

How long ago did you buy them there?

Torque
2005.01.16, 10:44 PM
How long ago did you buy them there?
Anothing is I found this in the mini-z album. http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/Mini-Z-Racing-Track/182_G.gif
Where would you find/buy something like this and what would it be called?

GiantScale
2005.01.17, 11:12 AM
Anothing is I found this in the mini-z album. http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/Mini-Z-Racing-Track/182_G.gif
Where would you find/buy something like this and what would it be called?

No idea what that is. Looks like foam weather stripping. But Green? :confused:

I bought the mats a few days ago.

When I tested the acetone & MEK it looked like it removed the skin formed by heat when molding. The MEK disolved the release agent & foam & you wiped off the skin with just a few wipes of a soaked rag.
I have not done this to the whole track yet so its still unproven. But I want to remove the release agent before roughing it up with 200 grit if I have to.

The trick is to remove the release agent & the shinny skin I believe.

Torque
2005.01.17, 05:52 PM
what do you guys build your walls out of?

GiantScale
2005.01.18, 06:15 PM
Thats the next challenge. But with so much newfound traction & control who needs um? :)

The center divider is what I need. Can't count the times my son crossed it & slammed me head on with his 18T. :rolleyes:

What a blast though! We've had so much fun running the 1/18 oval.

For 1/18th the textured mats are ok after cleaned. I would guess the smooth mats would also work well with Mini-Z's after it was cleaned with MEK or acetone

Ryan Gardner
2005.01.20, 05:06 PM
How much did you guys pay for your mats, im looking for something like that but lowes sells 4 that take up 16 square feet for $17 for 4.. and it would take alot to cover the room i want to cover.

I went to just about every store in the area Saturday looking for mats. I found that Sam's club would be unacceptable because not only is one side pre-school colored, but both sides are textured now. They are the cheapest ($16 for 8 - 2x2 ft mats)

Target had some - but their mats were 18 inches. They seemed to have the same interlocking sizes as the 2x2 ft mats, and were 10 for 6 I think... I cant' remember exactly. I remember it not being a great deal when you considered covering a large area.

Lowes was by far the worst price. 4 for $16 is nuts for foam mats.

Wal-Mart had the best price. I bought them out of foam mats. They had 6 2x2 ft mats for $17... They are textured on one side, and smooth on the other.

They have plenty of edge pieces that I pinned down to the edge of the track with 1 3/4th inch straight pins. These pins stick out past the edge and will dig into the carpet below the track and are okay except for major hits (which just lifts the track wall up)

The pins are good because they make it easy to rearrange the track with custom layouts and not be stuck to the same straightaway/same-radius turns.

Ryan

ruknd@aol.com
2005.01.20, 05:20 PM
Those are the Mats I have, the stick pin I dea is great after you have your area laid down for inner walls. But around the perimeter, try attaching the edges at a 90 degree andgle, its much better, IMHO)

SocialD
2005.01.21, 03:15 PM
You can get 6 2x2 mats at Pepboys and Costco. They are $9 and $10 respectively.

You'll notice in the picture that the mats are two different shades. The lighter shade mats, the mats that are closer to the camera, were the mats that I just bought from Pepboys. I had bought the other mats earlier and Pepboys switched suppliers. So, I was unable to match the existing mats. :mad:

I used PVC and pipe insulation for rails. Then, I used the left over borders from the mats to wrap around the corners. I attached those to the rails with zip ties.

GiantScale
2005.01.21, 10:23 PM
Nice track..

At our local races, my rc18T drives right over 3" tall vinyl gutter. Must be the fact that the gutter does not have a flat side.

After a bit of practice the joints for the square down spout look good & are very tight since one was pulled over the other. I slid them in about 3" after heating.

I have some large radius steel cylinders at work. 8 foot, 4 foot etc. diameter. I will try to heat the down spout , & pull a nice radius corner over them.

GiantScale
2005.01.30, 09:29 PM
Its finished now. It took a bit longer than expected, but worth the wait.

Now I dont have to wait til race day to run some laps!

arch2b
2005.01.30, 09:53 PM
that is farily large! must have been a ton of binder clips :p

TNB
2005.01.30, 10:07 PM
Did you count them? ;)

GiantScale
2005.01.30, 10:15 PM
I bought a box of 144 clips ,which was less than $14 at staples. Curved walls were .030 pvc with 90 degree bent on bottom. Heating the downspout for the radius corner didnt work. Allot less clips were needed on the straight walls.

Total cost was around $150 for 260 square feet & 65 mats. But quite a few man hours invested. But worth it! & still married! lol