PDA

View Full Version : AH! Someone stop me...

ChattavegasSE
2005.01.31, 12:52 AM
...before I call the owner of this car and talk him down a few bills! My car will be paid off Friday and I'll have no problem picking right up on another loan for the same amount/time. Manomanomanomanomanoman! New(ish) motor, clutch, and headlights - which are a real problem on this car, trust me. :rolleyes: Geez, I might have to...

Link to '98 Contour SVT Jet Black, tint, black/blue leather interior.
http://www.bigboosting.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=6241

arch2b
2005.01.31, 06:37 AM
the car alone would be enough to stop me. it's a contour.... it's about as bland as the new gto. sure, tons of power but stlying is poo poo. if you want power and crummy looks get the dodge omni glhs. i've seen some with close to 300hp at 1800lbs. (total car weight). it doen't take much to get them there either.

unless you have a history with this body line i don't understand the attraction. but then again, i've never been much of a ford guy so there you go ;)

byebye
2005.01.31, 09:34 AM
...before I call the owner of this car and talk him down a few bills! My car will be paid off Friday and I'll have no problem picking right up on another loan for the same amount/time. Manomanomanomanomanoman! New(ish) motor, clutch, and headlights - which are a real problem on this car, trust me. :rolleyes: Geez, I might have to...

Link to '98 Contour SVT Jet Black, tint, black/blue leather interior.
http://www.bigboosting.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=6241

A few bills and it's free... :p . Are you in the market for an svt or a contour? I know the svt series is pretty good but a contour? Unless you are into that grandma sleeper look I guess it's a good buy. For $5400 thats actually not that bad. Good luck with that.

Spoon
2005.01.31, 10:13 AM
Every month that you don't have a car payment you are basically paying yourself.

You could just keep driving your car, every two months you buy 1 mini-z and all the hopups you want, and you'll still be ahead.

Just my 2 cents.

byebye
2005.01.31, 10:14 AM
Good point spoon! Man I wish I was on my last car payment...........

Ninja
2005.01.31, 11:56 AM
Good point spoon! Man I wish I was on my last car payment...........
dont we all, but then again, i just wish i had a job :(

ChattavegasSE
2005.01.31, 01:23 PM
I currently own a Contour, v6, bright red, perfect paint, solid transmission, etc.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/278000-278999/278249_80_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/278000-278999/278249_187_full.jpg

With a set of headers and a better exhaust, it ain't your gramma's Contour. Before this current car, I had a blue 4 cylinder Contour. This is what made me feel even more loyalty; I walked away from this:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/278000-278999/278249_48_full.jpg

This is a hugely underrated car. The SVT version (that I'm looking at) was named the best handling front wheel drive domestic ever built, that title was given to the Focus SVT in 2002. I live in the mountains, I could care less about 1/4 mile timeslips. You can keep your Dodge Omni, I want a car that handles on rails. 200hp 195tq 2.5L v6, very strong 5-speed manual transmission, all leather interior, twice-Extrude Honed intake manifolds; which were tuned by Cosworth. The overall engine design is an almost exact copy of an slightly older Porsche engine. The SVT's were hand built by a team of avid motorsport enthusiasts within Ford, several of which I know personally through various Contour message boards.

I drove a friend's Contour SVT through Deal's Gap in North Carolina. Needless to say, only seasoned S2000 and Miata MX5 drivers could keep up; and were never able to put any pressure on me. I followed a well modified Focus SVT with a rally-experienced driver in that Contour SVT and stayed with him. Drive a Contour SVT. It'll surprise you, no matter how high your expectations are. I know exactly to the number what that car can do, and everytime I drive one, it still blows me away.

I don't need this car, I want this car. My lady needs a car. I told her to pick this car or my car. Either way, she's gettin one of 'em.

arch2b
2005.01.31, 01:44 PM
all that may be true but it's wrapped in a horrible shell. almost deviod of any style. from the odd sloped front to the mis porportioned grille and almost featureless bumper... it may scream take me faster from the engine but from the exterior it saying, i'm going to the grocery store.... it's just not a nice looking car. that was my only point regarding the omni which is just as much an obscure looking but all go car. you can find lots of not to attractive cars that handle well and if you like them than anything i say doens't really matter. i know it wouldn't stop me if i were in your shoes.

it sounds like you had your mind pade up already... so why ask for reasons to stop :p ;)

i'm with the others.... your free and clear almost. if your lady needs a car i suggest you get her to buy and swap. giver her the payment.... i would love to be free of a car payment. not to buy toys, but to pay off student loans :eek:

btw, i've seen alot of these at drag events as well (in jersey). i even know a few drivers with them. well, those and sho tarus... iv'e been around them and not just ranting from inexperience.

ChattavegasSE
2005.01.31, 02:49 PM
I hear ya arch, but the styling is what drew me to the car in the first place. The SVT's have a different body kit, lower, more agressive, but the overall lines of the car are still smooth. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I mean, c'mon, here's some of my other projects:

1986 Subaru XT Turbo
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/663000-663999/663057_12_full.jpg

1980 Subaru Hatch 4-spd manual full time 4wd
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/663000-663999/663057_4_full.jpg

1986 Subaru Hatch
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/663000-663999/663057_2_full.jpg

I'm going to take the 1.8L Turbo motor out of the XT, mate it to the 4-spd manual full time 4wd transmission and drive train from the '80 Hatch and drop 'em into the red '86 Hatch. The red '86 Hatch is in way better condition than the silver '80 Hatch. The silver Hatch was rear-ended and the front is crooked. The red '86 is in way better mechanical shape (suspension, brakes, steering rack) than the silver '80 and will take the stronger motor easier.

I'll rebuild the motor, new forged internals, port n polish heads, regrind the cams, new turbo, new oversized turbo-back straight pipe exhaust, turbo to giant front mount intercooler, exhaust manifolds to the turbo, and piping from the intercooler to the throttle. I'll then box the rear suspension in and tie it off to the roll cage, 5-point harness, Corbeau Forza seats (just 2 ;) ), and I'll also bring the super cool gauge cluster out of the XT Turbo and put it in the Hatch. I'm shooting for 200hp and 1200lbs of turbocharged, 4wd, Japanese rallye car.

The biggest problem I forsee is running a second fuel line; the XT Turbo's motor is EFI, but the original 1.6L in the Hatch is carbeurated.

arch2b
2005.01.31, 03:09 PM
you should really check out the omni (not that i like it).... yeah it's ugly but it's got some serious work under the hood right from the factory. this would make a better sub 2000lb rocket. ofcourse it isn't going to fit the bill of a japanese ralley car but it's in the same genre of what your doing. here is a bit of surprising history regarding the omni glhs. i never knew about this car until i saw one and did some research. one was featured on a car tv show recently as well.
i wish i had the time, space and money to work on cars.... it's alot of fun. it looks, sounds like you get to do a fair amount of it.

so, good luck with the ralley car. sounds like it will be fun to drive. and try to get your girl to foot hte bill for the new contour :p
Also in 1984, a new model called the Omni GLH arrived. Appropriately named "Goes-Like-Hell", this Dodge Omni was created with the right-hand man known as Carroll Shelby. The '84 GLH was not turbocharged and was available only with a 110-bhp naturally aspirated engine. It did, however, have a special camshaft, milled block (.020) to bring up the compression for major power gains, and a chrome engine dress-up valve cover. No ground effects came from the factory on the 1984 GLHs. Chrysler's "direct-connection" designed an after-market ground effects kit for the Omni's that eventually became the production versions found on the 1985s and '86s.

The 1985 and 1986 Omni GLHs were available with either the 110-bhp high-output engine or a 146-bhp turbo 2.2-liter engine, which created a power rocket waiting to fly off the road. Alloy wheels, unique tape decor and ground effects rounded out the package.

The Omni GLHS started in 1986 based on a 4-door model and had a modified Garrett Turbo I engine, a long-runner tuned intake (2 piece) manifold, and of course an intercooler. This engine sounds like the Shelby Turbo II, but it isn't because it does not have any of the forged internal parts (crank, rods, pistons, etc.). GLH-S production was only 500 in 1986. Color was only black with a grey interior. Options included an oil cooler, and roll-bar.

Carroll Shelby bought only 1,000 of the already limited-production GLH models and upgraded them with Koni adjustable shocks and struts, 15" Goodyear Gatorback tires, and modified the engine to reach Turbo II specs of 175 hp! These cars are known as the 1987 GLH-S, and look much like an upgraded '83 Shelby Charger, with again the tape decor, and this time major performance modifications. It was a 2-door coupe only in black with grey interior.

Ray Grosse clarified that there were 500 1986 Omni GLHS models, and 1,000 1987 Shelby Charger models. The 1987s were not made from GLH Omnis. : I Enjoy and visit your site often though I would like to point
Both batches were equipped with the adjustable Konis, Gatorback tires, and Turbo 1 engine with Turbo 2 induction/turbo/electronics setup.

ChattavegasSE
2005.01.31, 03:26 PM
Oh yeah, I know all about those Shelby's. :D :D :D See the thing about these Suabaru's they were free!! I was given these cars, so I'm putting them together to make a killer car; hopefully.

arch2b
2005.01.31, 03:33 PM
ahh, nothing better than freebies :p

ruknd@aol.com
2005.01.31, 04:20 PM
Those are like dry white toast...not to offend...they obviously sell. ford has some pretty sweet design firms overseas....you think they'd tale the route of chrystler and use those resources. If I had to choose a ford in that budget...I'd go ford focus...

El Tigre
2005.01.31, 07:02 PM
Chatta, I would do it, it makes me think of those SHO's, they dont look like much but they haul A$$. By the way I test drove the Subaru WRX, Focus SVT, Lancer (crap), Civic Si, MR2 recently. The Focus had the power, refinement and handling I wanted and the rice just could not deliver. The WRX shifted like crap and was a dog in the bottom end, no get up and go until 3rd gear. I have nothing good to say about the Lancer, and the Civ. Si is overrated, but neat. The MR2 is the best of the Jap cars but what you get for the money is not there. I ended up with the VW GTI 1.8t, now I know what your thinking, they were Consumer Reports most unreliable car. But they handle great, a lot of power for their price. A stock motor (180hp) chipped will push 215 to 230hp at the crank. A bigger turbo will get you over 300hp. I got it new for $16K and have had no problems, which by the way have had mostly to do with the MAF and Diverter Valves and sometimes coil packs. Anyway, I like your pick. Oh yes, check out those Neon SRT-4, very nice, but why the Neon of all cars to performancize (not sure if thats a word).

ChattavegasSE
2005.01.31, 10:24 PM
ruknd - Ford America built 990,900 Contours/Mercury Mystiques from 1995-2000. In the first 3 years the Focus was on the market, Ford produced over 2 million. The Contour was based off the European Ford Mondeo. The Contour wound up being "too Euro" for the American market and quickly fizzled away. The European Mondeo has been around since 1994 and still out-sells any Ford sedan in the European market. Can ya tell I've done my homework? :D :D

El Tigre - You really should have given the WRX STI a spin. OMG-power/torque from idle. The standard WRX is a dog compared to it. Couple that 300-some-odd-hp 2.5L flat 4 to that WRC-spec 6-speed and you've got a real winner. Price, on the other hand, is (IIRC) about 10grand more than the standard WRX. Since you went with the GTI, I reckon you wouldn't be able to pull the $30,000 outta your hat; which is completely understandable. The Focus SVT is a heck of a car. A friend of mine has a black '02 with black wheels, Euro projector headlights, smoke turn signals and 35% black tint. It's a mean lookin car that can back up its aggressive look, that's for sure. He also has an Esslinger underdrive pulley kit and Eibach springs wrapped around Koni struts. No surprise about the Lancer, unless it's an Evo, it's a waste of money. Not to mention the fact that Mitsubishi posted on their website that they search SCCA online records for Evo owners and void/cancel their warranty immediately. :eek: But the Evo VIII, well there's problems with the rear diff giving out around 10k miles, too; not good. Civic SI, overrated?!? Bwah?! Wait, it's the lack of...um...TORQUE!!! Aside from the v6-powered Hondas/Acuras, they've never had a car that can pull hard uphill from a stop. There aren't too many of those things trying to chase me up the mountains. ;) And the MR2, well, IMHO, it just say "I'm *** or I have a lil thing" and I've never like this current MR2. Now, go back in time to the turbo'ed MR's from the mid-late '90's and man oh man is that a car! But you got the GTI. That 1.8L is a horse! 20 valve, right? Just plunk on a bigger turbo and intercooler, tweak the chip, and you're making Cobra chasing power. Very good choice. :cool: For some reason, Contour SVT owners do not get along with Neon owners. Both say about the other "it's still a Contour/Neon". I don't get it, but I feel I would be doing a disservice to my car clubs by getting into an SRT-4. :o Besides, any used SRT-4 has got to be dogged all to bits anyway and not worth the money anymore. This SVT is practically new and the owner has agreed to an even $5,000. I'm going to get it. :cool:

byebye
2005.02.01, 08:24 AM
I say get an SRT ;)...........but then again I am a little bias-Byebyes srt (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/byebye/P1010692)
If anyone ever decides to buy a used SRT-4 get an o4 or 05. The 03's didn't have the LSD and are sure to have been modded and ran pretty hard. It's hard not to run that car hard anyway with 250ft/lbs of fwt.

I read a little on the svt contour. 90g's on the skid pad is really damn good for a front drive sedan. I'm barely getting .88g's stock. Definately has the power to pull and I haven't searched but probably has a near 50/50 weight ratio. I have seen the contour svt and actually liked it's lowered appearance and ground effects. I didn't know anything about the svt till I searched around after seeing the contour. For the price I would get it. You already have a contour so you know what they are about. I had a 98 neon, why do you think I bought the srt-4?

El Tigre
2005.02.01, 09:09 AM
I did test drive a friends STI and it was impressive, but I am very picky about little things and I am the type to drive a car for 10 or more years. I just knew it would annoy me. The GTI was a steal ( 1.8T with Luxury and Cold Weather Packages), it stickered for $22K, I couldnt turn up an offer that good. I have never had as good an experience with a dealer as I did with this one. I got $6K off the sticker, I did not put a penny down and got 4.25% financing (I refinanced this week with my bank at 3%). I still drive my 95' Golf, 17" Flik Wasp's, CAI, Neuspeed chip, short shifter, F & R Strut Braces, Eibach Pro Kit, Magnaflow Stainless from the down pipe back. I have never needed a major repair other than the usual wear and tear items. One thing about the Honda Civic Si though, it had a lot of potential. Anyway, good luck with your Contour.

ruknd@aol.com
2005.02.01, 10:15 AM
chatta-I do agree there is something to be said about having a sleeper of a car. I dotn understand all those $500 civics with the $5000 in exhaust tip and ground effects with no performance to back it up...Id rather be seen and not heard if you know what I am saying....

eltigre...I never listen to the reports or reviews on a car...hell I've got a Land Rover...can get worse reviews than that. but let me tell you, when I'm crawling over things my jeep ran away from I'm grinning from ear to ear! I've plopped almost 80K miles on it and it really hasn't been to bad to be...I'm not complaining.

Thou as of late I've been toying with the idea of looking into a little rocket....the WRX STI has always appealed to me and now the new Saab based on the same platform looks really sweet. I've always liked driving saabs hard.

byebye
2005.02.01, 10:28 AM
Did you see the sport compact of the year for 2005? EVO VIII again! The STI is a great car with lots of power and both the sti and evo are in the 30k range, much too high for my budget.

ruknd@aol.com
2005.02.01, 10:32 AM
Did you see the sport compact of the year for 2005? EVO VIII again! The STI is a great car with lots of power and both the sti and evo are in the 30k range, much too high for my budget.
There seems to be aquite a few used ones off lease...but then again a car like that may have taken a beating...there's always the end of the year haggle. as the new models come in the old have to leave....

oh and I remember the 86 subaru turbo, it was one fast car. My friend in HS had one and it was really fun.

cam2
2005.02.01, 10:58 AM
....the WRX STI has always appealed to me and now the new Saab based on the same platform looks really sweet. I've always liked driving saabs hard.

haven't heard anything about that any links?

good luck with the contour chatta ;) not my cup of tea but i like the sleeper image.

ruknd@aol.com
2005.02.01, 11:04 AM
haven't heard anything about that any links?

good luck with the contour chatta ;) not my cup of tea but i like the sleeper image.
http://www.saabusa.com/saabjsp/92x/index.jsp

I have an uncle whu is with Saab north america and got to talking to him at a recent family event. It seems that this is fully compatible with lots of the subaru aftermarket gear...he used to work for Porsche North America....and got a new car every 6-8 weeks (no choice though)...I remember when he got the lipstick pink turbo coupe...terrible color but a terrible fast car...one of the best cars I have driven.

Jackd
2005.02.01, 12:07 PM
Since you're a Ford man, why dont you move up the food chain and get a Mustang with a 4.6 or 5.0, they can be had for less 5K with decent mileage. They're easy to fix, easy to hop up too and have gobs of torque when hopped up correctly. Ive purchased 3 different 5.0 convertibles for under 5K over the past 10 years and have really been happy with them. They tend to attract the ladies in the summer time too, if you're interested in that kind of thing.

byebye
2005.02.01, 01:37 PM
jackd-this is off topic but you still in DC?

TNB
2005.02.01, 07:29 PM
Since you're a Ford man, why dont you move up the food chain and get a Mustang with a 4.6 or 5.0.
I used to own a '69 Mustang. I kind of miss it though I hadn't owned a Ford since I purchased one last Friday. It was delievered yesterday though it wasn't a Mustang and dwarfs the Corvette. :D

byebye,
I read that signature line in a VFW magazine sometime ago. I was going to mention it earlier but have just never mentioned it. Nowdays, I hardly ever read them.

byebye
2005.02.02, 12:13 AM
@TNB- it was in an emial my mom in law sent me. I lfmao!

SO what FORD did you get btw?

ChattavegasSE
2005.02.02, 01:43 AM
Wow! I didn't know I'd start such an intellible discussion! That's never happened before for me. :rolleyes:

Since you're a Ford man, why dont you move up the food chain and get a Mustang with a 4.6 or 5.0, they can be had for less 5K with decent mileage. They're easy to fix, easy to hop up too and have gobs of torque when hopped up correctly. Ive purchased 3 different 5.0 convertibles for under 5K over the past 10 years and have really been happy with them. They tend to attract the ladies in the summer time too, if you're interested in that kind of thing.
Jack, I am a Ford man, yessireebob. BUT I live in the mountains, very few Mustangs can take the hairpins and switchbacks like the Contour SVT, let alone even my Contour in SE trim. I've always liked Mustangs; I have more Mustang models and die cast than any other car; or brand for that matter. As far as attracting the ladies, did you read the first post? This car (or my car) is for my lady. :p

Wow though, this thread has gotten really deep. That's awesome. I've set up a meeting with the seller February 12; almost definitly with cash in hand. I'll know by that Sunday if there's another 200 ponies in the corral. ;)