PDA

View Full Version : 'Bout the new room...

ChattavegasSE
2005.02.06, 08:27 PM
I went to Wally World tonight to look at door knobs, dead bolts, latches, and locks. They have a few knob/dead bolt sets for around $20-25. They also have super heavy duty latches and locks, the latches were no higher than $8, and the locks were about the same price. Should I go for looks (new knob and dead bolt set) or for ease of installation (latch and padlock)? Methinks they would cost about the same.

pHREDD
2005.02.06, 09:31 PM
Eric, Im betting they wont let you instal a deadbolt or any type of latch...All we need is a keyed door knob. you shoule be able to get 1 pretty cheap.

Ken Mifune
2005.02.06, 09:33 PM
Make sure that a hasp/padlock isn't against fire code.

ChattavegasSE
2005.02.07, 12:29 PM
Yeah I didn't think about the fire code. Ok, I'm bout to leave now, and I'll pick up just a new door knob. I'll ask about a new dead bolt when I get to the rec center; I can always get one of those later.

I did find some supapimpin glass door knob sets that were cool lookin; but way too pimpin for that hallway, I reckon.

Man alive, I've got 4 handy-man things to do today. :rolleyes:

arch2b
2005.02.07, 12:38 PM
it's not so much the fire code... it's the building code in general such access etc. fire code will tell you what kind of door you need in terms of fire rating and hardware such as closers etc. building code will tell you what can be locked and what kind of lock etc. but the 2 often overlap so it's good to review both. atleast that is my understanding of it..... i don't do alot of code research as i do more of the construction documents.

here is what you will likely need
classroom door lockset
http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=2730

pHREDD
2005.02.07, 01:11 PM
this is a very old school and all the knobs I have seen in it are round. I think all we will need is an exterior locking door knob

arch2b
2005.02.07, 01:46 PM
whether or not you choose to make it ada accceptable i guess is up to you (round vs. lever handle). you should make sure that it can not be locked (prevent exiting) from the inside however.
techincally, it doesn't matter how old the school is. any new work that would require a permit would have to conforum to existing building standard/ada guidelines. i realize you are just trying to replace a knob but if you think of it from my point of view (architect) i would just buy the right thing. then again, the property manager might not care at all what you do. it's your money though so i'm not about to tell you what to do with it. i gather this is to secure your track space? will you have to provide the proerty manager with a key as well?

pHREDD
2005.02.07, 04:06 PM
we have already outgrown the room we are in now and to move to this bigger room (which is missing a door knob) a door knob will have to be installed to secure our track. the manager of the rec center will have a key and if we supply the knob we will have a key. right now we dont have a key to our room and we have to find someone to unlock the room when we want to race. I wouldnt waste the money on anything other than a standard keyed exterior door knob. This will be the cheapest wayout for us.

arch2b
2005.02.07, 04:24 PM
yikes, new room with no key = bad things :eek: man, you guys move up quickly to have outgrown the existign room already. do you get a good regular turnout?

it would be frustrating to have to hunt down somone to get a key to get into the room each time :(

Ninja
2005.02.07, 05:16 PM
our turnout has doubled since we first started racing at this new location. i cant wait to see who all turns up this week. :D

Ken Mifune
2005.02.07, 05:16 PM
...I wouldnt waste the money on anything other than a standard keyed exterior door knob...Yep, and whether it's a knob set or dead bolt, a single cylinder will be your best bet. A dual cylinder might raise some eyebrows, especially in a "classroom" at a rec center, even if there is more than one door for that room.

pHREDD
2005.02.07, 06:13 PM
when we left Hobby Town, 4 of us decided to branch out on our own and rent a mini warehouse or whatever we could find. Last thursday we had 12 racers. I would say we average 7-8 racers each week. With the promotion the rec center says they will give us it should get a little bigger

Ninja
2005.02.07, 06:36 PM
well today i made an offroad tile for use at the track, it of corse will only be used for overland and monster racing but for every $4 that someone pitches in i can make another tile, i pitched in the first $4 and made the first tile. if i get another job soon, i will pay for all the tiles myself and wont ask for donations ;) i will be bringing the tile with me this thursday :D

pHREDD
2005.02.07, 06:51 PM
lets see how it works on thursday and then we can pitch in on it :p

JTrusley
2005.02.07, 07:44 PM
lets see how it works on thursday and then we can pitch in on it :p

Was driving down the road and seen the lights on at the rec center..... i thought hummm something is going on up there so when i left my moms house stop buy the rec center and guess who was there...... Eric and he had done ripped the old door handle off ripped the carpet up and sweep the room out and had everything set up. All we had to do was take the track down there and set up a new layout (which is the meaniest track i have ever seen). I think you all will like it it is different.

JTrusley
2005.02.07, 07:46 PM
well today i made an offroad tile for use at the track, it of corse will only be used for overland and monster racing but for every $4 that someone pitches in i can make another tile, i pitched in the first $4 and made the first tile. if i get another job soon, i will pay for all the tiles myself and wont ask for donations ;) i will be bringing the tile with me this thursday :D

Take some pics and post it i will get you some money this thursday if we like it we will run them

pHREDD
2005.02.07, 07:50 PM
I hope the rec center was aware of the move :eek: did yall give them a key? I cant wait to see it.....so the strip of carpet is gone?

ChattavegasSE
2005.02.07, 11:43 PM
Yeah I told whatshisname before it took out the BFH and went to town. I bought a nice simple Kwik Set knob from Lowes for about 8 bucks. Since the door already had such an old skool lock assembly, I couldn't use the new knob's latch set up, so I put the cover plates back on and tightened the knobs together so they don't move at all. Just pull the door open.

I went over to Ace Hardware down the street and picked up a 4 1/2" hasp and the meanest Master Lock ever. The hasp turned out to be exactly 1/2" too short to go over the gap to the door frame; so I mounted it above the door; hanging down. I'm going to return the knob to Lowes. I'm out $14 for the hasp and lock. Not too shabby. :cool:

Before I swept the floor, I swept the window sills and underneath the radiators. Then I rolled up the carpet; weighs about 300lbs, and swept the whole shebang.

Attached is a drawing of the track. The track is obviously not as large as the room, but I suck at drawing so there ya go. We did, however, use almost every single piece of track. We barely have enough left over to build a little truck part.

ChattavegasSE
2005.02.07, 11:46 PM
Oh, didn't answer your questions, Fred. :p Yeah they knew, the padlock came with two keys, the guy under the bleachers has one, I've got the other on my set of keys. I was told the carpet belongs to the "Karate Guy", and I don't like messing with ninjas. He'd cut me apart with a can opener and a banana peel. When those ninjas flip out, an entire village will be burned down before you can bury your head in the sand. I don't want to piss off the ninja that owns that carpet. I hope he doesn't think we disrespected his dojo.

pHREDD
2005.02.08, 08:03 AM
The track looks fast. Looking foward to running on it. at least we will be able to drag race our trucks. Did you remove the carpet out of the room? You should store it in our old room. I will bring the cam to get pics this Thursday.

arch2b
2005.02.08, 08:11 AM
Yeah I told whatshisname before it took out the BFH and went to town. I bought a nice simple Kwik Set knob from Lowes for about 8 bucks. Since the door already had such an old skool lock assembly, I couldn't use the new knob's latch set up, so I put the cover plates back on and tightened the knobs together so they don't move at all. Just pull the door open.

I went over to Ace Hardware down the street and picked up a 4 1/2" hasp and the meanest Master Lock ever. The hasp turned out to be exactly 1/2" too short to go over the gap to the door frame; so I mounted it above the door; hanging down. I'm going to return the knob to Lowes. I'm out $14 for the hasp and lock. Not too shabby. :cool:

Before I swept the floor, I swept the window sills and underneath the radiators. Then I rolled up the carpet; weighs about 300lbs, and swept the whole shebang.

Attached is a drawing of the track. The track is obviously not as large as the room, but I suck at drawing so there ya go. We did, however, use almost every single piece of track. We barely have enough left over to build a little truck part.
use the rcp track builder program to make an accurate drawing of your track. you can even name it and add it to the rcp track db/thread

ChattavegasSE
2005.02.08, 03:17 PM
What, arch? You don't like my MSPaint drawing? :p Yeah I know, but I can't remember how many tiles long the main straight is, etc. so it's hard to make an accurate representation of it. I'm going to swing by there today after I run a few errands, so we'll see how my almost stock racer gets on.

Oh and I just rolled up the carpet and pushed it against the wall behind the door (looking at my drawing, it's along the wall at the left). Since it weighs a couple times what I weigh, I figure it can sit there until race night when there are more hands to help. Also, I was told we can take that row of folding theater seats out of the old room and bring 'em to the new room. It was also suggested that we could paint the new room however we want. He said to put big ole' racing stripes down the walls. I'm going to pull off every other ceiling tile and spray paint them black so we'll have a checkered flag ceiling.

pHREDD
2005.02.08, 03:35 PM
Thats pretty cool getting to change the colors on the room. We will have to plan a Saturday GTG for room upgrades. Now if mini-z would only send us that banner.

ChattavegasSE
2005.02.08, 03:37 PM
Oh man, there is a perfect place for that banner; on the far wall over the lockers. :cool: Todd and I already figured it out. :D What do you think of the checkered flat ceiling?

pHREDD
2005.02.08, 04:19 PM
the checkered flag idea is cool...if one could find the time to do it. :D

Ninja
2005.02.08, 06:21 PM
finding the time to go isnt a problem with me, my problem is finding the funds for gas to make the trip up there :( also eric how am i going to get in thursday? will you be getting there early? and does anyone else have a key?

ChattavegasSE
2005.02.08, 06:43 PM
I'll get there as early as I can; I'm going for a job at Mountain View Ford sellin ugly Mustang's and Focus's. :D There are 2 keys, one on my key ring, the other is with the guy that runs the joint. I can never remember his name. :confused:

pHREDD
2005.02.08, 06:50 PM
Eric, have a few extra keys made.....

Shaun
2005.02.08, 06:56 PM
About how early will someone be there on Thursday? I trying to work something out so I can be there on Thursday.

BTW where is this new room?

JTrusley
2005.02.08, 07:13 PM
About how early will someone be there on Thursday? I trying to work something out so I can be there on Thursday.

BTW where is this new room?
as you come up the stairs in is the first room on the right

Ninja
2005.02.08, 07:26 PM
im getting around to finally painting that Datsun Body thet dogbreath brought to me at the east west GTG, this thing is gonna be awesome when i get it done ;)

ChattavegasSE
2005.02.08, 08:13 PM
I meant to when I returned the door knob to Lowes. :rolleyes: I'll put that on my to-do list.

pHREDD
2005.02.11, 08:09 PM
Here are a couple shots of the new room with the track setup. we had another 8-10 cars racing last Thursday

http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/421598279/0.jpg

http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/421598279/1.jpg

http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/421598279/2.jpg

Ken Mifune
2005.02.11, 10:07 PM
Great new room.

Shaun
2005.02.12, 08:39 PM
Looks like you all had a lot of kids in there with you!
Did you guys get to do some real racing or was it chaos! :)
Thursdays aren't a good day for me. I won't be able to make it up very often. :(
Does anyone go to the track on any other day of the week?

pHREDD
2005.02.12, 08:52 PM
There was only 3 kids racing :rolleyes: ...its the same three that have bees racing with for about 1 year. The rest you see in the pics are just watching. The reason we race on Thursdays is because thats the night the Hobby Store use to have its race night. We just kinda stuck with it. I think Todd and Eric along with some others go and race on other days. If every one else could agree on a different night for race night, I would consider it. We can talk about it and see what we could come up with.

ChattavegasSE
2005.02.12, 10:27 PM
How's Tuesday night?

pHREDD
2005.02.12, 10:47 PM
thursday, friday, saturday or sunday.....these are about the only ones that will work for me

ChattavegasSE
2005.02.12, 11:07 PM
Okey. As of now, any day is good for me. Anyone else?

Ninja
2005.02.12, 11:39 PM
i think saturdays would be good, the rec center isnt open on sundays, but saturdays we could have alot more racing time :D

Shaun
2005.02.14, 09:53 AM
Friday or Saturday would be better for me. If you guys decide to change nights just post here so I can come on up. I already have Fridays off. Saturday would be good if more people could come up the the rec center early so we could do some outdoor off-road racing. RC18T coming soon! :)

byebye
2005.02.14, 10:50 AM
That's pretty cool! Looks like you guys have a nice size room and setup. Does the track stay there or do you pack and un-pack. Sorry I don't normally follow this thread;) I'm looking to do somthing similar when I get to London. Hopefully get some of the Racers their interested in a weekly or bi-weekly GTG. Since I will be there for work and my house is provided I plan on clearing out the dining room or living room for my track but for big gtg's I can pack up both wide L's and hopefully find some kind of hall to setup in. Good job guys!

pHREDD
2005.02.14, 01:01 PM
That's pretty cool! Looks like you guys have a nice size room and setup. Does the track stay there or do you pack and un-pack.

thanks byebye,

the track stays there, no packing or unpacking. We lock the door when we are finished and no one has access to the track except us (and the rec manager).

Good luck on your new setup when you get to London :D

ChattavegasSE
2005.02.14, 11:43 PM
Saturday sounds fine to me. Are we talking Thursday and Saturday?

pHREDD
2005.02.15, 07:38 AM
I can do almost every Thursday...I think I have only missed 2 or 3 times since we been racing (about 1 year :rolleyes: ) and It was because I was out of town. The saturday racing is good but I know I wont be able to make it every time.

Ninja
2005.02.15, 03:54 PM
Saturday sounds fine to me. Are we talking Thursday and Saturday?
i think i could afford the gas to run 2 days a week ;)

ChattavegasSE
2005.02.16, 02:02 PM
Good deal, Lamar. Maybe we should keep our Thursday nights at the rec center and race at the courts, or outdoors anyway, on Saturday's.