PDA

View Full Version : Racing Out doors

imjonah
2005.02.07, 09:49 PM
How do mini-z do on a smooth clean concrete surface? I am thinking of re-surfacing my 20x25 patio with a thin layer of smooth concrete.

arch2b
2005.02.07, 09:52 PM
fairly well. i ran mine out in the street for nearly 2 years

Shelby
2005.02.07, 11:06 PM
I wouldn't go too smooth. Our garage is pretty smooth and my z's do donuts if you give it a lot of throttle. Maybe smooth concrete with a sealer paint or something and some sand mixed in as you roll it on.

byebye
2005.02.08, 12:21 AM
I wouldn't go too smooth. Our garage is pretty smooth and my z's do donuts if you give it a lot of throttle. Maybe smooth concrete with a sealer paint or something and some sand mixed in as you roll it on.
Shelby's got a great idea there :D

The z's do well on concrete and sticky tires. The dust is what causes alot of the spin outs. Using a paint as suggested will help alot. From what arch2b has told me the guy that runs the LHS in charlottesville uses a no-skid paint. It would be pretty rough. I have also used flat black or a black primer as a driving surface. I used it for a 1/64th track that I built. Worked well but I don't know how well for mini-z's
Good luck!

-Byebye

imjonah
2005.02.28, 09:41 PM
Well I ran a 45 min test on my concrete patio today. I used garden hose as temporary barriers. Except for some rough spots where I tried to use some filler for the expansion cracks in the concrete, everything ran fine even though I had not re-swept or blown any dust off the track today.

I was just running a totally box stock MR-02. I have heard that the stock tires are kind of hard, which is what I read is good for concrete.

It seems like small bumps in the surface do not matter much to handling, particularly if they are not in a corner. Once I get the surface smooth I am going to work on cosmetics. I am going to try make it look more realistic, maybe even scale model look.

Ninja
2005.03.01, 07:01 AM
roll on bed liner for trucks can be found at wal-mart and seems like it would be a great track surface, also there is some spray paint thats called something like "Feck" paint or something like that, it simulates a rock like texture when sprayed on, may make a good track surface, i know it makes a good surface for OL and Monster crawling courses ;)