PDA

View Full Version : 1:32 Mini Carpet Racer

Pages : [1] 2

arch2b
2005.02.17, 04:13 PM
well, after visiting Ikinari's website for the umpteenth time so look at the new tagu 1:24 chassis kit, i ofcourse had to swing by his section on the 1:32 CRT :p i had been wanting to take the plunge ever since Ikinari first reviewd these amazingly small peices of wonder. this time i decided i was going to do something about it though ;) i've painfully allocated the funds for this, which it is NOT cheap, and will be purchasing it by the end of the month.

here's the run down... 1:32 Mini Carpet Racer or CRT (http://www.crt-remote.com/en/frames.htm)

Ikinar's review and mods (http://www1.bbiq.jp/ikinari/smallrc/crt_mcr.html)
i plan to use wither iw-02 pcb or mr-02 pcb as seen on Ikinari's website

i'm attaching some pictures of bodies that i will likely start with.

TNB
2005.02.17, 04:18 PM
One thing nice about 1/32, there are a lot of slot car bodies out there or at least where here in the local slot car shops. However, I still wouldn't plan to use my limited Ferrari.

Ferrari 512S Coda Lunga... (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album406/Fly_SC_Ferrari_512S_6)

ruknd@aol.com
2005.02.17, 04:23 PM
in the words of napoleon dynamite...totally awesome.
I've been looking at that on the intrepid site but I'm opting for a DTM x4 (I wanna drift this scale) first.

Why not the elecs for the car? The look really nice and will allow any motor without a fet upgrade?

arch2b
2005.02.17, 04:36 PM
tnb- VERY nice. i used to have slots as a kid. i guess that's why i love the scale so much. ans like you said, slot car bodies are everywhere or atleast very plenitful and the options or enormous. you can pick them up on ebay very cheap (half the price of an autoscale) compared to lhs prices and if i'm going to bang them up i would prefer not to buy them new.

ruknd- why not the fancy upgrade elecs? cost... it's already taken me this long to scrounge for the kit. why wait another year to buy upgraded elecs when i can use what i have. although i will still have to buy a micro servo.

i'll save the upgraded stuff for the mzr pro-z version 6 pocket knife, maybe ;)

ruknd@aol.com
2005.02.17, 04:50 PM
fully understandable on the electronics...any idea as to how their electronics are?

arch2b
2005.02.17, 04:58 PM
not a clue. the guy who answers the emails sent me a list of reccomended components but i never really looked into it.

btw, they generally reply to emails within about 24hrs. the english isn't the best but they typically understand what your asking and reply as best they can.

what is very curious, many manufacturer's even make 1:32 dakar vehicles ;) it might be worth while to give one or two of them a try as well.

i'm even looking into havnig some lexan copies made of some initial d bodies...

ruknd@aol.com
2005.02.17, 05:01 PM
dakar vehicke...hmmmm..who makes these?

Initial D bodies would be sweet...i'd like some initial d decals in this scale to make some.

cam2
2005.02.17, 05:20 PM
that's a nice chassis and look at all the body choices (http://www.onlytrains.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CC&Category_Code=Carsev) . there's a few musclecars too.

arch2b
2005.02.17, 08:18 PM
dakar vehicke...hmmmm..who makes these?

Initial D bodies would be sweet...i'd like some initial d decals in this scale to make some.
some of the more well known...
carrera
fly
ninco
scalextric
revell germany/monogram

who wouldn't want this?

HammerZ
2005.02.17, 10:16 PM

There is a site called "Initial D Dreams" or something like that, just do a search for it. Anyway they have a page with the team logo's and the plates for a number of the cars in gif format. My "Night Kids" logo I made from a simple text program with white letters on a black background. The orange things over the i's I made in paint. I posted it in the Nagazato R32 thread in Custom Bodies. You are more than welcome to use it.

fast4buy
2005.02.18, 10:32 AM
Good Choice Arch2B.
I have one of these beauties, dont get to drive it in anger much as there are not any in my area. I have posted my CRT chassis with two 1:32 bodies here in my Gallery (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/Racers)
The Commodore touring car body and Mercedes CLK bodies are both from slot cars. I have done a NASCAR as well which allows a long wheel base. A few naked photos are there as well. Go for bodies that allow a long wheelbase.
The opel I tried and it was a bit narrow in places to fit the battery pack in. The BMW M3 looks cool. The Mercedes CLK DTM car fits very well and the kits are cheap.

Getting the front steering geometry and traction right while still allowing enough flex to protect the servo has been the biggest hurdle. I use 40Mhz FM receiver and the twister ESC offered on the CRT site.
I only run with 4 Cell battery packs.
Next step is a faster motor at the expense of run time.

Have fun

ruknd@aol.com
2005.02.18, 10:36 AM
thanks hammer...i jsut may do that. after I finish my Ateam monster my HI micro could use Taks trueno on it

arch2b
2005.02.18, 10:54 AM
fast- thanks for posting your setup!

i will have to look into sevo saver mods for these micro servos. i know it's been done before.

i will also tinker with installing aaa brakets so i can remove them as i would on a mini-z thus avoiding building a pack and all the requirements for charging packs. i don't plan on having this done over night so it will be a tedious process of trial and error but that's one of the things l like :p

what is your speeds like? i will have a fet'ed z pcb and anythign from a stock to turbo motor to play with. are they controlable at high speed? mine will only get used on the saftey and protection of my rcp track

Mondo
2005.02.19, 03:00 PM
Arch,

Great choice those little cars are awesome
They use the Revell bodyshells on them as the wheelbase is perfect.
Let us know how it goes :)

arch2b
2005.02.19, 03:16 PM
fast- can you explain, post pictures of how you change the track width and or wheelbase?

mondo- it's hard to find revell bodies over here that don't cost $30-40. i'm shooting for the $10-15 range which relegates me to shopping on ebay. if you can find the bodies cheaper in the EU, let me know ;) so far revell, fly and ninco have been reccomended by the guy from crt and they tend to look the best.

fast4buy
2005.02.20, 05:07 AM
fast- can you explain, post pictures of how you change the track width and or wheelbase?

The front track width can only be changed with accessory front end plates which can ce ordered from CRT . These are not suitable for all bodies though (the CLK GTR Mercedes for example is one which works.

The rear track is changed by loosening the grub screw attaching the left rear wheel to the axle and sliding it out to suit, an adding shims to the other side, which I have not yet done but would be easy enough.

Wheelbase is changed by loosening the screws attaching the y shaped front end plates (top and bottom see attached photos) and sliding them to a new position and repositioning the screws. The rammer will need to be repositioned as well. I suggest changing the supplied nuts (see photso of top)where possible with lock nuts as they tend to work loose.

I do not change the wheels base too often trying to keep it as long as possible.

One long wheel base body tip is to try the Monogram Snaptite 1:32 kits of NASCAR models. (see attached photos)

As far as speed on the speed checker with my (suspect) X-speed I read 20km/h. I fitted tha Iwaver X-speed pro yesterday and was surprised to see round 40km/H on the display , and that with paper thin worn foam tires.

The battery holder is a good idea as long as the resistance is not too high and you leave space for the rear end to flex- the barrery pack is a is pretty tight fit as it is. Please et us all know how you got on with this. Chritian Uitz mentioned once something about wanting to do this as well but it has not yet appeared on his web site.

I tried a servosaver once after my first servo gave up but had trouble getting it to fit, let us know how you get on.

I also mount an internal antenne instead of ruining the roof of the slot car bodies with the drill hole. It lowers the CoG as well. I have also attached a photo of a body mounting idea that I use for the rear cut from plastic angle with a hole drilled and trimmed back, The clip is attached with hot glue.
Good luck

Cheers

arch2b
2005.02.20, 11:18 AM
thanks for the pictures.

how many bodies do you have? i just wont the revell clk and opel from ebay this weekend. i want to get an me and 69 boss

fast4buy
2005.02.20, 02:22 PM
thanks for the pictures.

how many bodies do you have? i just wont the revell clk and opel from ebay this weekend. i want to get an me and 69 boss

4 so far (to many).
Holden Commodore from my home country (slot car), CLK GTR fron Deutschland (slot car) NASCAR (1/32 Kit) from you know where. I have an old silver CLK DTM touring car (Revell kit) which was my first try out body. I am doing a safety Car version of this with a new Revell kit. They cost about $13 at the toy stores here.
Another idea is to use the Nikko 1/32 bodies from the RC kits that Ikinari used on his site with the MR01. I am particularly keen to do an Aston Martin in this ilk sometime.

I have also tried mounting the Iwaver GT40. the wheelbase is a little too short and the wheel wells a bit too big to look good when standing but whizzing around the track hard to see.

This site maybe wirth a look as well for body kits.
http://home.wanadoo.nl/dwijsman/news.htm (Holland plastic models)
BTW I put new foam tires on today and the speed checker spun up to 50km/h. :) The X-speed pro motor really sucks the amps out though :( . Run time was waaay down and my home track is too small to give it the berries for long enough to reach great speed. Need to get to a bigger track soon.

arch2b
2005.02.20, 02:40 PM
i like changing bodies up frequently... i get bored looking at the smae thing months on end.

so far i have 2 bodies. i won them on ebay for a total of about $22.
Revell 1/32 Opel Astra V8 DTM "P.M. Magazin"
Revell 1/32 Mercedes Benz CLK-DTM

i've very curious to know if the ninco raid trucks would fit? i'd also like to get some of the ralley cars. there are some awsome mclaren f1's but it would be a miracle to find them on ebay for cheap i'm sure.

fast4buy
2005.02.20, 03:11 PM
i like changing bodies up frequently... i get bored looking at the smae thing months on end.

so far i have 2 bodies. i won them on ebay for a total of about $22.
Revell 1/32 Opel Astra V8 DTM "P.M. Magazin"
Revell 1/32 Mercedes Benz CLK-DTM

i've very curious to know if the ninco raid trucks would fit? i'd also like to get some of the ralley cars. there are some awsome mclaren f1's but it would be a miracle to find them on ebay for cheap i'm sure.

They are nice bodies. Revell have recently released the 1/32 kits here as Peugot , Subaru and Citroen Rally cars.

I have looked at the Mclaren F1 but it is not suitable for a rear mount setup like the CRT. Thankfully Mini Z brought out hte F1 to still my longing :)

There is a group here buying 1/32 truck slot cars and fitting the bodies over MR02 Chassis fro truck racing so I think they are probably too big for the CRT if they are the same thing.
See: German Forum (http://549.rapidforum.com/topic=102179272178&startid=1)
Nice pics (http://549.rapidforum.com/topic=102179124247)
and yet more truck pics (http://549.rapidforum.com/topic=102179125445)

arch2b
2005.02.20, 03:21 PM
i was referring to dakar style trucks...

arch2b
2005.02.20, 03:23 PM
here are some more that i like

thanks for the warning about the mclaren, sucks though

arch2b
2005.02.25, 09:24 AM
chris told me the revell bodies fit the best sort of. your never really sure with broken english. he's good about replying to emails though.

anway, i paid for my kit today :D it's coming with the razor wheel in lue of the diablo style. i'm waiting to get an email confirmation regarding payment and eta for shipping.

ruknd@aol.com
2005.02.25, 09:32 AM
awesome arch...I'd love to see a side by side of the chassis against a z for an idea of size. These might be better than the z for a mod car on a mini 96

arch2b
2005.02.25, 09:33 AM
on a 30cm track, you may be right ;)

i'll put on the vodafone body first as i have one of those asc's as well. can't wait! i just hope delivery time isn't as long as the recent decal order i made :(

arch2b
2005.02.26, 08:05 PM
i started an album (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album585) for this project :D

fast4buy
2005.02.27, 12:19 PM
chris told me the revell bodies fit the best sort of. your never really sure with broken english. he's good about replying to emails though.

anway, i paid for my kit today :D it's coming with the razor wheel in lue of the diablo style. i'm waiting to get an email confirmation regarding payment and eta for shipping.

Good decision Arch you won't regret it. The Razor wheels at hot! I look forward to your exemplary documentation of the build.

arch2b
2005.02.27, 06:00 PM
fast- what servo did you use?

i am looking at the gws pico + f bb (http://www.toddsmodels.com/Servos/gwsservo.htm). this seems to be about $14-15 which is affordable. i noticed ikinari has something on servo speedup, what is that about? is it necessary?

ruknd@aol.com
2005.02.27, 09:18 PM
I went to the WRAM show saturday and there were lots of micro servos out there...the HiTech at $22 still seemed to be the best

arch2b
2005.02.28, 05:44 AM
i'm looking for suggestions on servos' ;) it would be nice to get model numbers atleast.

thanks for the reply rukn. what type was it? from my short reading, peoplel seem to complain about hitech servo's....

i have about 3 weeks tops to find one :cool:

madf1man
2005.02.28, 09:38 AM
i'm looking for suggestions on servos' ;) it would be nice to get model numbers atleast.

thanks for the reply rukn. what type was it? from my short reading, peoplel seem to complain about hitech servo's....

i have about 3 weeks tops to find one :cool:

Not sure if it,ll help but ck this out
http://www.kopropo.com/servos.htm

arch2b
2005.02.28, 09:56 AM
it looks like the ko propo ps401 (http://rushrc.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/32_306/products_id/6740) is the smallest one and 4.8-6v. it's nearly twice the price of the gws servo though.... is there that much of a difference?

ruf
2005.02.28, 10:05 AM
In terms of micro servos, I've used the GWS Pico, Hitec HS50, HS55, HS81, HS85, and Futaba S3103. The GWS has a much higher gear ratio and very hard (but brittle) gears. They are reasonably effective though. The Hitecs seem to have pot problems or burn out. The Futaba is the best servo in the micro servo class imo, but it is a little bit bulkier. I might use Hitec just out of availability, but be prepared to replace it.

Unfortunately KO does not make micro servos. Micro servos are intended primarily for microflight use and KO is pretty much strictly surface. The PS401 is a standard size servo and would be ridiculous on any mini or micro chassis. The PDS-947 is the smallest servo that they make and also my FAVORITE 1/12 servo. I have not tried the new PDS-949, but I would expect the same performance. Both of these servos are complete overkill for this scale and probably too big anyways. They run about $90-110, react faster than you can think, and have more torque than most standard servos. I still have one sitting in my pit box just in case I ever get the itch again. Also have a JR3550 which is a decent 1/12 servo in and of itself, but not as brutally fast as the PDS-947. Package is a little different in that the case is shorter, but wider.

arch2b
2005.02.28, 10:15 AM
thanks for teh feedback. i'll search for futaba options during lunch. i've only bought 1 servo for my tttt project before and it was a gws pico so i hardly ahve any experience with these at all.

arch2b
2005.03.04, 10:18 PM
update.....

paypal euo conversion cleared or whatever that means the mar 2nd :mad: i paid feb 25th...
chris emailed me to tell me as soon as the transaction cleared he would mail the package. he warned shipping would be anywhere from 1-3 weeks :eek: i can get stuff from bithed in tokyo faster than that :rolleyes:

so... i have a week or two to shop for the micro servo. i still haven't come across the perfect one. it's all a bit overwhelming for someone new to micro electronics components :o when your sifting thru futaba, hitech, gws, etc. etc.

ruknd@aol.com
2005.03.05, 04:57 PM
i went to an RC show last weekend and there was a company called FMA direct that had some nice looking metal geared servos.... https://www.fmadirect.com/site/fma.htm?body=Products&cat=8

I bought the little plance they have...but crashed it hard after about a half hour :p

arch2b
2005.03.05, 09:14 PM
looks interesting. thanks for the link.

ruknd@aol.com
2005.03.05, 09:16 PM
they seemed like a good value....i may try one too

HammerZ
2005.03.05, 10:02 PM
i can get stuff from bithed in tokyo faster than that :rolleyes:

;) I know what you mean there.

fast4buy
2005.03.06, 11:08 AM
update.....

paypal euo conversion cleared or whatever that means the mar 2nd :mad: i paid feb 25th...
chris emailed me to tell me as soon as the transaction cleared he would mail the package. he warned shipping would be anywhere from 1-3 weeks :eek: i can get stuff from bithed in tokyo faster than that :rolleyes:

so... i have a week or two to shop for the micro servo. i still haven't come across the perfect one. it's all a bit overwhelming for someone new to micro electronics components :o when your sifting thru futaba, hitech, gws, etc. etc.

Arch, took a while to get back to you but here (http://home.t-online.de/home/tfeuchter/Tipps/servomas.html) is a link with a list of possible candidates. "Gewicht" is weight and "Abmessungen" are the dimensions. I chose originally the Graupner C1041 but replaced it with a slightly longer Hitec model (cant read the name right now , too much doiuble sided tape) when it gave up the ghost. For the carpoet racer its the opposite of what women think: size is important but the shorter and thinner the better better :). Hope the postman arives soon.

Cheers

arch2b
2005.03.06, 11:13 AM
thanks for the reply.

i believe Graupner are JR here. the more i look at the FMA one the better is seems with metal gears and all. i have not yet made a matrix comparing all several candidates with size and weight numbers. when i do i'll post it here. i'll have to get it done in the next week or so though so i can have time for replies and purchase by the time the crt arrives.

do you know if chris ever reads forum topics regarding his products? he's a nice guy and obviously skilled at what he does.

arch2b
2005.03.06, 03:01 PM
FMA Direct (https://www.fmadirect.com/site/Detail.htm?item=1900&section=8)
Premiere Series Sub Micro Metal Gear Servo
Metal Gear
Part Number: PS10MG
Size: .75x.61x.30 (LxHxW)
Weight: .16 oz
+4.8V Specs
Torque (in./oz.) 12.50
Transit (sec.) 00.10
Approx. Price $25.00

GWS (http://www.gws.com.tw/english/product/servo/servo.htm)
Pico F + BB
Size: 22.8x9.5x19.8
0.90x0.37x0.78
Weight: 0.22 oz
+4.8V Specs
Torque (in./oz.) 11
Transit (sec.) 0.12
Approx. Price $15.00

Hitech (http://www.hitecrcd.com/product_fs.htm)
Hitec HS-56HB
33056S
33056J
Size: .9"x .5"x .9"
23 x 12 x 24mm
Weight: 0.37 oz.
+4.8V Specs
Torque (in./oz.) 14
Transit (sec.) 0.12
Approx. Price $28.00

ruknd@aol.com
2005.03.06, 09:24 PM
fma seems to be the smallest fastest lightest and has the most torque...

arch2b
2005.03.07, 01:43 PM
i received 2 of the 3 revell bodies i won on ebay. i'll post pictures tonight hopefully. all i can say now is they are very cool! smaller than a z but no too small to appear bit charg like if you know what i mean

arch2b
2005.03.07, 09:32 PM
ok, uploaded pictures (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album585?page=2) of the clk and opel kits as well as comparisons shots of the 1:32 and 1:28 vodafone clk.

arch2b
2005.03.07, 09:43 PM
here is a great servo chart (http://www.fatlion.com/sailplanes/servochart.html) TNB hooked me up with

fast4buy
2005.03.08, 04:27 PM
thanks for the reply.

do you know if chris ever reads forum topics regarding his products? he's a nice guy and obviously skilled at what he does.

Yep Chris is a nicr guy with a nice product. I dont know about his forum reading circle. He seems to have enough to do though. If you are reading this Chris Hi!

I used to send him the odd forum link where his products were being discusssed as a way to show my enthusiasm and promote the CRT a bit. Many of the German Mini Z Racers are pretty price oriented and many have bought the German made WWS 1:32 mid motor model instead as it is a bit cheaper. That is not to say better cos I am not aware of any meeting where the CRT & WWS models have gone against each other in anger the WWS gus have gone quiet after the initial enthusiasm and I suspect a bit of dust is being gathered. The hardest thing about having a CRT is finding other models of similar performance to race against
Have fun
Cheers

arch2b
2005.03.09, 09:44 PM
i started putting together 2 of the bodies (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album585?page=3) while waiting for the crt to arrive from germany. i'll be taking them apart and gluing the peices to make them stronger when the crt arrive but i just couldn't resist doing somethign with them :p

ruknd@aol.com
2005.03.10, 08:51 AM
say arch ahve you looked at intrepid rc .com they carry the crt as well as bodies and replacement parts. If you dont mind me asking how do their prices on teh kit compare to Germany?

arch2b
2005.03.10, 09:08 AM
the way chris explained it to me was he was reluctant to provide the ktis for resale as the production costs are soo high it makes it very difficult for reslae pricing. apparently he has long standing ties with intrepid and they have been selling it since the begining so it continues. the prices from both sites are virtually the same. chris tends to do slaes more via email however where as intrepid in more of an online shop. i debated buying from them but i decided to go with the source so to speak. chris has been very helpful despite the language differences and i would easily reccomend purchasing from him. naturally more business type sales receipts and shipping notices would be nice considering the distances but that's the choice i made.

i buy the same revell bodies here from ebay. you can find them for less than $10 alot of the times. i currently have 1 of the clks, 1 of the opels and just won 1 of the audi's. i am eagerly awaiting the release of the ferrari 360 soon.

other manufacturer's are very hard to find for decent prices. for example, the fly yokohama m3 gtr i want is rarley sold on ebay for less than $40 something which is obviously more than i will spend on a 1:32 body.

akura2
2005.03.10, 02:30 PM
Hi everyone... I'm not new here but I'm new to this thread.... i bought a CRT from Jeff at Intrepid about 8 months ago and he shippid it w/in the week...and I also have all of the Revell-monogram kits... as they came in I couln't help but put them together myself... now I have a bunch of tiny built touring cars lining my shelves... except one which is the Vodaphone Mercedes..(I had two)... my car has been togetherfor months but I think I burnt out my MR-02 PCB trying to do the servo mod (putting a "real" servo on it).. I'm going to take apart my iWaver since they are cheap and get the PCB out of that one.... if anyone who's done the mod succesfully would like to try it for me.. I'll pay :D... I was initially tring to do it for a TTTT project... but like I said that PCB is not working now..... the slot car chassis on the CRT website is bonkers!..that thing is so cool!... I went to the Carrera slot wesite..and I like te old muscle cars (66 GTO, Chargers, Camaro etc.) those would be cool... the guys in Europe have it so easy... they can get tiny tiny 40mhz Rx's for surface and put them in their little cars and TTTT trucks.... while the small stuff is only for airplanes here...sucks.... well enough ear-chewing.... I read the entire thread and this was the only way to get myself up to speed...LOL

BTW .. I use an HS55 servo... fits fine... I have some smaller Cirrus servos that I got from H obby P eople but I can't remember what they are right now.. (i'm at work)

warfile
2005.03.12, 03:37 PM
After reading this thread yesterday i emailed CRT for info on this r/c car(still no reply).I have 3 1:32 SCX cars that i can use. how does the body fits in the car?
What mods are necessary to put them on?

pic#1 (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/Warfile/DSC01262)
pic#2 (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/Warfile/DSC01263)
pic#3 (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/Warfile/DSC01264)

arch2b
2005.03.12, 08:39 PM
i always get a reply from chris within about 24-48 hours.

maybe someone here can answer your question but if you don't receive an anser from chris soon, email him again.

or, maybe somone could forward this thread to chris and ask him to join the conversation ;)

warfile
2005.03.12, 11:39 PM
Thanks arch2b! I will mail him again tomorrow and send the thread link to!
Do you know how to put the bodies on? What kind of mods are necessary?
What servo and battery will you use?

arch2b
2005.03.13, 04:06 PM
i had to go to hobbytown to get some paint and while i was ther ei just couldn't resist picking up a servo (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album585/IMG_0670). i was told it had very dtrong gears and bb's.

i aosl found some cells i had bought for my future pro-z. since i'll have the crt before the pro-z i might as well use them for this. they are li poly cells (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album585/IMG_0699) i bought from ph2t. i don't recall the v rating offhand but 2 was enough for 7 or so volts i think. i'm going to have to go to atomic mods or somethign to pick up a charger. i had wanted to use 4 aaa's but i don't think there will be room for the cell holders as i don't want to mess with cell pack nor have the equipment to do so. the li poly chargers i've seen are very small and easily portable.

warfile
2005.03.13, 09:32 PM
That servo fit's the crt? if so i'll buy one to!
What do you intent to do in your crt, the ikinari mod?

arch2b
2005.03.13, 10:02 PM
i don't know.... i'll find out as soon as my crt arrives :o

yes, i plan on doing the ikinari mini-z pcb mod

arch2b
2005.03.13, 10:06 PM
oh, btw i painted the headlight lens's (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album585/IMG_0760) with clear tamiya paint. it looks great on the opel!!! i also painted the rear tail light lens's (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album585/IMG_0761) as well

ruknd@aol.com
2005.03.13, 11:10 PM
oh, btw i painted the headlight lens's (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album585/IMG_0760) with clear tamiya paint. it looks great on the opel!!! i also painted the rear tail light lens's (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album585/IMG_0761) as well
nice touch...the body looks too pretty to run :p

warfile
2005.03.14, 03:07 AM
It looks really nice! ;)
Must get one of this bodies to!

arch2b
2005.03.14, 12:10 PM
thanks. it's all in the details ;)

i'm waiting for some of the new ralley cars and the ferrari 360 to come out :p those should be nice as well

warfile
2005.03.14, 03:30 PM
arch2b,
I mail crt again today and still have no answer?! :confused:
Could you try mail him for me?

arch2b
2005.03.14, 03:36 PM
arch2b,
I mail crt again today and still have no answer?! :confused:
Could you try mail him for me?
i emailed chris. we'll see what happens :p it usually takes a day to get a reply...

warfile
2005.03.14, 04:06 PM
thanks arch2b, can't wait to have it!! :D

akura2
2005.03.15, 06:54 AM
I was going to do the PCB mod.. but i think I blew up my Mini-z PCB trying to attach the servo..... I'm going to go with the GWS Rx/Robotronic ESC setup instead.... I have a couple of 2-cell 730mah Lipos that I'm going to use with it as well

arch2b
2005.03.15, 08:55 AM
I was going to do the PCB mod.. but i think I blew up my Mini-z PCB trying to attach the servo..... I'm going to go with the GWS Rx/Robotronic ESC setup instead.... I have a couple of 2-cell 730mah Lipos that I'm going to use with it as well
what would cause the servo mod to fry the pcb?

arch2b
2005.03.15, 09:05 AM
CRT was hipped last week... so i'm guessing within about another week i should have it unless it takes the max time

warfile
2005.03.15, 10:11 AM
what micro servo should i buy?HS-50, HS55, HS56?
will mini-t servo fits in the crt?

ruknd@aol.com
2005.03.15, 10:13 AM
teh mini t servo is garbage and needs the mini t electronics to power it...

arch2b
2005.03.15, 10:17 AM
what micro servo should i buy?HS-50, HS55, HS56?
will mini-t servo fits in the crt?
i posted a large list of potential choices. there are not too many of the CRT's out there (yet). that is why it's soo important (and i appreciate) those that do have them continue to contribute here.

do your research before you buy... it sucks buying something only to find it won't work and i took a gamble on the HS56.

ruknd@aol.com
2005.03.15, 10:27 AM
i have issues with hitec's reliability but their customer service makes up for it....I was inpressed with FMA the the recent RC show in westchester...they are cheap but were much cheaper at the show...kickign myself for not picking one up

arch2b
2005.03.15, 10:30 AM
i'm kicking you for not picking up one for me :p (j/k)

i was going to go with them... damn spur of the moment shopping :rolleyes:

ruknd@aol.com
2005.03.15, 10:33 AM
haha..I did pick up a mini plane from them...it worked for about 15 minutes till it met the garage door a few too many times

warfile
2005.03.15, 11:21 AM
arch2b, did cris answer your mail?
I'm starting to be happy with this project, just bought this 2 revell easy kits for the crt!

Peugeot 307 (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album593/23_1_b)
Xsara (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album593/99_1_b)

warfile
2005.03.15, 12:10 PM
How do i do the mod on to the revell easy kit to fit the crt chassis?

arch2b
2005.03.15, 12:11 PM
where did you find those :eek: ? i'm trying to buy one of each of the revell kits (body types) :p i have not seen those anywhere over here :( i just got the audi in the mail last night :cool: i'll put it together and take some pictures tonight. so far the opel is my favorite.
btw, there are more ralley cars/trucks and even 2 ferrari 360's being released this year.

chris did email me and said he was going to check the links i included in my email (to this thread) so hopefully he can pop in and answer. if he doesn't, i'll email him again with the question regarding scx bodies.
chris did tell me the 307 was a bit narrow at the rear wheels and that the xsara fit better.

arch2b
2005.03.15, 12:12 PM
How do i do the mod on to the revell easy kit to fit the crt chassis?
maybe someone can aswer but as of right now, i have no idea how they are attached other than what looks like a body post in the front?

warfile
2005.03.15, 12:24 PM
You can find the 307 here (http://cgi.*******om/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9152&item=3782206838&rd=1), the subaru here (http://cgi.*******om/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3769961992&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcN__Stores) and the xsara here (http://cgi.*******om/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3777597208&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcN__Stores), hope this helps.
Did you bought your crt through paypal from the crt site? I can't wait to have one. :p

arch2b
2005.03.15, 12:50 PM
ahh... figures the euopean, etc, ebay guys would have them so early. i pay about $10 plus shipping here so buying from that guy/shop would cost me alot more. i guess i'll just have to wait :(

i bought my CRT from chris's website (http://www.crt-remote.com/en/frames.htm), not intrepid rc (http://www.intrepidrc.com/CRT.html) via paypal.

btw, i buy my revell kits from Trackside Hobbies and Toys (ebay store) on ebay.

akura2
2005.03.15, 07:12 PM
i bought my Revell cars from Jeff at Intrepid..

BTW Arch.. I think I messed up my PCB while soldering.. maybe sending too much heat down the wires to the board while I was soldering the servo wires... I've never had a soldering error.. but now I can't say never...:D

arch2b
2005.03.15, 08:59 PM
i finally got my audi (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/view_album.php?page=6)! the opel is still my favorite so far

warfile
2005.03.16, 09:45 AM
The audi is very beautiful! :) I didn't resist and had to buy one and bought the yellow astra also! :D
Didn't receive any answer from cris.... :confused:

opel (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album593/opel1.jpg)
audi (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album593/audi5.jpg)

arch2b
2005.03.16, 10:11 AM
the yellow opel is very nice as well!

i'll email chris again... he told me in the previous email he had been away on a business trip. i'm sure it's not easy trying to get to emails with the distance and language barriers.

pelase post pictures of the 307 and citroen when you have them built ;) hopefully we will have those in the states soon

my hope now is to turn my CRT album and this thread into an faq of sorts as well as documentary on "how to do's". there is very little information out there regarding these so it's up to us to build a useful collection of information.

i wish ikinari could pop in more but he has his entire site to keep up with :p

warfile
2005.03.16, 10:33 AM
Thanks, i'll be waiting for him to contact me.

I should receive the 307 and Xsara sometime next week. I'll post pictures soon as i built them.

I agree with you, this thread should be the tech info for this little devil's!

About ikinari's mod, how does he make the rear suspension? Is it from another car that he modified or he built it from scratch?

I look at the intrepid site and they say that the hitec hs-50 is a good choice! I really don't know what to buy!....

You 'll be using li-poly's?

arch2b
2005.03.16, 10:50 AM
i believe ikinari made his suspension from scratch.

i would take intrepids recomendation for the hs-50 as a guide for the right size servo adn try to find one with bb and strong gears as the car will not have a servo saver.

i am undecided about what battery setup i will end up using. i have the li poly's from ph2t and lots of aaa's. i would like to atleast try to make a aaa holder for the chassis so i do not have to make a battery pack. the holders themselves are dirt cheap so it's just a matter of hacking a few up to see if i can get one to fit. whatever i do i'll have the picture documentation to go along with my efforts

JimmyStunt
2005.03.16, 02:52 PM
Hi everybody!

Here is a small teaser for you all ;)
Motor pod and wheels comes from 1:32 Mini Carper Racer but everything else is different. It is based on my design. I will post more images as soon as I get some more done.

-JimmyStunt-

arch2b
2005.03.16, 03:17 PM
very interesting!

how do you change the wheelbase and or track width? will you have these kits for resale?

ruf
2005.03.16, 03:27 PM
What are the handling effects of the leading front axle?

warfile
2005.03.16, 03:53 PM
Very nice!

When can we see more about it?

JimmyStunt
2005.03.16, 03:56 PM
very interesting!

how do you change the wheelbase and or track width? will you have these kits for resale?

Thanks!

The wheelbase adjustment can be done (similar to crt) but no track width. I forgot to mention that the electronics are from Mini-z and the servo is Cirrus micro servo. It´s very small! Since I´m still building the car I have no experience how it behaves. But I think it should be great. Totally we have three cars coming up with my friends.

If it turns out to be great we might consider to make some limited quantity of chassis for resale.

-JimmyStunt-

ruf
2005.03.16, 04:18 PM
Keep in mind that with the leading front axle, you will counteract all of the centering properties of caster. The car will naturally want to toe out. You will maintain caster-induced camber and steering jacking.

JimmyStunt
2005.03.16, 04:30 PM
Keep in mind that with the leading front axle, you will counteract all of the centering properties of caster. The car will naturally want to toe out. You will maintain caster-induced camber and steering jacking.

Thanks for the info! The knuckles can be reversed. Anyway...still a lot of things to do.

ruf
2005.03.16, 04:57 PM
I would DEFINITELY flip the knuckles back the way that they were if you have the space. If you are machining them yourself, you can always make the knuckle arm forward, while leaving the stub axle behind the kingpin axis. I'd be interested in seeing how this thing handles in this form. Should be twitchy... :D

arch2b
2005.03.16, 10:10 PM
my CRT arrived today :D

sadly i will not have time to play around with it till the weekend BUT i did take a bunch of pictures for everyone to (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album585?page=6) see :p

i can't wait to get this on my track and time it with my core timing system. i hope i can fit the transponder inside :eek:

warfile
2005.03.16, 10:31 PM
Congrats arch2b on your crt!

Can't wait to have mine but still no answer from cris!? :(

What is the core timing system?

turtle@mini-z
2005.03.17, 03:09 AM
Here's a photo of mine. Not quite ready yet, but very close.

:p

turtle@mini-z
2005.03.17, 05:04 AM
Here's another 'pretty' teaser photo.

Forgot to mention that my Saxo stands on custom chassis, identical to the one used in JimmyStunt's car..

arch2b
2005.03.17, 05:38 AM
Congrats arch2b on your crt!

Can't wait to have mine but still no answer from cris!? :(

What is the core timing system?
remember, you can alwasy buy it thru intrepid rc (http://www.intrepidrc.com/CRT.html)

turtle- beautiful pictures

warfile
2005.03.17, 06:23 AM
I know that arch2b but it's the same situation that you have with the easy kits from europe, it will cost me alot more buying from a US store due to customs taxes! :mad:

arch2b
2005.03.17, 07:58 AM
honestly, i thought it was another german site :o i never checked the contact info.

ygm ;)

warfile
2005.03.17, 08:15 AM
arch2b,

ygm!

arch2b
2005.03.17, 08:43 AM
arch2b,

ygm!
email sent.

btw, you were using this email address correct (Christian.Uitz@crt-remote.com)?

are fly products (http://www.flycarmodel.com/) any cheaper where you are? i have been looking all over for an affordable fly yokohama bmw m3 gtr. they are way to expensive here for me.

warfile
2005.03.17, 09:52 PM
Thanks arch2b, and yes i used this address.

Here this car costs about 50 or 60 dollars!

Question: Ikinari uses the deans plugs on is mod, right?

arch2b
2005.03.17, 09:56 PM
it looks like a set of the deans micro plugs

warfile
2005.03.18, 10:32 AM
Have you have any news from cris?

Where can i find those deans plugs?

Have you started to built your crt?
Regards

fast4buy
2005.03.18, 11:16 AM
i believe ikinari made his suspension from scratch.

i am undecided about what battery setup i will end up using. i have the li poly's from ph2t and lots of aaa's. i would like to atleast try to make a aaa holder for the chassis so i do not have to make a battery pack. the holders themselves are dirt cheap so it's just a matter of hacking a few up to see if i can get one to fit. whatever i do i'll have the picture documentation to go along with my efforts

Arch
The topic of battery holders (for a Pro-Z) came up recently this side of the pond and someone suggested cutting down the battery box from an old (or a new) F1 chassis. This would be a lot more stable than a softer plastic holder from an electronics store for example and has proven to allow good performance.

I tried cutting down one of the softer plastic holders for my MCR but the resistance was rather high and the power which I could get out of the battery dropped significantly compared to a conventional battery pack.

You could probably add some shims to the upper deck to make a bit more space for the pack. A long as the CoG does not suffer too much a pack should work ok.

Nice to see other alternatives to the MCR and WWS The front end looks good.

Cheers

arch2b
2005.03.18, 09:53 PM
thanks for the tip regarding battery trays.

no reply from chris yet.

most rc shops carry micro deans plugs.

i'll start building my CRT sat.

i believe i made my first mistake :( i was reading the box for the hs-56 servo and it operates at 6V. am i going to have to return this for the hs-50 that operates at 4.8V? or will it still work with 4 aaa's? i feel rather foolish for not checking when i purhcased it :rolleyes:

also, wich wires on the mini-z pcb for the servo are the signal, positive and neagtive? i've attached a word doc containing various charts for various servo's and their wiring. i just want to make sure i get it right ;)

arch2b
2005.03.19, 12:58 PM
so.. i was reading the hitech site chart and it lists performance stats for both 4.8v and 6v. even at 4.8v it still out performs the hs-50. it's just alot heavier.

ok, started the build today and ran into a snag.... i am trying to get the rear cf bar with the 2 ball cup screws (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album585/IMG_0855) installed and it's not fitting right so i'm asking those with a the crt to please post some pictures ASAP.

i'm taking some nice clear pictures that i think should supplement the actual instructions because let's face it, pictures are worth a 1k words. flat plan drawings are not the best way to instruct to build this thing either. isometric drawings would have been much better.

turtle@mini-z
2005.03.19, 02:58 PM
ok, started the build today and ran into a snag.... i am trying to get the rear cf bar with the 2 ball cup screws (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album585/IMG_0855) installed and it's not fitting right so i'm asking those with a the crt to please post some pictures ASAP..

Seems like you just have it the wrong way around.. just rotate it 180 degrees and it will work --> this way the ball cup screws will be positioned at the same distance from the center of the chassis.

HammerZ
2005.03.19, 03:12 PM
If anything the chassis plate look's backwards. I backed up two pics to look at the drawing. The motor output shaft needs room for the gears. Looking at the pic the axle would set the rear tire in that gear side out of the body.

arch2b
2005.03.19, 04:39 PM
DOH!

i had the chassis plate reversed. waht an idiot....

ok, next problem.... if you look at the manaul (http://www.crt-remote.com/at/rcbasis_files/Anleitung%201_32.pdf), where is showes the peices to build the rear axel.... is the rear of the wheel supossed to sit right against the spur gear? the directions only show one washer on each side of the spur gear however i had to use 2 (came with 4) on teh wheel side just to keep the inner washer flush with the spur gear and balls.

with it setup this way, when you hold the spur gear and turn the axel the wheel should spin the opposite direction as it would on a mini-z however since the wheel is pressed against the spur gear it simply spins with the axel. i tried using one of the smaller washers inbetween the 2 larger washers on the wheel side which pulled the wheel off the spur gear but the smaller washer is a horrible fit and it causes the spur gear to wobble. the good thing though is if you again hold the spur gear and turn the axel, the wheel spins the opposite direction. so, te big question is, what did you guys who have this do?

arch2b
2005.03.19, 09:25 PM
i had to call it quits after a few hours... time to spend some of the day with the kids :p
i've uploaded more pictures (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album585?page=8)

i'm still waiting on some first hand rear diff help before i do any more assemb;ey on the rear end. i may work on the cpb/servo mod sun. if i can find the time.

turtle@mini-z
2005.03.20, 12:52 AM
..i'm still waiting on some first hand rear diff help before i do any more assemb;ey on the rear end. i may work on the cpb/servo mod sun. if i can find the time.

The rear diff is a mess. :p... The pictures on the 'manual' are kind of bad/misleading.. When I first assembled mine I put the spur gear on the axle "backwards".

The best picture on the manual is the one on page 3/4 (Abb. 6), where you actually see the diff assembled. Don't use any extra washers. The 'hollow' side of the spur gear should be towards the motor. Once you get it right ,the diff will work fine, but the spur gear will be a little 'wobbly'. (this is normal according to Chris)

HammerZ
2005.03.20, 04:57 AM
Yea, the spur being wobbly is a good thing. That means the balls are against the plates. I noticed that too, on the next page how the gear flipped around. Maybe a few huccups in the manual that need to be revised.

I am getting into wanting to see this thing going soon.

arch2b
2005.03.20, 08:10 AM
thanks for the tip. i'll try to fix that tonight.

i'm trying to get assembly pictures so other's should have a much easier time than myself.

turtle@mini-z
2005.03.20, 02:43 PM
Here's a pic of what my 1/32 currently looks like from the inside.. Have to say that this proto chassis kit we designed seems really good so far.

Like JimmyStunt mentioned we are considering making a small quantity for resale later... just have to see what would be the best solution.. a CRT conversion kit, a CRT v. 2.0 :D or a whole new 1/32 car, maybe RTR... time will tell... (We're putting up a project website soon.)

arch2b
2005.03.20, 03:21 PM
man, i was going to use the z springs on teh front knuckles and post it... you beat me to it :p i was going to file/drill out the threads on the knuckles.

please email me when you have any proto kits available. i am now a huge fan of this scale and would do my best to promote it, regardless of chassis manufacturer.

i like your rear suspension alot but i think ikinari's friction damper would be the best way to go.

akura2
2005.03.20, 08:32 PM
Hi everybody!

Here is a small teaser for you all ;)
Motor pod and wheels comes from 1:32 Mini Carper Racer but everything else is different. It is based on my design. I will post more images as soon as I get some more done.

-JimmyStunt-

I would like to see a wiring diagram and instructions on how you attached that servo to the four mini-z wires... I looked inside the Cirrus 4.4 and it didn't have te conventional circuit board and motor layout of other servos I tried...

Help

akura2
2005.03.20, 08:35 PM
Thanks!
I forgot to mention that the electronics are from Mini-z and the servo is Cirrus micro servo.
-JimmyStunt-

You need to do a photo tutorial on how to do the servo/PCB mod with the Cirrus4.4...:D

arch2b
2005.03.20, 08:40 PM
i need help with that as well.

what i understand...
-4 wires on both the servo and mini-z
-determine which are the + and - servo motor wires and swap with mini-z servo wires
-determine which are the signal and + wires for the servo pot and swap them with the mini-z pot wires

the problems arise when you don't know which is which on the mini-z pot. there are countless charts for most of the servo's. what i've done is made some assumptions...
-one wire is soldered to 2 point on the pot, thus it would seem logical that no matter what color the wire is, you would simply swap those wire with each other.

then you have the servo motor.... i believe the charts list which colors are what so you simply swap the appropriate wires.

i know it all sopunds so easy but when you have all those tiny things in front of you it seems much harder.

when you have it all done and it's backwards you obviously have to swap wires on the pot. because it will either work fowards or reverse from the the mini-z setup. now i just have to get around to doing it myself. i'm hoping to do this all this week.

hte next thing will be resolving the battery problems. not alot of room under the opel body

akura2
2005.03.20, 08:40 PM
Hey Arch... I see in your photos that you were doing some tinkering with batteries

Just to let you know.... 2cell lipo 340Mah fits perfectly 7.4v

arch2b
2005.03.20, 08:43 PM
care to post pictures? how about where to find them? what charger? i want to use something easy to charge and if i have to buy more stuff to keep it as cheap as possible. the kit alone put a HUGE dent in my hobby budget for hte next couple months.

i have some 800mah li ion cells (well, you've seen them) but they are a tad too big for the opel. i was thinking one of the atomic mods chargers would work maybe? they look nice, small and not too expensive

arch2b
2005.03.20, 09:01 PM
i took the axel apart and turned the spur gear around... the hollow side toward the motor and it works perfectly now. god i love these forums :p

side note... i'mout of town this week and brought the CRT with me but left 2 tires at home :eek: again, what an idiot...

arch2b
2005.03.20, 09:33 PM
i was looking here (http://www.atomicmods.com/Mini-Z_MR02.htm) anbd this seems like a very viable option. any thoughts? coupled with this charger (http://www.atomicmods.com/chargers.htm)...

i emailed rob to get his opinions on the matter. we'll see if i get a reply.

arch2b
2005.03.21, 08:38 AM
Have you have any news from cris?...
i got a reply from chis however i think the language barrier is causing some problems as i think he misunderstood what i was asking. he seems to think i was asking him to contact the forums for purchases instead of a member. i wish someone spoke german could help us out here :rolleyes:

Battery problem update...
the atomic mods mr-02 setup runs at 8.4v which i am told the mr-02 pcb will handle without problems.

my question now is, will the 4.8-6v servo work or will this get fried? the atomic mods kit looks like a easy fit being about as thick as a AA but short as a AAA and i would only need to squeeze 2 cells instead of 4.

btw, i plan on running a stock motor for now and nothing more than an x-speed at best.

warfile
2005.03.21, 10:10 AM
Thanks arch2b, he contact me a couple hours ago.
Now i'm waiting for him to tell me how i order it and how to pay it! :p

Those chargers handle li-poly's? I was thinking to buy the thunder power 730mah li-poly that ikinari uses!

I will try the servo mod on a helicopter micro servo or in the futaba S3107.

I hope to have the chassis atleast next week! :p

arch2b
2005.03.21, 10:24 AM
i'm glad you got a response :p i replied to his last email stting that you were not a forum but a member who was interested in a purchase ;) i guess he understood that one better.

if the atomicmods setup works, it should prove very useful. i just need someone with some micro electronics expertise to tell me it's ok :p

please post any pictures of your CRT project to your member album if you have one and continue to post updates here if you like or in a new thread of your own ;) i really look forward to seeing someone else build theirs :cool:

warfile
2005.03.21, 11:04 AM
As soon as i have the parts to start to built it i'll post pictures in my crt album.

I should receive the xsara and the peugeot 307 this week(i hope!).

How do you going to do the rear suspension mod?

To handle the li-ion or li-poly's the pcb must be modified(fets)?

arch2b
2005.03.21, 11:25 AM
As soon as i have the parts to start to built it i'll post pictures in my crt album.

I should receive the xsara and the peugeot 307 this week(i hope!).

How do you going to do the rear suspension mod?

To handle the li-ion or li-poly's the pcb must be modified(fets)?
i look forward to seeing the citroen and 307!

rear suspension mod? are you referring to ikinari's rear friction damper? i don't have the part nor the skills to make such as well crafted modification. i have emailed ikinari about selling this or atleast providing the plans ubt i have not received a reply.

i believe the mr-02 and forward electonics are rated to 10v. i know the mr-01 were not. fets are not required, atleast rb assured me that the mr-02 pcb would handle the 8.4v li battery pack without modifcations. i'm more concerned about the servo at this point as it's rated between 4.8 and 6v's

fast4buy
2005.03.21, 02:31 PM
i got a reply from chis however i think the language barrier is causing some problems as i think he misunderstood what i was asking. he seems to think i was asking him to contact the forums for purchases instead of a member. i wish someone spoke german could help us out here :rolleyes:

btw, i plan on running a stock motor for now and nothing more than an x-speed at best.

Let me say how great it is to have others to chat to about the CRT I was a loner here for a year or so now with only RTFM and learning by doing to fall back on. I had no digital camera at the time of building hence no detailed build photos from me, sorry. Building the CRT is a rewarding challenge. I had the diff gear on backwards as well for quite a while as the assembly instructions seemed to indicate this, it still worked ok though It took me a while till I had the steering as good as I wanted it. Just need to convince some others here to get one. Mine is not perfect but still fun to drive. Ikinaris version is of course awesome. Im not worthy. :) The Version from JimmyStunt is worth a thought, especially the front end mods.

Arch the alloy part between the ball and cup joints is an Antenne „straw“ holder. I did not mount this and at the sugestions of Chris I fitted an internal antenne inside each body. This works well with my 40MHz FM radio but im not sure how it would go with Mini Z electronics. I started with the standard motor as well but soon moved to an x-speed and then an x-speed pro to be able to mix it with the best MR02s. The X-speed pro is fast but sucks the batteries fast.

I can help you with communicating with Chris in German. I m not German but live and work here and do any my communication with Chris in German. Let us know what you need.
Cheers

akura2
2005.03.21, 03:01 PM
care to post pictures? how about where to find them? what charger? i want to use something easy to charge and if i have to buy more stuff to keep it as cheap as possible. the kit alone put a HUGE dent in my hobby budget for hte next couple months.

I got the batteries from Hobby People ($22...http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/128732.asp)... the cells are the flat kind like Ikanari's but smaller (his are 730Mah)... so less mods need to be made... I'll post a pic tonight...

I've got a GWS 75mhz Rx.... and I have an extra Novak Spy that I can De-case to use in the meantime.... I also have one of those IPD racing ESC's just in case... they are TINY.. but they must run on 5 cells or more... or the equivalent.. so i can't use it with a standard 4-cell layout... must be LiPo

As far as the charger is concerned... I'm not too sure about that one... I have a $130 Triton... but I use it for my 1/10 scale cars, Helis, RC motorcycle, Planes, ETC. so the investment was worth it for me... plus it does 12v lead batteries for my starter box (nitro cars)

arch2b
2005.03.21, 03:06 PM
thank you very much for the offer to help fast4buy! :D i'm sure you will be called upon for help many times

i have to agree in that building the CRT is as much fun as i anticipate racing it will be. i can forever see myself tinkering with 1:32 scale :p

i do believe there are alot of things that could be tweaked or improved such as the front end but that is what makes this kit so nice, it seems rather easy to modify and the small number of parts makes it easy to come up with modifications.

i am hoping ikinari will sell his friction damper :cool: if not i wonder if christian would consider amking it for his tuning parts section ;) makybe you can suggest this fast4buy?

i would also like to see more wheel options as well. being a german product, you already have z-speed for example in production in germany which has some very cool wheel designs. this would be another good suggestion for christian.

arch2b
2005.03.21, 03:13 PM
i was thinking about drilling out the threads in the shaft holes in the knuckles and using mr-02 springs to create real suspension for the front end. either that or file the threads off the threaded rods at measured points between the bottom nut and top point of desired knuckle travel up the threaded rod. filing down the threads on the rod seems like a smarted solution as i wouldn't have to file them off comepletly, just enough to let the knuckle threads slip easily. that or replace the treaded rods completly with something else?

what are your guys' thoughts on this? it would seem like getting real suspension travel out of the front end would be a simple mod if the right idea where to be presented.

i see jimmy's already found a solution but i need to find somethign for what i have now....

arch2b
2005.03.22, 08:32 PM
fyi, here is a great deal on some bodies
Item number: 5964693360

arch2b
2005.03.22, 09:30 PM
ok, i was staring at the front end tonight and loking at the lack of front suspension (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album585/IMG_0904)....

what do you think of this idea... shave the threads off the axel rods from the bottom of the font knuckle to about 1/8" or so above the top of the knuckle and use the top deck and nuts to adjust the spring compression?

ruknd@aol.com
2005.03.22, 10:30 PM
wait till you see how it handles...and then try different springs first...

HammerZ
2005.03.22, 11:09 PM
I agree, run it stock to get a good baseline on how it handles. Sometimes having a front suspension will make the frontend pop up at speed. When I run my F40 outside I found it goes better with the front as stiff as I can make it. That keeps the nose on the ground better. It is better to mod later, than now and wish you didn't do it.

fast4buy
2005.03.23, 01:03 AM
As far as Chassis mods goes goes I have taken the position, trust the maker.
Chris races these himself and wants the best handling like us all so I have left the suspension as hard as it is. He has though mentioned on his web site an upcoming front suspension mod but this has in the meantime disappeared from the website I notice. On the other hand replacement steering parts dont cost t the earth so both options are possible. It is just a lot of hassle switching back and forth.

warfile
2005.03.23, 01:17 AM
I wonder, is this kit fits on the chassis?

Cobra (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album593/d5_1_b.jpg)

warfile
2005.03.23, 01:31 AM
Christian mail me yesterday asking me where i live to send me the final price of the car. I'm trying since them to email him but it gives me undelivered message!!! :confused: :(
Can you try and mail him for me?

I live in Porto, Portugal and will pay him through Paypal.

akura2
2005.03.23, 02:02 AM
To Arch2B and anyone else whose interested... here's my car with the battery... 340mah 2-cell lipo (7,4 volts), IPD ESC (about 1/4 the size of a cased Spy but no reverse so I may just de-case my Spy) and my GWS 75mhz Rx... the last pic is my DTM touring car crew... all the models that were supposed to end up being "bodies" and everytime one came in, I built it... then said "I have to order another for the CRT"... the silver Vodaphone Mercedes ended up being the one to get used

akura2
2005.03.23, 12:58 PM
Have you guys seen these?... Revell-Monogram has RC versions of their 1/32 scale Easy Kits... I haven't seen under the body yet... but they are trying to do what we all are trying to do... make a 1/32 scale RC using these bodies... now I'm sure they won't be as fast as the CRT but they might make for a cheaper, modifyable solution for those that want the size w/ out as much tinkering..

the kits come with two bodies (one of each livery), and are proportional with a 27 or 40mhz radio system

akura2
2005.03.23, 01:03 PM
Also... Horizon Hobby, here in the states carries and will be carrying the full line of Rexell-Monogram Easy Kits... the touring cars... the muscle cars... the rally cars.... for us to scavenge bodies from ........check it out

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Category.aspx?OverallCatID=PC&CatID=PCB&SearchType=Standard

ruknd@aol.com
2005.03.23, 01:09 PM
any details on the IPD such as specs and where to get and how much?

HammerZ
2005.03.23, 01:21 PM
Would those be on the http://www.revell-monogram.com/ website? I just checked, and all I seen are airplanes. I would love to see a full line of 1/32 snap kits again, those where everywhere when I was young.

akura2
2005.03.23, 01:24 PM
any details on the IPD such as specs and where to get and how much?

"Specs for the R-18 speed control:
Forward/Proportional brake
-Plug and Race setup
-Rated for continuous 18A and peak 22A
-Any micro motor up to speed 300 motor
-Input voltage 5 to 10 cells
-Dimensions 28x14x7mm
-Weight without leads 5 grams
-Internal resistance .0030 (ohms)
-Drive and brake frequency 1250 (Hz)
-B.E.C.
-Thermal protection
-Built in schottky diode
-Wire size 18(gauge) 441 strand pure copper super flex/silicone insulation"

http://www.ipdracing.com/home.htm
http://www.ipdracing.com/products.htm

akura2
2005.03.23, 01:28 PM
Would those be on the http://www.revell-monogram.com/ website? I just checked, and all I seen are airplanes.

Unfortunately no... the RC cars are out of Revell germany.... www.revell.de

but I've seen them on the 'bay's german site.... I'm sure we can harass Horizon to carry them as well as their Easy Kit line... or at least get Revell-monogram to import them over

HammerZ
2005.03.23, 01:46 PM
Did you see those TV ads, they need to run those here in the states.

ruknd@aol.com
2005.03.23, 01:49 PM
cool..I couldn't link up to the purchase part of their site but I shot them an e-mail. Thaks. Oh teh e-mail go bounced...I guess they are out of business...

turtle@mini-z
2005.03.23, 02:09 PM
...an option for the IPD esc, maybe..

Here's a foto of my receiver and esc, both made by Schulze.. a little pricy maybe, but very light & small.

Receiver: Schulze Alpha 440 (FM40 - 4 channels) - 36x19x7mm - 9 grams

ESC: race-06rek (proportional brake, reverse, 4-7 cells) - 20x16x6,5 - 5 grams

warfile
2005.03.23, 02:17 PM
Finally I order my CRT today! :D :) ;)

ruknd@aol.com
2005.03.23, 02:18 PM
...an option for the IPD esc, maybe..

Here's a foto of my receiver and esc, both made by Schulze.. a little pricy maybe, but very light & small.

Receiver: Schulze Alpha 440 (FM40 - 4 channels) - 36x19x7mm - 9 grams

ESC: race-06rek (proportional brake, reverse, 4-7 cells) - 20x16x6,5 - 5 grams
ohhh...thats the perfect size! any details? Do they do 75mhz FM for us stateside folks?

warfile
2005.03.23, 02:21 PM
Why don't you guys use the mini-z MR-02 PCB?

arch2b
2005.03.23, 02:21 PM
Have you guys seen these?... Revell-Monogram has RC versions of their 1/32 scale Easy Kits... I haven't seen under the body yet... but they are trying to do what we all are trying to do... make a 1/32 scale RC using these bodies... now I'm sure they won't be as fast as the CRT but they might make for a cheaper, modifyable solution for those that want the size w/ out as much tinkering..

the kits come with two bodies (one of each livery), and are proportional with a 27 or 40mhz radio system
yes, i've seen those. i can't explain it well but suffice to say there is a certain thrill you get from putting together something like the CRT rather than buying an rtr. this is my first "kit" rc and i love the idea of building/tweaking them.

ruknd@aol.com
2005.03.23, 02:22 PM
I dotn like it...for starters I want FM...and be able to run mod motors...and have servo options...and a more physically durable product

arch2b
2005.03.23, 02:27 PM
Also... Horizon Hobby, here in the states carries and will be carrying the full line of Rexell-Monogram Easy Kits... the touring cars... the muscle cars... the rally cars.... for us to scavenge bodies from ........check it out

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Category.aspx?OverallCatID=PC&CatID=PCB&SearchType=Standard
thanks for the link and news. i was not aware an american shop imported the revell.de easy kits. to bad the prices are so high :( i buy all mine from an ebay'er for less than $10 plus minimal shipping which puts them at about $4-5 cheaper shipped. if i wasn't so short on money i would easily buy from them though. currently i'm waiting for the guy to get the pugeot, citroen and subaru.

arch2b
2005.03.23, 02:29 PM
I dotn like it...for starters I want FM...and be able to run mod motors...and have servo options...and a more physically durable product
i agree. if i had the money to burn i would be buying component electronics. unfortunatley i have to work with what i have for the most part.

arch2b
2005.03.23, 02:31 PM
Finally I order my CRT today! :D :) ;)
congrats! I'm very happy this thread has gnerated so much interest!!!

ruknd@aol.com
2005.03.23, 02:46 PM
i agree. if i had the money to burn i would be buying component electronics. unfortunatley i have to work with what i have for the most part.
i dont have but one of each z (except a dead 01) so I don't ahve the salvage yard you do :p ...but its fun looking for the right electronics to stick in it :D .

warfile
2005.03.23, 02:49 PM
arch, did you make the servo mod?

about the batteries, what kind will be your choice?

turtle@mini-z
2005.03.23, 03:12 PM
ohhh...thats the perfect size! any details? Do they do 75mhz FM for us stateside folks?

Here's the link to Schulze website:

http://www.schulze-elektronik-gmbh.de/index_uk.htm

I don't think they have an FM75 receiver, but you could always ask for one to be made. :D

akura2
2005.03.23, 10:24 PM
cool..I couldn't link up to the purchase part of their site but I shot them an e-mail. Thaks. Oh teh e-mail go bounced...I guess they are out of business...

I think he's just re-structuring the site... I think you can call him... I'm not sure if the site has his number but his name is steve... and he hangs out at www.yourmicro.com a lot

arch2b
2005.03.23, 10:46 PM
i finally got to doing the servo mod only to find out i grabed an mr-01 pcb instead of an mr-02 :rolleyes: it ellya, i'm on a rool with this project.

btw, i made a tiny video of it all (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album585/pcb_servo_mod.wmv)

akura2
2005.03.24, 10:53 AM
i finally got to doing the servo mod only to find out i grabed an mr-01 pcb instead of an mr-02 :rolleyes: it ellya, i'm on a rool with this project.

btw, i made a tiny video of it all (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album585/pcb_servo_mod.wmv)

Thanks for the video... which wires did you jumper on the pot.... there are three connectors on the pot and two wires... looking at the pot the connectors are at 10 o'clock 12 o'clock and 2o'clock... how did you attach the wires?

Thanks arch

BTW... maybe with the LiPo batts you'll get more speed on the servo too... I'm glad you got it to work

I guess I'll have to spend another $80 for a PCB :(... unless I scavenge my F1 or one my MR01's... I have a NML converted MR01 as well but I'm DEFINATELY not touching that one

ALso.. I didn't know the HS56 was flat enough to put in the chassis

arch2b
2005.03.24, 12:33 PM
i tried to do the soldering the idiot proof way. i took pictures of the pcb pot and of the servo pot with the pins facing the same direction. i removed the wires from the pcb pot and simply soldered them to the servo pot in the exact same order. the trick was finding the positive wire for the servo motor so i could get the pcb positive line to the right spot and not have to worry about dealing with a backwards arrangement. i don't know if that would even pose a problem, i just wanted to get it right.

i'm going to have to take the pcb back off though as i have to use the mr-02 pcb as that will handle the 7 or so volts from the li cells where as the mr-01 tops out at 6v i think. if that's not the case, i'll leave it be. i'm pretty sure though that the 01 is 6v and the 02 is 10v. i'm going to have to save up a bit to get the li cells and charger though. the extra juice will hopefully get quicker respose time with the servo as you mentioned

the hs-56 slides right under the upper deck without any problems once i chopepd off the mounting flanges.

HammerZ
2005.03.24, 01:24 PM
A Frankinsteins creation, "It is Alive!!!!" . Hope to see a video of it scooting around the track soon.

arch2b
2005.03.24, 02:31 PM
i got carried away and bought a new case just for my CRT ;) :p what can i say, i'm a kid of the '80's :rolleyes: obvioulsy i won't be using the accessory portion.

i already have the foam to fill it up with too.

akura2
2005.03.25, 08:20 AM
i got carried away and bought a new case just for my CRT ;) :p what can i say, i'm a kid of the '80's :rolleyes: obvioulsy i won't be using the accessory portion.

i already have the foam to fill it up with too.

Now THAT's funny

well at least, now we know...and knowing is half the battle..... GI JOOOOOE

arch2b
2005.03.25, 08:33 AM
hehe, great tie in there.

btw, the last part is "gooooo joe" i believe :p
ygm too (akura2)

update,
swaped out pcb with an mr-02 pcb....

wiating for some cash to buy the li cell and charger. i just can't seem to squeeze 4 aaa's in under the opel body without making a battery pack.

question.... is i make a battery pack with 4 aaa's, can i rig a fake aaa cell wired as an adapter to fit in a standard aaa charger? so essentially the rayovak/energizer/ic3 charger could charge the pack by placing the adapter in one of the individual cell slots. will this actually work or will it blow them up or charge the pack unevenly? if i could possibly do this i could stack the cells unevenly and sho horn them in there.

i'm shooting for the li cells though as these would give me more v's to speed up the servo.

arch2b
2005.03.25, 09:18 AM
i have been reading up on teh revell rc's using the easy kit bodies... they look like they could be very interesting to modify. so far the prices on ebay have not been to bad, around $46 without shipping from EU. does anyone know where we can get these from within the US? shipping from the EU is very high and kills any price savings.

for the record, i still prefer the idea of the CRT over the revell rtr. an analogy would be the revell rtr/CRT = mini-z/pro-z.

akura2
2005.03.25, 09:53 AM
hehe, great tie in there.

btw, the last part is "gooooo joe" i believe :p
ygm too (akura2)

wiating for some cash to buy the li cell and charger. i just can't seem to squeeze 4 aaa's in under the opel body without making a battery pack.

i'm shooting for the li cells though as these would give me more v's to speed up the servo.

The charger is the hard part... if you get one that can charge different kinds of batteries then you'll really get your money's worth.... but they are expensive

after that.. the 2-cell 340's are like 20 bucks

HammerZ
2005.03.25, 04:24 PM
On those AAA holders can you trim and glue them into a 4 cell holder to make it tighter? Or is it a no go? From messing with Mini Z's, I love the separate cells on these things, and one of the things I don't like about the Pro Z. Most of my experiance with packs is sometimes you have one cell that isn't charged as well, with a pack is it seems that I see more of a "memory" effect because of it. Sometimes they charge good, and sometimes they don't. Li cells scare me.

arch2b
2005.03.25, 04:46 PM
there is no way to get the 2 2 cell holders in there under the opel body. not with the original rear upper deck design as it is. i could angle them possibly but that would eat space for rear suspension and pcb.

i too prefer indiv. cells over packs but i need more than 4.8 v to spee dthe servo up as well.

arch2b
2005.03.27, 11:26 AM
i spoke too soon...

i was able to place the 2 aaacell holders vertically almost back to back on teh chassis with the pcb and still get the body on. looks like this will have to do until i can get the cash to get the atomicmods setup. or, if anyone want's to trade an mr-01 pcb for it, email me ;)

i'm uploading pictures and video right now. i'll try to have the pictures edited as quickly as possible but it always takes soo much time. i may just have this on the track sooner than i though :D

warfile
2005.03.28, 11:41 PM
My xsara and 307 arrive today! Couldn't resist, already built the xsara! :D

pic (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album593/Dsc01496.jpg). there's more in my crt album.

I'll post pics of the 307 later today! ;)

Chris will send my crt today! :) ;) :D

arch2b
2005.03.29, 05:42 AM
i really like the citroen :D i can't wait till my guy here can get them. i hope your crt arrives quickly! i very much look forward to seeing it built.

i decided to yank the radio shack aaa holders out nad i'm going to use the cell holders from an xmod ;) they are a tad smaller and have batter clips to keep the batteies inplace

warfile
2005.03.29, 08:20 PM
The 307 is really awesome! I can't sleep, so i dicided to put it together!
So, here are some pictures! ;)

pic#1 (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album593/DSC01511.jpg)
pic#2 (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album593/DSC01513.jpg)
pic#3 (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album593/DSC01514.jpg)
pic#4 (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album593/DSC01515.jpg)
pic#5 (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album593/DSC01516.jpg)
pic#6 (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album593/DSC01519.jpg)
pic#7 (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album593/DSC01520.jpg)

arch2b
2005.03.29, 08:58 PM
very nice :D

i'm hoping i can resolder the battery holders this weekend

ruknd@aol.com
2005.03.30, 09:57 AM
you can mount them with the inside? Those are great bodies I love the detail

arch2b
2005.03.30, 10:00 AM
you can mount them with the inside? Those are great bodies I love the detail
YES, if your very careful with the placement of the electronics. see ikinari's CRT build as he was able to include the interior of the opel in his build. sadly i will not be able to do so with the standard 4 aaaa setup without creating some sort of battery pack which i'm trying to avoid.

warfile
2005.03.30, 01:04 PM
arch2b, the hs-56 fits well on the chassis?

Do you manage to speak with ikinari about the rear suspension mod?

arch2b
2005.03.30, 01:33 PM
the hs-56 does fit well. you just have to cut off all teh mounting flanges.

i emailed ikinari several times and have not received a reply :( i also emailed christian about the possiblity of him releasing a rear friction damper and he hasn't replied either.

arch2b
2005.03.31, 02:50 PM
the hs-56 does fit well. you just have to cut off all teh mounting flanges.

i emailed ikinari several times and have not received a reply :( i also emailed christian about the possiblity of him releasing a rear friction damper and he hasn't replied either.
maybe fast4buy can forward our question regarding a rear friction damper along to christian? i don't think ikinari checks the forums often :( maybe he didn't understand my emails either?

someone out there has to have the ability to manufacturer these?

ruknd@aol.com
2005.03.31, 03:08 PM
maybe the answer is modding a z damper?

warfile
2005.04.02, 02:52 PM
Still waiting for my crt to come! :rolleyes:

My friend Pedro bought the revell rc (audi tt) and i took the liberty to take some pictures (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album453) of it.
Most likely is to take off the electronics and try to put a mini-z pcb! :p

It's fun to see it run but its a little slow on turning and the speed.... too slow!

Btman
2005.04.02, 09:02 PM
Still waiting for my crt to come! :rolleyes:

My friend Pedro bought the revell rc (audi tt) and i took the liberty to take some pictures (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album453) of it.
Most likely is to take off the electronics and try to put a mini-z pcb! :p

It's fun to see it run but its a little slow on turning and the speed.... too slow!

Warfile, I have been waiting to see pics on the Revell cars. Could you also post a picture of the transmitter. Also, are the motor and gear ratios upgradeable?

akura2
2005.04.02, 09:25 PM
I ran my CRT today for the first time... I'm using a de-cased Spy, GWS micro Rx, HS55 servo, 2-cell 340mah LiPo... stock "Palmrunner X-Speed" motor.... it's pretty fast!!! but I'm at work and we have dusty cement floors... I bet if I can get this thing to hook up it'll be a rocket... I ran it w/o the body for testing and I still have to clean up the wires and put the antenna tube on it

mini-z racing
2005.04.02, 10:20 PM
akura2, looks nice, are you planning on getting a diffrent motor?

warfile
2005.04.03, 04:41 AM
Btman
Here are the pictures of the transmiter.
pic#1 (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album453/DSC01569.jpg)
pic#2 (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album453/DSC01570.jpg)
I look into the manual and there is no upgradeble parts!

akura2
Looks great, can't wait to have mine! Have you try it with the rubber tires from the easy kits?

HammerZ
2005.04.03, 06:42 AM
That TX look's to be a play off the Xmods controler.

arch2b
2005.04.03, 11:19 AM
i wish there was an cheaper placeto purchase those rc kits here :( after shipping they just aren't worth it in my opinion. they look like they would be very fun to gut and mod though.

the tx looks WAY too much like an xmod tx.

akura, your looks GREAT

turtle@mini-z
2005.04.03, 12:39 PM
I bought the Revell rc kit to test it out.... blaah.. it has NO potential IMO.. it now belongs to my 2-year old son :D It is not "a real" RC car.. I would call it a toy with a capital T... Bit-chars are much more fun. :D

..it came with 2 revell bodies though.

akura2
2005.04.03, 03:19 PM
akura2
Looks great, can't wait to have mine! Have you try it with the rubber tires from the easy kits?

Thanks guys... I have tried to fit the Easy Kit tires on the car ..the rears fit fine...although a little narrow... but the fronts are too big... the inside diameters of the rubber front tires are a tad big... I'd have to wrap something around the rim in order for them to fit tight enough... they look cool on though

Hey Arch... I noticed that your CRT came with different wheels... I think those re the "razor" wheels on yours... mine came with the "Diablos"

arch2b
2005.04.03, 03:33 PM
akura,
i am most impressed with how clean and well organized your setup is :p
i am using revell easy kit tires as i don't have anything to cut or true the faom rings or rubber rings to make indivdual tires. first i sanded the tire surface down then cut a cross hatching pattern in the rubber. i let everyone know how well they work when i get it up and running.

yes, my CRT came with the RAZOR wheels. i asked christian to substitute them for the stock DIABLO wheels as i did not have the money to buy the RAZOR wheels as option parts. i like the DIABLO wheels, but i like the RAZOR wheels more. i'm hoping that maybe tagu will make offer some new choices.

from just playing around with the kit as is, it seems a very fine balance has to be made to get the right look in terms of fitment with the wheelbase and not having the car look jacked up. ther is precious little ride height room to play with. i am very curous to get some of the new easy kit ralley truck bodies and give them a try as i obviously won't have to worry about ride height.

akura2
2005.04.03, 03:48 PM
I also noticed that the Razors have a lip on them.... I think they were machined totally different from the Diablos.... the fronts might be larger...

how did you order from CRT?.. and what payments do they/he take?

arch2b
2005.04.03, 04:00 PM
yes, the RAZOR wheels do have a lip on them. i take it the DIABLO wheels do not?

i emailed christian via his website about placing an order and we discussed several options and parts etc, and he sent me a total in euro's and a paypal address. the paypal process has slightly different conversion rates than most of the online calculators so i choose to pay with ero's and have paypal do the conversion. it endedup costing a few bucks more that way and it took awhile for the transaction to clear. much longer than a typical paypal transaction. overall it was easy and christian really did his best to get me everything i wanted such as the wheel swap etc. there was a typical 24 turnaround for emails most of the time but the responses were not always clear as there is definatley a language barrier.

akura2
2005.04.03, 09:02 PM
The diablo wheels are smooth (no lip) like most wheels made for foam tires... and I think they may be smaller than the Razors...at least the front ones... I've tried putting the rubber tires from the Revell kits on them and they fall off... the rears stay put nicely...

the foams give no traction whatsoever on dusty cement.... but I'm sure they work great on lo-pile carpet/Ozite... the rubber would be better where I run my car... at least for the time being.. I'll have to get in touch with Chris and get a set of Razors

Have you seen the slot car stuff.... it's crazy.... If I was still into slot cars, I would have to find a way to scrounge up some cash for one

arch2b
2005.04.03, 09:36 PM
yes, slot car prices are astounding :eek: if you thought mini-z's were expensive, try buying a couple nice slot cars... i've been outbid on atleast 2 dozen auctions for the fly bmw m3 gtr. that's the only non easy kit body i'm interested in, other than that i plan to stick to easy kit bodies.

if your looking for any of the current easy kits, dcaldwell@shaka.com has been good to me and sells them cheaper than any lhs i've checked within the u.s. i just emailed him about the new releases such as the citroen and 307, etc and this was his reply
We should have some of the new ones very soon. Seems like Europe gets them a few weeks before we do. The next ones will be rally cars; Peugot, Subaru, etc. The Tourareg (sp?), Pajero, Nissan, etc. are listed as available 8/30. The Ferrari is shown for 10/31 and the Lotus Cortina and BMW slots are Dec/Jan. Couldn't find any thing on R/C versions, so far. I will have all the U.S. releases eventually. Thanks for yor interest.

akura2
2005.04.04, 12:01 AM
yes, slot car prices are astounding :eek: if you thought mini-z's were expensive, try buying a couple nice slot cars... i've been outbid on atleast 2 dozen auctions for the fly bmw m3 gtr. that's the only non easy kit body i'm interested in, other than that i plan to stick to easy kit bodies.

if your looking for any of the current easy kits, dcaldwell@shaka.com has been good to me and sells them cheaper than any lhs i've checked within the u.s. i just emailed him about the new releases such as the citroen and 307, etc and this was his reply

What kind of prices are you getting from him... Jeff at Intrepid sells the Easy Kits for $14... not the newst ones unfortunately (the Rally cars)

arch2b
2005.04.04, 05:39 AM
about $14 postage included

akura2
2005.04.04, 10:21 AM
Well that's good if postage is included....

I have to re-arrange my battery setup on mine... with the battery acroess the car... the body doesn't want to quite sit on the chassis... but luckily I can set the battery in the long way if I trim down some of the threads on the bottom of the upper suspension ball heads

7.4v makes for a killer combo:D

arch2b
2005.04.04, 10:27 AM
yeah, i'm eentually going to install somethign along the lines of the atomicmods mr-02 kit. i just haven't decided on if it's easier to buy it in a kit or do it myself :rolleyes: the extra v's will be nice in pushing this little bugger around. i'm aiming for an x-speed or pn speedy with the 7+ v setup. i have faster motors but how fast can these things go and still be controllable :confused:

for now i'm stuck with the xmod batter holder 4 aaa setup.

akura2
2005.04.04, 10:47 AM
but how fast can these things go and still be controllable :confused: .

True... I havrn't tried mine on carpet yet... but on the surfaces that I HAVE been running on... controllability seems to be my biggest issue... it just wants to spin out when I half-throttle it.... I'll figure out the right combo soon enough

akura2
2005.04.04, 02:54 PM
BTW arch.... check out the LiPo charger on this page... the second item down...

http://www.eflightdesigns.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?CAT=1

$34.95....

ruknd@aol.com
2005.04.04, 03:34 PM
im more interested in that rtf micro on the bottom...ohhhh ahhhhh

arch2b
2005.04.04, 03:50 PM
BTW arch.... check out the LiPo charger on this page... the second item down...

http://www.eflightdesigns.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?CAT=1

$34.95....
what kind of power supply does that charger require?

akura2
2005.04.05, 12:43 AM
either a 12volt power supply... or a car battery... or you could use one of those 12v lead acid batteries they use in nitro starter boxes... or two stick packs connected together

warfile
2005.04.05, 07:56 AM
It finally arrived!
I will start the assembly tonight when i arrive from work! :D

pic#1 (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album593/DSC01571.jpg)
pic#2 (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album593/DSC01573.jpg)

Still missing the servo and the battery!!!!!

arch2b
2005.04.05, 07:59 AM
congrats! :D
i see you got the DIABLO wheels. you can always run the 4 aaa cell setup until you get a better battery setup. this is what i'll be doing.

i just got the vintage gi joe lunchbox (my news CRT carry case) yesterday! took awhile to clean 20 some years of dirt/grime but it's in relatively good shape. it should work well. now i just have to cut foam to keep everythign nice and cozy inside :p

warfile
2005.04.05, 08:26 AM
How will you mount the pcb on the upper deck without doing the ikinari mod?

arch2b
2005.04.05, 08:40 AM
i will be making a custom upper deck from plastic sheeting or somethign of that nature until something more professional can be had.

i still have not hear from ikinari or christian regarding the rear friction damper :(

warfile
2005.04.05, 10:01 AM
Thats bad, ikinari could post the measures of his rear dumper and the parts needed to built it!

How about the body mounts? He have his body mounted in three points!

arch2b
2005.04.05, 10:11 AM
yep, i asked ikinari if he could atleast provide plans for his rear friction damper but still no reply.

it looks like ikinari made side body mounts to work similar to the stock mini-z clips. i think he notched them to fit the rear upper deck supports and i'm not sure what he did for the front end. i still have not thought about how i want to attach the body yet. the notched clips look like a good idea for the sides but what to do about the front? i could always velcro it to the front upper deck?it woudl surely get misaligned with every bump/hit though. it would be nice to create some sort of nose clip

turtle@mini-z
2005.04.05, 02:44 PM
About the friction damper.....

I guess Chris had plans making the friction damper, but never finished the project...

If you look at the photos on Ikinari's website it is pretty easy to see how he did it... You could do the same thing.. only hard thing to find would be that small alloy thing with threads in it where the spring goes... That part Ikinari got from Chris... How do I know??? Well, when I bought my CRT from Chris I asked about the friction damper and he said that it wasn't finished yet, but he promised to send me some parts and uncut CF plate so I could build the friction damper on my own... So I also have that part.

I never built the CRT with the original CRT chassis, cause JimmyB and I started immediately designing a better chassis for the car.. Like you saw from the pictures we flipped the motor to the middle, which ment redesigning of every single chassis piece.. with the motor in the middle and some other changes, one can basicly fit ANY slot car body on our chassis.. The Citroen Saxo body that I have (page 7) is so small that I could have never ever fitted it on the original CRT chassis..

We are probably going to make some changes to the top deck or make a couple different kind of top decks, for both; friction dampers and Overland/monster oil shocks.. I'm running a GPM oil shock on my car and it works like a dream...

For the front shocks on my car, I simply drilled the threads away from the knuckles and cut 2 pieces of brass rod to which I made threads to both ends leaving the mid part unthreaded. Rest you can see in the photo I posted earlier (page 8).. :D

Well, hopefully this was helpful to you guys.

ruknd@aol.com
2005.04.05, 04:22 PM
turtle, how does it handle now? is this goign to be the next smaller than z thing :p aka you going into production?

arch2b
2005.04.05, 05:10 PM
it will be very helpful once it's available for sale :p

akura2
2005.04.05, 09:03 PM
I was noticing on JimmyB's car that he has the Diablos... but his have a lip... and on Turtle's car the rubber wheels fit on the Diablos.... I think I must have gotten an early run wheelset... my wheels have no lip and the rubber tires from the models kits are too big for the fronts.....:(

turtle@mini-z
2005.04.06, 12:26 AM
Akura, you're probably right about your Diablos being different, but no worries...

There are hundreds of different kind of Slot car tires available and I'm sure you'll be able to find some for your ol' school Diablos. :D
I bought some really soft rubbers for my rear rims and they fit perfectly.. You should be able to find proper tires at your LHS or any other place that sell slot car spare parts...

warfile
2005.04.06, 03:10 AM
i started assembly last night! :)

To mount the front hubs you need to screw it down to the end of the bolt?

turtle@mini-z
2005.04.06, 03:50 AM
1st the bolt through the CF plate...

..then a nut to lock the bolt in place..

..then the hub/knuckle screwed down to a desired ride height..

..then another nut to keep the top deck in place..

...then the front top deck...

..yet another nut to secure the front top deck..

arch2b
2005.04.06, 05:38 AM
don't forget the locktite :p i tested my motor and nearly vibrated everything apart :eek:

warfile
2005.04.06, 05:55 AM
Thanks guys, i will try it tonight when i arrive from work!

Where do you use the locktite?

arch2b
2005.04.06, 07:56 AM
something like this (http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/detail.asp?catid=10&subid=48&plid=155)... it's actually spelled loctite

basically it aids in preventing fastners from vibrating loose. i would use it anywhere you use the small nuts such as the ball pin setup on the rear bar, the screws to the upper deck supports, nuts on teh front axel assembley, etc, etc.

has anyone with a crt already had problems or used something like loctite to keep all the screws and nuts in place? mine just seems to wiggle itself apart

warfile
2005.04.06, 05:50 PM
Is this (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album593/DSC01587.jpg) normal in your diffs?

arch2b
2005.04.06, 07:05 PM
yes. you have the bearing, teh spacer, the thrust plate, another spacer and yet another spacer and the screw.

akura2
2005.04.06, 07:46 PM
yes. you have the bearing, teh spacer, the thrust plate, another spacer and yet another spacer and the screw.

Hey Arch... I contacted Chris about the razor wheels and he got back to me in like 8 hours. considering the time difference... that was pretty quick

BTW...off topic...... does anyone still go to tinyRC?... I haven't seen new posts there in a looooong time

arch2b
2005.04.06, 08:16 PM
what did christian have to say?

yes, i try to check all the new posts on trc atleast once a day. the crt threads on trc have been dead though so i started and continued with threads here

akura2
2005.04.07, 08:59 AM
well I just asked him how I could buy a set of wheels... and he said "NO problem... just order :),,, tell me where to send and I'll tell you how much to bank or put to Paypal"

so now I'm just waiting for the amounts

arch2b
2005.04.07, 09:38 AM
well I just asked him how I could buy a set of wheels... and he said "NO problem... just order :),,, tell me where to send and I'll tell you how much to bank or put to Paypal"

so now I'm just waiting for the amounts
they are listed at 35.9 euro's on his website. i don't know if he has a return/repeat customer discount or anything?

akura2
2005.04.08, 08:54 AM
they are listed at 35.9 euro's on his website. i don't know if he has a return/repeat customer discount or anything?

Nah... he got me for the full clip...:D

LOL

arch2b
2005.04.08, 11:35 AM
i look forward to seeing new pictures from you akura ;)

sorry i haven't been able to work on the CRT lately... i had to catch up on some other projects like my police m3 (just applied the decals), classic madforce (getting celar coated) and lexan civic (figured out a good mounting method and mr-02 mm chassis). oh and a full day last weekend of racing on byebye speedway :D

arch2b
2005.04.15, 07:42 PM
i just got an email from my favorite seller for these;

6 new Revell kits have been released
2 each
Citroen Xsara WRC 2004
Subaru Impreza WRC 2004
Peugeot 307 WRC 2004

I'll be taking picures This evening and may have listings posted by Sunday

akura2
2005.04.17, 07:26 AM
i just got an email from my favorite seller for these;

mmmm yummy

geoffrey109
2005.04.20, 07:32 PM
I've read most of this thread, outstanding stuff. I would like to know if anyone has been testing this car on the Mini96 from RCP, and hows it doing?

It's cool stuff, and it would seem the Mini96 would be the track of choice......

G109

arch2b
2005.04.20, 07:54 PM
i've bid on the wrx and citroen :p 3 days left ;)

those of you whom have the citroen, how does it fit the chassis? i assume it will have alot more flat room for batteries than the opel? i really want to use the opel but it's soo constricting for interior components.

i just disassembled my new xray m18 today so after i put that back together i hope to finally finish some of the electricla work. i will be replacing the stock wiring to the z pcb as the steerign wires are very thin and break easily when you move stuff around.

welcome to the thread 109! i hope to have my crt up and running on my rcp asap! it will have a nice home running next to my m18 and mini-z's.

arch2b
2005.04.22, 07:45 AM
byebye,
i have a cheap source for the kits here. $9.95 plus shipping which ends up being about $14 total. i already have all the ones that will work on the CRT including the 2 i have bid on, atleast all the ones currently released.

the opel and peugoet are the only 2 that are difficult to fit to the chassis

byebye
2005.04.22, 10:20 AM
arch2b are you online? ygm I found probably every body for the 1/32 scale revell set and am waiting for your reply.

-Byebye

byebye
2005.04.22, 10:24 AM
EDIT: not RTR set but just the easy kit bodies.

lio
2005.04.25, 03:10 AM
Hi, I'm glad to have found this thread about CRT Mini Carpet Racer :)

I'm from Hong Kong and I (almost) finished building a CRT some six months ago. Similar to some of you, I was inspired by Ikinari's set up and decided to build my own, so I ordered from Chris (yes, he is very nice guy).

I was completely new to building RC before (I did not know what a servo was maybe a year ago) so this is my very first project. To make things simple, I used all electronics (except batteries) recommended by Chris, even the transmitter. These include Jeti Rex 5 plus receiver, Graupner C141 servo, twister ESC, Multiplex Profi 301 transmitter. For the body, I ordered the Ninco VW Golf 7 up from Chris.

Chris highly recommended the twister ESC which was made in Austria. It's very small with reverse and brake plus it works under a voltage as low as 3.7 V. Chris said when the car accelerates, the voltage drops (below 4.8 V with 4 cells) hence it's preferrable to have a speed control that works under lower voltage.

The Graupner servo fits just right to the chassis. It looks almost the same as the less expensive GWS servo which made me wondered that they have the same manufacturer but are branded under different names only.

For the battery, I used 4 AAA Sanyo NiMHs assembled into a pack by a LHS as I don't have the parts and equipment to do so (USD 5 service charge).

For the stock foam tires I cut them with a small cutter. It was not that neat but was OK. I wished I had hot wires set up for cutting the tires like Ikinari did.

The rear shaft is thicker than it should be (the instruction manual said it is a manufacturing defect) and I have to sand it quite a bit to fit in the bearings.

The VW body looks very nice to me plus it's spacious inside to fit in all components without difficulites.

One of the difficulties I encountered was to bend the track rod properly in such small configuration. Another difficulty was how to mount the body onto the chassis. I still don't know how to do them properly now. Sorry if these sound silly but I really had no experience doing these things before.

It took me a few weekends to finish the project with some trial and error. And it's most exciting to see my first car running! Chris guided me all along and answered many silly questions I have asked, which I appreciated very much.

Since I like the car so much, I have ordered a second kit from Chris without the electronics (the second kit came with a Mini-Z X Speed motor as stock). I wish to work up an alternative set up with different electronics. Unfortunately I never got the time to really start the second project.

When I have time for searching ebay, I will also try to find a few more bodies to fit my car(s). I believe I can get some nice and cheap bodies there.

I would try to post some pics when I have figured out how to downsize them and upload them here.

Sorry for this long message! I'd really love to see the other cars here when they are finished!

arch2b
2005.04.25, 05:46 AM
welcome to the thread :D alwasy glad to have another CRT fan here!

i just won the wrx and citreon revell kits on ebay so i hop eot have those soon. i was dead set on using the opel astra but i just can't squeeze 4 aaa's in there without making it a mess. so, i'm going to try the citroen when it comes. i need something that will let me lay the cells down flat instead of vertical.... give me more room for the mini-z pcb.

i have no idea how to mount the bosy either :o i know i do not want to reem a hole in the body so i will look into making som sort of side body clips similar to what ikinari did. not sure what to do for the front nose but i'll figure it out somehow.

this project is just taking awhile as i have little time :( i would have loved to get to do it all in a week but it just didn't happen. i guess this way i get to enjoy the build stage a bit longer which is most of the fun anyhow.

i'm hoping we can get a nice gallery going here for CRT's :cool: if anyone needs a member galllery space, let me know ;)

lio
2005.04.29, 10:32 PM
Here's just some pics.

arch2b, love to see your car when ready!

arch2b
2005.04.29, 10:34 PM
wow! very nice! how are you mounting the body?

i should have the wrx and citreon kits in a few days, i'll do some battery test fitting and hopefully it will all fit better under one of those shells.

lio
2005.04.29, 10:49 PM
Haha, the body is not mounted at all. It just sits there for the photo :) The body is too nice for me to drill holes on it, so I am still figuring out how to mount the body otherwise. I think fast4buy did some very good side clips. I might try to copy his method.

herman
2005.05.02, 11:54 PM
cool project guys... one thing that's holding me back is the steep price...

lio... how much did everything cost you to get to h.k. (price plus shipping)? how long did the shipping take? i'm from the philippines which is about 2 hours away (by plane)

kinda stumped that h.k. doesn't sell crt in r/c stores in kws (kung wah st)...

are you into mini-z's as well? have you tried it on any mini-z track in h.k.? i'm guessing it would be definitely a head turner if it could keep up with those modified z's...

hope to hear from you soon...

lio
2005.05.03, 12:18 PM
Hi Herman,

Here's the cost breakdown in Euros:

Carbon Remote Technics Mini Carpet Racer (Chassis Set with Motor): 119
Jeti Rex 5 Plus Receiver: 36
Graupner C141 Pico-Servo: 23.6
Twister ESP: 49
Sanyo 4 X AAA 800mAh NiMH Battery Pack: 12
Ninco Body (VW Golf 7 up): 25
Alloy Rims (RAZOR): 35.9
Postage: 15.6

Total: 316.1

Everything was bought direct from Chris of CRT except the batteries from Kwong Wah Street. The Razor rims are optional as the set comes with Al rims already.

I also bought the Multiplex Profi 301 controller from CRT which costed an additional 130 Euros.

The shipping from Austria took about 2 weeks if I remember correctly. Chris was very effective in handling the order.

I am happy that you know about Kwong Wah Street :) I think anything European is not too common in the LHS in Hong Kong. For the Mini Carpet Racer, it may be a little too pricey for shops to carry considering that a stock Mini-Z costs less than 70 Euros nowadays.

I haven't tried the car on commercial tracks or raced it rigorously with the Mini-Z yet. Chris said on his website that his car overtook the Mini-Zs in races because of its performnce. I guess it should at least be a strong competition.

Btw, are you planning to build a Mini Carpet Racer too? Would love to see more people joining the scene!

lio

herman
2005.05.04, 12:07 AM
hi lio...

thanks for the reply... 446.1 euros... approximately 31,227pesos in our local currency... kinda steep which is what's holding me back... considering that the mini-z costs about 70 euros (approximately 5,000 pesos) its really a no brainer if you do the math...

plus for that amount (which is not exactly what you call a normal "working man's" wages), anybody over here can go all out on 1/10 scale on road or off road gas or 1/8 on road / off road gas... that plus you got other guys into the hobby...

it would be quite difficult convincing somebody else to spend that much on starting up on a new scale, something which is well, not too popular over here... nevertheless... don't get me wrong, i'm quite a mini fan... and the scale seems to be quite appealling... especially with that vw golf 7up body... it's just at the moment, the price is beyond me... would rather spend it on more z's... (not that i would though - hehehe got too much already)

anyway... what's the frequency of the receiver? is it am or fm? 27mhz, 40mhz or 72mhz? is the esc specifically for cars? it seems to be a very small esc...

i've been to h.k. a couple of times... its a great place for mini-z... just wish that they'd have a track that's more accessible over here...

here are two articles that i wrote pertaining to "r/c heaven"....

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5430&highlight=r%2Fc+heaven

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12050&highlight=r%2Fc+heaven

thanks again for your reply... and hope to hear from you soon... hopefully after a trip to the mini-z track... just to see how it performs against a mini-z... i'm sure it'll whip the z's ass... :D

arch2b
2005.05.04, 05:39 AM
still waiting for my citroen kit to arrive :( ....

arch2b
2005.05.06, 10:44 PM
i finally got my new bodies!

wow, the citroen and wrx are narrow. they also have more molding to trim out to even test fit them well.

i've added some more pictures (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album585?page=14)

arch2b
2005.05.08, 12:28 AM
i was replacing the servo wires to the pcb and the aligator clips holding the pcb ripped off some super tiny component. it doesn't really work at all anymore :mad: looks like the project is back on hold till i can come across another good deal on a used pcb.

McLaren F1 T3
2005.05.09, 01:33 AM
i was replacing the servo wires to the pcb and the aligator clips holding the pcb ripped off some super tiny component. it doesn't really work at all anymore :mad: looks like the project is back on hold till i can come across another good deal on a used pcb.

i can mail out a mr01 pcb for free, let me know. chentwoten@gmail.com ;)