PDA

View Full Version : BMW M3 Virginia State Police Cruiser

arch2b
2005.02.19, 05:02 PM
i amazed myself and actually moved on this project quickly! i have to have it ready by the time byebye gets back from bagdad for some "hot pursuit" :p

i actually took the time to document the work on this one too, which is something i have gotten out of the habbit of doing:o

so with the paint work nearly done, i'll take you right to the work (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album580?page=1) :D

still left... decals, custom antenna, details and the lights ofcourse.

wish the image code was turned on in this section :(

HammerZ
2005.02.19, 05:16 PM
Look's sweet, now if Kyosho would do an '04 Impala. And yea, we need an image code in this section. Let me guess, Tamiya paint was used. One reason I am into the new Impalas is because my mom has one. Is it just me or do those things look like a rehashed Skyline j/k. Can hardly wait to see it finished.

lfisminiz
2005.02.19, 10:53 PM
Great step by step documentation. Cant wait to see the end result.

fast4buy
2005.02.20, 06:08 AM
Arch, Nice work and admirable zealous documentation. Why the BMW M3 ? I think that the recently released silver Chrysler 300C would also be a good choice. A black 300C or M3 with white decals would also be an idea Mmm next project`maybe.
How will you do the flashing lights? Have you found something suitable. Pippoe I think posted a pretty well lit version of the Chevy Caprice cop car with custom light bar here somewhere.

Cheers

gulfclk
2005.02.20, 10:43 AM
nice work Arch ... keep it coming!!!

arch2b
2005.02.20, 11:07 AM
Arch, Nice work and admirable zealous documentation. Why the BMW M3 ? I think that the recently released silver Chrysler 300C would also be a good choice. A black 300C or M3 with white decals would also be an idea Mmm next project`maybe.
How will you do the flashing lights? Have you found something suitable. Pippoe I think posted a pretty well lit version of the Chevy Caprice cop car with custom light bar here somewhere.

Cheers
started a thread on the police lights (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17109&highlight=police+lights) to solicite ideas. i've laready ordered the light bar.

i choose the m3 because byebye will be making a custom police car to and picking from the mr-02 mm platform choices. this way all we have to do is swap the body during our "hot pursuit" races.

i liked the m3 because the body lines lent itself well to the virginia state police cruiser scheme well. the rather flat front end and rear end also make nice ramming techniques without scooping and or knifing into other cars. it will also be very easy to apply this bumper stips to. i don't know what byebye will choose but he will be doing a los angeles police cruiser. i've already orderd the decals.

Pippoe
2005.02.20, 12:45 PM
Nice!

Looking forward to seeing the finished thing. Will you also add a push bar?

Cheers

Pippoe

arch2b
2005.02.20, 12:55 PM
i had thought about it but since these cars will actually get used in our "hot pursuit" games, i think the pushbars would just get broken off. besides, we plan to install thin bumper stips of padded tape for protection and preventing damage to other cars.

i uploaded som more pictures....

HammerZ
2005.02.20, 01:35 PM
Nice idea for painting the spoiler. Most of the time I do mine in two stages, one tape it down and paint the bottom, and two screw it onto a Kyosho parts pack to do the top of it. I thought of the pushbars as well, and wondered how to put them on where they would be strong enough to hold up. Even if it is kept simple with two straight pieces on each side with that strip tape on it. That can help grab the other cars and "pit" them around.

arch2b
2005.02.25, 09:32 AM
well, the eta on the decals is an abissmal 2-4 weeks :( i was hoping to have mine all done in terms of paint and decals by the time byebye got back from bagdad and he could clear coat them with his new air brush ;) now it looks like they will arrive about the same time as he does. apparently they only print them when a sufficient run is pooled etc, and only mail when a desired number of orders are ready to go. not the best way to run a shop but they were the only ones that offered decals in several scale sizes. thats what i gt for not reading their faq section.

i don't think i ever received an order confirmation for the lightbars, so i'm only guessing that those should arrive in the next week or so.

i'm betting the lights will be the one thing holding up this whole project form being completed. i have a light set laready to work from, i just need a flasher and to add 2 more lights to the kit.

lfisminiz
2005.02.25, 08:22 PM
Ill be waiting.

arch2b
2005.02.25, 09:27 PM
i was surprised to get home and find the lightbars had arrived :eek: that was rather quick

here is a picture of the size/shape and general fitment (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album580/IMG_0393)

here is a picture of the actual product (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album580/IMG_0394)

Pippoe
2005.02.26, 03:36 AM
Hmmm.. the lightbar is pretty big.. 1/24 scale.. ..with a bunch of flashers mounted nobody will be able to ignore that cop car on the track. ;)

Cheers

Pippoe

fast4buy
2005.02.26, 11:39 AM
Arch,
I look forward to the finished product.
Which lightbar was that? Is there a slightly smaller one?
Pippoe which one did you pick for youe CHiP cruiser?
Im looking for an orange light bar but have not yet found a suitable cheap toy car to dismantle as i did for my cop car.

mini-z racing
2005.02.26, 12:02 PM
thats going to look great, ;)

arch2b
2005.02.26, 12:26 PM
it was the best choice i thought i had in terms of fitting leds in it. i know it's a tad on the large side but remember, it was just layed on the roof. i have to do some trimming etc, and drill mounting holes to attach it.

if there is a better option, i'm always open for suggestions.

i bought these from policecarmodels.com (http://www.policecarmodels.com/1mxli.html)

HammerZ
2005.02.26, 01:50 PM
Looking at those decals, the only Arkansas ones I see are the State Trooper markings. The thing that has me shying away from the State Trooper is we have one the works the local beat that is a real piece of work. He is infamously known, and everybody hates him. The City Police cars have a simple white base with a red/ blue graphic on the sides. The old cars did have a red/ blue stripe that run the length of the car. The graphic has the crest layed into it. Most likely for me to get them I will have to make them.

Pippoe
2005.02.26, 06:03 PM
@Arch2b
My remark about the size of the light bar wasn't meant as a criticism. If you want to mount 3mm leds you'll wan't a bigger lightbar than the one I used (even if it's slightly off scale .. although I don't actually know as it differs from those in the original car pictures in your gallery). Mountig it on the curved roof won't be easy anyway. What are your plans? 3mm leds inside the light bar and only wires outside or will you drill holes through the entire light bar (but then you'll have to figure out how to mount it without having the leds visible from the outside (due to the curved roof the light bar will be "floating" above the doors.. ).

@fast4buy
I got my lightbar off a Welly (unpainted) model from policecarmodels.com Those come with three different light bar styles (a vector, a rotator lightbar similar to the one the Mini-Z caprice.. [MX7000 or such, the crown vic in arch2b's gallery] and a flasher-type light bar [wheelen, the impala in the gallery]). Those cars are roughly 1/27 scale which makes them suitable for Mini-Z size cars.. However, the lightbars can hardly house smd-leds, 3mm leds would fit only after trimming them..

I think this is going to be a great police cruiser!

Cheers

Pippoe

arch2b
2005.02.26, 07:21 PM
don't worry, i didn't take it the wrong way. i know it looks large but it's what i picked... i'll have to make it work. i appreciate all comments, good and bad ;) in my line of work, you get used ot hearing negative opinions

i think i can get the leds to fit by drilling the holes in the lightbar and use magnet wiring and very clean soldering and keep it all off the roof of the car. i have lots of experience making light sets. i will be drilling holes in the roof to mount the lightbar so i can fish the led wires thru those holes. it's hard to explain but i have an idea of what to do. i might have to shave the ends of the leds down...

byebye
2005.02.27, 03:52 AM
an idea for shaping the light bar would be using some sheet metal from a soda can. Shape it to the cure of the roof of the car then set the light bar on it. Use a lighter or some type of flame or heat to heat the metal and rock the light bar back ond forth till it sits molded to the metal. It might work.

arch2b
2005.02.27, 06:13 AM
i don't think any shaping will be required. the roof isn't that curver and the light bar has stand off's.

byebye
2005.02.27, 06:47 AM
i don't think any shaping will be required. the roof isn't that curver and the light bar has stand off's.

Cool. Are you racing this weekend?

arch2b
2005.02.27, 07:11 AM
no, b's b-day is monday so were having a small party today.

i'm sure we will be trackside next weekend.

fast4buy
2005.02.27, 12:01 PM
Danke Pippoe,

What did policecarmodels.com charge you for postage to Germany?
2 Light bars for $15 is OK.

My safety car project awaits.
BTW Has anyone here doe a safety or pace car?

arch2b
2005.03.09, 09:45 PM
no real progress on this yet... i hope to paint the lightbar this weekend (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album54/IMG_0641).

i'm hoping the decals arrive about the same time byebye gets back from bagdad.

arch2b
2005.03.17, 11:05 AM
still waiting for the decals :( i have most if not all the real paint work done.

byebye
2005.03.17, 11:11 AM
cool for the paint work, not cool for the decals:(. I'm kind of upset that I haven't gotten my e bay plasma dash motors yet. I have everything else but the motors.

arch2b
2005.04.07, 09:46 PM
i finally received the decals :rolleyes: it only took a tad over a month....

anyway, the wife took the kids for an hour so i could install them so byebye can clear coat. i'm uploading pictures right now (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album580)

i also got byebye's los angeles police decals and they look much better than va's. i can't wait to see what he comes up with :p

bda52
2005.04.07, 10:57 PM
Arch that trooper car is really looking sweet. I cannot wait to see how you put the lights on the roof. Were you going to try to go with flashing lights?

arch2b
2005.04.08, 05:45 AM
thanks!

the lights will be the last thing to be added. i have 2 flasher units from germany being ordered so it's only a matter of time. i still have to paint the light bar though and reinstall all the body parts.

lfisminiz
2005.04.08, 08:37 PM
Thats a hot police car!

arch2b
2005.04.08, 08:51 PM
putting on the future polish tonight... the 1st coat is already dry adn it'ssooo shiny :D i'm going to do atleast 2 more coats before i go to bed. it won't be as tuff as say a nice clear coat but it will keep the decals from being scraped off easily. they cost way to much for that to happen :rolleyes:

arch2b
2005.04.14, 10:04 PM
UPDATE
i glued all the body peices back on after applying about 4 coats of future floor polish to the car.

see from here on.... (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album580?page=8)

saiyan
2005.05.03, 12:36 PM
Have you gotten your lights installed yet? You mentioned the flasher unit was coming from Germany, From where and how much? I'm trying to get my R34 police care wired up. The head and tailights are painted over so i figure i'll have to sand that off and then polish up the clear so that the leds aren't dimmed and put some sort of connector in the wiring so that i can change out bodies. I also run a Ford Focus rallye body on the same MR01 chassis. I've included pics of the body. I was gonna use Iwavers lights as they have braking action and were only $6 for the head and tail lights and i found a 'blinky' diy light kit at an electronics store, but looks kinda hoky for use in the light bar.

TNB
2005.05.03, 01:15 PM
I have that model. ;) You may want to use a Deans connector for the lights. That is what I used in my Monster Type-2 since it has 12 lights (including a lighted interior) and is somewhat of a wiring nighmare since the truck also has a cage with a "human" driving it.

saiyan
2005.05.03, 02:01 PM
Could you post a pic or link? I would really like to see your Monster2 :cool: . I have plenty of lights and some super bright leds with resistors already installed and ready to be used, I just need some sort of flashing unit that can handle multiple lights. I tried going to that German website , but could not figure out how to order the flasher unit and be able to use the Paypal feature they provide. :o

TNB
2005.05.03, 03:19 PM
There are all kinds of links in my signature.

saiyan
2005.05.03, 04:38 PM
Kewl. I checked it out, and it looks nice. As well as some of the other stuff i browsed through. Those Homies figures are great.

TNB
2005.05.03, 10:04 PM
Thanks. :)

saiyan
2005.05.04, 01:23 PM
Well i started my light project for the R34 police body. I shaved and drilled the headlights and sanded the rear film off the taillights. Now to polish them up a bit and mount the lights in. I'll probably use shoe goo for that. Still workin on a flasher yet. Going with 2 Iwaver light kits so that i'll have 4 in the front and 4 in the rear.

saiyan
2005.06.16, 06:29 PM
Here are some pics of the underside of my r34.

arch2b
2005.08.20, 10:57 AM
it looks like a ready made solution is or will finally be available!!!!!!!!!!!!!

check out the glowmasta (http://www.glowmasta.com/rcstrobe.htm) rc strobe kit :eek:

better yet, check out the video (http://www.glowmasta.com/movie/strobe.wmv)

saiyan
2005.08.20, 04:24 PM
:eek: That would be awsome :D . My circuit board turned out to be almost 1/2" thick cause of the pieces i used. It didn't leave much room, i had to put a pieces of velcro on it cause it would squish up against the antenea mount when the body was installed.

:cool: This design would give much more room, i could fit it in my Ferrari Modena body that i'm doing up police style. What language is this? How would i go about ordering like 5 of these? :cool:

arch2b
2005.08.20, 04:46 PM
email the shop, i already asked mini-z to look into ordering these but if more ask, the more of a priority they would be for ordering:p

saiyan
2005.08.26, 08:19 PM
Well, I'm gonna get some pics of my R34 in action and maybe even a video. I'll see what i can do to get them posted to my gallery and update this thread when i do.