PDA

View Full Version : Brushless Associated RC18T

Mondo
2005.02.19, 08:21 PM
In November 2K4 I bought myself an Associated RC18T with the intention of installing a Mamba25 Brushless setup into it.
At last I got around to it. Here's the rundown:

Mamba25 5400kV, I uploaded Firmware Ver 1.2 into the ESC before running it.
Hitec 40MHz FM RX
United RC X61 Matched 7.2v 1100mAh NiMh packs
I also reinforced the differential outdrives to handle the Brushless power

How does it go? Outrageous sums it up! It's wicked sick, poweslides on (dry) asphalt as if were ice!
The RC18T's handling is superb, predictable, stable and runs as straight as an arrow on top speed runs. It does wheelies on command too and when I set the throttle : brake ration to 100%, it lifts the rear wheels under braking.

Totally awesome little machine. I recommend one to everyone who's crazy about small-scale off roaders with an attitude

arch2b
2005.02.19, 08:24 PM
i would like to get myself one of these :p

what bodies fit this chassis? same as the m18?

Mondo
2005.02.19, 08:32 PM
i would like to get myself one of these :p
what bodies fit this chassis? same as the m18?

No, only the RC18T bodyshells fit without having to do some custom work on the body mounts. They are not adjustable.
I'm sure in time ProLine and Associated will release more bodyshells for it

There is a nice buggy conversion for it - see attachments

DAMZer
2005.02.19, 08:36 PM
While not a dirt friendly vehicle, what you have done is just scary!!!!!!!!!

What sold me is the drop test. Drop it from 6 inches and it just squats. Soaks it up and does not bottom out.

:D

dog
2005.02.19, 09:32 PM
i ordered one... also ordered the cvd axels and steel turn buckles (to get a heafty discount)... the car is back ordered, but as long as i get it in March... that'll be fine... :rolleyes:

sounds like there is a lot of stuff to mod with this thingy :cool:

mini-z racing
2005.02.19, 10:34 PM
It makes me want to get one, Pro-line should be comeing out with body's, also maybe even Mcallister racing

bw762
2005.02.19, 11:44 PM
They are a lot of fun. I have a Mamba 8000 in mine. I ran 10 cells and clocked it at 47mph on radar.

Check out the 18th scale forum:

http://www.one18th.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16089&highlight=47mph

Um, hope the link is not a violation of some rules :rolleyes:

mini-z racing
2005.02.19, 11:56 PM
Where i race in the summer they do off-road and dirt oval for all the 10th scales but also dirt oval for the mini-t's, i think the rules are unlimited, you may have to run a 5 or 6 cell pack but other than that anything goes ,these mini-t's last season were a blast to watch and marshal for.. ;)

Mondo
2005.02.20, 08:41 AM
They are a lot of fun. I have a Mamba 8000 in mine. I ran 10 cells and clocked it at 47mph on radar.

Check out the 18th scale forum:

http://www.one18th.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16089&highlight=47mph

Um, hope the link is not a violation of some rules :rolleyes:

Violation of "some rules"? :D NP :)

Interesting concept, I have to admit that I was quite impressed to see your RC18T was almost stock except alloy dogbones and what looks to be VCS socks all round (BRP is my guess)
The road tires obviously help keep it planted to the ground as does that huge wing. Have you upgraded to MambaLInk V. 1.2 yet?
It's a real squeeze with all those cells under the bodyshell :) but nicely done anyway.
Thje 8000 kV is a flyer, but I'm quite satisfied with my 5400, I have a 6800 in my Xray M18 and that is a handful...

Nice ride and well done, the best we've seen here so far is 56mph achieved by NoMotorLimit with a brushed ABC DTM.

Reading your reluctance to move to LiPoly, I feel the same way, to be honest I don't quite trust that battery technology yet, perhaps they'll stabilize the cells in near future, but right now IMO they're a fire hazard.

Thanks for the input and link

bw762
2005.02.20, 11:42 AM
Thanks Mondo. I was on V1.1 when I did the speed run. I recently upgraded to 1.2 though. I noticed little to no cogging with 1.2 but the accelration with low amp packs (Kans) with skinny wiring was softer. It seems like the programming slows acceleration from a stop(as opposed to letting it cog), if it senses that it is not drawing enough amps from the pack. I have no problems with the GP1100s though.

I haven't played with my 18T much since Mini-z and M18 racing started at our local HS. It sits somewhat neglected on top of my computer monitor. So much to play with, so little time. :D I haven't mentioned to my wife that I am going to start 1/10 scale racing next week. :rolleyes:

By the way the shocks are bone stock except for the stiff springs. I have a set of FT shock bodies that I planned to install some day.

I've got to find the NML 56mph link, thanks!

Mondo
2005.02.21, 07:32 PM
I broke an axle yesterday so today I popped past the hobby shop and got the following:

Associated Threaded Shocks front and rear
Associated MIP CVDs front and rear
Losi Street Tread tires front and rear

Putting only 2 packs thru the RC18T (before the axle snapped) caused huge flat spots on the kit tires, especially up front. Hopefully the Losi rubbers should offer me better grip with less sliding.
The MIP CVDs are nice, I'll see just how well they'll hold up to the Mamba, although the standard kit dogbones are solid and I had no problem with them at all.
When the snow stops it's time for another street bash :)

Moses
2005.02.24, 03:40 PM
I also got my rc18t last monday... with mamba 6800, it's super fast, even though it's -11C outside and the batteries appear quite frozen :)

Mondo
2005.03.31, 05:22 PM
Some changes...

Home brewed heavy duty steering turnbuckles
Holeshot Carbon chassis
T-Bone bumper
Some more FT Billet parts

CAW Hex Adapters with 1/10th wheels and tires

ruknd@aol.com
2005.03.31, 05:26 PM
where'd ya get colored deans?

Mondo
2005.03.31, 05:30 PM
where'd ya get colored deans?

Hmmm, they're not WS Deans connectors....
They're Venom Racing connectors

mini-z racing
2005.03.31, 06:11 PM
Those do look like the dean connectors, Ive seen ones that might be powerpole , they are red and black and are very nice too.

solartech
2005.03.31, 09:08 PM
Have you tried li-po batterys with the mamba 6800 motor? The differnce is unbeliveable with a 2 cell li-po verses a 6 cell gp battery. It almost makes my mini-t uncontrolable.

mini-z racing
2005.03.31, 11:20 PM
Have you tried li-po batterys with the mamba 6800 motor? The differnce is unbeliveable with a 2 cell li-po verses a 6 cell gp battery. It almost makes my mini-t uncontrolable.

can you even run at half throttle ? hope too see it tomarrow