PDA

View Full Version : Worn Out Gear Replacement

flood
2005.03.03, 12:50 PM
Ok so I have gone thru the stock diff gear that came with the overland. Also worn out the idler gear that came with the set. I got a ball bearing diff for it but it is not lockable :(

Can I get a replacement gear for the stock diff? how about stock idler gears?

I did get one of the derlin / metal idlers but I wore down the metal portion in less time than the original !!!

arch2b
2005.03.03, 12:54 PM
check the shop here for kyohso overland parts. you can find the exact kit number by looking at the exploded diagram that is in your manual (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album136/overland_exploded_view?full=1)

aeroelasticmz
2005.03.03, 01:28 PM
Ok so I have gone thru the stock diff gear that came with the overland. Also worn out the idler gear that came with the set. I got a ball bearing diff for it but it is not lockable :(

Can I get a replacement gear for the stock diff? how about stock idler gears?

I did get one of the derlin / metal idlers but I wore down the metal portion in less time than the original !!!

Hi,

ppl has been discussed about the ball bearing diff that cant be locked. I bought one too and found the same problem. it just doesnt give you enough torque without locking.. what I did is superglued the moveable part to the gear, I know this process is irreversible but its better than it laying there without use. of course its entirely uup to you on this decision, but i found it running surprisingly smooth with my 'glue' lock, and can produce good torque...

flood
2005.03.03, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the link to the exploded view for the overland, this will help alot!

Also I thought about supergluing the ball bearing diff together and from what you have said it works. I will most likely do this.

pomme de terre
2005.03.03, 05:25 PM
i havent tried this myself yet... since im too lazy to take apart my ball diff

but, you could try taking the balls out of the ball diff and tightening the diff down all the way
this should be reversible...

HammerZ
2005.03.03, 05:30 PM
I admit to doing that once on a racer diff that I lost the balls on a long time ago. It was interesting trying to make the corners that way. It drove like an Xmods.

flood
2005.03.04, 09:20 AM
I don't see why it would drive any differently than with the stock diff with the lock plate installed :confused:

BTW I did order a replacement stock diff and pinon set (which includes a stock idler gear)

I tried the alloy / derlin idler and was very unhappy. I wore it out fast than the original and it was 8 bux. Stock replacement was 6 and comes with alot of other spare parts.

aeroelasticmz
2005.03.04, 09:29 AM
I don't see why it would drive any differently than with the stock diff with the lock plate installed :confused:

BTW I did order a replacement stock diff and pinon set (which includes a stock idler gear)

I tried the alloy / derlin idler and was very unhappy. I wore it out fast than the original and it was 8 bux. Stock replacement was 6 and comes with alot of other spare parts.

Its so much different with the diff lock plate and without, if you use low ratio gear, like 9T. you can really feel the acceleration if your tyres have a good grip on the surface you are running, for instance on carpet. of course not much different if the surface is slippery, the wheel just spin. it does make lot of different while climbing with the diff lock on. seems like you worn out the gear really fast...

flood
2005.03.04, 09:41 AM
I have an xspeed motor and I run it outside alot. I think dirt contributed to the early failure of all the gears.

Ryan Gardner
2005.03.04, 09:49 AM
I want to replace pretty much all my gears with ones that one break down. In the shop, they have the Alloy/Delrin Main Gear/Idler , and they have a Titanium Main Idler gear - but I don't know what the difference between the two is.

I wouldn't mind locking the diff on my hummer permanently (super-glue ball diff) - it's mostly for crawling... and with my big tires on it, if I were racing it and it flipped over, I could probably spin my way into traffic to flip myself breakdancer style (shoulder on the ground, running around in a circle)

Ryan Gardner
2005.03.04, 11:22 AM
i havent tried this myself yet... since im too lazy to take apart my ball diff

but, you could try taking the balls out of the ball diff and tightening the diff down all the way
this should be reversible...

Yeah, your diff doesn't need balls... Your motor does! (er... in the can that is)

HammerZ
2005.03.04, 07:10 PM
I have an xspeed motor and I run it outside alot. I think dirt contributed to the early failure of all the gears.

flood, I have to ask, do you run bearings in this (or still the plastic bushings)? The ones the shop sells have the two bearings to support your idler gear. That may keep it lined up better, that can make it last longer too. The bearings will knock out that extra play that can wear out the gears.